Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > Exterior Parts & Accessories

Exterior Parts & Accessories All exterior parts and accessories.

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:58 PM   #151
Pumpkin1LT

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I have the complete smoke tint and I LOVE IT! And I was equally impressed at how quickly y'all got my backup tints to me (they were missing in my package)..at no charge..no questions asked! GREAT SERVICE, GREAT PRODUCT! THUMBS UP Headlight Armor!

~Steph

A happy wife is one in the garage getting dirty under her 2010 Camaro!
Pumpkin1LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #152
HeadlightArmor

Drives: Company Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZIXX View Post
Just placed an order for a complete smoke kit, thanks .
Thanks! was able to get your order out today with the rest of the weekend orders. You should have them in 2-3 days
Old 05-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #153
HeadlightArmor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin1LT View Post
I have the complete smoke tint and I LOVE IT! And I was equally impressed at how quickly y'all got my backup tints to me (they were missing in my package)..at no charge..no questions asked! GREAT SERVICE, GREAT PRODUCT! THUMBS UP Headlight Armor!

~Steph
Glad you like them and thanks for the compliments! All the best with the new Camaro!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #154
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Just finished putting the 30% smoke on my headlights, finishing the car off and I figured I would share some pics
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #155
HeadlightArmor

Looks great! Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #156
HeadlightArmor

We will be performing scheduled maintenance on our ecommerce platform this evening, May 18th. The outage will begin at 11:00pm EDT and may last up to 6 hours. There will be intermittent outages during the maintenance period. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #157
HeadlightArmor

Post More Camaro Side Reflector Photos Added

Added some additional customer photos to the Camaro Smoked Side Reflector page

Stealth Smoke Rear Reflector

Stealth Smoke Rear Reflector - Reflecting During the Day

Old 05-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #158
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Headlight Armor - I have your smoked kit on my side reflectors and the surface of one got scuffed. It looks like the scuff mark should buff out easily with the right product but I am unsure what to use, can you please advise?

Also - has anyone consolidated a list of tips and techniques for applying your product to the 2010 Camaro? Each piece seems to have its own tricks like the reverse light for instance, which you need to slide under the bumper to get proper coverage. I am not getting the vinyl to slide easily with just water - it wants to adhere to the light and stick.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #159
HeadlightArmor

For cleaning of the material we use and recommend a high quality plastic / vinyl conditioner like Plexus or 303 Protectant. Meguiar’s makes a good one too. Plexus is available at most motorcycle shops as it is great on windscreens and fairings. 303 is available at car parts shops, marine outfitters, and even some hardware stores.

As for install tips, we do include comprehensive instructions and have a variety of tutorials on the site. The Camaro reverse lights and front signals do tuck under the bodywork which is atypical and does make the install harder than it otherwise might be. Both are small and would typically be done dry, but given the slight tuck, a mist of water will help getting them where they need to be. Clean wet hands and a gentle touch, align and smooth out.

The side markers are flat and usually done dry. Similar to this smoked TBL tutorial

The taillight kit is designed to be installed with the lights on the car and the trim rings installed. The process is similar to the C6 Corvette Smoked Taillight kit tutorial on the site here

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any further questions.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #160
ChadG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlightArmor View Post
For cleaning of the material we use and recommend a high quality plastic / vinyl conditioner like Plexus or 303 Protectant. Meguiar’s makes a good one too. Plexus is available at most motorcycle shops as it is great on windscreens and fairings. 303 is available at car parts shops, marine outfitters, and even some hardware stores.

As for install tips, we do include comprehensive instructions and have a variety of tutorials on the site. The Camaro reverse lights and front signals do tuck under the bodywork which is atypical and does make the install harder than it otherwise might be. Both are small and would typically be done dry, but given the slight tuck, a mist of water will help getting them where they need to be. Clean wet hands and a gentle touch, align and smooth out.

The side markers are flat and usually done dry. Similar to this smoked TBL tutorial

The taillight kit is designed to be installed with the lights on the car and the trim rings installed. The process is similar to the C6 Corvette Smoked Taillight kit tutorial on the site here

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any further questions.
I picked up some Plexus at the local Harley shop, thank you for the tip. I am doing the install for the entire car in sections as my two-year old son allows me to have the time.

I did my side markers a few weeks ago and I did them wet. It took a couple of weeks but now all of the bubbles have dissipated and they look great.

I did the front signal markers and headlights today and have some general comments.

1. The signal markers were a little tedious to get under the grill and floated correctly but overall were fairly easy to install and look fantastic.

2. The headlight pieces were considerably more involved. The pieces were about 1/2" too short in the vertical direction. I heated the material using a hair dryer and stretched it considerably but in the end I still have about 1/4" of the upper part of the headlight not covered. This is not a big deal because you have to literally stoop in front of the car and look upward into the grill to see this.

3. With the headlights off they look AMAZING. There are no noticeable bubbles with the lights off. With the headlights on; however, there is considerable hazing in the light which I assume will go away over time as the adhesive sets and cures and the vinyl shrinks.

Here are some pictures on my install, you can see the hazing that I mentioned in the pictures with the headlights on. Please let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Last edited by ChadG; 05-26-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #161
HeadlightArmor

Chad, thanks for the feedback and the photos. The first two look great, we would like to add them to the site if you don't mind.

The original design for the front signals was the same size as the openings. Based on feedback here the size of the pieces was increased marginally. Making the install a little more work, but as you said, still a fairly easy install.

The headlights should not be particularly hard to apply the kit to - aside from parts of the lights covered by the bumper cover. From the head on shot they look great! The third one, looking up at an angle does show a sliver of the headlight, but you would need to be below the centerline of the headlight looking up to see it from what it looks. The fourth one is hard to tell as the top of the light looked fairly even with the reflection of the underside of the bumper cover. On the forth photo the lower inside corner (lower right part of the headlight in the photo) has a dark area where it looks like the film is marginally too low. Not sure if it is or if it just part of the optics of the corner of the lens. Either way, from the head on shot they do look great, so no real worries.

Below is a photo of the GT Yellow Headlight Protection kit from the site (chosen as it is the highest contrast and thus easiest to see the alignment). The photo was taken just below the centerline of the headlight, immediately following the installation.

As for the haziness; yes you can get hazy spots either right after or a few days later. This is usually more prevalent with the clear kits BTW as they are clear and a spot stands out more. The third does look like some left over moisture which will evaporate through the material over time. The forth looks like a similar situation, though likely looks worse due to the angle of the photo. Some might be air pockets, though as you said they look AMAZING and bubble free with the lights off, I would lean towards just left over moisture.

The moisture spots do clear up over time. How much time depends on how much water was left behind and the temperature & humidity during the curing process. The process can be a few days to a month or more.

For everybody else out there about to do your install, or thinking about installing one of our lighting protection kits in the future, if you leave a large bubble as you are squeegeeing (insufficient squeegee pressure, lack of sufficient water on the lens / material, and or overheating the materials are the greatest contributors to this) you can carefully lift, rewet, and re squeegee. Wrapping the squeegee with a suede microfiber towel also help as you can apply a lot more pressure and it will absorb the application water at the edges. The end product should be free of or nearly free of any sort of bubble.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #162
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro, 2012 370Z
I had some little bubbles and moisture trapped on my blackout tail lights but after about 2 weeks the bubbles were gone and the water evaporated.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #163
ChadG

Quote:
Chad, thanks for the feedback and the photos. The first two look great, we would like to add them to the site if you don't mind.
I asked the photographer (my wife ) if you could use the photos on your site and she said absolutely!

Quote:
The headlights should not be particularly hard to apply the kit to - aside from parts of the lights covered by the bumper cover. From the head on shot they look great! The third one, looking up at an angle does show a sliver of the headlight, but you would need to be below the centerline of the headlight looking up to see it from what it looks. The fourth one is hard to tell as the top of the light looked fairly even with the reflection of the underside of the bumper cover. On the forth photo the lower inside corner (lower right part of the headlight in the photo) has a dark area where it looks like the film is marginally too low. Not sure if it is or if it just part of the optics of the corner of the lens. Either way, from the head on shot they do look great, so no real worries.
There was no way to avoid about 1/2" of the headlight not being covered by the kit, even after heating and stretching several times. I chose to line the bottom of the headlight up as perfectly as possible and stretched the vinyl upward as much as I could to get as much coverage as possible.

Is this normal or were mine cut a little shorter than normal? If you make adjustments to the current design I would suggest adding a little more material to the headlight kit in the vertical dimension to ensure better overlap.

Quote:
The moisture spots do clear up over time. How much time depends on how much water was left behind and the temperature & humidity during the curing process. The process can be a few days to a month or more.
I am glad to hear that the haze will most likely go away over time, I am hoping that driving the with daytime running lights will accelerate the process a little.

HeadlightArmor thank you again for your excellent support to your customers. I am going to head outside soon to finish up the car with the tail lights and reverse lights.

Last edited by ChadG; 05-21-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:07 PM   #164
HeadlightArmor

Thanks, the second photo has been added to the site. Tried to get the first one - the head on shot - but couldn't get it to fit within our standardized layout.

The HeadlightArmor headlight protection kit for the Camaro should not need to be stretched at all. One person even made an install video and didn't use a squeegee - though using one would be easier.

With the Camaro headlight it is important to keep in mind that the bumper cover actually covers a fair amount of the headlight - both the top and bottom, and some of the outside as well. The Headlight also has a strong bevel at the very edges. The is most evident on the vertical edge nearest the 'signals'. This bevel is also there on the top and bottom edges as well, though most of this is covered by the bumper cover. The lighting protection kit for the Camaro is about as tall as the opening in the bumper cover; it isn't going to cover the area above or below the bumper cover opening.

The kit should be aligned at the bottom inside corner - even with the inside bevel and even with the lower bevel and the bumper cover. It is possible to install it either higher or lower and either a little in or out horizontally, but it was designed for the 'flat surface' of the headlight. Given the lights heavily recessed nature this does make the install more forgiving.

Your install looks great, we would have added the head on shot to the site if we could have made it fit with our standardized layout. Hope that helps.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #165
ChadG

Quote:
The HeadlightArmor headlight protection kit for the Camaro should not need to be stretched at all. One person even made an install video and didn't use a squeegee - though using one would be easier.

With the Camaro headlight it is important to keep in mind that the bumper cover actually covers a fair amount of the headlight - both the top and bottom, and some of the outside as well. The Headlight also has a strong bevel at the very edges. The is most evident on the vertical edge nearest the 'signals'. This bevel is also there on the top and bottom edges as well, though most of this is covered by the bumper cover. The lighting protection kit for the Camaro is about as tall as the opening in the bumper cover; it isn't going to cover the area above or below the bumper cover opening.

The kit should be aligned at the bottom inside corner - even with the inside bevel and even with the lower bevel and the bumper cover. It is possible to install it either higher or lower and either a little in or out horizontally, but it was designed for the 'flat surface' of the headlight. Given the lights heavily recessed nature this does make the install more forgiving.
Interesting, I watched the video and can see that my kit was not cut the same way. I can see how the one in the video is as tall as the opening in the bumper cover whereas mine was significantly shorter. In the video the installer had a V6 front facia which is the same as mine, and it appears the RS headlights have the exact same dimensions as non-RS headlights.

When installing I lined up the kit with the bottom inside corner and made it even with the bottom bumper cover and as you can see in my photos, I still ended up about 1/4" short from covering the full headlight even with significant stretching of the material. I would obviously prefer to have the entire lens covered.

A lot of the haze in my previous post has disappeared but there are some significantly sized bubbles that did not show previously (between the size of a dime to a nickel). Could these have been caused by the stretching of the material? What do you recommend?

Last edited by ChadG; 05-26-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #166
HeadlightArmor

All the kits are cut the same way, the production equipment is computer controlled. The clear versions are the same as the colored versions aside from the material used. The RS and non RS headlights are the same dimensions for our purposes.

I am not sure where you are coming up with the size differences as it is not evident in the photos. If you have air trapped it might be from trying to stretch them and or overheating the material in the process of trying to stretch them. You might have had water in the textured area filling it in causing it to look clearer earlier than it does now. If so, not sure how it will flatten out. The Camaro headlight protection kit is a straight forward install and should not require any stretching. Once prepped the application of the headlight protection kit should not take very long and should not take that much effort.

eMail sent.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #167
ChadG

I received your email, thank you! I'm going to take some more pictures to try to illustrate what I am talking about and send them to you via email.

HeadlightArmor's responsiveness and customer service has been exceptional - it is obvious that they care a great deal about their product. I corrected some of the dimensions in my previous post after going outside and using a ruler to measure them.

Last edited by ChadG; 05-26-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #168
ChadG

Here are some pictures of the rest of my install that include dark smoke side reflectors, light smoke tail lights, and dark smoke reverse lights.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #169
HeadlightArmor

^ those look great! Thanks for sharing!

If you are looking to get your lighting protections kits delivered before the holiday today is the last day to do so with standard Priority shipping. As we are centrally located most of the USA is a 2 day zone, though USPS does not guarantee this. Thus if you order today depending on your location and the speediness of USPS, you would likely receive your order Saturday. If you need to guarantee the delivery date you can always choose Express Mail as a delivery option.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #170
HeadlightArmor

– Best wishes to all for an enjoyable Memorial Day weekend!
Order received over the holiday weekend will ship out starting Tuesday.
All orders will be processed in the order in which they are received.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:05 PM   #171
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
looking for a complete stealth black kit- with ALL pieces for a rs/ss...i looked @ website but did not see complete kit... seperate kits...can you send me a pm for a total kit to do entire car..thanks
mikepage0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #172
Mrniceguy633

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Anyone have pictures of their car at night, on and another with them stepping on the brakes. I just wanna know how fast I'm gonna get pulled over for these lol

- Rico
Mrniceguy633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #173
HeadlightArmor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
looking for a complete stealth black kit- with ALL pieces for a rs/ss...i looked @ website but did not see complete kit... seperate kits...can you send me a pm for a total kit to do entire car..thanks
We don't have one item that is for everything.

We have the smoked taillights, side markers and reverse lights here
We have the headlight, front signals, and fogs here

We have free domestic shipping on orders over $75 and free domestic shipping and a free 2pk of suede microfiber towels on orders over $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrniceguy633 View Post
Anyone have pictures of their car at night, on and another with them stepping on the brakes. I just wanna know how fast I'm gonna get pulled over for these lol- Rico
We have a night smoked taillight kit testing page here

Running lights at 1000 feet, left side stock right side dark stealth smoke

Brake lights at 1000 feet, left side stock right side dark stealth smoke

Old 06-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #174
Mrniceguy633

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
You know what? I think someone posted that before and I had no idea what it was(wow I'm an idiot). Looks good tho, I'll be grabbing a kit for sure. Thank you

- Rico
Mrniceguy633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #175
HeadlightArmor

No worries, let us know if you have any other questions.