Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
SSmuscle

Drives: 2SS/RS IBM
De-Ionized water system

Don't know if anyone has posted this system but was cruising through the costco website and found this

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...se=&lang=en-US

Has anybody used this before and what were the results?
SSmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Camaro007

Drives: 2SS/RS Black
I got this system 2-3 months ago and love it. I don't need to wait to wash my car early in the morning or late at night. I can wash in direct sun light and no water spots. As long as you have a good wax the water just beeds off the car when your done. I wash the car with the water system and not just the final rinse.
Just check what your PPM (Parts Per Million) of water hardness. Then you can see what type of system you need the large or smaller. I have 100 PPM from my well water and have washed my car about 18-24 times and my filters are at about 2-3 ppm. Also I use this system on my house windows and no water spots on my windows. Let me know if you need any addtional info or if I can answer any questions.

PS. I have the large one DIC-20 with rack. I also found a coupon code on the internet and got about $50 off.

Last edited by Camaro007; 09-20-2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Addtional Info
Camaro007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
bluecamaroguy

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS ABM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro007 View Post
I got this system 2-3 months ago and love it. I don't need to wait to wash my car early in the morning or late at night. I can wash in direct sun light and no water spots. As long as you have a good wax the water just beeds off the car when your done. I wash the car with the water system and not just the final rinse.
Just check what your PPM (Parts Per Million) of water hardness. Then you can see what type of system you need the large or smaller. I have 100 PPM from my well water and have washed my car about 18-24 times and my filters are at about 2-3 ppm. Also I use this system on my house windows and no water spots on my windows. Let me know if you need any addtional info or if I can answer any questions.

PS. I have the large one DIC-20 with rack. I also found a coupon code on the internet and got about $50 off.
I get my water directly out of a canal so there is tons of minerals similar to your well water. Is there ever hard water deposits left behind on your car?

Also do those blue tanks need to be refilled or does it last forever?
bluecamaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
Camaro007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecamaroguy View Post
I get my water directly out of a canal so there is tons of minerals similar to your well water. Is there ever hard water deposits left behind on your car?

Also do those blue tanks need to be refilled or does it last forever?
No water spots at all. These RO filters remove all minerals and that is why you get a spot less water. I wash my car in direct sun light and don't dry the car and no water spots at all.
I didn't believe that this would work. So I tested it. I removed all current water spots that I had on my car from my house water using Z-PC from Zaino and washed my car in direct sun and watched. No water spots.
Yes youb need to change the filter or change the resin in them. Check your PPM to see which system you need. My well as about 100ppm and washed my car 18-20 times and my system is reading 2-3ppm. You need to change your resin and/or filter at about 25-30 ppm I think. Check. I should get about 800 gallons per filter/resin.
I was debaiting either the vacuum drier or this system I figured even if I washed the car during the day even with the blower i would still get water spots.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
bluecamaroguy

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS ABM!
Did some searching around on google and looks like this I should either get this stuff or something called ONR Optimum no rinse. Looks like ONR would work too. I am just worried at the refills on this de-inozed system. The refills look pretty expensive.
bluecamaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
I had posted a kit for $80 that goes on your hose with changable filters....about 3 months ago, IF someone wants to seach for it
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
DI water is awesome. Spot-free is essentially why we use it in my lab to wash off glassware and lab utensils. I would recommend getting a DI system. The Mr. Clean car wash gun uses similar technology with a replaceable filter.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
SSOOCH
"El Dictator"

Drives: 08 HHR SS, 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
OMG...I need this!
Old 09-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
Camaro007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecamaroguy View Post
Did some searching around on google and looks like this I should either get this stuff or something called ONR Optimum no rinse. Looks like ONR would work too. I am just worried at the refills on this de-inozed system. The refills look pretty expensive.

Personally I like the CR Spotless system for the facted that I don't need to dry the car. I have a Black camaro and the less I rub on it (ie. drying the water off the car) the less potential scratches i get. I figured if I just wash my car with the DIW-20 i get about 800 gallons. That should last me a year. and to replace the resin in the filter is simple and cost effective for $90-$120 a year IMO is worth the cost. I would cost me more to get all the water spots and micro scratches out of the clear coat per year. I've tried other filters and double filter prior to this system and still got water spots and could only wash my cars in the early morning and late evening out of direct sun light.With this system I can was my car anytime of the day and in half the time. I takes longer to dry and detail the car then washing. I wash the car and go play with my kids come back later and a quick detail with Zaino Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray and done. I got the DIC-20 High Output Rolling System for $449.99 and found a coupon on the web for about $50 bucks off. Just did my house windows this weekend and did my second floor from the ground with this water system power washer and a windows cleaning brush on a extention. No need to wipe the windows "Spot free".
Sorry for such the long comment, but IMO this system is worth it for this car.

DIW-20
High Output
R2-20 $90.00
1 Complete refill for DIC-20 and DIW-20.
or
RC2-20 $120.00
Resin Replacement Cartridges for DIC-20

DIW-10
Medium Output
R2-10 $45.00
1 complete refill for DIC-10 and DIW-10.
or
RC2-10 $60.00
Resin Replacement Cartridges for DIC-10 and DIW-10
Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
DI water is awesome. Spot-free is essentially why we use it in my lab to wash off glassware and lab utensils. I would recommend getting a DI system. The Mr. Clean car wash gun uses similar technology with a replaceable filter.
Mr. Clean looks like a better deal.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
My girlfriend uses Mr. Clean on her black Tacoma - it leaves streaks. I don't like it. She was using it on her silver Toyota pickup and I tried it on my black Frontier and told her it left spots. She didn't believe it. Now that she has a black vehicle, she sees the spots. I won't use Mr. Clean on my black Camaro!

Scott, was it this one? http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/deluxefilter.html
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #12
Outlaw

Drives: 2SS M6, IBM w/ Silver Rally
I'm getting one of these then. I have well water that has a lot of minerals! Thanks!

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
save the four hundred dollars and just add two filters to your water line for your outside water.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #14
Camaro007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
My girlfriend uses Mr. Clean on her black Tacoma - it leaves streaks. I don't like it. She was using it on her silver Toyota pickup and I tried it on my black Frontier and told her it left spots. She didn't believe it. Now that she has a black vehicle, she sees the spots. I won't use Mr. Clean on my black Camaro!

Scott, was it this one? http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/deluxefilter.html
Hey if you going to buy this I'll sell you mine minus the filters and salt. These system didn't work for me. Still got water spots. Thats why I went with the CRspot less system. Let me know if your interested...
Old 09-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #15
Camaro007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
I'm getting one of these then. I have well water that has a lot of minerals! Thanks!
Just a little hint. You'll need to wash your car with the water system not just teh final rinse. If you wash the car with normal water in sunligt by the time you get to the final rinse you'll have water spots. Use the filtered water from beginning to end. You'll use more of the filter life, but IMO it's worth it.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #16
Steve P

Drives: None
I tested this DI tank from www.portablewaterdi.com earlier this summer on babyjiulie83's SS.

Cost is $299.00 + $18.00 shipped.

Resin refill cartridge are priced at $80.00

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29956
Steve P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #17
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

I used Mr. Clean system for 3 years already andhavent had any problems if the filter was maintained. I used the regular water line to wash/rinse but after the whole car is washed you have to use the spot free setting over the entire car. You have to use plenty of di water to rinse away the hard water for it to be effective. A quick spray or two over a body panel is not enough. If you have more hard water on a body panel than di water rinsing, the di water becomes hard and you'll have spots.

As for streaking Im not sure what can be doing this aside from not rinsing wash soap off well enough. The Mr. Clean wash soap takes a good amount of water to rinse off.

Bottom line is make sure filters are fresh (2-3 uses) and rinse rinse rinse.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #18
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Also I never wash the car in the sun. DI water or not.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #19
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
After the first application of the 3 coats of Zaino (I know have 4 on), I have no need of the soft water. I NEVER wash her in the sun, and regular water beads right off while I dry her with 2 soft cotton towels. Don't need the soft or de-ionized water systems
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote