Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #51
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Kinkaid View Post
So you would be ok with seeing it every 5 cars that passes you ? I'm not saying pull the plug tomorrow, but do you honestly want this car to end up like the Dodge Charger ??? Think back a few years when Dodge re-released it, everybody wanted one and look at it now everybody has one. I'm thinking long term about my investment...that's all.
Hate to say it, but the 2010 camaro is not a long term investment. Now lets say they made a z28 that looked like a 69RS....in limited numbers..like a 1000. That would be a investment.

Perfect example is the 08KR. Sure it was overpriced, and the 2010GT500 is basically a KR refined, but they only made a 1000 KR's maybe less...so that car will be worth keeping as there will not be a lot of them.

The rebirth of the Camaro was to bring it back. GM wants to sell a lot of them to be successful, and get a piece of the pie Ford has been eating from for so long. The V6 I believe will be everywhere soon. Good performance, same style and looks as the V8 without the costs.
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #52
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Not to sound selfish but I hope GM pulls the plug on this car pretty soon. For everyone and their mother to have a 2010 camaro is just not good for so many reasons. The most imporant in my opinion being VALUE, I was under the impression this car was going to be a limited edition with only so many produced. That is one of the reasons I chose to buy it, the more that are produced the less the value will be in the future (I plan on keeping it). Where I live I am one of few 2010 camaro owners, I see another one every now and then and honestly I like it this way and hope it stays this way. I don't know about everyone else but it feels nice to own and be apart of something that people don't see everyday. I can't go anywhere without people stopping to talk to me about it or take pictures or staring at me so hard while driving they almost run off the road.If these things are happening to me I know they are happening to everyone else out there who owns one. The minute you start seeing this car everywhere means it is sloowwwly loosing it's luster.:( This is just my opinion and I do not expect everyone to agree with it !
If you wanted a rare car, you should've bought a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

You knew this would be a volume car when you bought it. GM said they wanted to sell 100k units a year. They're on track to sell very close to that figure.

Furthermore, GM needs to sell a TON of these cars to get the money back on their investment.

GM is not going to pull the plug on this car.

And quite frankly, your opinion is pretty selfish.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #53
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
I'm thinking long term about my investment...that's all.
Im thinking long term about GM, Camaro and the thousands of jobs that go along with them.... Yes I want a Camaro on every corner.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #54
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
I was going to comment about the disgusting "I got my Camaro, screw everyone else and stop making them so I can feel special" comments but it would seem as though it has been addressed enough already.

Instead I'll just say this. In order for GM to survive and ever make a car as gorgeous as this one they NEED to keep this car flying off the lots. The Camaro will not save GM in terms of sales numbers, but what it will do is serve as a giant bright spot on an otherwise tarnished image. Seeing that the company can make such a great car will increase confidence among consumers and drive up the sales of Malibus, Impalas, Traverses and all the other cars whose sales WILL save GM. GM needs Camaros rolling out of the factory and down the street for as long as possible, and in turn so do we.

Oh, and to this guy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Guy Z28 View Post
Compared to 2002 sales....

This is what I found with a quick search for 2002 model year courtesy of http://www.camaro-registry.com/production.htm

Looks like we have that beat!
I think that when the guy said "2002 Camaros" he was referring to the discrepancy between the number of Camaros produced (10,682) and the number delivered (8,682) which comes out to 2,002 vehicles. Not the sales of the 2002 model year Camaro . It had me kinda confused at first too, but it all makes sense when you add in the missing comma.
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #55
Keith Kinkaid
"So you're my guardian?"

Drives: Bumblebee/2 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
If you wanted a rare car, you should've bought a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

You knew this would be a volume car when you bought it. GM said they wanted to sell 100k units a year. They're on track to sell very close to that figure.

Furthermore, GM needs to sell a TON of these cars to get the money back on their investment.

GM is not going to pull the plug on this car.

And quite frankly, your opinion is pretty selfish.

And that's why it is my opinion

"Can You Talk"..."So You Talk Through The Radio"
Keith Kinkaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #56
ShnOmac

Quote:
[/B]

And that's why it is my opinion
WOW
Old 09-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #57
Keith Kinkaid
"So you're my guardian?"

Some of you take people's opinions and the comments they post waayyyyy to seriously. This website is considered entertainment for me, I don't voice my opinion on a thread with liberal or conservative views and post comments that clearly show that I have been offended in some way like alot of you'll do. If GM makes 900,000 camaros over the course of the next 5 years GREAT...that is something they chose to do. I'm not going to loose any sleep over it or have a heart attack every time I see another one drive past me. I'm living life and enjoying my car....the car I had to wait 4 months to get after I placed my order. Everyone needs to just lighten up, enjoy the camaro they also had to wait for and stop throwing tantrums whenever you read something that you disagree with !

Old 09-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #58
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
Bingo. The 5.0 have been confirmed. So many are now waiting for the 5.0 to hit, instead of buying the 2010 4.6. It was a well known fact that the 2010 would not have big production numbers....but it is still selling decently with just a few upgrades to the shell,int, and handling.

Also the v6 is being upgraded as well in the power dept.
How do you know they're waiting, and not just buying a Camaro though? Shoppers buying a Camaro instead of a Mustang would explain the sales numbers for both cars.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #59
ShnOmac

Quote:
Some of you take people's opinions and the comments they post waayyyyy to seriously. This website is considered entertainment for me, I don't voice my opinion on a thread with liberal or conservative views and post comments that clearly show that I have been offended in some way like alot of you'll do. If GM makes 900,000 camaros over the course of the next 5 years GREAT...that is something they chose to do. I'm not going to loose any sleep over it or have a heart attack every time I see another one drive past me. I'm living life and enjoying my car....the car I had to wait 4 months to get after I placed my order. Everyone needs to just lighten up, enjoy the camaro they also had to wait for and stop throwing tantrums whenever you read something that you disagree with !

You need to remember that when you post self centerd comments that you are going to get some crap in return. There are alot of people on this site who love not just the Camaro but also GM. There are many people around here who work for GM or have friends or family that do. When someone says that they wish GM would "pull the plug" for selfish reasons of course some people are going to take it personal. You may not "lose any sleep" over it but those who could lose their job sure will.

Last edited by ShnOmac; 09-01-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #60
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
How do you know they're waiting, and not just buying a Camaro though? Shoppers buying a Camaro instead of a Mustang would explain the sales numbers for both cars.
I don't. What you stated could be true. But just as a GM loyalist waited for the Camaro, so to will a Ford loyalist wait for the 5.0

You also need to look at some more factors. The Taurus Sho has hit the market with its EcoBoost. many have been waiting for the car to come out. The Sho has a decent fan base. In truth Ford overall sales are up. So one would think, with the news of the 5.0 all over, and being a reality, you would simply wait a few months and get the better newer car.
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #61
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
I am buying used from now on lol it's just worth it to get a low mileage slighty used car for like 5 grand less 6 months later. so my plan is to snag a used 2011 at the end of 2010
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #62
1320junkie
Account Suspended

Drives: The Imperial Army
Lighten up folks...just know if you post your opinion dont get to bothered when people respond with theirs
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #63
Tag Lane
no PS requests klolthx

Drives: im a child yo
Quote:
Are you serious dude? like really? I respect your opinion, but it doesn't mean I have to agree.

Some people have been waiting years for a camaro, and you want it canceled....because of high sales? Usually good sales numbers mean the product will soldier on. You want low volume? get a G8.

Now that's my opinion.

Don't hate. Appreciate.
Tag Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #64
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
I'm thinking long term about my investment...that's all.
It's already been said but its worth repeating. You did not make an investment, you just spent money and, if you financed the car, you're spending money you don't even have yet.

Quote:
Well, its good to know you won't be bothered by seeing these cars everywhere you turn in a few months down the road, because if sales continue the way they are currently, GM is sure to build as many as they think they can sell. You bought a freakin' Camaro, dude. Just like all of its predecessors, it was designed and intended to be a sporty car for the masses, not some marvel of design and function. If you wanted exclusivity and/or a car that will always draw attention, you chose the wrong car.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #65
attymf

Drives: 2010 SS/RS 6M
If the car is rare then GM will stop making them. Personally, I plan to drive the crap out of mine and beat the piss out of it. Thus, in five years I will need to replace my 2010 Camaro SS with my new 2015 Camaro SS. So, sell, sell, sell away so that there will be a future camaro for me.

BTW, if you want yours to be rare then paint it dark brown and get a vanity plate that says "IMA TURD." That'll be a rare one fore sure.
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #66
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
Kinda funny story. I ran out to get something to eat earlier and I drive by a Ford dealer. As I drive down the street alongside the dealership I see a 2010 Mustang. "Huh" I think, it being the first one I've actually seen (maybe NOTICED is more appropriate) in person. Then I look next to it at another, then another, and another, and another....... There were about 10 brand new Mustangs just sitting there, begging for an owner, and those were just the ones I could see from the street in the failing sunlight. In contrast, I have seen 2 Camaros in person, 1 parked at a liquor store (I got a tip it was there so I drove by, I wasn't shopping.....) and the other on the street, oddly enough as I was on my way to the liquor store drive-by. Have yet to see one at a dealership at all (granted I don't make a habit of trolling the dealerships to see one). Frankly, I can't wait to start seeing more of them. Make the roads look that much better.
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #67
AZCamaroFan
Coming Soon

Drives: Camaros
Two statements here are laughable. I'm sorry, they are.
First a guy says his investment is being ruined because too many Camaro's are being built. Then he says he's not worried about it. okay.
The Camaro was cancelled because not enough were being sold. If they sell 282,000, like in 1979 i'd be real happy, because that means it's staying in production. If they sell 42,000 a year, like they were in the late 90s it'll be cancelled , and never come back.
Then there's the post that people are waiting for the 2011 mustang. Uh, right. 2-3,000 people a month aren't buying mustangs, because they all know there are rumors of an engine uprgrade in a year.
Most people that drive are not obsessed with cars, nor do they read all the news about them. See the thread about crazy things said to Camaro owners ("i heard it's limited production and costs $75,000"). Plus, all mustangs sold are not V8's.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #68
Bmart

Drives: 2001 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Not to sound selfish but I hope GM pulls the plug on this car pretty soon. For everyone and their mother to have a 2010 camaro is just not good for so many reasons. The most imporant in my opinion being VALUE, I was under the impression this car was going to be a limited edition with only so many produced. That is one of the reasons I chose to buy it, the more that are produced the less the value will be in the future (I plan on keeping it). Where I live I am one of few 2010 camaro owners, I see another one every now and then and honestly I like it this way and hope it stays this way. I don't know about everyone else but it feels nice to own and be apart of something that people don't see everyday. I can't go anywhere without people stopping to talk to me about it or take pictures or staring at me so hard while driving they almost run off the road.If these things are happening to me I know they are happening to everyone else out there who owns one. The minute you start seeing this car everywhere means it is sloowwwly loosing it's luster.:( This is just my opinion and I do not expect everyone to agree with it !
you're right, that is selfish...

Last edited by Bmart; 09-01-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Bmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #69
sgilson

Drives: Civic Hybrid, Dakota, ZRX1200R
In response to the "selfish pull the plug" post, I was taken back a bit. This car is simply to damned inexpensive to not sell in volume. It isn't for the masses, that is a fact, but it isn't for the elite either. What will make the car desirable in 30 years is just what makes it desireable now:

-For the masses
-Inexpensive
-Great Looks
-Americana through and through

As one member noted, he is going to drive the crap out of it, and many will be driven into the gound. If the car was purchased by 200000 people a year for 5 years, and 250000 people a year wanted the car but never get it and only 50000 cars a year average survive over 30 years you have demand and nestalga. Also, in 30 years the chances of the primary infrastructure for autos being unleaded is slim. These fire breathing cars will face the same issues that cars from the 60's and 70's faced, but true extinction is in most of our life times. If you want one of these beasts get it before the monster is slain. It will then be a luxury.....not a luxury car.
sgilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #70
socalicrusin

Drives: 2010 Camaro2SS/RS Summit White A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Guy Z28 View Post
Compared to 2002 sales....

This is what I found with a quick search for 2002 model year courtesy of http://www.camaro-registry.com/production.htm

Looks like we have that beat!
No, there were 2002 Camaros that weren't delivered last month (august)...I wanted to know what happened to them...do the math...
socalicrusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #71
Keith Kinkaid
"So you're my guardian?"

I'm loving everyones feedback, we all should be on a debate team ;-)

Old 09-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #72
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
Quote:

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #73
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT - VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
Im thinking long term about GM, Camaro and the thousands of jobs that go along with them.... Yes I want a Camaro on every corner.
+1

I want everyone to be as happy driving a Camaro as I am...I am as happy for everyone else that gets their car as I am with mine...
Old 09-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #74
AZCamaroFan
Coming Soon

Drives: Camaros
I wonder how many hyundai genesis coupe's are being sold
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:02 AM   #75
AngryAmish

Drives: Impala
Quote:
So you would be ok with seeing it every 5 cars that passes you ? I'm not saying pull the plug tomorrow, but do you honestly want this car to end up like the Dodge Charger ???
Actually yes, I'd be VERY HAPPY to see one Camaro for every 5 cars. First of all since I'm always driving mine I never get to see it.

Second, good sales means a 2011 model and maybe, JUST MAYBE, a Z28 model down the line at some point.

But anyway just FYI this is a car, not a stock option, if you don't mind me saying. I don't know where you got the idea this car was going to be a limited edtion either. I didn't get that impression after Lutz said "we need to sell 100k of these to justify making the car" and the fact that there was roughly 18k pre-orders. To put that number into perspective, I'm almost positive that number is bigger than the total amount of Challengers sold. Thats right, more people bought the Camaro without even sitting in it then people that bought the dodge.

So yeah, you can call this car whatever you like. Ford fans here even have my permission to call it a polished turd if they feel like it. But rare it is not.
AngryAmish is offline   Reply With Quote