Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Space and the Hubble....

Just curious who else is interested in this kind of stuff?
Some pretty amazing pictures in the link at the bottom..
Link courtesy of MR.icky

September 9, 2009: NASA's Hubble Space Telescope is back in business, ready to uncover new worlds, peer ever deeper into space, and even map the invisible backbone of the universe. The first snapshots from the refurbished Hubble showcase the 19-year-old telescope's new vision. Topping the list of exciting new views are colorful multi-wavelength pictures of far-flung galaxies, a densely packed star cluster, an eerie "pillar of creation," and a "butterfly" nebula. With its new imaging camera, Hubble can view galaxies, star clusters, and other objects across a wide swath of the electromagnetic spectrum, from ultraviolet to near-infrared light. A new spectrograph slices across billions of light-years to map the filamentary structure of the universe and trace the distribution of elements that are fundamental to life. The telescope's new instruments also are more sensitive to light and can observe in ways that are significantly more efficient and require less observing time than previous generations of Hubble instruments. NASA astronauts installed the new instruments during the space shuttle servicing mission in May 2009. Besides adding the instruments, the astronauts also completed a dizzying list of other chores that included performing unprecedented repairs on two other science instruments.

Now that Hubble has reopened for business, it will tackle a whole range of observations. Looking closer to Earth, such observations will include taking a census of the population of Kuiper Belt objects residing at the fringe of our solar system, witnessing the birth of planets around other stars, and probing the composition and structure of the atmospheres of other worlds. Peering much farther away, astronomers have ambitious plans to use Hubble to make the deepest-ever portrait of the universe in near-infrared light. The resulting picture may reveal never-before-seen infant galaxies that existed when the universe was less than 500 million years old. Hubble also is now significantly more well-equipped to probe and further characterize the behavior of dark energy, a mysterious and little-understood repulsive force that is pushing the universe apart at an ever-faster rate."

http://www.hubblesite.org/newscenter...eases/2009/25/
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
But it's so much more fun to ambush other threads with stuff this far off-topic .
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
But it's so much more fun to ambush other threads with stuff this far off-topic .
I agree....

I was just curious if there are any other people around here who are amazed about space like me....
Old 09-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Man there is this guy on the vette forum who is actually a space shuttle pilot...that's cool as heck..I love space..I got interested when as a young child my parents got me a telescope
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
RobertHarriSS

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
Man there is this guy on the vette forum who is actually a space shuttle pilot...that's cool as heck..I love space..I got interested wehn as a young child my parents got me a telescope
Not as cool, but I work for NASA.
RobertHarriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertHarriSS View Post
Thats sweet... Im actually on usajobs looking at what NASA is hiring for everyday!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
ShnOmac

Quote:
Man there is this guy on the vette forum who is actually a space shuttle pilot...that's cool as heck..I love space..I got interested wehn as a young child my parents got me a telescope
If I was book smart that would be my goal! But im not so.... Hmmm i wonder if the shuttle needs a janitor?
Old 09-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
Tanner

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Did you see the latest pictures from the space telescope. Freaking amazing. Beautiful pictures of stars being born, pictures of other galaxies, amazing pictures.

Sands - Surprise
Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
1320junkie

Quote:
that's awesome what do you do there?
Old 09-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
MrIcky

Quote:
Man there is this guy on the vette forum who is actually a space shuttle pilot...that's cool as heck..I love space..I got interested when as a young child my parents got me a telescope
Quote:
On my way to work a couple of weeks ago I was listening to the Bob and Tom show and they had as guests a frequent flyer on the Shuttle who does a lot of the training for the EVAs and Peyton Manning. They were talking to Peyton about pre-season and the regimen they go through. Then they spoke to the astronaut about getting ready for the last shuttle launch. It wasn't meant to play off each other but even Peyton basically said "ya I got nothin'" after listening in awe to the astronaut. You just simply can not top an astronaut for wow factor. And working at NASA would be amazing at just about any level just for the richness of history and future goals of an institution. Most places your lucky if the business goal is to 'increase profits by x'- actually being able to have some amazing answer would be worth a lot.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #11
diddiyo

Drives: .
Quote:
I love space

?
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #12
1320junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
On my way to work a couple of weeks ago I was listening to the Bob and Tom show and they had as guests a frequent flyer on the Shuttle who does a lot of the training for the EVAs and Peyton Manning. They were talking to Peyton about pre-season and the regimen they go through. Then they spoke to the astronaut about getting ready for the last shuttle launch. It wasn't meant to play off each other but even Peyton basically said "ya I got nothin'" after listening in awe to the astronaut. You just simply can not top an astronaut for wow factor. And working at NASA would be amazing at just about any level just for the richness of history and future goals of an institution. Most places your lucky if the business goal is to 'increase profits by x'- actually being able to have some amazing answer would be worth a lot.
I mean its crazy when he posts...the guy said he has to go away for work for a while..we ask him where he is going..and the dude says "space" how do you top that?
Old 09-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #13
ShnOmac

Quote:
I mean its crazy when he posts...the guy said he has to go away for work for a while..we ask him where he is going..and the dude says "space" how do you top that?
In my eyes, you dont
Old 09-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #14
MrIcky

Exactly, you don't- you can't. Only thing even in the ballpark would be something along the lines of a HALO jumper or a SEAL.