Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
'10 Tarus ST

Sounds pretty cool and I can't wait to see it. Ford is being smart and watching market trends early on and planning accordingly instead of reacting to them. Kudos to the blue oval!

Quote:
Leftlane Insider: Ford Taurus ST to arrive early next year

May28
may2008/taur.jpg

For the last few weeks, the internet has been abuzz with rumors about the possible return of a performance-oriented Ford Taurus for the 2010 model year, when the large sedan will receive a major redesign. So, is a hotter version of the 2010 Taurus really coming?

SHO enough.

First things first. You may not actually see the return of the "SHO" nameplate. Sources indicate to us that Ford may very well take a cue from across the pond and adorn the sedan with an "ST" badge.

The regular 2010 Taurus that Alan Mulally said they "should have made originally," is confirmed to debut at NAIAS 2009 and on sale a few months later. We feel pretty confident that the ST model will also debut in Detroit. However with NAIAS more than half a year away, things could certainly change. We wouldn't be shocked to see the ST model held over to debut at the 2009 Chicago Auto Show.

When the ST does debut, it's going to be packing Ford's new 3.5-liter, twin turbo, V6 motor. Previously known as the "Twin Force" motor, Ford has now re-branded it with the much more sedate "EcoBoost" name. Even with its less aggressive name, this forced-induction V6 will be tuned to produce 350 horsepower. This will put the Taurus in a heated battle with Chrysler's 340hp 300C, and will far exceed Chevy's 303hp Impala SS, if falling a little short of the Pontiac G8 GT's 361hp. We've been told to expect a zero to 60 time in the low-to-mid 6-second range.

Suspension-wise, the ST will feature a sport tuned version of Ford's new SR1 (Shock Ratio 1) suspension. The SR1 setup is a new independent rear suspension that will debut on Lincoln's MKS. Inside sources tell us not to expect huge hood scoops and massive spoilers. Rather, the ST will continue its role as a "sleeper," rolling on 20s and sporting a few moderate chrome accents in the front and rear fascia.

At the factory, Ford will be hoping for a return to the cult following that the SHO enjoyed in the '90s. Roughly 12-15% of the 2010 Tauruses that come down the production line will wear ST badges.

The last major nugget we hear about the ST concerns the drive wheels. If you're like us, 350hp to the front wheels sounds like a supremely bad idea. We're talking Crystal Pepsi bad. Instead of having you spin your tires through first and second gear, the ST looks ready to come with an AWD setup only. If not, we anticipate a fresh hole in the ozone layer solely from Taurus ST tire smoke.

Look for the Taurus ST to be available by next summer.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-taurus-st.html
Old 05-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I love SHO's. That's all I have to add to this. As much as I love my Camaros and will yell until I'm blue in the face about them being better than Mustangs....I love the SHO's and I love the Lightnings.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
It will be interesting to see how economical (or ecological? meh) this ecoboost will be. And I don't think it would be too hard for GM to give the Impala SS a bit more oomf -question is whether the car could handle more power.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
So people who want cars just for transportation are shifting towards the most economical choice and away from performance. And people who want performance cars are clamoring for RWD. So what does Ford decide to do? Put a performance engine in a FWD family car. This thing will have to have a performance oriented AWD system, and not one of those piddly "shift 10% torque to the rear every so often" systems. 300 hp is pretty much useless in the Impala SS. 350 is just stupid.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
truvkngfan

Drives: Porsche928,AMV8,Acadia,Accord
When I was at Ford's Proving Ground in Romeo Michigan last year for drivers training in the Aston Martin, they had what looked like a Ford 500 with big meats and dual exhaust. I asked the instructor if it was a new SHO and he told me that it was just 1 of the few cars there I couldn't get too close to. It did sound mean when they started it up, but I didn't get to see it running.
truvkngfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
dont have shit aganist a charger R/T and G8 GT

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:14 AM   #7
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
they still make the Taurus?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:31 AM   #8
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Ford really needs to bring in the Ford Falcon from down under. That would be a real contender with the G8 and Chargers for the muscle sedans.

Come to think of it, I think Ford in the US just needs to do what it does in both Europe and Australia. Ford of Europe is a very successful in terms of overall sales, and Ford in Australia actually makes cars with some real power. I mean seriously, with the exception of trucks, Ford only has three production 300+ bhp cars and they are all Mustangs (GT, Bullitt, GT500).

I know you guys are mostly Chevy fans, but Ford would be a lot more competitve if it was a little more like its overseas operations.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
Ford only has three production 300+ bhp cars and they are all Mustangs (GT, Bullitt, GT500).
they only have 1 because the GT500 and Bullitt aren't fords Vehicles
Old 06-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #10
vetterxx

Drives: '08 Corvette '67 Camaro SS
The SHO's are alot better than a regular Tarus, but honestly, they are really going to have to work hard to make this a car that anyone looking for something even mildly sporty would want to drive. I'm not even going to talk about how ford interiors are getting cheaper by the second. At least GM is getting the idea that people don't really like melted down army men for dashes.
vetterxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #11
WillInThe04Ranger

Drives: 04 Ranger, 95 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to WillInThe04Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09'Z28 View Post
They're Mustangs :P
Old 06-02-2008, 12:34 AM   #12
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetterxx View Post
The SHO's are alot better than a regular Tarus, but honestly, they are really going to have to work hard to make this a car that anyone looking for something even mildly sporty would want to drive. I'm not even going to talk about how ford interiors are getting cheaper by the second. At least GM is getting the idea that people don't really like melted down army men for dashes.
I don't think they'll have to work TOO hard, as most *normal* families, want a "safe car" that has some umph, I think it'll be a decent seller. they weren't smart to ditch the SHO when they did. imo.
they've done a pretty decent job advertising the fusion, as well as the old Five Hundred, I don't really understand why they renamed the five hundred to a Taurus & ditched the five hundred. but whatever. remember the Taurus used to be one of the best selling sedans..and with its recent advertisement, I think a performance trim will be good for it. as long as it's fuel efficient and is as sturdy as the old Taurus, it'll do well.
put a better engine in it, all the more to it.
I'll add more later about my experience with the '98 Taurus i currently have, gotta go to work, freakin lost track of time go me. =/

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:03 AM   #13
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09'Z28 View Post
That is wrong. The Bullitt is a Ford factory production vehicle as is the GT500. The Bullitt is produced fully in Dearborn, MI at a Ford plant just like the last Ford Mustang Bullitts.

The GT500 is a Ford SVT product with Shelby's name plastered all over it for marketing.

The special editions you are thinking about are Saleens, Roush's, etc....

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:51 AM   #14
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
That is wrong. The Bullitt is a Ford factory production vehicle as is the GT500. The Bullitt is produced fully in Dearborn, MI at a Ford plant just like the last Ford Mustang Bullitts.

The GT500 is a Ford SVT product with Shelby's name plastered all over it for marketing.

The special editions you are thinking about are Saleens, Roush's, etc....
This is supposedly how they got away with Bumblebee's first rival in Transformers being a "Mustang"...it was a Bullitt, not a Ford, so they got away with the rights without pissing off Ford.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote