Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

horizon670
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #976
The Stig

Drives: out of the ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third-Gen View Post
Hey Stig did you ever get those projectors put in???
Not yet. I'm slowly working my way through all the parts I've been stock-piling since last August.

I really do need to get them installed though. Saturday I should be able to get them installed.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #977
Third-Gen
Olson Kustom Works

Drives: 91 Camaro, LS3, TVS2300, TR6060
I know how that goes, Ive had a complete 2010 dash hanging in my garage for 4 months that needs to go in my 91. One day! Let me know if you need any help putting them in, I tried to make the instructions pretty simple.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #978
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
Quote:
Man, I thought this tread was LOOONNNGGG gone. For those of you who dont know me, my name is Jesse. AKA LTLAudio, HESS RS, and of course Third-Gen. I now run Olson Kustom Works, a shop in Anaheim, CA. I built the original kits under 2 different companies, Louder Than Life, where I built the first 2, and Hess Motorsports, where I built the DTS kit and another knob kit. These kits are my intellectual property, and if any of my old employers try to claim that the idea belongs to them, Ill see them in court!!

Ok now that that is out of the way, yes, I can still make you guys kits (and if Im offending any moderators please let me know!!). But its NOT cheap. I will have to find some of my old pics from the kits and show you guys just how much time goes into every single one. About $500 in just materials my cost, and about 80 hours of labor PER KIT. I sold one to RB Designs that went to SEMA years ago, but since I didnt have the radio for mockup, it didnt fit right. I think I gave him a deal at $1500. I am still willing to do kits one at a time, but with the price close to 2K, I dont see many people that want to pay for it. But, if you want one that bad, Ill make it happen.

As far as R&D costs go, Metra and Scoche have many embeded engineers on their staff and already had a ton of equipment that was able to talk to GM Class 2, CAN, LIN, etc, it was just a matter of building an interface for buttons and such. Keep in mind they had to make it somewhat cheap, and easy to use, and (kinda) reliable. For $250 or whatever it costs I say they got their goals met and sold quite a few units. For the guys that want something super custom, thats another story. For the true car guys, you know anything custom is going to cost. Anyone can take a Maggie and slap it on an LS3, but how many guys will go the extra mile (or pay it), for something custom?

well, yours is still the best looking option... If scosche or metra would have focused more on maintaining the looks of the OEM unit like you did they would have really cleaned up big time because everyone would have bought it,,, and all they really had to do was copy the OEM design, just move the ac controls lower to make room for the double din, I don't know why they didn't do that. Really, that center console design is really what sets off the interior of the car.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #979
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Man, I thought this tread was LOOONNNGGG gone. For those of you who dont know me, my name is Jesse. AKA LTLAudio, HESS RS, and of course Third-Gen. I now run Olson Kustom Works, a shop in Anaheim, CA. I built the original kits under 2 different companies, Louder Than Life, where I built the first 2, and Hess Motorsports, where I built the DTS kit and another knob kit. These kits are my intellectual property, and if any of my old employers try to claim that the idea belongs to them, Ill see them in court!!

Ok now that that is out of the way, yes, I can still make you guys kits (and if Im offending any moderators please let me know!!). But its NOT cheap. I will have to find some of my old pics from the kits and show you guys just how much time goes into every single one. About $500 in just materials my cost, and about 80 hours of labor PER KIT. I sold one to RB Designs that went to SEMA years ago, but since I didnt have the radio for mockup, it didnt fit right. I think I gave him a deal at $1500. I am still willing to do kits one at a time, but with the price close to 2K, I dont see many people that want to pay for it. But, if you want one that bad, Ill make it happen.
Good to see you still around Jesse / LTLAudio / HESS RS / Third-Gen !!

Can you still make one like the image below for $2k? This might be interesting. Reason being is that 2SS is looking at integrating MyLink into 2010-2012 cars. BUT, that is probably going to cost more than $2,500 to get all the parts required. If you can do this for $2k, it might well be worth it:

Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #980
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
Good to see you still around Jesse / LTLAudio / HESS RS / Third-Gen !!

Can you still make one like the image below for $2k? This might be interesting. Reason being is that 2SS is looking at integrating MyLink into 2010-2012 cars. BUT, that is probably going to cost more than $2,500 to get all the parts required. If you can do this for $2k, it might well be worth it:

Until someone comes out with something that looks on par with yours, I'll be planning an additional $2000 into my sound setup.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #981
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS A/T
Send a message via MSN to camarograna2
2K with or without the radio. Just askin not really interested
Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #982
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarograna2 View Post
2K with or without the radio. Just askin not really interested
Without
Old 05-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #983
crashprime

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS IOM M6
$2,000 isn't even that bad. Damn that radio looks nice.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:48 AM   #984
Third-Gen
Olson Kustom Works

Ya, Im still on here once in a while, mostly in Classifieds now haha. I can still make the one that looks like the pic that Eich posted of the Gen4 kit for 2k. I actually bought a complete dash for a 2010 to put in my 91 RS, so I have a nice test piece to do fit-up work on now. The 2k price is without a radio, and you have to send me the radio you want to use, and the stock dash plate. I custom fit every dash to every radio, I dont use stupid trim adapter rings like most OEM replacement kits. Color can be either stock grey metallic or color match, or left primer if you have a body guy. Paint it not my specialty so I have to send it out, and i know a lot of you guys have paint guys local.

The 2k price includes modifying the dash, prep for paint and paint, building the new boards and all the cables, mounting brackets for your radio, extension harness for stock radio brain (usually placed in trunk above wheel well), stock board relocation enclosure, instructions on install, and any other small parts needed for the kit. I wish I still had the kit above so I could take a mold of it.

Now that the new shop is up and running, I have the ability to start putting more time into kits and door projectors, and get back into the Camaro5 world :-)
Old 06-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #985
Third-Gen
Olson Kustom Works

never fails, everyone is interested until they are available again.........

Old 06-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #986
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Definitely interested, just have to save up, lol.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #987
Third-Gen
Olson Kustom Works

no worries Tysen, just funny how the thread dies off then comes back randomly.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #988
Third-Gen
Olson Kustom Works

RJ, just saw your new signature, sorry to hear about the car man!! Total bummer. I couldnt even imagine :(
Old 06-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #989
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
So I guess that means they are available again?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #990
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
I'm pretty interested in this, as soon as I have the money. How is the install?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #991
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Quote:
never fails, everyone is interested until they are available again.........

Is this Jesse? If so I'm still running those projectors you made me and get compliments all the time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #992
The Stig

Drives: out of the ashes
Quote:
RJ, just saw your new signature, sorry to hear about the car man!! Total bummer. I couldnt even imagine :(
Thanks man, appreciate it.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #993
2SSRS@Gen5diy
My other car is 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Still love that look, you where the first, to bad it never came to be lots of guys wanted it to work out.

Closed Thread

Tags
double din radio custom