Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Silver Surfer
 
Silver Surfer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS SIM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 152
What is the BEST way to wash your car in WINTER??

ok, so it looks like im looking at a mid-later Oct. delivery. Just realized that i wont be getting any sunny driving weather out of it till next year.

So i was thinking how am i going to wash it during the Winter?? Cant really hand wash it, i live in Tx i doesnt get that cold, but i still dont want to go outside and play with water in the Winter. All the car washing places are closed, and PLUS I WOULD NEVER LET SOMEONE ELSE PUT THEIR HANDS ON IT..

So i guess im asking yall what it the BEST way to wash it during the winter..
__________________
2LT/RS SIM, Sunroof Auto

1100, Preliminary order accepted May 26
2000, Order accepted by GM Sept 3
3000, Order accepted by production control Sept 12
3300, Order scheduled for production TPW 9/28
3400, Order broadcast Sept 25
3800, Order produced Oct 2
4200, Shipped Oct 2
5000, Delivered to the dealer Oct 20
6000, Delivered to the owner Oct 20
Silver Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Moose
Moderator
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newtown, Pa.
Posts: 4,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
ok, so it looks like im looking at a mid-later Oct. delivery. Just realized that i wont be getting any sunny driving weather out of it till next year.

So i was thinking how am i going to wash it during the Winter?? Cant really hand wash it, i live in Tx i doesnt get that cold, but i still dont want to go outside and play with water in the Winter. All the car washing places are closed, and PLUS I WOULD NEVER LET SOMEONE ELSE PUT THEIR HANDS ON IT..

So i guess im asking yall what it the BEST way to wash it during the winter..
I just returned from Texas! Went to see the Cowboys in their new stadium. It doesn't get THAT cold in Texas!!!

My first thought was to visit a car wash with bays, where you could pull in, and wash by hand, using your own supplies.

I wash mine here in the North East during the winter...I wash it, then get it inside the garage asap to finish. Do you have a garage available?

A BIG help in keeping your car clean during the winter is to get protection on it as soon as you get the car. A good coat of wax/polish will be a huge help in keeping your car clean.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Silver Surfer
 
Silver Surfer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS SIM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 152
Yes, i can put it in the garage.. i just didnt know what the best way to wash it was.. i would rather wash it by hand, then take it to the car wash with bays..

But you said that u wash it by hand then hurry up and put it in the garage.. yea, i can do that
__________________
2LT/RS SIM, Sunroof Auto

1100, Preliminary order accepted May 26
2000, Order accepted by GM Sept 3
3000, Order accepted by production control Sept 12
3300, Order scheduled for production TPW 9/28
3400, Order broadcast Sept 25
3800, Order produced Oct 2
4200, Shipped Oct 2
5000, Delivered to the dealer Oct 20
6000, Delivered to the owner Oct 20
Silver Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper
 
tjbusa's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lexington,SC
Posts: 3,170
There are always those warm days in between, Your blessed in Texas, I have lived and worked in the northern states where a day above 32 would be your choice. Rubber gloves were a must, I am pleased to live in the south again for sure.
__________________
***************************************
Drive-by

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
***************************************
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
Moose
Moderator
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newtown, Pa.
Posts: 4,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
Yes, i can put it in the garage.. i just didnt know what the best way to wash it was.. i would rather wash it by hand, then take it to the car wash with bays..

But you said that u wash it by hand then hurry up and put it in the garage.. yea, i can do that
By all means, wash by hand. The only reason I mentioned going to a car wash was to be able to pull into a bay, and stay out of the elements while washing, by hand.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
BB_Yellow2010
 
BB_Yellow2010's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99 Rally Yellow
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Youngsville, LA
Posts: 247
Hey man, I live in Louisiana, and Texas weather is pretty much the same. Just wash it like you would in the summer time, just pick a warmer winter day, you know we have em! And if you absolutely have to wash it when its really cold, just fill your bucket with warm water, thats what I do, its alot better on your hands.
__________________
This car is amazing...
BB_Yellow2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
scythezo6
Virologist in the making
 
scythezo6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: El Paso TX
Posts: 2,868
Shorts, flipflops and a wife beater - only way to wash the car. jK

I live in west TX and the winters here are dry cold and windy. I don't have a garage so I'll be bundled up, in rubber gloves, and in a drive in bay =/.
__________________
Victory Red 1SS/RS Ordered - 8/4/09 & Joined Camaro5.com family
6000, Delivered to the customer - 12/21/09
scythezo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
boreas
 
boreas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS TFE yeah!
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Posts: 156
I will be using mine in the deep, dark, cold Québec winters. We're talking 5 feet of snow all around, minus 20 celcius (minus 4 F), salt, grit...

Fortunately, I have a heated garage to wash it. But my question is: should I rinse the car every night when I come back home, or is once a week enough?

Phil
boreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
Chris@glimmerglass
 
Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 207
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
optimum no rinse! No doubt, this stuff is amazing. I'll post up some pics of it in use on my M3 over the winter. Truly amazing stuff!
__________________
Chris@glimmerglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
OBSSEST
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 413
I still hand wash in winter, even if I am not going to dry, just to keep the road grime (salt, sand, etc.) from building up. I generally fill the bucket with warm water from the bath tub and it saves from freezing fingers.
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
Chris@glimmerglass
 
Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 207
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Ok, here are the pictures, as promised.

Now, this was a bit of an extreme example. I wouldn't recommend letting the vehicle get this bad each time. I just did it to show that its possible

For those that arent familiar, the product that was used here is Optimum No Rinse. It is a hoseless wash, meaning that you only need your 5 gallon bucket, a few ounces of ONR in the bucket along w/ some water, a grit guard (highly recommended) and your wash mitt(s). Although you can use a microfiber towel, my preference is a lambswool mitt since they tend to hold more water.
Now, you can also mix a little bit in a spray bottle and prespray a panel beforehand but its not necessary.

As mentioned, you dont need a hose. You can simply start by washing your first panel w/ the ONR mixture, rinse it out in the bucket and move on to your next panel. This stuff is a life saver for winter washes and those who live in areas where they dont have access to a hose (ie: apartment complexes, etc). ONR isn't reserved for winter only. I cant even begin to count how many customers use it as their regular wash product (my personal preference during warm months is still a traditional wash though).

Anyway, heres some pics. Enjoy





























__________________
Chris@glimmerglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #12
Silver Surfer
 
Silver Surfer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS SIM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@glimmerglass View Post
Ok, here are the pictures, as promised.

Now, this was a bit of an extreme example. I wouldn't recommend letting the vehicle get this bad each time. I just did it to show that its possible

For those that arent familiar, the product that was used here is Optimum No Rinse. It is a hoseless wash, meaning that you only need your 5 gallon bucket, a few ounces of ONR in the bucket along w/ some water, a grit guard (highly recommended) and your wash mitt(s). Although you can use a microfiber towel, my preference is a lambswool mitt since they tend to hold more water.
Now, you can also mix a little bit in a spray bottle and prespray a panel beforehand but its not necessary.

As mentioned, you dont need a hose. You can simply start by washing your first panel w/ the ONR mixture, rinse it out in the bucket and move on to your next panel. This stuff is a life saver for winter washes and those who live in areas where they dont have access to a hose (ie: apartment complexes, etc). ONR isn't reserved for winter only. I cant even begin to count how many customers use it as their regular wash product (my personal preference during warm months is still a traditional wash though).

Anyway, heres some pics. Enjoy






























Looks Good.. BMW man huh, thats next on my list..
__________________
2LT/RS SIM, Sunroof Auto

1100, Preliminary order accepted May 26
2000, Order accepted by GM Sept 3
3000, Order accepted by production control Sept 12
3300, Order scheduled for production TPW 9/28
3400, Order broadcast Sept 25
3800, Order produced Oct 2
4200, Shipped Oct 2
5000, Delivered to the dealer Oct 20
6000, Delivered to the owner Oct 20
Silver Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
Silver Surfer
 
Silver Surfer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS SIM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanandGreen View Post
I still hand wash in winter, even if I am not going to dry, just to keep the road grime (salt, sand, etc.) from building up. I generally fill the bucket with warm water from the bath tub and it saves from freezing fingers.
Yeah.. see thats the main reason i was asking.. i know the salt and sand build up can be harmful for the paint.. so i wanted to know how you would keep it off during the winter.
__________________
2LT/RS SIM, Sunroof Auto

1100, Preliminary order accepted May 26
2000, Order accepted by GM Sept 3
3000, Order accepted by production control Sept 12
3300, Order scheduled for production TPW 9/28
3400, Order broadcast Sept 25
3800, Order produced Oct 2
4200, Shipped Oct 2
5000, Delivered to the dealer Oct 20
6000, Delivered to the owner Oct 20
Silver Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
scythezo6
Virologist in the making
 
scythezo6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: El Paso TX
Posts: 2,868
Wow not bad. I love doing the traditional hand washing routine in the summer, but this would kick ace in the winter. Thanks.
__________________
Victory Red 1SS/RS Ordered - 8/4/09 & Joined Camaro5.com family
6000, Delivered to the customer - 12/21/09
scythezo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #15
Silver Surfer
 
Silver Surfer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS SIM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 152
hey..

whats a good place to go get car washing supplies?? Ex. soap, buckets, microfiber rags... all that good stuff
__________________
2LT/RS SIM, Sunroof Auto

1100, Preliminary order accepted May 26
2000, Order accepted by GM Sept 3
3000, Order accepted by production control Sept 12
3300, Order scheduled for production TPW 9/28
3400, Order broadcast Sept 25
3800, Order produced Oct 2
4200, Shipped Oct 2
5000, Delivered to the dealer Oct 20
6000, Delivered to the owner Oct 20
Silver Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #16
Angelo@Autopia
 
Angelo@Autopia's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 939
Hey Silver Surfer

Here's one place to start. www.properautocare.com there's a sale going on now for 10% off and 5.95 flat shipping that ends tonight at midnight. Give it a shot and save some dinero.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #17
Chris@glimmerglass
 
Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 207
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
hey..

whats a good place to go get car washing supplies?? Ex. soap, buckets, microfiber rags... all that good stuff
Through us of course

Here is a link to our wash section:
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/exshbure.html

Heres the microfiber section:
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com...-products.html

And heres the rest of the good stuff:
www.glimmerglassdetailing.com

Please dont hesitate to ask if you have any questions. We also offer members here a discount by simply entering Camaro5 in the coupon box during checkout
__________________
Chris@glimmerglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #18
RAdams
Car Guy
 
RAdams's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Mustang GT, '01 Isuzu VehiCROSS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 440
Hey Chris, I love the idea of this solution for winter! One question - how does it compare to Meguiar's Gold Class soap in regards to not stripping the wax?
RAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:53 PM   #19
Chris@glimmerglass
 
Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 207
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAdams View Post
Hey Chris, I love the idea of this solution for winter! One question - how does it compare to Meguiar's Gold Class soap in regards to not stripping the wax?
Thanks! ONR is surface friendly and will not strip your wax I think it even adds a nice, mild gloss to the paint
__________________
Chris@glimmerglass is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Onstar....a spy???? please comment dieseldave24v General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 138 02-23-2012 01:12 PM
Winner, winner - Jalopnik compares the Big 3 Number 3 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 31 04-17-2011 03:24 PM
What's considered a Muscle Car? SyN General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 125 09-25-2010 12:04 AM
Pedders Suspension Benchmark Track Testing and New Jersey Track Day Info@PeddersUSA.com USA - NY / NJ / PA 35 10-26-2009 05:20 PM
"The car of the future may turn out to be no car at all." Scotsman General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 2 11-03-2007 12:22 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.