Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

4th Generation Camaros 1993-2002

Old 05-20-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
Dwayne
Dwayne

Drives: 1995 Camaro rs
Send a message via MSN to Dwayne
Help

Ok. I'm looking to buy a 4th generation camaro and this is my first car. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out and tell me what kind of things to look for when I'm buying this car. I know this is kind of a weak question but I was hoping I could get some help because I'm pretty new to buying cars and I just want to make sure I get the best deal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Dwayne.

Anyone with MSN add me: dwayne_larson_18@hotmail.com
Dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Always be prepared to walk away... in fact always walk away.
You can always come back later and you will probably get to their best price if you plan on walking away no matter how good the deal sounds.

Do your homework... go to kelly bluebook and enter all the info on the car you are looking at. Look at the "fair" trade in value. It doesn't matter what the condition is, a dealership will usually only pay only the fair trade in value. If you know this... you know what they would get if they traded it in at a dealership. If you have to have a starting price use this. Also check out the private party price and the retail price you would pay at the dealership. I would never go over these prices unless they did some serious aftermarket stuff that you are convinced warrants more money.

Never be the first person to mention a number for the price of the car. Sometimes never mentioning a number is the best option. Just tell them you think that's too much. Ask them if that's their best price. Tell them it's still too much... are they SURE that's their best price. You usually have to do this a few times to get to the real number. Tell them you'll have to think about it and leave. If it really was a good deal come back after eating lunch or something.

As for what to look for...

Check for a current inspection sticker. At least you'll know it passed the last time it was due.

Check all of the body gaps around the fenders doors and hood and make sure they all line up right.

Look for evidence of it being repainted. Open the doors and hood and look for evidence there too.

Look for evidence of the t-tops leaking.

If it's a manual, put it in a higher gear and let the clutch out. If the clutch is going to slip, this is when you will notice it the best.

Check out the tail pipes... run you finger inside them (not if they are already hot!) how clean do they look? this is a good indication of how well the car has been running.

How do the tires look? Stick a Quarter in the treads. If the treads don't at least touch Washingtons head it may not pass inspection.

Stand by a tire and push down on the fender to test the shocks. Does it come right back up and stay there or does it bounce once or twice? It shouldn't bounce.

Start the car and listen to how it sounds. Rev it up a little and look for smoke coming out the tailpipes. How does it drive?

I hope these tips help... maybe someone else has a few more tips.
Good luck in finding your first car!
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:24 AM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
#1. GET SOMEONE WHO'S PURCHASED A FEW CARS BEFORE TO GO WITH YOU!

#2. Run it on carfax to see if it's ever been reported in an accident or stolen.

#3. Have your local GM dealers service guy run the vin through their records. Any records of repairs will be documented through their computers. If something got fixed somewhere else, it won't be there, but hey....it's going to help.

#4. Take the car to an honest mechanic...someone who can look over the car and tell you if it's been in an accident or not.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
Dwayne
Dwayne

Thanks a lot, these tips are really gonna help me out.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I'd honestly not buy a V-8 for a first car. especially a 4th gen. lot of power to be putting into your hands with out what seems like little experience. I could be wrong. don't know your background but just a concern.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Dwayne
Dwayne

Don't worry. I couldn't afford a V-8 nor would I want to get one. I know I am too inexperienced to have one at the time being. However I am planning to upgrade it as time goes on. I wouldn't want anyone as young as me or as inexperienced as me driving a V-8 either.

Last edited by Dwayne; 05-21-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:44 PM   #7
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Did I say stick a Quarter in the tread? ... I meant a penny... it should go deeper than the edge of lincoln's head.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote