Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
hollywoodjose

Drives: 2010 Black 1LT
Quick question about washing/waxing

Hey everyone. I want to start off with i have read the guide up at the top of the tread, but i still am unsure if what i have done is damaging to my car.

I have had my car since may 13, and have only put 3500 miles on it. I have taken it to a professional to have it washed and put a selant on it, about 3 weeks after i bought it. I have taken it to the same place a fwe more times to get an express wash/wax. They use a spray on wax and MF towels. I have washed it several times myself in between trips out of town at one of those that has the hi pressure hoses and you can select wash, soap, etc...

My question is, is it bad to use these types of places to wash your car? i dont like doing it at my house because I dont have a paved area to park it and not any shade to wash/wax in.
I use the spray on soap and use my sponge to scrub it then i rinse and dry.
To dry i use the california blade and MF towels. I havent had any water spots but i have noticed some light swirls.
Anyways any input would be appreciated
hollywoodjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
The only issue I've run into with the do-it-yourself pressure wash places is that whatever soap they use seems to completely strip any wax off of the vehicle. Almost the equivalent of using Dawn dish soap on your car.

#1: 2010 1LT/RS Victory Red M6 - July 2009-Oct 2011 (SOLD). #2: 2011 2SS/RS Synergy Green A6 - Oct 2011.....
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
hollywoodjose

Drives: 2010 Black 1LT
i dunno i'm just real irritated i've tried to take care of it but there are swirls everywhere. I use these MF towels from autozone and i know in the instruction thead it says not to but how do you dry it? the absorber doesnt get everything. I have black and where i live is very dusty and i dont have anyplace that i can wash it cept in town and so waxing is basically something i dont do. I wish there was a pro in town that i could get to do the swirl remover and all that because the one i've been taking it too doesnt do that stuff. You cant see anything wrong til yer real close like within a few inches but its still frusterating ya know? i've thought bout saving to get it painted a different color but i dont know if theres anyone within 2 hours any direction that is worth taking it to. Any suggestions on what i can do? Or if repainting is my best option?
hollywoodjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
glambert1
HOMER

Drives: 2010 camaro 2LT RS SIM
your gunna have swirls no matter what you do youll have to just get a good swirl remover like meguires and a polishing pad and polish them away and start scratching it again
Old 09-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
Susantroy1
To All Veterans

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by glambert1 View Post
your gunna have swirls no matter what you do
I think you can eliminate swirls if you begin to develop another mindset about washing your vehicle. Only wash with your mitts. Use 2 one with soap and another with rinse water. Don't SCRUB wash your vehicle but glide the mitt with no pressure when using the mitt with soap. Blot dry your car don't "wipe" dry. See the difference? I've lived on a gravel road before and you surely have a loooooong job ahead of you with black. well any color for that matter. I feel for you.:(
Susantroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
CAM MAN

Drives: ALL 5 GEN CAMAROS
Find a freind's house and hand wash it . Takes me 2 hours to clean mine.
Take your time GOOD LUCK!!
CAM MAN is offline   Reply With Quote