Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
halo8hkk

 
Drives: 2000 Z28. 2010 1SS IMB.
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,039
Ring Gear Size

maybe this has been answered and i cant find it. does any one know the diameter of the ring gear (example 8.8in, 7.625, ect) Ive tried Google it and i cant seam to find it. i know its not a common size i was just curious about how strong it is.
__________________
1990 RS = First Car -SOLD
2000 Z28 = SOLD

2010 1SS/RS = Mysstique
Whipple Supercharger
Dyno= 618hp 555tq at the wheels
IMB Silver Stripes
VIN#44025
Born: 9/9/09 Delivered: 9/28/09
halo8hkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
halo8hkk

 
Drives: 2000 Z28. 2010 1SS IMB.
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,039
i take it no one knows????????????????
__________________
1990 RS = First Car -SOLD
2000 Z28 = SOLD

2010 1SS/RS = Mysstique
Whipple Supercharger
Dyno= 618hp 555tq at the wheels
IMB Silver Stripes
VIN#44025
Born: 9/9/09 Delivered: 9/28/09
halo8hkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
Rummel Autosport
 
Drives: 92 Skyline GTR, 89 240SX
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: QT PA
Posts: 64
I believe it is the same rear end casing as a GTO, or pontiac GXP (the 4-door not the solstice).
I don't remember what it is off hand, but it shoudl be the same one from what I remember, so look it up for a GTO for now.
Rummel Autosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 6,057
Ask Robin Lawrence on this site. He is from GM Powertrain. I believe he told me that the ring gear is 8.6" and the center section has a 2 pinion positraction unit.
__________________
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,850
Why don't you call the manufacture.
http://www.aam.com/index.php?s=199
__________________
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
Robin Lawrence
 
Robin Lawrence's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Galesburg, Illinois
Posts: 447
I am not from GM Powertrain. I work with GM Performance Parts.

We compared the Ring and Pinion to a G8 setup and they are close but not close enough.

It is a 8.6" plus a little bit from what I am told. American Axle supplies the assembly with components from several vendors.

From what I have observed the center section is made by ZF. The half shafts are made by Delphi.

I have had issues with "one wheel peel" during burnouts at the track.

I had contacted some people at Eaton about making a True Track diff but they have a lot of other priorities at this time.

I have sent a 3.27 R&P to my buddy at Motive in the hopes that they will develop a gear for the Camaro. The center section is aluminum so there is a limit to how much power that will hold.

I noticed that someone talked about building drop in center sections. IMHO this would be the best way to get the gears and diff that we need.

Robin
__________________
Holley Performance Products

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
ZZcamaro


 
Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
I noticed that someone talked about building drop in center sections. IMHO this would be the best way to get the gears and diff that we need.

Robin
I hope somebody will do it!! Hopefully this winter. I have a serious build that you all will love to see, but my only concern is the rear diff and gears. I have everything else covered already! and yes this whole build will be documents, and available as several packages.

But yes I think a driveline company should make drop in rears that can handle real power.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
camaro1

 
camaro1's Avatar
 
Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 1,588
if no one has a ring and pinion kit by spring im just going to buy a LS3 rear diff for my L99 car and gain a little from the 3.27 to a 3.45,,id really like a 3.73-3.90,, the complete rear diff can be purchased for around $1100 from gm
__________________
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
Becustom
ProCharged 600 + RWHP
 
Becustom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS White/Hugger Orange
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 174
So there is nobody making a 3.90 or 4.10 for these rear ends yet ?
They really need a gear.
__________________
Becustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
POWERFREAK
I.AM.
 
POWERFREAK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS/M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 2,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becustom View Post
So there is nobody making a 3.90 or 4.10 for these rear ends yet ?

__________________
2010 R6P-2SS/RS/LS3 - IBM w/ silver rally stripes / UNDER CONSTRUCTION.

NY5thgen.com
POWERFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #11
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat
 
PoleCat2SSRS2010's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SSRS for weekends mostly
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
I am not from GM Powertrain. I work with GM Performance Parts.

We compared the Ring and Pinion to a G8 setup and they are close but not close enough.

It is a 8.6" plus a little bit from what I am told. American Axle supplies the assembly with components from several vendors.

From what I have observed the center section is made by ZF. The half shafts are made by Delphi.

I have had issues with "one wheel peel" during burnouts at the track.

I had contacted some people at Eaton about making a True Track diff but they have a lot of other priorities at this time.

I have sent a 3.27 R&P to my buddy at Motive in the hopes that they will develop a gear for the Camaro. The center section is aluminum so there is a limit to how much power that will hold.

I noticed that someone talked about building drop in center sections. IMHO this would be the best way to get the gears and diff that we need.

Robin
Is there anyone brave enough to take the pioneer route and get with Currie to get a 9 inch made into a IRS that will bolt right in and have the same wheel bolt pattern? At least that way there is room for power and an almost infinite selection of gear ratios. I have seen things like that before in other cars.
What about the Corvette guys? What are they doing to support high power?

Just wondering but it seems frustrating to feel stuck in a box for now and not have any choice.
__________________
PoleCat2SSRS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #12
Kenny
 
Kenny's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS RS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brampton Ontario
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becustom View Post
So there is nobody making a 3.90 or 4.10 for these rear ends yet ?
They really need a gear.
__________________
Delivered July 30 2009
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #13
ZZcamaro


 
Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becustom View Post
So there is nobody making a 3.90 or 4.10 for these rear ends yet ?
They really need a gear.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #14
rodimus prime
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Cargo van.
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Metal Metal Land
Posts: 1,248
Vengence Racing is trying to get some done by January.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #15
Rick@Metco
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 View Post
Is there anyone brave enough to take the pioneer route and get with Currie to get a 9 inch made into a IRS that will bolt right in and have the same wheel bolt pattern? At least that way there is room for power and an almost infinite selection of gear ratios. I have seen things like that before in other cars.
What about the Corvette guys? What are they doing to support high power?

Just wondering but it seems frustrating to feel stuck in a box for now and not have any choice.
Maybe even a solid axle conversion...

If it could be done, I'd be willing to take the slight hit on ride quality & handling in favor of a bulletproof solid axle that doesn't hop.
__________________
2010 Camaro RS/SS
2009 Challenger SRT8
1986 Monte Carlo SS (GN-Powered)
1984 Monte Carlo SS (Rat-Powered)
Rick@Metco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #16
hamidar05
 
Drives: 10 Camaro/69 Bronco/08 Mazda3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 305
Not a Corvette Rear End - dang

I guess you guys answered my question. I was hoping it was a C6 rearend, and there were already mods available. Sounds like that is not the case (no pun intended)...

All gear vendors here this - 4.10s hurry up!
__________________
Selection Worksheet - 04/27/09
3300 - 08/03/09
6000 - 08/25/09
VIN# 34612
Bitchin Camaro - Dead Milkmen - http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/8092
Thank You Oshawa - Domo arigato Mr. Roboto
~1600 mi so far - 07/18/10
hamidar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!
 
THUMPER20X's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Great Red North
Posts: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamidar05 View Post
I guess you guys answered my question. I was hoping it was a C6 rearend, and there were already mods available. Sounds like that is not the case (no pun intended)...

All gear vendors here this - 4.10s hurry up!
Id rather a 4:11 Less teeth = Stronger gear
__________________
THUMPER20X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
ZZcamaro


 
Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,706
3.73 or 3.93 for my build!!!
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #19
camaro1

 
camaro1's Avatar
 
Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
3.73 or 3.93 for my build!!!
same here,, wonder who the first company to get these out will be?
__________________
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #20
Roger Ramjet
Motor Head
 
Roger Ramjet's Avatar
 
Drives: CTS-V
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: So MD
Posts: 494
Anyone got an update to the rear gears?
__________________
History Camaro's: 83, 93, 95, 98, & 10.
Roger Ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #21
hamidar05
 
Drives: 10 Camaro/69 Bronco/08 Mazda3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjet View Post
Anyone got an update to the rear gears?
PM'd ADM - says Q1-Q2 next year

__________________
Selection Worksheet - 04/27/09
3300 - 08/03/09
6000 - 08/25/09
VIN# 34612
Bitchin Camaro - Dead Milkmen - http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/8092
Thank You Oshawa - Domo arigato Mr. Roboto
~1600 mi so far - 07/18/10
hamidar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #22
camaro1

 
camaro1's Avatar
 
Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 1,588
looks like i might just swap in the 3.45's for now till there are other gear ratio options
__________________
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #23
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,927
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@Metco View Post
Maybe even a solid axle conversion...

If it could be done, I'd be willing to take the slight hit on ride quality & handling in favor of a bulletproof solid axle that doesn't hop.
there's a handful of shops that are already doing SRA conversions. but most arent planning on marketing it as a built to order kit. time will tell tho


Quote:
Originally Posted by THUMPER20X View Post
Id rather a 4:11 Less teeth = Stronger gear
4:10....4:11.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
looks like i might just swap in the 3.45's for now till there are other gear ratio options
from the looks of things with this rear, you wont be swapping just the gears themselves. you'll be swapping the whole diff center section to make things easier
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #24
camaro1

 
camaro1's Avatar
 
Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post



from the looks of things with this rear, you wont be swapping just the gears themselves. you'll be swapping the whole diff center section to make things easier


the complete diff from gm is only $1100 with 3.45 gears
__________________
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:31 PM   #25
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,927
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
the complete diff from gm is only $1100 with 3.45 gears

only.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
L99, A6 (1st gear discussion?) SGOS252382 V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) 28 07-21-2014 10:27 PM
Piston to Valve Clearance? My First Camaro! Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 3 08-18-2009 08:26 PM
Using 6th gear? ladysman07 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 33 08-17-2009 08:35 PM
Do you think it was right that the mustang got to use the trackpack in the comparison perfxn Chevy Camaro vs... 91 03-30-2009 10:44 PM
Camaro Manual Transmission LSxcellent 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 17 08-01-2007 06:11 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.