Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-26-2011, 01:16 AM   #681
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSokie View Post
What diameter of light pipe do I need to get?
Does anyone know a site to get them from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrans5 View Post
Tyco doesn't carry the new ones with the LED attached to the pipe itself?? I swore they had a new one out...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #682
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Here is a video of the weather stripping. Posted this about 5 pages back.

Lupe

Visit www.camarocustoms.com for all our products and services...like us on Facebook.....check out photo albums here for lots of pics and ideas
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #683
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Tyco doesn't carry the new ones with the LED attached to the pipe itself?? I swore they had a new one out...
Those are LED strips i thought. Its a tube with a series of LED's staggered inside? I was looking at them and two concerns came up. The first was the diameter, it looks like its too thick to fit behind the trim. The second was the staggering of the LED's. I didnt think it would give you a smooth glow across the entire trim panel. It looks like it might just shine at those points where the LED's are. Maybe if you place the strip inside of a frosted Acrylic tube it might dispurse the light more.

I dont know though.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #684
STINGS
Live for On Ramps!

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2LT/RS/T.F./6M "naomi"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman0837 View Post
Anything that the tube can magnify will work to reflect the light. The trick now is finding or making something with either the white protrusion or a simple stripe will work if you can get it to stick...
Was gonna suggest some 1/16in white pinstriping, but think the adhesive on the back, would screw up the reflection.

Joe
STINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #685
Batman0837

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS # 71394
Pinstriping would work, in fact I've tried it, getting it to adhere to the fiber optics is next to impossible though...
Batman0837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #686
irocnroll

I am so frustrated with the Passenger side install. I followed the instructions and when I put everything back together I get no light shining through. The Trim piece is in so tight that when its popped back in place you cant see anything anymore. The light only shines on the far right and a very little on the left.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:16 AM   #687
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by irocnroll View Post
I am so frustrated with the Passenger side install. I followed the instructions and when I put everything back together I get no light shining through. The Trim piece is in so tight that when its popped back in place you cant see anything anymore. The light only shines on the far right and a very little on the left.
Did you cut the tops of the connectors that insert into the dash? The light pipe should sit above all of those. There is no need to cut the fasteners. If you did, you can still get by fine.

remember that when you install the weather stripping, it should be cut in sections and go at the higher end of the fasteners...to make the top stick out from the dash. something like this...

hell...I can't do it. I'll need to just take a picture to show y'all...

the WS should be cut in sections to go in between the connectors/fasteners at the top of the fasteners. It should be the exact same distance all the way across from the top of the WS. That way, it comes out even. Hope that helps...
Old 05-31-2011, 08:33 AM   #688
irocnroll

Quote:
Did you cut the tops of the connectors that insert into the dash? The light pipe should sit above all of those. There is no need to cut the fasteners. If you did, you can still get by fine.

remember that when you install the weather stripping, it should be cut in sections and go at the higher end of the fasteners...to make the top stick out from the dash. something like this...

hell...I can't do it. I'll need to just take a picture to show y'all...

the WS should be cut in sections to go in between the connectors/fasteners at the top of the fasteners. It should be the exact same distance all the way across from the top of the WS. That way, it comes out even. Hope that helps...
I ground down 2 of the plastic connectors that slide into the dash as shown in one of the DIY threads. I couldnt find the photo here. When everything clips back into place though, the Trim piece is pressed up against the dash leaving no gap for light to get through. I even tried to sand the top down to give a spot for light to go through and it still looks bad. I might be purchasing a new trim piece as I am not happy with this one.

I thought of one thing I can do to increase the gap that I might try. I think I am going to pull off the plasic strip with the fasteners on the back of the trim panel and place another 1 or 2 strips of double sided tape to make the trim panel sit out farther. If I cant get that to work, I may disconnect the wires to it and wait for a fest for someone to take a look at it.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #689
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

That's what the weather stripping is for....to create the gap. Are you using it?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #690
irocnroll

Quote:
That's what the weather stripping is for....to create the gap. Are you using it?
I was using the weather striping, but I dont think I had the right kind. I went to Lowes last night and bought some as well as some Epoxy to fix the 2 end clips I snapped off when removing the trim as well as some more exterior double sided tape. I am going to add another layer or 2 to push the trim panel away from the dash a little more.

So just for some clarification, the stripping goes between the clips with the top of the stiping level with the clips. So when the pipe sits across it is flush with the striping and the clips?

Or do I lay the striping on top of the clips and then the pipe on top of that?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:52 AM   #691
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

I gotta take some video for you like Lupe did.

I cut the weather stripping and placed it in between the connectors at the top of the connector. The light pipe sits on top of that. Hrm....I just need to do the damn video. That would really help out. But, I need an extra set of hands for that...
Old 06-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #692
irocnroll

I think I got it, I am just upset now that I had sanded the top edge of the trim piece. So now I either have to find the silver touchup paint for the trim or purchase a new trim panel. I cant seem to locate the correct color for the interior silver trim though so I may be headed over to Gene to get a new piece of trim.

I used a combination of the weatherstriping as well as adding another layer of doublesided tape behind the fastener strip. This seemed to push the trim out far enough to allow light through the dash as well as keep the fasteners completely clipped into place.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #693
mrbrans5

Drives: IOM Bahia Int. 2LT RS M6 SR BH
Quote:
Originally Posted by irocnroll View Post
I think I got it, I am just upset now that I had sanded the top edge of the trim piece. So now I either have to find the silver touchup paint for the trim or purchase a new trim panel. I cant seem to locate the correct color for the interior silver trim though so I may be headed over to Gene to get a new piece of trim.

I used a combination of the weatherstriping as well as adding another layer of doublesided tape behind the fastener strip. This seemed to push the trim out far enough to allow light through the dash as well as keep the fasteners completely clipped into place.
here ya go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
If you accidentally sand where you shouldn't have, I discovered my 2000 Toyota Camry exterior paint is the same as the factory graphite silver color.

In that case look for "1B2" or Antique sage pearl if you need to touch up the sanding.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #694
irocnroll

Quote:
here ya go...
Thank you, I just ordered some.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:49 AM   #695
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Yep...might work. That's the closest stuff I found as well. Might want to pick up another as well....at least, that's what I did. Hell, I went through 3 of them!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #696
Toasty
Custom User Title :D

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
Anybody know what the resistor values are for the oem abl LED's?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #697
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
Anybody know what the resistor values are for the oem abl LED's?
I had one break off of mine, and I use the resistor that was on my Alpena LED lights I picked up from Advance Autoparts without an issue.

I couldn't tell you the value.... But this thread has them

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42548