Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
isleguy99
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Summit White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: indiana
Posts: 29
To Buy or not to Buy?

Hey Guys,

First post. I'm looking to trade in my 98 Vette conv/29000 miles for a 2LT/RS IOM. Since i'm in the midwest with winter looming should I order now and get in 6-8 weeks (dec/jan) or wait until after the new year to order. I really want it asap but since it won't be my primary car for the winter it will mostly be eye candy in the garage. Just want opinions as to what you folks would do

thanks
isleguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
mjlash22

 
mjlash22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Ford Fusion SE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,450
If it's not going to be your daily driver than you might as well wait. If you order it now, it's just going to taunt you sitting in your garage for a few months. In the end though, up to you.
__________________
Ordered: 2LT/RS CGM, A6
1100 = Preliminary Order 10/1/09
2000 = Accepted By GM 12/31/09
3000 = Accepted By Production Control 1/7/10 (TPW: 2/1/10)
3400 = Broadcast 1/23/10
3800 = Produced 2/2/10 (2G1FC1EV6A9189068)
4150 = Invoiced 2/5/10
4200 = Shipped
5000 = Delivered To Dealer
6000 = Delivered To Customer
mjlash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
NoUCantDriveIt


 
Drives: 2SS RS M6 CGM/Black Rally
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 5,160
If you don't think you'll get a better deal by waiting a few months then I say get it now. Even if you don't want to put it on the road, it will give you time to get familar with all the interior thinga-ma-bobs
NoUCantDriveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleguy99 View Post
Hey Guys,

First post. I'm looking to trade in my 98 Vette conv/29000 miles for a 2LT/RS IOM. Since i'm in the midwest with winter looming should I order now and get in 6-8 weeks (dec/jan) or wait until after the new year to order. I really want it asap but since it won't be my primary car for the winter it will mostly be eye candy in the garage. Just want opinions as to what you folks would do

thanks
Man....are you sure you want to go with an LT?

Not that the LT isn't a good car but since you are trading in a Vette and it's not a daily driver you might want to think about at least going with a 1SS.

Just a thought....

You'll get taken through the ringer if you buy an LT and 6 mths later you decide that you should've got an SS so you have to trade in. I would say...wait, save your money up and get an SS.

But if your good with an LT there is nothing wrong with that. That is a very good car as well.
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
scott53
 
scott53's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 1LT/RS, '14 Corvette, GMC Yukon
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW PA
Posts: 170
I'm with you isleguy99. Three weeks ago I orderd a 1LT/RS and plan to trade in my 1998 Corvette/16,500 miles. Money is not an issue as I will be paying cash and could do the same with either a new SS or Corvette. I've owned Vettes for over 20 years and have had the '98 for 10 years. I simply WANT a new Camaro because the look so good and it will be a fun ride. As to why the V6? I don't use the 345 hp that my '98 has and I certainly would not use the 426 or 400 hp that the SS has. I want a road car that has enough power (whatever that is?!), handles well, and gets good gas milage for trips. I've driven and LT and SS and for what I want, the LT is a better balanced car in the areas that matter to me. Will I someday buy another Corvette? Most likley. Today my dealer told me that LT/RSs are on constraint and I may not get mine until next year. As it does not usually snow every day during the winter, I would order now.
scott53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
ART-2008
 
Drives: 2010 SS Camaro 6M, 2005 Lotus Elise
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lake Orion, Michigan
Posts: 107
Isleguy,

I am in the same situation. My decision was; GO FOR IT NOW! I ordered a 2SS on 8/13. I live in Michigan and drive a Hummer H-3 in the winter. Since I ordered my car the base price increased $315.00 and shipping increased $55.00 [in fairness to GM, the price increase added rear parking assist]. The GM buy-back program can be waived in exchange for a $500.00 rebate [I believe that this program was extended to early January 2011]. This car is a smokin' Bargain, currently the closest competition to the SS Camaro is the Challenger SRT-8 which starts at about $42,000 with it's Gass Guzzler tax.

If you like one of the current versions of the car, and an available color, I say Buy It Now! Quick! Before GM wises up and raises the price. Or the goverment steps in and powers them all with four cylinders & electric engines.

Best Wishes............Art
ART-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:53 PM   #7
isleguy99
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Summit White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: indiana
Posts: 29
thanks for the opinions. I don't think i can wait. I'll put my order in and wait til it arrives. As long as its not snowing I will still drive it. scott53 we have the same philosophies, I don't use all the horses in the vette surely don't need 400 + horses. The LT/RS will be sweet!!!
isleguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
mjlash22

 
mjlash22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Ford Fusion SE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleguy99 View Post
thanks for the opinions. I don't think i can wait. I'll put my order in and wait til it arrives. As long as its not snowing I will still drive it. scott53 we have the same philosophies, I don't use all the horses in the vette surely don't need 400 + horses. The LT/RS will be sweet!!!
Just a word of caution... plan on looking for new tires if you get the RS. Summer tires in cold weather (snow or not) will leave you with one messed up camaro if you're not careful. You should look at all season replacements or a winter tire/rim set.
__________________
Ordered: 2LT/RS CGM, A6
1100 = Preliminary Order 10/1/09
2000 = Accepted By GM 12/31/09
3000 = Accepted By Production Control 1/7/10 (TPW: 2/1/10)
3400 = Broadcast 1/23/10
3800 = Produced 2/2/10 (2G1FC1EV6A9189068)
4150 = Invoiced 2/5/10
4200 = Shipped
5000 = Delivered To Dealer
6000 = Delivered To Customer
mjlash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #9
Susantroy1
To All Veterans
 
Susantroy1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT RS Inferno Orange
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New Port Richey
Posts: 471
I'd wait prices will be lower....
Susantroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:27 PM   #10
mjlash22

 
mjlash22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Ford Fusion SE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susantroy1 View Post
I'd wait prices will be lower....
Maybe...but its not like he's planning on ordering a year out. This would be in a few months max for him to beat out the winter. Prices are probably more likely to go up than down in the next month or two, not saying that either of that is accurate.
__________________
Ordered: 2LT/RS CGM, A6
1100 = Preliminary Order 10/1/09
2000 = Accepted By GM 12/31/09
3000 = Accepted By Production Control 1/7/10 (TPW: 2/1/10)
3400 = Broadcast 1/23/10
3800 = Produced 2/2/10 (2G1FC1EV6A9189068)
4150 = Invoiced 2/5/10
4200 = Shipped
5000 = Delivered To Dealer
6000 = Delivered To Customer
mjlash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
isleguy99
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Summit White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: indiana
Posts: 29
I didn't want to wait. Ordered a 2lt/rs IOM w/ IOM interior today!! They had the exact car in ss on lot but couldn't justify the extra dough for my kind of driving.
isleguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
scott53
 
scott53's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 1LT/RS, '14 Corvette, GMC Yukon
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW PA
Posts: 170
Congratulations isleguy, that will be one great looking ride! I look forward to seeing pictures when you get it.
scott53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #13
Scott Jones
 
Scott Jones's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2010 1LT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 50
Where are you at in Indiana?
__________________
Scott Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
isleguy99
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Summit White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: indiana
Posts: 29
granger
isleguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Group Buy - Custom Speaker Boxes, Amps, Subs (Updated post 25) TAG UR IT USA - Texas 41 10-19-2009 08:56 PM
Why you can't buy a new car directly from the manufacturer scotchsride09 Off-topic Discussions 13 02-14-2009 05:15 PM
Wanna order a 2LT, but won't be ready to buy it until June...should I wait? Ant Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 6 01-22-2009 09:28 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.