Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #171
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..

Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
For comparisons sake, I thought I'd post a pic or two of the ABL in my CTS-V. However, the light shines out the bottom of the bezel while on the Camaro it would come out of the top.
Attached Images

Build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47925
FrankT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:55 AM   #172
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Ok...I have my Camaro back. I got pix from Mikes car and now just need to replace my light pipes in my car removing them from the drilled hole slots in my dash. Once I get that done, I'll be posting up the pix and what I did.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #173
HopeRidesAlone

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
sweet cant wait
HopeRidesAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #174
camaro2

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Ok...I have my Camaro back. I got pix from Mikes car and now just need to replace my light pipes in my car removing them from the drilled hole slots in my dash. Once I get that done, I'll be posting up the pix and what I did.
Can't wait to see your install pic's. I am staring this mod next week end. Got my lite pipe off the internet. Just need to find the right color LED (mine needs to be red).

I was already thinking the way you were for this install. Glad to see someone else had the same idea. GM should have set all the parts in place and ready to go before they pulled the plug.

You proved they did.

The 2-3 mm gap you see is normal as a launch issue. This would have been tweeked in if the program would have went forward.

I have done many launches on vehicles and you are right.

Great job!!!!!!!!!
camaro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #175
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2 View Post
Can't wait to see your install pic's. I am staring this mod next week end. Got my lite pipe off the internet. Just need to find the right color LED (mine needs to be red).

I was already thinking the way you were for this install. Glad to see someone else had the same idea. GM should have set all the parts in place and ready to go before they pulled the plug.

You proved they did.

The 2-3 mm gap you see is normal as a launch issue. This would have been tweeked in if the program would have went forward.

Great job!!!!!!!!!
Your dealer will have the LED's the part number is on the OP.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #176
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Definitely a nice mod for us do-it-yourselfers! Can't wait to get my car!!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #177
313to619
Fed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I went to digikey's site to order the parts but it is no longer available...http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...61-ND&x=25&y=3

I've read a lot of conflicting statements and was hoping for some help with this. Can someone tell me exactly which parts I need for the dash ABL in blue? Thanks!!
313to619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #178
Blackend SS
Mauricio

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black!
I have put this off too long I need to get this done to my car soon!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #179
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313to619 View Post
I went to digikey's site to order the parts but it is no longer available...http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...61-ND&x=25&y=3

I've read a lot of conflicting statements and was hoping for some help with this. Can someone tell me exactly which parts I need for the dash ABL in blue? Thanks!!
Hi in blue you need to get 2-3 LED's from your dealer or any GM parts house and the part number is for the blue lighting is 92238395

Next you need to see if you have the connectors (if you have a 2010 car with a VIN less then 9160000 you ok) Any car after that dos not have them and will need to add the connectors or tap in to the lighting.

No the last part is the light pipe you only need one for the dash.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #180
sherifdude
MEAN MACHINE

Drives: 2010 CHEVY CAMARO 1SS/RS
looking for website to buy clear plastic ambient light tubes.
Auxillary Gauge Packages
Halltech yellow jacket CAI
Borla Cat-Back "Rear Section" Exhaust System,S-Type

skip shift eliminator
kooks 1 7/8" header and gm gaskets and Kooks high flow cats and RX Polised Catch Can and Eibach springs
FMS CUSTOM STREET TUNING
FMS 228/240 .629"/.612" 114 + 4 cam
Manley Dual Springs, Manley Titanium Retainers
Manley Push Rods
sherifdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #181
HopeRidesAlone

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
How hard would it be to swap to a green LED?
HopeRidesAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #182
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeRidesAlone View Post
How hard would it be to swap to a green LED?
Any 5mm LED with a proper resistor would work.
Just a little bit of soldering work needed.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:18 AM   #183
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2 View Post

You proved they did.

Great job!!!!!!!!!
Well thank you very much!!! I'll get it all done asap. I've been extremely busy around the house taking down the Christmas tree, doing wash, playing with the kiddos, store stuff, and TONS of other stuff. Promise I'll get it up quickly. I need to rewire my dash so the lights sit properly and does not stick through the drilled holes in the dash, but I DO have all the pix of Mikes car. I'll start uploading them now to photobucket. Oh, and you should be able to get the red/orange lights from GM parts for like 12 bucks now. Price dropped...

EDIT:

That 2mm gap is not there on the stock panels. It only gets "created" when you put the light pipe behind it. The light pipe pushes the panel out. Is that what you meant? That they would have fixed that going into production? I read it one way the first time through and differently the next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherifdude View Post
looking for website to buy clear plastic ambient light tubes.
Your OP sells them.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:50 AM   #184
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Ok...pix have been uploaded but I need to hit the sack. I'll copy the links later on and show ya'll what I did.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #185
redZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Conv.
So 2SSRS, what is the price for the light pipe? Do you have an unlimited supply? I don't see them for sale in the classifieds.
redZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #186
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

The install method is basically the same as before, but no drilling.
1. Using the telescopic function of the steering wheel, lower the steering wheel and pull it all they way out. Lock it in place.
2. Remove the silver trim surround on the gauges. Pop it off on the corners and pull it off gently. Then slide your hand behind the surround and put your fingers UNDER the steering wheel top cover. Pop off the entire cover that is attached to the silver surround. The stop of the steering wheel shaft will come off easily.
3. Next, remove the 4 star bolts at each corner of the gauges. Be careful not to drop the screws. They are heck to find in that dash and you pretty much can't get them unless you have an expandable magnet.
4. Remove the gauge cluster and disconnect.
5. Remove both sides to the dash and both dash inserts. BE CAREFUL removing the dash inserts. Excessive bending will crack the paint under the plastic. Excessive bending can also break the backer that connects it to the dash....that would be BAD. It takes a week to get a new one in from GM parts. Use your finger and move it along the back of the insert to pop out the inserts.
6. Find the pre existing plug on the left side (if you don't have one, splice into the existing wire using a t-connector). Plug in the GM light and fish it through the side.
7. Using a flat head, carefully break apart the other side taking off the plastic holder that goes around the light. Tape off each wire to prevent them from touching using electrical tape (as in pix).
8. Find other connector behind gauge pod and plug in one of 2SS/RS's single to dual connectors (or tap into pre exising wires again). Plug in both of those GM lights to those connectors and again break off both plastic light end covers.
9. Using a wire coat hanger, cut each end and straighten it out. Fish it through the dash from the right side to the left and tape the hangar to the light. Fish the light through to the right side.
10. Measure and cut each side of the light pipe (actual lengths will be posted later).
11. Fish the light through the small dash hole on either side. On the right side, you will need to use a screwdriver and kind of open up the smaller hole a bit by moving the screwdriver in a clockwise motion in teh hole. You will get the idea once you try to move fish it through. Do that on both sides of the passenger side and on the driver side (right side). Oh, on the passenger side, you need to remove the one left bolt/screw and push that plastic piece back a bit to fish it through.
12. Using transparent clear vinyl tubing (1/4 x .170), attach the blue gm light to the light pipe. They will fit together snugly. The light pipe will hang there, but that's okay. Same thing on the left side....only one light connector on the right side of that driver side panel. Fish it through and connect it using that clear tubing. Yes, it will hang there too.
13. Reinstall the driver side insert and see how it fits. It should sit away at the top for 1 or 2 mm's.
14. Reinstall the passenger side and see how it fits. You will most likely need to add a spacer to the left side of the back of the insert to keep it from completely touching the dash. I used electrical tape on teh top of the protruding connectors which "built up" the back so it would fit better. I'll get better pix later and add to this post.

But, this way, the dash insert sits away from the dash...about 2mm at the top. Light comes out perfectly and you can't tell that it's not touching the dash at all.

Plastic fishtank tubing...that was the key to holding the light pipe in place. Yes, it hangs there. But, when you pop in the dash insert, it's held in place. If there is anyone in SA that wants to do this mod, let me know. I'd be happy to help out. We did Mikes car, but he opted to keep the dash inserts sanded so more light comes through.

After reinstalling the dash inserts, check it and make sure it looks good to your liking. Then put in the gauges and BE CAREFUL when putting the dash gauge silver surround back in. If you break one of the holders ON THE DASH, it would be BAAAAAAAD.

I'll update this soon and add more pictures later....maybe even a video.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #187
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Thank you.