Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 09-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
Tom0662

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
1998 Camaro SS

Hello everyone. Has been a while since I last had a Camaro. I have been holding out for a C7 Corvette on the lightly used side. Anyway I stop by the dealership to look at a 2008 Z08 and owner of dealership wants to show me a used Camaro for cheap he says. So I am thinking hmmm. Get back in shop and see it doesn't look too bad. He starts it up, sounds awesome, obvious cam has been done on it.

I was told the owner of the car and his wife bought it to mod and enjoy together. Things I know about it so far are that it does have nitrous setup on it, 9" rear, I see cast on the heads 243 so I am assuming that is what it has. Not sure yet if ported and polished. Quad outlet exhaust with cutouts. Not sure if transmission is original or not.

I am going to dealership Monday and still need to drive it, find out what they found wrong with it on inspection, talk to owner and find out what all he did to it, and if dealer will do a carfax for me. I would also like to find out if it has been raced or not. It currently has around 51,000 miles. Not sure if original paint. Did notice when I looked under it a little oil hanging off oil pan and a little on rear diff. Not sure if it is the oil pan leaking but from what I have been reading it is a 4-5 hour job to reseal? I had a 2009 Corvette that started getting oil on pan and I found the oil filter not fully tight.

I was told the owner had over $30,000 into it, at least I think they said that . I know they said he insured for 30. I guess when I seen the nitrous on it, it has me a little leary of it. I know if setup right there should be no problems. So anyway will be going to dealer Monday and if I say yes, sign papers. They want $9000 for it as is and since it is heavily modded they won't give me any kind of warranty short of tail light. I know it is not a lot to go on but what do you guys think so far? Video below. I know in person this thing sounds awesome and when cutouts open GTFO, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=O0x4YsxuWg8
Tom0662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #2
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
The oil could be the OPSU(oil pressure sending unit) feel around back of the intake manifold/block on the drivers side for oil residue.

243 heads are off an LS6 and the best stock LS1/6 head.

Bring $7k put 6k in one pocket $500 in another and have $500 sock money.

Offer 6k if you like it and don't go over 7k.

They can't sell it on the lot its too old and will have to roll it through the auction.

Your offer might be the best they get,good luck.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:29 PM   #3
Tom0662

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
The oil could be the OPSU(oil pressure sending unit) feel around back of the intake manifold/block on the drivers side for oil residue.

They can't sell it on the lot its too old and will have to roll it through the auction.

Thanks for the reply. Was wondering about possible oil pressure sending unit.
The rest of it, sounds like a plan. Thanks again.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #4
King Nothing
Under a Freightliner

Drives: Sentra, Durango and Camaro
Quote:

Once you remove the coil packs on the passenger side and assuming the AIR injection is not installed, yes you can snake your hand back to feel the back of the head. The only real ways are either look from underneath which is a guessing game or remove the intake manifold and then you'll be looking directly at the sending unit. Also the PCV line could be cracked and leaking oil, it travels from the throttle body along the passenger side valve cover and then connects to the driver side valve cover going behind the intake manifold. Again removing the intake manifold is the best way to visually check this out.

There are two different 243 heads: the 243 heads from a z06 with sodium filled valves and the 243 heads on a LS2 that have the normal valves in them . . . you won't know which is which unless you have the head disassembled.
DD-06 Sentra
2000 Camaro SS A4 Hardtop
#867 of 8913

Last edited by King Nothing; 09-26-2016 at 12:45 PM.
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:39 AM   #5
Tom0662

Well I ended up buying it. They didn't budge much off that price. I did get in touch with the previous owner and found out a little more about it. He could not find the build sheet on it as he thinks when they were moving stuff over the years it all got tossed. I may be able to get all the info on the engine from the company that built it, DynoTune in Watertown SD. Some of you may know of or heard of the guy that owns the company, Andy Wick. I will try to talk to him and see if he has the records of it.

So, the previous owner told me that it was an out of chassis build. It has a Magic Stick 3 cam, Patriot heads, Centerforce clutch, T56 transmission that got all new gears and bearings etc., O2 blockers installed, he also said it was fully rollerized and of course the N2O setup for a 160 shot currently, and sub frame connectors.That's about all he could tell me since it was done over 5 years ago. They only drove it 500 - 1000 miles per year so pretty low miles on the engine still.

When started cold and give it a little throttle it will rev up some then drop down and almost die and do that a couple times until warmed up. The MAF looks fairly dirty so I am going to get some MAF cleaner to clean that up. The throttle body and blade look good but is pretty black in the IAC area, so will get that all cleaned out, reset ecm and see how that goes. A few things to get fixed up, nothing big. Overall I still think I got a lot of car for the money. I have 2 guys already wanting to buy it from me, of course they only want to give me what I paid for it, lol.

Looking at a catch can setup currently but before I spend the money on that I want to find out how the engine was setup and if I really need to put one on. I would think they would have did that when the engine was done. I will update later as I find out more.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:32 AM   #6
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Congrats

I hope she brings you many miles and years of happiness
Old 09-26-2016, 12:47 PM   #7
King Nothing
Under a Freightliner

Congrats!!! Now we need pictures!
DD-06 Sentra
#867 of 8913
Old 09-26-2016, 01:44 PM   #8
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Sounds awesome. Hopefully the car is reliable for you!
SynergyGreenSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:36 AM   #9
Tom0662

Quote:
Congrats
I hope she brings you many miles and years of happiness
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyGreenSS View Post
Sounds awesome. Hopefully the car is reliable for you!
Hope so. Has been a looooong time since I bought a car older than new to 3 years old. I have gotten use to always having warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
Congrats!!! Now we need pictures!
Couple pictures I took with cell phone before I bought it. All I have right now.
Oh and ignore the red corvette, they wouldn't sell it to me. Guess it was sold. Details
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
King Nothing
Under a Freightliner

Congrats on the purchase! In my opinion, get rid of the headlights, turn dignals, tail lights and body kit . . . just my opinion lol
DD-06 Sentra
#867 of 8913
Old 09-29-2016, 03:52 AM   #11
Tom0662

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
Congrats on the purchase! In my opinion, get rid of the headlights, turn dignals, tail lights and body kit . . . just my opinion lol
Were you think back to stock lights?? I ask because when I first seen those that is what I thought about was getting the stock lights for it.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #12
King Nothing
Under a Freightliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom0662 View Post
Were you think back to stock lights?? I ask because when I first seen those that is what I thought about was getting the stock lights for it.
I'd check LS1tech, eBay and Craigslist for stock lights! Be careful. Or to get the aftermarket stock style lights, I haven't come across a set that won't be level and project the light in the correct spot.
DD-06 Sentra
#867 of 8913
Old 10-03-2016, 07:42 PM   #13
Mck9898

Drives: 1997 Chevrolet Camaro ss
car id has stock lights as well
1997 CAMARO SS SLP 5.7 LT1 MN6 build #2263
Mck9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:06 PM   #14
Tom0662

Well I blew it. Found an auction on ebay for a pair of used tails. Bid was at 124 with 2 hours to go. I should have put in a bid. I zonked out in my chair, lol. Auction ended at $141.19. Tails are a little hard to find. Seems most used ones have cracks etc. New ones run up around 180 - 200 per side. Does not matter much since we are nearing winter. Will keep looking.

Not sure what the guy did but I replaced the front turn lens as they were melted from the bulbs. On removing the headlight housings there were modules stuck to the bottom of them. Wires went from the module and were spliced into the turn and marker bulbs, hmmm. Car doesn't have leds so not sure what they are for. Guess I didn't look at the modules to see if they had any info on them.

Picked up a QTP (Quick Time Performance) electric cutout to replace the worn out rattling one currently on it. Man these QTP's are built like a tank.

Got rid of the radio tower antenna and put a 12" on.

Have a new oil pressure sensor to install now, anyone want to come over and fish out the old one??
I tried to reach around the back and got my hand on the old one a little bit. Will need to remove a couple things to do it or just remove intake manifold and do it that way. Haven't decided on a battle plan yet.

Removed the MAF and throttle body and cleaned both. Does not look like that is going to fix the flat spot off idle. Looks like original IAC so am going to replace that. Just acts like it isn't responding quick enough. Not saying that WILL fix it but figured I will replace it anyway.

Just wondering if there is a possible TPS issue. They had a check engine light with a TPS fault at the dealer and replaced it. I had started the car one day and let it idle without revving or anything and within 5 minutes the cel came on. Check faults and TPS fault again, so the issue may be there too. Other than that flat spot off idle the thing runs good, well short of the rich exhaust smell. I think I'm getting maybe 8 mph if I'm lucky, she is a thirsty thing. Need to get it to the tuner and have it checked.

I get 1320 feet per gallon, yeah that's it.