Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
TT C6
Banned
 
Drives: C6, 96 383ci Z28 hardtop
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 126
5th Gen Camaro curb weight updates. Sticky thread?

I have been closely watching trying to confirm the curb weight of the different 5th Gen Camaro models.

What is the latest info on curb weights for the base V8 and SS coupes and convertibles?

Can we sticky this thread for curb weight information updates?
TT C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
No_Quarter
 
No_Quarter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 37
The curb weight is important to me as well. I hope some info. comes in shortly.
__________________
Ford and Chevy fan
No_Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Mythic
 
Mythic's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: VaBeach VA
Posts: 349
Currently 0 official word on GVW or Curb Weight or anything.
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
Camaro_crazy
 
Camaro_crazy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Victorville, CA
Posts: 125
Send a message via AIM to Camaro_crazy
So far, We have been told it's Going to be less than the G8. A GM Representative even said it has been sent to Jenny Craig or something like that. I'm guessing it will most likely be between 3500 lbs and 3800 lbs. Hopefully 3500. More than likely, 3800.
__________________
"America is all about speed. Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Camaro_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_crazy View Post
So far, We have been told it's Going to be less than the G8. A GM Representative even said it has been sent to Jenny Craig or something like that. I'm guessing it will most likely be between 3500 lbs and 3800 lbs. Hopefully 3500. More than likely, 3800.
+2 If it costs a little more weight to make it more rigid than the 4th. Gen., I'm cool with that.
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
MerF
Go Rays!
 
MerF's Avatar
 
Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St Pete, Florida
Posts: 2,537
No sticky because no info. Camaro5 admins and mods are great about the fact that they don't showboat or highlight rumors only facts.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
LS9CamaroSS
 
LS9CamaroSS's Avatar
 
Drives: Cavalier RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jordan, NY
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
No sticky because no info. Camaro5 admins and mods are great about the fact that they don't showboat or highlight rumors only facts.
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:50 AM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 22,039
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Any facts will be added to the facts page. curb weight guesses, I'm with MerF. If there is enough interest in the topic, it won't get burried. If not, then I don't think its important enough to deserve a sticky.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Any facts will be added to the facts page. curb weight guesses, I'm with MerF. If there is enough interest in the topic, it won't get burried. If not, then I don't think its important enough to deserve a sticky.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:18 AM   #10
TT C6
Banned
 
Drives: C6, 96 383ci Z28 hardtop
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 126
Well guys. I think the curb weight of the 5th Gen Camaro is the most important variable about the car and will determine how well it sells.
So, yes. I think it should be a sticky.

If it weighs much more than a C5, rear seats would be the only reason anyone would buy a 5th Gen Camaro over a used C5 or C6.
TT C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT C6 View Post
Well guys. I think the curb weight of the 5th Gen Camaro is the most important variable about the car and will determine how well it sells.
So, yes. I think it should be a sticky.
I agree that the curb weight will be very important for a lot of enthusiasts. However, the majority of buyers aren't like us and aren't enthusiasts...they wouldn't have a clue about curb weight.

I disagree that curb weight should have its own sticky. Here's why. We have a "2010 Camaro Facts" thread which IS a sticky. When curb weight specs are revealed by GM as a fact, the information will be added to the Facts thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT C6 View Post
If it weighs much more than a C5, rear seats would be the only reason anyone would buy a 5th Gen Camaro over a used C5 or C6.
??? WHAT???

If that's the case, and I'm following your logic to a "T," the ONLY reason I and everyone else on this board (and everyone else for that matter) is buying the new 5th Gen is because it has a rear seat.

Sounds a little off, right? I HIGHLY doubt the Camaro would ever reach (let alone beat) the weight of the Corvette....just not going to happen. The reasons people are buying the new 5th Gen over a used C5/6 are far more than weight alone.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT C6 View Post
Well guys. I think the curb weight of the 5th Gen Camaro is the most important variable about the car and will determine how well it sells.
So, yes. I think it should be a sticky.

If it weighs much more than a C5, rear seats would be the only reason anyone would buy a 5th Gen Camaro over a used C5 or C6.

More interior room (over all) and rear seats are important. But more that that, many people just don't want a Vette.

And the new V8 Camaro will most likely weigh 500 lbs (or so) more than the
C5/C6 Vettes.
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #13
LS9CamaroSS
 
LS9CamaroSS's Avatar
 
Drives: Cavalier RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jordan, NY
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
More interior room (over all) and rear seats are important. But more that that, many people just don't want a Vette.

And the new V8 Camaro will most likely weigh 500 lbs (or so) more than the
C5/C6 Vettes.
i'd expect the Top dog Camaro to weigh more than 500lbs more than the current Corvette... the Vette comes in at 3200 lbs... this car is going to be lucky to hit 3700 in base V8 form or possibly Base V6 form... That is due to the heavier than average Zeta platform... Alot of people on here guess the Car will come in at about 3750 or 3800 i'm not sure if that is V8 or V6 car though... the Top dog before options i think will be about 3900-4000...
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #14
MerF
Go Rays!
 
MerF's Avatar
 
Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St Pete, Florida
Posts: 2,537


There's more than enough speculation to go around, I wish these threads would chill till September.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:48 AM   #15
TT C6
Banned
 
Drives: C6, 96 383ci Z28 hardtop
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 126
Well, I'm reading reposts from the "Camaro focus group" now.

What is the latest information on curb weight?
TT C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:34 AM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 22,039
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT C6 View Post
Well, I'm reading reposts from the "Camaro focus group" now.

What is the latest information on curb weight?
only solid info is that it will be less than 4000 lbs. Beyond that, we are guessing that it will be 3700-3800 lbs for the base V8. A bit less for the V6, a bit more for the supercharged one. Oh, and apparently Jenny Craig has been called.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #17
TT C6
Banned
 
Drives: C6, 96 383ci Z28 hardtop
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
only solid info is that it will be less than 4000 lbs. Beyond that, we are guessing that it will be 3700-3800 lbs for the base V8. A bit less for the V6, a bit more for the supercharged one. Oh, and apparently Jenny Craig has been called.
My fully loaded 1994 Camaro Z28 convertible weighed 3,666 at the track.
I REALLY hope a 5th Gen V8 hardtop weighs less. 3,500 pounds is my limit for a V8 hardtop.
If it weighs more than that, it makes sense to buy a used C5/C6 or no option LS3 C6.
TT C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:18 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT C6 View Post
My fully loaded 1994 Camaro Z28 convertible weighed 3,666 at the track.
I REALLY hope a 5th Gen V8 hardtop weighs less. 3,500 pounds is my limit for a V8 hardtop.
If it weighs more than that, it makes sense to buy a used C5/C6 or no option LS3 C6.
This is going to sound harsh...but you better go ahead and start pricing a few C6's, then. 3500lbs is dreamland for a V8 version of this car.

They're not 'errors' per-say, but you compare a 2009 vehicle with one in 1994. There is going to be significant wieght gains in a time span of 15 years. All due to saftey/luxury improvments. And you compare this car to one with a LRA. IRS weighs more, there's no getting around that.

Just something to chew on; numerous magazines all reported that the G8 doesn't FEEL like it wieghs 3995 at all due to it's "World-class chassis". The Camaro is going to be even stiffer, and lighter than the G8. So it stands a very good chance at FEELING like it weighs like 3500, even though it comes in near 3700, for instance.

Don't write it off just yet because of wieght.......
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #19
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13
 
The_Stache's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT C6 View Post
My fully loaded 1994 Camaro Z28 convertible weighed 3,666 at the track.
I REALLY hope a 5th Gen V8 hardtop weighs less. 3,500 pounds is my limit for a V8 hardtop.
If it weighs more than that, it makes sense to buy a used C5/C6 or no option LS3 C6.
Start looking for the vette, the V8 5th gen won't weigh less than 3600lbs, that I can guarantee.
__________________
A.K.A - Diarmadhi (old handle) - So much to do.. So little money
Owner : Fast-Stache Industries LLC
The_Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #20
50SBLOW
Ex Mustang Owner
 
Drives: 88 Z28, 05 Durango
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SATX
Posts: 29
If it weighs more than that, it makes sense to buy a used C5/C6 or no option LS3 C6.

Makes sense to you. A lot of us are buying this just because it is a Camaro. My days at the track are done so I don't care if it weighs more than 4k.
__________________
Ex Mustang owner

Last edited by 50SBLOW; 05-22-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: oopsie
50SBLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:31 PM   #21
TT C6
Banned
 
Drives: C6, 96 383ci Z28 hardtop
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 126
I already have bought a C6. 2 to be exact.
I have driven the G8, and it FELT all of 4,100 lbs.
I'm standing by my post; 3,599lbs for a hardtop V8 if it 99 lbs makes anyone feel better.

I do appreciate a 5th Gen SS convertible (even at 4,000lbs) because it's a CAMARO, it's as beautiful as the 1st Gen, and it's a 4 seat convertible.
If I had kids, I could see rolling out in an all black 5th Gen vert for family night even at 4,000lbs.
But, for a muscle car coupe, GM has got to get the weight DOWN.
TT C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #22
Maddog78
 
Maddog78's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 Z28
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: BC
Posts: 378
I vote no sticky. It'll be at the top when the data is released.
Everything else will just be speculation.
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #23
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13
 
The_Stache's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT C6 View Post
I already have bought a C6. 2 to be exact.
I have driven the G8, and it FELT all of 4,100 lbs.
I'm standing by my post; 3,599lbs for a hardtop V8 if it 99 lbs makes anyone feel better.

I do appreciate a 5th Gen SS convertible (even at 4,000lbs) because it's a CAMARO, it's as beautiful as the 1st Gen, and it's a 4 seat convertible.
If I had kids, I could see rolling out in an all black 5th Gen vert for family night even at 4,000lbs.
But, for a muscle car coupe, GM has got to get the weight DOWN.
GM has already stated its not a muscle car, its a rwd coupe for todays day and age. Meaning its safe, economical, and fun to drive(in that order). This car cant become the same thing the 4th gen did and survive. If this car is pure performance and nothing else it will fail. Thats why the V6 is more important than the V8 to the cars success.
__________________
A.K.A - Diarmadhi (old handle) - So much to do.. So little money
Owner : Fast-Stache Industries LLC
The_Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #24
bowtiedriver
 
bowtiedriver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 WhiteHot G8 Gt
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 70
I get what GM is doing with the whole marketing scheme, calling the car a rwd coupe. That may change some soccer moms mind, but to me I see a Camaro, a muscle car. I can see how they don't have to stress the power aspect, being that when someone says Camaro, you immediately think power,speed, and raw muscle.
Its kind of like a 21 year old girl going to a bar but calling it a club because it makes it seem hipper and cool. Would not want that old dirty bar where those old guys hang out at.
Give me a break, call it what it is, a modern day, technologically advanced performance car/muscle car. Possibly the best Camaro ever.
Sorry to go off weight topic but the whole changing the name of something to sell more of it, I see the same product, but I guess it works on some people so whatever.
bowtiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #25
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13
 
The_Stache's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtiedriver View Post
I get what GM is doing with the whole marketing scheme, calling the car a rwd coupe. That may change some soccer moms mind, but to me I see a Camaro, a muscle car. I can see how they don't have to stress the power aspect, being that when someone says Camaro, you immediately think power,speed, and raw muscle.
Its kind of like a 21 year old girl going to a bar but calling it a club because it makes it seem hipper and cool. Would not want that old dirty bar where those old guys hang out at.
Give me a break, call it what it is, a modern day, technologically advanced performance car/muscle car. Possibly the best Camaro ever.
Sorry to go off weight topic but the whole changing the name of something to sell more of it, I see the same product, but I guess it works on some people so whatever.
Well if we want to get technical the camaro and mustang are "pony" cars, cars built on a smaller chasis than a true sedan. True muscle cars are behemoth coupes and sedans with giant displacement motors stuffed in them.

But enough of semantics. The new camaro will be more marketed towards safety, Fuel efficiency, and affordable than to an enthusiast. GM knows they already have the enthusiast with the V8 monster, no need to push those sales. They need the people who ARE biased against it just because of previous generation history to look at it and realize its a great car all the way around.
__________________
A.K.A - Diarmadhi (old handle) - So much to do.. So little money
Owner : Fast-Stache Industries LLC
The_Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro Product Manager - interview Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 04-04-2012 06:10 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 07:33 PM
Official Camaro Convertible CONCEPT Press Release Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 12 11-18-2009 07:05 PM
I'm not sure if I'll buy a 5th Gen. Camaro Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 68 06-13-2009 05:18 PM
5th Gen Camaro LS3 info from Chevy Hi-Po...READ TAG UR IT Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 295 03-07-2008 10:06 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.