Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 09-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
For Those Who Have Installed Magnuson

I have been debating...reading, re-reading and racking my brain. I am taking my Camaro to Lingenfelter in April and have been shaking my head on a few things and hope those who have installed or had installed a Magnuson could give me/us some insight and direction.

Lingenfelter states the supercharger will provide 570hp without any mods correct?

Now this is where I am in a quandry. I plan on longtubes, possibly from American racing and replacing the remainder of the exhaust. Also going with CAI, Hotchkis swaybars and talking to Pedders on a direction with the suspension (lowering/shocks) Then we have probably 30 different exhaust tones...Don't want anything too loud, too high pitched...you know, moderately respectable with a throaty 60's sound. I don't want that "assh*Oe" loudness with that much HP.

What direction have you guys gone with the mods? What response, road handling characteristics? Has the steering and roll been addressed and corrected?

On a final note, you read longtubes increase HP by 40, torque 40 remainder of exhaust by maybe 10-15 and a CAI maybe 10. Now if you take into account a base install without mods yields 570 HP, one would assume that adding CAI, LT and catback would yield another minimum 60 HP.

Just getting a feel for what you guys went with and your commentary and satisfaction overall.

Thanks!
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #138
"On a final note, you read longtubes increase HP by 40, torque 40 remainder of exhaust by maybe 10-15 and a CAI maybe 10. Now if you take into account a base install without mods yields 570 HP, one would assume that adding CAI, LT and catback would yield another minimum 60 HP. "

Not true at all.Headers make you lose horsepower(when used with same pulley).Intake will help more than 10(more like 20-30).

Ask the guys at LPE and they will agree with me.

Andy
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Hey another LPE man! Congrats! I take it you are talking the 570 hp package, they do do a fuel pump booster and new injectors as well. I am currntly up there geting the 650 package and asked about headers, they told me that you need a little backpressure and the stock system actually flows very well. They figure the gain with headers is not worth the cost, only reason to do a catback was for sound. Sounds strange to me but they have probably spent more time with the ls3 on a dyno than most so I figure I will take their word for it.
Take a look at this thread to see what other LPE freaks are doing to their cars:http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40101
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
Mod4SS
Resident Expert

Drives: Supercharged 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
Not true at all.Headers make you lose horsepower(when used with same pulley).Intake will help more than 10(more like 20-30).
Out of curiosity and assuming you're correct, why are most people adding the ARH longtubes with the S/C kit? What size pulley do you recommend to compliment the ARH longtubes to increase HP?

Last edited by Mod4SS; 09-12-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Mod4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
Mimo

Drives: '10 2SSRS 09 Silverado - 10 GLK 350
I have installed the HPE CAI and the ARH Long Tubes - i feel a huge difference - I don't understand the comment of a loss of horsepower??? I am currently installing the Magnuson super charger.
Mimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I just had a TVS-2300 installed with a LMR CAI on my L99.....

It had Kooks Headers,Corsa Catback Exhaust already.....

It feels like it is flowing to much to me.....

I thought it would have made more power....

Maggie 120 hp
Kooks headers 30 hp
Corsa exhaust 15 hp
CAI 15 hp
= 180 hp
stock 320 rwhp
500 hp right....It made 480 rwhp on 8lbs of boost
JJ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
On my 04 cobra, when I freed up the exhaust a little, my boost (PSI) went down but I gained power (vs before the catback and highflow catted xpipe). That being said, I gained power when opening the exhaust up even though my PSI was down. When I added a K&N intake and larger single blade throttlebody, I gained 1 PSI of boost (and made more power as well).

That being said, I think with the TVS you will gain power accross the board with any of the other mods, but it isn't as easy as adding them up.

Talk with LPE .. they will give you good direction.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
rharon

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2SS/RS
I agree with CROWLEY
Old 09-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #9
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by rharon View Post
I agree with CROWLEY
He speaks the truth. LPE can point you right.
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #10
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
i think a 3.6 with headers sounds about right.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:54 AM   #11
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm
i have the tvs 2300 with a 3" magnaflow comp series exhaust. i have the dynatech super maxx headers and cats on there way and a rotofab cai, once i get those instaled i will retune for max power. i also have the hotchkis swaybars and springs as well. i will be adding rotora's big brake kit soon as well. this thing rocks, cant wait to get ur done.
urr2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #12
Mod4SS
Resident Expert

Drives: Supercharged 2010 Camaro SS
Rharon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharon View Post
I agree with CROWLEY
How much RWHP are you getting with your current mods?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
vsgls1

Drives: 07 GMC Sierra
Send a message via AIM to vsgls1
Agree with ADM & Crowley also. The numbers on these advertised kits are flywheel numbers, you need to account for drivetrain loss, etc.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
I have been debating...reading, re-reading and racking my brain. I am taking my Camaro to Lingenfelter in April and have been shaking my head on a few things and hope those who have installed or had installed a Magnuson could give me/us some insight and direction.

Lingenfelter states the supercharger will provide 570hp without any mods correct?

Now this is where I am in a quandry. I plan on longtubes, possibly from American racing and replacing the remainder of the exhaust. Also going with CAI, Hotchkis swaybars and talking to Pedders on a direction with the suspension (lowering/shocks) Then we have probably 30 different exhaust tones...Don't want anything too loud, too high pitched...you know, moderately respectable with a throaty 60's sound. I don't want that "assh*Oe" loudness with that much HP.

What direction have you guys gone with the mods? What response, road handling characteristics? Has the steering and roll been addressed and corrected?

On a final note, you read longtubes increase HP by 40, torque 40 remainder of exhaust by maybe 10-15 and a CAI maybe 10. Now if you take into account a base install without mods yields 570 HP, one would assume that adding CAI, LT and catback would yield another minimum 60 HP.

Just getting a feel for what you guys went with and your commentary and satisfaction overall.

Thanks!
They include their CAI in the 570 package - it is actually the RotoFab CAI with a modified tube for the maggie. I didn't go with a headers but I did do the Borla cat-back exhaust and it sounds perfect. It has a very deep rumble which is not loud and annoying.

With the headers and a smaller pulley I think you may get more of a gain, as it looks like some other peoples builds on this forum have turned out good. I think once you get over 600hp to the flywheel, LPE doesn't feel comfortable putting their warranty on it, unless the internals are forged like in the 650 package.

My 570 package from LPE dynoed at 518hp & 503tq. They did an excellent job and I am very happy with it.
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #15
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
What are your goals? Do you want big boost or big power? They're not the same. If you're after big boost, leave the exhaust alone. A free flowing exhaust with effecient LT headers would get in the way of big boost. Not sure why anyone would want that, but everyone's tractor is cranked a little differently. To each his own.

If, however, you're after big power and don't really care what the boost guage says, LT's and free flowing exhaust are essential. Boost does not = power. It's simply a measure of restriction of air through the motor. Plain and simple.

LT headers won't help a bit if you have a restrictive exhaust system behind them. I would imagine that's why some of the high dollar installers say that LT's don't help. They won't or can't mess with the stock exhaust system behind the headers. Probably voids a warranty.

I'd bet that adding long tubes and exhaust upgrades will make more power on a blown LS3/L99's 100% of the time if done correctly. The boost WILL go down. That's good! Means your engine if more effecient than before. Less restriction. It allows timing increases if you don't pulley down to get the boost back up to where it was. Either way.....more timing or more boost will make more power. If anyone argues that point, they might not understand how these things work.

As an example, my TVS2300 blown LS3 vette is north of 650rwhp on a measley 8.5psi. It has a 2.9" pulley on the blower, healthy blower cam, and a very free flowing exhaust. If you put that same pulley on a stock LS3, because of increased restriction in the motor, boost would be well over 12 psi, timing would have to be pulled, and power would be way down.

It just comes down to where you want to be power wise. You can leave the exhaust alone and make way more than you had pre TVS. If you want more, it's easier on the engine if you do the things it takes to make it breathe better.

Last edited by old motorhead; 09-13-2009 at 11:46 AM.
old motorhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #16
rharon

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2SS/RS
I haven't dyno'd it yet. I am going with a smaller pulley and then I am going to have it tuned.....pretty much done after that.....
Old 09-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #17
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed74SS View Post
They include their CAI in the 570 package - it is actually the RotoFab CAI with a modified tube for the maggie. I didn't go with a headers but I did do the Borla cat-back exhaust and it sounds perfect. It has a very deep rumble which is not loud and annoying.
Which part number did you purchase from Borla? Want to take a listen to the tone if I can find one with the Magnuson installed.

Motorhead..My goals? Well, I do not plan on tearing up the track but I want a Camaro that handles awesome, sounds great and has respectable power.

Maybe track once in awhile. I have a close friend who works for Roush and my GF is an exec. asst. there. I have free access to their track when open. I would like to really enjoy it when I need it, whenever and wherever.

I planned on listening to what Lingenfelter recommends, but we ALWAYS know the $11k initial pricetag always increases with the little stuff..

How much did you guys go over the $11k pricetag and what did you get (engine components aside)
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #18
old motorhead

Quote:
Which part number did you purchase from Borla? Want to take a listen to the tone if I can find one with the Magnuson installed.

Motorhead..My goals? Well, I do not plan on tearing up the track but I want a Camaro that handles awesome, sounds great and has respectable power.

Maybe track once in awhile. I have a close friend who works for Roush and my GF is an exec. asst. there. I have free access to their track when open. I would like to really enjoy it when I need it, whenever and wherever.

I planned on listening to what Lingenfelter recommends, but we ALWAYS know the $11k initial pricetag always increases with the little stuff..

How much did you guys go over the $11k pricetag and what did you get (engine components aside)
Just beware that mufflers that sound semi civilized behind a stock motor will be noticably louder with higher hp and less restrictions up stream. It never shuts up. Can get old quick.

For $11K, you sure better get more than just a blower, install, and tune. The kit from Magnuson should come with everything you need for under $7K. Installing a TVS kit from Magnuson isn't rocket science. The parts and install on my vette was $11k, but that included a new hood and paint , new blower cam, new crank pulley, boost guage, wide band AFR guage, and vacuum guage. If you think you need to spend the extra jack with LPE to feel comfortable, by all means, do it. If you know a good shop in your area, it's totally unnecessary.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #19
Speed74SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Just beware that mufflers that sound semi civilized behind a stock motor will be noticably louder with higher hp and less restrictions up stream. It never shuts up. Can get old quick.

For $11K, you sure better get more than just a blower, install, and tune. The kit from Magnuson should come with everything you need for under $7K. Installing a TVS kit from Magnuson isn't rocket science. The parts and install on my vette was $11k, but that included a new hood and paint , new blower cam, new crank pulley, boost guage, wide band AFR guage, and vacuum guage. If you think you need to spend the extra jack with LPE to feel comfortable, by all means, do it. If you know a good shop in your area, it's totally unnecessary.
The Borla S Type cat back on my car sound awesome. Definately know it is not stock but not annoyingly loud. Let me find my video from in the car on acceleration. I will post it up later.

Here is what LPE gives with the 570 package.

Package includes:
- TVS2300 intercooled supercharger system
- Black powder coated finish
- Based on OEM Eaton supercharger unit
- Properly sized fuel injectors
- Fuel system upgrades
- 160 Degree thermostat
- Boost bypass controller
- Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump fuel pump voltage booster
- Lingenfelter High Flow Air Intake
- Professional installation, testing and calibration
- Chassis dyno report before & after installation
- Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely affected
- Lingenfelter 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty
- Lingenfelter fender badges
- Lingenfelter certificate of authenticity

The warranty covers the engine as well. They have a base kit that is just the supercharger & install. The warranty for me was a big thing - just in case something did go wrong with the motor.

Your corvette sounds like it is a beast
Old 09-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #20
Speed74SS

Here is the accelration video that I have. There are a few videos from others that have it on their stock cars and it doesn't sound much different, if at all. I watched a lot of videos with the Borla S type on Corvettes before I decided on it.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #21
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
I LOVE MY MAGGIE!!!!

oops...sorry...I can't help myself.

The stock exhaust on the GTO is high flow already...my car is totally stock except for the Magnuson blower...IT SCREAMS
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #22
old motorhead

Wm....haven't you been dead for a decade or two. Nice looking ride though!
Old 09-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #23
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Wm....haven't you been dead for a decade or two. Nice looking ride though!
Not according to my MOM!! LOL!!

Thanks!
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #24
slapshot13

Drives: black
I just picked up my loperspeed camaro from arizona. It has Magnuson 2300 supercharger with B&B longtubes and full 3"stainless exhaust with computer being reprogrammed and tuned.. Eibach lowing kit and dyno showed 582 rear wheel H.P. and 770 HP to the flywheel. Check out my pics on slapshot13 s garage this is one mean fast car. They siad never to tune this motor to exceed 600 rwhp and that is right from the vp of general motors
slapshot13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #25
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010 2SS RS RJT MN6
Quote:

I have the 570 kit from LPE.

My extra's were ported and polished intake and Throttle body, and port matched blower manifold.
I added the Borla "S" exhaust (same as Speed74SS) and LPE installed the MTI shifter.

The 570 kit is complete. CAI, tune, crank pinning, pulleys, belts are included. You really don't need to add anything else engine wise.. LPE takes there time on the tunes so it comes out perfect!

If you are a standard trans, you will want to opt for a HP clutch. The stock one won't last...

People are adding suspension, shifters, cat back exhaust, wheels/tires.

The 570 kit on my car makes 526 RWHP (630 flywheel).

Worth every penny I spent...
LPE ZR-1 twin disc Clutch, LPE rear w/3.73 gears
NHRA cert. 8.50 CM 10 point roll cage, Cobra racing Seats
Gforce 5 PT. Harnesses, MOMO steering wheel and pedals
285/35/19 Bridgestone RE-11 Tires, CCW 19X10 SP16A Wheels
315/30/18 Front, 335/30/18 Rear Hoosier tires, CCW C2K Wheels
Racing Brake Rotors, stainless lines, MT800 Brake pads
HD Rear Axles, Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Lower Control Arms
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote