Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
Calif. Duster IS scratching

Been reading for awhile but first post here.

It's been awhile since I've had black paint to take care of, but I suffer from OCD and enjoy the task. I have been dusting my silver and white cars for years between weekly washes with a CA duster and would have previously recommended them to anyone. no more.

I picked up my black 2SS RS 8 days ago. It was pristine. The dealership did a great polish, don't know what product they used and didn't care at the time cause it looked so darned good. I could pick out a very few micro scratches here and there but knew I could get them myself with my Ultimate Detailer. I used my CA Duster daily for 6 days, washed once in there and the paint feels like silk. Now, there are unquestionably dozens more micro scratches in long straight lines following the strokes of the CA Duster. It has always bothered me to be dragging trapped particles across paint but I'm definitely DONE now...the CA Duster went in the garbage.

I've started a daily wipe down with Meguiars detail spray which I like, but dries fast on warm paint and then you need to use glass cleaner on the windows. I'm leaning towards water dampened micro-fiber towels and wiping from top-down since there seems to be alot of tire/brake dust accumulated on the rocker and lower fender areas that I don't want to smear across my hood.

I feel better about wiping clean damp micro-fiber across my hood than a CA Duster full of who knows what. We'll see how it goes. Someone else posted that if the CA Duster is good enough for the owners of $300k Ferraris he sees at car shows then it's good enough for his $40k Camaro...not mine.

Last edited by OBSSEST; 09-24-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typos
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
LSXgirl

Drives: turbo'd 4 banger
If you have a black or any dark colored car...do not use a California Duster. It's better off being a little dusty.
LSXgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
bluecamaroguy

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS ABM!
Crap I just got mine in the mail today. I have aqua blue so it will scratch my car?
bluecamaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1970 Chevelle SS454, 2010 SSRS
Use what is call a Kozak, a paint shop that does 30k paint jobs on hot rods, thats all he has used for as long as I can remember to wipe down a customer's car before he picks it up

A California duster has some sort of waxy substance when new that leave marks on our paint in the hot AZ sun, Perhaps when they are broken in more, they do better, but I've never liked them
Old 09-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
I used the CA duster for years and never had any problems.
It could be excess wax being streaked across the surface.
If I had a black car I would wash it more often tan dusting it.
Sorry to hear that though.
Streaks and swirls are for undies and peppermint candies, not a beautiful car
Old 09-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
LSXgirl

When you first get a Cailfornia duster you have to sit it on newspaper for 48 hours...something to do with the wax on the bristles. I'd just avoid using one altogether, but I'm super anal about cleaning my black car, I don't even use towels to dry it. And if you want a good spray detailer, get Poorboy's quick detailer from www.autogeek.com. It is AMAZING.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
I've seen micro scratches on a new Corvette in the showroom. They're hard to avoid with a black car. When I wax my car, they go away. A good coat of wax should help protect the paint when using a duster. Also, be sure not to rub the finish with the duster. Just lightly let the duster's bristles glide over the paint. I've been using one for years on my black car.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
I'm familiar with the streaks that the CA Duster leaves when it's new. They're coated in parafin wax from what I remember. Sorry, but these are scratches, very fine albeit but scratches nonetheless.

I'm sure the CA Duster is scratching ALL colors, you can just see it better on black. I think the blue and CGM might hide them better because the metallic paint throws the light around but they're still there. No biggee if you can't see them, but on black, you can.

I've had my nose to the paint for 9 days now and just can't drag dirt across it anymore.
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
LSXgirl

To legitimately get rid of swirls you need a full paint correction, no hand waxing will get rid of swirls and half the people that use buffers use them incorrectly, or just "fill in" the swirls and they reappear after the next wash. I know a local detailer who's pretty damn good, but to get a good full detail costs hundreds of dollars. Where is El Dorado Hills exactly? I'll tell you, do not use your California duster, just let your car get dusty.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
I see very few Cal dusters at car shows, last Sunday in a show of 200 cars and trucks, I saw one!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
I wont touch my car with nothing, including detail spray until it's washed
first.
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #12
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Beware. When you are wiping the car with a micro-fiber or anything, between washes, you are also just dragging the dirt across before the rag completely picks it up. You will always get scratches. You don't see them in other colors but you will see them in black and IBM. Wash the car more frequently if you like to keep it clean. The wipe down in-between washes routine on a black car is bad.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #13
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1970 Chevelle SS454, 2010 SSRS
Black Car = Very Hard to Keep Poifect
Old 09-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
coolman

As often as you are putting your mitts on the car no matter what you use with black paint you will see swirls and scratchs. The best way to keep paint nice is to not be rubbing on it all the time. I've used the cali duster for many years and never had an issue. I also don't buy dark colored cars for the same reason.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #15
LSXgirl

Yup just don't dust it ever, just wash it. And use a leaf blower and/or air compressor to dry it, that way you don't have to even touch it with a microfiber except maybe to get the occassional run, and your black will always look like this in direct sunlight:

happy detailing!
Old 09-24-2009, 07:09 PM   #16
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXgirl View Post
Yup just don't dust it ever, just wash it. And use a leaf blower and/or air compressor to dry it, that way you don't have to even touch it with a microfiber except maybe to get the occassional run, and your black will always look like this in direct sunlight:

happy detailing!
very nice, I love black. Just not all the work.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #17
LSXgirl

yeah that's why it gets washed very 2 weeks lol
Old 09-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #18
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Ca Car scratcher will NEVER touch MY paint! Dragging ANYTHING across dry dirty paint can scratch.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #19
rcracer78

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
Streaks and swirls are for undies and peppermint candies, not a beautiful car
FREAKIN' AWESOME......WURD!!!

It might be easily swirling because the paint is still fairly new and the clear coat has not completely hardened yet. Let your wash mitts, MF towels, CA dusters, etc. gently glide over the surface with no pressure. Let the bristles and fabric do the work.

-
rcracer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #20
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Problem is, when you drive her home and want to cover her, and she's dusty, you have to clean the dust before covering her!! Otherwise you WILL scratch it! So, not sure else how to handle that. I will use Z6 and the borderless towels, and go over her quickly, then cover her for the night. Unfortunately, she lives outside :(
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #21
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
I use my ca duster on my black 'maro with no problems and used the same duster when I had my black BMW as well with no problems
Old 09-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #22
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
If the duster is scratching your car, it's time to wash it. I think people are trying to "clean" their cars with the California Duster. Folks, its just to take off a light bit of dust and when you use it, you juse it gently. I've been using the California Car Duster for years, never had an issue.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #23
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Drives: 2010 SS/RS A6
Any time you push dirt around, you will get micro scratches - doesn't matter what you use. The detail sprays help, but you're still rubbing on a dirty car. I go with an indoor cover and try to keep the dust off - and it is friggin' dusty here in CA's central valley. Just posted a pic of mine with a new cover - perfect.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:28 PM   #24
FASST 1

Drives: Black 1SS
Same problem with my black SS. Used my california duster with only light dust and noticed one day numerous micro scratches no doubt from the duster. I was bummed!! I threw the damn thing away!
FASST 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:05 AM   #25
nickruta

Drives: 2010 black camaro
Have you guys who are getting scratches from the cal car duster, have you guys clayed and waxed your cars yet? How have you guys been getting the cars clean so far? also IMO the paint needs to cure for a couple months before Id use the duster.
nickruta is offline   Reply With Quote