Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 09-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
WICKEDSS
Dan

Drives: THE BEAST
Question Which turbo unit to go for?

Hey guys looking to turbo my car. I can get the tubing and stuff made by a buddy of mine i just dont know what kind of turbo to go with. I dont want to much power maybe 400-450 rwhp i was looking around at some single turbo kits but it seems like it would be cheaper to build a kit. So any input would be helpfull thanks
WICKEDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
If your going to turbocharge your Camaro, I think you have left you power goals a little low and or modest, sure you didnt mean 500-550

Example
With a typical LS3 car in stock from at 4000 rpms moving around 46 lbs/min or air (thats a rough calculation) then VE assuming is around 90% at that range, your really doing about 41 lbs/min you would want a turbo that will be as efficient as possible (which you will need a compressor map to plot against) at that point the turbo is producing the lowest amount of friction or heat into the engine, which means you get maximum power with the right intercooler sizing ect. From doing this so many times, I can tell you that turbo wise, I would look into for your goals around a garret gt37 or gt40, those are going to make more power then you a mentioning but will be efficient at around 6-8 psi which is what I would feel comfortable running on a stock motor.

Here is the thing that irritates me with turbo kit currently, people are just throwing parts together with not enough science or reason. So my advice is to take your time, find out how much power potential you want, at what rpm are you wanting to see full boost or peak torque, how much boost are you willing to run, and then pick a turbo. After that move to the intercooler, ect. There is a method to the madness

Good Luck and feel free to contact myself or our shop for help, we much happier when we give people the right information that allows you to design a proper system, rather then just spending dollars upon dollars on parts that dont work properly.

Regards
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
WICKEDSS
Dan

ok say i shoot for 500-550 what all will be needed. I dont want to have to do to much to the bottom end so i would like to run a safe boost. Im not to smart with forced induction. my last car was a 2001 formula N/A heads and cam and such. I know ill need a inercooler and wastegate and injectors. Sorry for all the ?? i just want to make sure i know enough about what im getting in to. One more thing do you know any places that will sell a kit with all the needed stuff besides the tubing
Old 09-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by WICKEDSS View Post
ok say i shoot for 500-550 what all will be needed. I dont want to have to do to much to the bottom end so i would like to run a safe boost. Im not to smart with forced induction. my last car was a 2001 formula N/A heads and cam and such. I know ill need a inercooler and wastegate and injectors. Sorry for all the ?? i just want to make sure i know enough about what im getting in to. One more thing do you know any places that will sell a kit with all the needed stuff besides the tubing
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
WICKEDSS
Dan

Ok next question!! as you know i dont know much about forced induction....now do i need to tie both manifolds in to the turbo or just run one manifold. A friend of mine was saying i should tie both in...Im going to mount the turbo where the factory air box is, if there is a problem mounting it there please let me know. Most of the kits i see are bottom mounted i just dont like the idea of the air filter being under the car
Old 09-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
jnewberr2ssrs

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Subscribed...
Old 09-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
You have to tie in both to a cross over pipe to merge the air from both exhaust ports.
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
WICKEDSS
Dan

Ok cool deal Brandon..Ya as soon as you get the list of what i will need just send it over to me and ill check it out....chevyman919@aol.com