Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:05 AM   #26
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT - VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
It could not be more of a sports car. It races, and it beats other sports cars. What else would you call it? Muscle cars and pony cars are both categories of competitive sports cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010CamaroSS/RS View Post
I consider the Camaro a muscle car not a so called sports car. A sports car would be like a Corvette or a Viper. Camaro's are a muscle car and they will always be called that ever since they came out in '67. You can call it a modern day muscle car like the Mustang and the Challenger I also consider them modern day muscle with better fuel economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
I've always heard it called a sports car, but then I looked up for myself the definition of a sports car, muscle car, and pony car. I consider it a muscle car and a pony car, but I think most of the world considers those terms to be a sub-genre of the phrase "sports car..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

This is a sports car. Just like only a few others. Muscle is HP. That's WHY they were considered 'Muscle Cars' But like Blur said, it races and beats other sports cars.

It's a sports car. Personaly, I call it a muscle car to pay homage to the reason we have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinergy View Post
I consider it a hybrid of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kga10734 View Post
Technically it's a sport coupe. You will not find a automobile classification of a muscle car or pony car listed anywhere as far as I know on places like a manufactures website, Kelly Blue Book, your local tax office or places of that nature.

Muscle car and pony car are more or less nicknames given to these types of cars.

I could be wrong but this is my understanding of it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfaholic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
If a car's main purpose is to go "Vroom," I call it a sports car. No need to be picky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
The creator calls it the " 21st century SPORTS CAR. "

GM calls it a sports car so that is what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
It's a sporty muscle car. Or a muscular sports car. But just plain awesome either way, so who cares about a label? It's a CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I totally consider it to be a sports car through and through. Though I would also call it "neo-muscle".
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
I may have said all that but I just believe there are too many different categories cars can be in. I didnt mean to make my definition of a sports car so specific, but some people hardly consider it a sports car because they think its really a muscle car, a pony car or, insert new name here and only a corvette or a lambo is a sports car because it can pull 1g on the skidpad or whatever other reason.

Basically I believe all cars regardless of # of doors, size, etc. that are able to accelerate fast, are fun to drive, and well just flat out PERFORM can be considered a sports car and that includes the Camaro since its just plain badass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
It's a musclecar, plain and simple. This generation- of all those preceding it, most obviously has it's roots growing in plain sight. Even if you don't consider new cars to be "muscle" just have a look at a side-by-side with a first gen, and you'll see. Unmistakably a musclecar. Hell, I even consider my 4th gen a musclecar. Structure, heritage and attitude all make Camaro what it is, and those things haven't wavered a bit from 67 to 2002, and now in 2010 the muscle continues to flex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwss View Post
When I hear sports car, I think road racing. When I hear muscle car, I think drag racing. When I hear pony, just Mustang. When I hear "neo-muscle" maybe. The Camaro has always been "one of a kind" (in my book) and really needs a term of it's own. Any other ideas Like someone else said before, it's a CAMARO!!!!!!

Old 09-17-2009, 01:17 AM   #27
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
I totally consider it to be a sports car through and through. Though I would also call it "neo-muscle".
I totaly forgot abou tthe 'neo-muscle'
Old 09-17-2009, 01:22 AM   #28
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I totaly forgot abou tthe 'neo-muscle'
I didn't!! I really like the way it sounds. Hmpf...must have been all that Camarodrenalin in me today. Chevy should use that in a commercial...only 50,000 one-time royalty check to me, please...

See? I'm like shakespeare...Just makin' words up.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:23 AM   #29
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1970 Chevelle SS454, 2010 SSRS
My Camaro is as close as I will ever get to having a sports car. But its a performance/muscle car all the way to be sure and not a true sports car

Ferrari 288 GTO--------2425 lbs of real sports car. The worlds first sports car that spawned the term Supercar. Everything else is a bloated pig in comparison today......... 4200 lb Veyron included
Old 09-17-2009, 01:24 AM   #30
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
4200 lb Veyron included
Yeah, well...that's "256mph bloated pig" to you, buster!

Just like we've raised our performance standards through the years (what we consider "fast"). I think we need to up our weight tolerance...otherwise, like you said, everything's going to be considered a bloated pig. There's just too much stuff and saftey, etc in cars nowadays to expect yesteryear weight numbers...
Old 09-17-2009, 01:36 AM   #31
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1970 Chevelle SS454, 2010 SSRS
Quote:
Yeah, well...that's "256mph bloated pig" to you, buster!

Just like we've raised our performance standards through the years (what we consider "fast"). I think we need to up our weight tolerance...otherwise, like you said, everything's going to be considered a bloated pig. There's just too much stuff and saftey, etc in cars nowadays to expect yesteryear weight numbers...
Having just gotten back from Pebble Beach and seeing a plethora of those things and the auction results, the Veyron is definitely losing its luster. They are truly cavernous in size even on the interior. I'll take a McClaren F1 and not cry about the last 20mph

I am confounded by the weight deal as well. I realize there is safety to be considered. But a Euro spec Enzo weighs in at 2700 lbs and a US version 3010 lbs. Porsche GT2 3175 lbs. It can be done with safety in mind.........at a price of course.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:39 AM   #32
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
I am confounded by the weight deal as well. I realize there is safety to be considered. But a Euro spec Enzo weighs in at 2700 lbs and a US version 3010 lbs. Porsche GT2 3175 lbs. It can be done with safety in mind.........at a price of course.
Bingo....
Old 09-17-2009, 01:45 AM   #33
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
As long as the names Camaro, Mustang and Challenger (R.I.P. GTO) stick around and continue to be manufactured they will always be in a class of their own called “Muscle Cars.” Never liked the term "Pony Car" little girls want ponies. (Might explain why there are so many Mustangs out there "it's a pony car"... )

What’s great is that the 5th Gen Camaro has evolved over the years too in some cases out class and compete with most “sports cars” out there today…
Old 09-17-2009, 02:28 AM   #34
Rockytophummer

Drives: 2006 Hummer H2 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil02 View Post
i like to think of it as a ricer...jp id have to say sports car
Why do you consider it a ricer? What car are you calling a ricer? I call it good old American Muscle! Well maybe not old but American Muscle! I've never considered a Camaro a Ricer! Those have always been Toyota's Honda's and vehicles that sound like lawnmowers on steroids with huge spoilers and all types of racing stickers on them. Maybe I'm wrong if so could someone give me true definition of a Ricer?
Rockytophummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:54 AM   #35
BeermanSS

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
I'd call it a sports car or maybe a GT car. Vettes to me can be sports cars, supercars or exotics if your including the ZR1.
BeermanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:59 AM   #36
BeermanSS

to me muscle cars are really more about straight lining it. Solid rear axles, big blocks or at least big small blocks, bad brakes, bad steering, bad suspension, but bad fast in a straight line. I think too that the muscle cars were really the the bigger GTO's, Impalas, Chevelles, Gran Torino's, Chargers, etc. The Camaros, Mustangs, and Challys from back in the day were technically pony cars. Though you could argue that when they started throwing BB396's and larger motors into the pony cars they in turn became muscle cars.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:49 AM   #37
Rockytophummer

Drives: 2006 Hummer H2 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeermanSS View Post
to me muscle cars are really more about straight lining it. Solid rear axles, big blocks or at least big small blocks, bad brakes, bad steering, bad suspension, but bad fast in a straight line. I think too that the muscle cars were really the the bigger GTO's, Impalas, Chevelles, Gran Torino's, Chargers, etc. The Camaros, Mustangs, and Challys from back in the day were technically pony cars. Though you could argue that when they started throwing BB396's and larger motors into the pony cars they in turn became muscle cars.
To me muscle would have to do with power and motor size. Now I'm not trying to act like I'm mr. Mechanicly inclined but were I wondering about what your stating about muscle cars having big blocks but would the 426's the SS's not be big block's? I'm no motor conisour at all. But I was just under the impression that the 426 was a big block like the old 427's the Old Chevelles and my favorite car ever 67' 427 Stingray had!!!!! Damn what a sweet car I have to say! Is this not right? I'll be the 1st to admit that I may be wrong! Because I'm just assuming! I just figured the Vettes and Camaro SS's had big block engines in them! If I'm wrong please let me know because I want to know the right awnser!
Rockytophummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:54 AM   #38
HeatherMarie2LT
baby #10,978

Drives: 2010 2LT
best of both worlds!
Old 09-17-2009, 04:09 AM   #39
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
If a car with a lot of power and has two seats, like the Corvette, Viper, Lambo etc. it's a Sports Car. Purely for sport, not for family.

If it has 4 seats with a lot power, like the Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, Charger SRT8, it's a Muscle car. Mostly for sport, but can take the family.
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:58 AM   #40
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:

Come on man.... Get with the times, wouldn't that be " Metro-Muscle "

Old 09-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #41
BeermanSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockytophummer View Post
To me muscle would have to do with power and motor size. Now I'm not trying to act like I'm mr. Mechanicly inclined but were I wondering about what your stating about muscle cars having big blocks but would the 426's the SS's not be big block's? I'm no motor conisour at all. But I was just under the impression that the 426 was a big block like the old 427's the Old Chevelles and my favorite car ever 67' 427 Stingray had!!!!! Damn what a sweet car I have to say! Is this not right? I'll be the 1st to admit that I may be wrong! Because I'm just assuming! I just figured the Vettes and Camaro SS's had big block engines in them! If I'm wrong please let me know because I want to know the right awnser!
Well you have to remember that the 426 is hp not cu.in. The engine is a 6.2 litre or 378 cubic inch small block. All of the LS engines in production cars are small blocks. The 5.7 LS1, 6.0 LS2, 6.2 LS3, 6.2 L99 etc. are all small blocks. The big block cars were just that a bigger block. It wasn't really measured in cubic inches. Remember you can have a small block 427 or a big block 427. Its about block size. When measuring in litres or cu. inches you are actually measuring the amount of air the engine pumps through it for one complete cycle of all cylinders from TDC to BDC. Cubic inches or litres is a product of the bore, stroke, and number of cylinders. It actually has nothing to do with the outside dimensions of an engine.

Hope that helps clear some things up for ya.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #42
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 2014SilveradoCCZ71
Quote:
Originally Posted by kga10734 View Post
Technically it's a sport coupe. You will not find a automobile classification of a muscle car or pony car listed anywhere as far as I know on places like a manufactures website, Kelly Blue Book, your local tax office or places of that nature.

Muscle car and pony car are more or less nicknames given to these types of cars.

I could be wrong but this is my understanding of it all.
I was watching Motorweek and they had a spot with Mario Andretti and they were referring to the car as a sports coupe,but who cares really just a great
modern muscle car or whatever you want to call it,1BADASS car
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #43
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 2014SilveradoCCZ71
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherMarie2LT View Post
best of both worlds!
I think I have a fever
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #44
Angelina

Drives: 2010 Camaro!
I laughed when I read this. Because my 14 yr old son came home one day from school, a few days after I got my car...."Mom, is the Camaro a Sports car or a Muscle car?? My friends said it's a Muscle car I said it's a Sports car." LOL!

My opinion...SS=Super Sport
So I told him it's a Sports Car

Now on the other hand, If I had a V6 I'd have to say it was a wanna be Sports car

Drives: 2SS RS, IOM, Auto, Sunroof

Delivered: 5/15/09
Angelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #45
CDuff

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Come on man.... Get with the times, wouldn't that be " Metro-Muscle "

CDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #46
BeermanSS

really mess with them and call it a gt car.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #47
2032Ceta

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2009 Nissan Rogue
It's a muscle car, plain and simple.

Look up both terms...http://www.merriam-webster.com/

2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
2032Ceta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #48
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Sports cars:

Modern Muscle cars (pony cars), but NOT sports cars:

IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #49
2032Ceta

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2009 Nissan Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
Sports cars:

Modern Muscle cars (pony cars), but NOT sports cars:

Well said!!!

2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
2032Ceta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:30 AM   #50
Hav1980Z28

Drives: 1980 Camaro Z28
Sport car: A 2-seater two door with good handing on corners & braking. (4 to 12 cyl)

pony car: a 4-seat two door, good handing corners & braking, Long hood & short trunk (made to take the corners & brake better than the muscle car, small V8 or big block motor.)

a 4-seat two door not as good on handing corners, big engine and larger trunk a muscle car (Big V8 large small block, or big block motor, more quarter mile car)
Hav1980Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote