Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 09-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
camaro envy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Has anyone actually tried the heritage rims on RS?

According to the following thread, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11801&page=2, it was said by a very knowledgable member that you cannot put the heritage rims on any SS or any car with the RS package. I have seen some say that they are going to get the heritage rims as their winter rims, but I have yet to see anyone say that they have tried to fit them on.

Anyone try it yet?
camaro envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
They dont fit on the SS because of the brakes. They will fit on a V6 car with the RS package though. The RS package has nothing to do with brakes.
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
camaro envy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
I don't know how well this will work, but this is Hylton's quote from that thread that says you can't do RS with the heritage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Please don't apologize for not knowing something as we are all here to help each other.

To be specific, the tranny speedo has been configured to tire height and final gear ratio, not wheel size. Assuming you get 18 inch wheels that will fit, the speedo will not be affected, provided that the height of the winter tire is equal to the height of your 20 inch tire. With me so far?

Now, with respect to the rear end, Chevrolet designers decided to put the rear spindle/hub assembly of an SS on any LT Camaro with the RS package. This was done so that the 20 inch wheels on an RS car would have the same positioning as the SS cars otherwise the offset would track the car incorrectly and affect handling. The downside of this is that this offset will now make it impossible to put the factory 18 inch wheels on the SS hub without having clearance problems.

Someone can chime in here but didn't Chevrolet say last week that they will only be offering a 20" winter wheel/tire package? Not saying that you can't put 18" winter tires on factory LS steelies.
camaro envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
Hmmm...
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
JChen

Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT RS
Interesting... I hope it's not the case. I had the parts manager at my dealership order me a set of the 18 inch Heritage steelies to put on my V6 RS along with Pirelli Ice & Snow tires. I asked if there would be any issues with clearance, odometer, speedo, etc. He said it'd be fine so long as the tire size was the same or very close to the RS'.
JChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:10 AM   #6
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
If it's anything like the 4th gens you may have to dremel the center of the wheels out to clear the hubs. Not a big deal.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:17 AM   #7
JChen

Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT RS
The wiki says the suspension is 4.5 link, no mention of the LS/LT being 4.0 as stated here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Time to educate a few -

When you order an RS, you get the 19 inch wheels. This actually triggers the SS hubs in the rear and you end up with a 4.5 link rear end vs the 4 link in the LT and the 5 link in the SS. Spoke to Al Oppenheimer to great length about the rear suspension unit. I suggest some poeple do their own research before calling people names or assuming someone is speculating. Good day.
JChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #8
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
This 1ST came to light last Feb. It still has not been confirmed by a reliable source that what was told to Hylton is not going to affect how the car tracks or handles. It has nothing to do with brake size.
In 40 years of driving GM I have seen lots of goofy stuff just like this and the last guy to know about it is a mechanic at the local dealership.