Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
H3LLJumper
 
H3LLJumper's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS VIN#11184
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Irvine, California
Posts: 580
Change an automatic to manual

A friend and I were discussing this. How would you change an automatic 2010 Camaro to a manual 2010 Camaro?
__________________
Lingenfelter 550 HP TVS2300 Supercharger Package, Hennessey CAI, Pedders Extreme XA Drag Package and Sway Bars (waiting to take delivery) Painted gills, stripe, and bow ties, tinted windows to 30%, smoked lights, Orange headlight/fog light halos, NOWEEDS, and GMPP Exhaust
H3LLJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,289
Why not sell your automatic and buy a manual. Or find someone with a manual that wants to trade cars with you. That would be the easiest and cheapest way to do it.
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Indpowr
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Corvette C6
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,028
Its about 6k to do in a Corvette
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
zebra
just can't seem to leave
 
zebra's Avatar
 
Drives: your mom wild!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cold & windy
Posts: 11,604
assuming you're talking about your SS, are you wanting a manual but still want to keep the AFM or something?
__________________
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
H3LLJumper
 
H3LLJumper's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS VIN#11184
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Irvine, California
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
assuming you're talking about your SS, are you wanting a manual but still want to keep the AFM or something?
That'd be cool, but no. I'm just wondering if it is possible and how it would be done/price.
__________________
Lingenfelter 550 HP TVS2300 Supercharger Package, Hennessey CAI, Pedders Extreme XA Drag Package and Sway Bars (waiting to take delivery) Painted gills, stripe, and bow ties, tinted windows to 30%, smoked lights, Orange headlight/fog light halos, NOWEEDS, and GMPP Exhaust
H3LLJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
patriotpa
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Posts: 1,967
I change mine all the time. It's called TAPSHIFT.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
zebra
just can't seem to leave
 
zebra's Avatar
 
Drives: your mom wild!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cold & windy
Posts: 11,604
not the same
__________________
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
JBsC6
 
Drives: 2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 188
Way too expensive..

Best way is to sell yours and buy what you want.

The conversions a headache and not worth the cost...

Enjoy what you have...or sell it ..then buy new..
__________________
2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP M6/2008 Silver CTS AWD FE2 304hp
JBsC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:08 AM   #9
H3LLJumper
 
H3LLJumper's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS VIN#11184
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Irvine, California
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsC6 View Post
Way too expensive..

Best way is to sell yours and buy what you want.

The conversions a headache and not worth the cost...

Enjoy what you have...or sell it ..then buy new..
Still doesn't answer my question ;P
__________________
Lingenfelter 550 HP TVS2300 Supercharger Package, Hennessey CAI, Pedders Extreme XA Drag Package and Sway Bars (waiting to take delivery) Painted gills, stripe, and bow ties, tinted windows to 30%, smoked lights, Orange headlight/fog light halos, NOWEEDS, and GMPP Exhaust
H3LLJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:55 AM   #10
sav1
 
sav1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LLJumper View Post
Still doesn't answer my question ;P
I think what people are trying to say without being mean is.. it's the most moronic thing you could do. Thats why no ones giving you an answer. It doesn't make sense. If you "weren't going to do it" why ask?
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:36 PM   #11
RMGee
Clap Clap
 
RMGee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav1 View Post
I think what people are trying to say without being mean is.. it's the most moronic thing you could do. Thats why no ones giving you an answer. It doesn't make sense. If you "weren't going to do it" why ask?

For shits and giggles?
RMGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
zebra
just can't seem to leave
 
zebra's Avatar
 
Drives: your mom wild!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cold & windy
Posts: 11,604
some things to consider are having to retune the computer (which dealers may try to void your warranty for), getting taller gears in the rear end to better accommodate the tr6060 gearing, reworking the engine wiring harness to plug into the manual transmission and the clutch safety switch, installing pedals, drilling through the firewall to install a master cylinder, getting a new console from a standard trans car, possibly a different driveshaft (i don't know if they're the same length or mate to the same output shaft or not), a new steering wheel (unless you want useless TAPSHIFT buttons), a new gauge cluster, possibly a new starter (if the flywheel & flexplate are different sizes), a new transmission crossmember, and i'm probably leaving some stuff out that i can't think of off the top of my head
__________________
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #13
Speedfreak
 
Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 681
I did this in a 2nd Gen F-body, had a donor car for the parts. HUGE pain in the ass new ride with all the computer shit now, you would have to be borderline insane to attempt this................
__________________
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #14
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M
 
OUR72GTO's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kamloops,British Columbia
Posts: 4,623
Cheaper to get a sex change.
__________________
CAMARO.. 2010 The Heart Beat is back in CHEVROLET
Now let's put it back in America
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #15
sav1
 
sav1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
Cheaper to get a sex change.

HAHAHAH.
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:33 PM   #16
H3LLJumper
 
H3LLJumper's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS VIN#11184
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Irvine, California
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
some things to consider are having to retune the computer (which dealers may try to void your warranty for), getting taller gears in the rear end to better accommodate the tr6060 gearing, reworking the engine wiring harness to plug into the manual transmission and the clutch safety switch, installing pedals, drilling through the firewall to install a master cylinder, getting a new console from a standard trans car, possibly a different driveshaft (i don't know if they're the same length or mate to the same output shaft or not), a new steering wheel (unless you want useless TAPSHIFT buttons), a new gauge cluster, possibly a new starter (if the flywheel & flexplate are different sizes), a new transmission crossmember, and i'm probably leaving some stuff out that i can't think of off the top of my head
It's a lingenfelter, so I don't care about the dealer voiding my warranty because they already did . I'm just curious for if I wanted to some time down the road. Either way, it'd probably still be cheaper and less of a pain to trade in and get a new one. Yeah?
__________________
Lingenfelter 550 HP TVS2300 Supercharger Package, Hennessey CAI, Pedders Extreme XA Drag Package and Sway Bars (waiting to take delivery) Painted gills, stripe, and bow ties, tinted windows to 30%, smoked lights, Orange headlight/fog light halos, NOWEEDS, and GMPP Exhaust
H3LLJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:28 PM   #17
Frans96ss
Race Proven Motorsports

 
Drives: 96SS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Castle Delaware
Posts: 816
It can be done. We do it in corvettes all the time. Not sure on cost though. Will depend on the set up you are looking for.
__________________
Frans96ss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #18
H3LLJumper
 
H3LLJumper's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS VIN#11184
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Irvine, California
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans96ss View Post
It can be done. We do it in corvettes all the time. Not sure on cost though. Will depend on the set up you are looking for.

What kind of setups are there?
__________________
Lingenfelter 550 HP TVS2300 Supercharger Package, Hennessey CAI, Pedders Extreme XA Drag Package and Sway Bars (waiting to take delivery) Painted gills, stripe, and bow ties, tinted windows to 30%, smoked lights, Orange headlight/fog light halos, NOWEEDS, and GMPP Exhaust
H3LLJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #19
Frans96ss
Race Proven Motorsports

 
Drives: 96SS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Castle Delaware
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LLJumper View Post
What kind of setups are there?
You could just do a built 6l60. Your could also do a 6l80 or a 4l80 ect. What are you planning on using the car for most?
__________________
Frans96ss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #20
zebra
just can't seem to leave
 
zebra's Avatar
 
Drives: your mom wild!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cold & windy
Posts: 11,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans96ss View Post
You could just do a built 6l60. Your could also do a 6l80 or a 4l80 ect. What are you planning on using the car for most?
but those are automatics. he's wanting to swap his auto to a manual
__________________
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #21
rodimus prime
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Cargo van.
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Metal Metal Land
Posts: 1,248
Man whats so hard about answering his question.

You would need the transmission/clutch obviously, and a new pedal bracket for the clutch pedal, hydraulics and reflash your cpu to a manual trans tune.

I converted a 3rd gen to a 5 speed and a 4th gen 6 speed to a th350. Its not really that hard if your putting in a trans that was made for the motor in the first place. You could probably do it for little cost if you sold your auto trans first.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #22
zebra
just can't seem to leave
 
zebra's Avatar
 
Drives: your mom wild!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cold & windy
Posts: 11,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
Man whats so hard about answering his question.

You would need the transmission/clutch obviously, and a new pedal bracket for the clutch pedal, hydraulics and reflash your cpu to a manual trans tune.

I converted a 3rd gen to a 5 speed and a 4th gen 6 speed to a th350. Its not really that hard if your putting in a trans that was made for the motor in the first place. You could probably do it for little cost if you sold your auto trans first.
what you ain't accounting for in these cars is the amount of electrical gizmos that tie into each part specifically. yes, you could splice into the automatic harness for the VSS & reverse lights, but you'll have to disable the neutral safety switch. the gauge cluster has specific readouts for the automatic & manual transmissions that would have to be programmed into the body control module. you'd have to wire in your own clutch safety switch.

yes, it can physically be done & running with less effort than we're making it out to be, but you'll be losing a bit of the cars functionality. even the different driving modes are specifically set up for each transmission.
__________________
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #23
Frans96ss
Race Proven Motorsports

 
Drives: 96SS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Castle Delaware
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
but those are automatics. he's wanting to swap his auto to a manual


Oh wow im sorry. I completly misread it. We can do a tr6060 and that would handle a TON Of power.
__________________
Frans96ss is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
65 Camaro's to choose from. tony_c Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 25 08-29-2009 04:25 PM
Complaints from the media 2sharp 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 111 03-18-2009 10:17 PM
Practical Differences Between Manual and Automatic? DkknightX General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 13 03-14-2009 05:51 PM
What are you getting, manual or automatic? diddiyo 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 102 08-07-2008 04:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.