Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 09-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Stripped down Z/28?

Just curious who would be interested in a Z/28 thats stripped down luxury wise? I am all for some luxury loss and weight savings but im probably in the minority on this one.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1970 Chevelle SS454, 2010 SSRS
To me the darn thing should have an LS7 in it with a track pack and weigh not an ounce over 3600. However they get that, by all means strip her.

<<<<<<<still don't understand why the wonderous Z06 motor that has handed the sports car world its ass the last few years is on the way out
Old 09-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
although i won't be buying for a few years, i'm definitely with you on this one Shnomac, totally agree. The Z/28 should be the automotive definition of badassery.
and i don't think you need all the fancy luxury materials and features to do that.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
Stic5

Drives: '05 Corvette Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
To me the darn thing should have an LS7 in it with a track pack and weigh not an ounce over 3600. However they get that, by all means strip her.

<<<<<<<still don't understand why the wonderous Z06 motor that has handed the sports car world its ass the last few years is on the way out

Because believe it or not, The LS7 is actually significantly more expensive to make than the LSA. It's a great engine but if you have a cheaper one with more power...

'05 Corvette Z51
Stic5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Wolverine

Drives: RX-8
I'm interested. I don't really need leather or a Bose stereo for example. However, I still want HID and HUD.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
Just curious who would be interested in a Z/28 thats stripped down luxury wise? I am all for some luxury loss and weight savings but im probably in the minority on this one.
I wouldn't buy one but I think it should be offered just like the old days. Cars nowadays are built solid and will still be heavy.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
YES YES YES!
Forget all that luxury crap, or offer 2 variants Z/28 1 (all-out performance) & Z/28 2 (performance and luxury).
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
Here is my Z/28 line up:
1Z/28: Just like the SS models
2Z/28: Same as above
3Z/28 1LE: Bare bones, no power seats/Recaro seats, no power windows, no power mirrors, rear seat deleate, no trunk liner, light weight hood & trunk, no carpet. HUD, minimal airbags. then of course, suspension, and brake upgrades.

How many people remember the 1LE package
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #9
Outlaw

Drives: 2SS M6, IBM w/ Silver Rally
Yeah a racing option would be cool. Totally stripped down and all about performance!

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Zabo
Bowtie to the brim

Drives: '10 R6P 2SS/RS M6, '96 S10 ZR2 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4lyfe View Post
Here is my Z/28 line up:
1Z/28: Just like the SS models
2Z/28: Same as above
3Z/28 1LE: Bare bones, no power seats/Recaro seats, no power windows, no power mirrors, rear seat deleate, no trunk liner, light weight hood & trunk, no carpet. HUD, minimal airbags. then of course, suspension, and brake upgrades.

How many people remember the 1LE package
It would work, if it were 1998. Nowadays every nail biting patsy would cry foul if this thing weren't packed to the gills with airbags and stuck inside a squishy camaro sized hamsterball. Friggin NHTSAA...
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #11
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Yeah, this will never happen. But i guess it never hurts to dream...
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
Yeah, this will never happen. But i guess it never hurts to dream...
Its okay dont be scairt.......
Old 09-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:

builidng engines by hand is expensive.....
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #14
ahart04
most bang for your buck

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM/BLK RALLYS
Quote:

for fun and curiosity, i took off traction and stabilitrack the other day and hit up this huge parking lot, sliding and turning, but mostly STICKING. now i know a parking lot is not a road course, but i have been schooled in road course racing and i don't think that the camaro underperforms.

to me saying it needs a 'track pack' is like saying it needs 'vtec'

a few hundred in aftermarket suspension pgrades will probably make your limits higher than you even dare to test.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Essentials for me (in order of my priority): leather, HIDs, power, HUD - I don't really want to get rid of many amenities, but in the name of saving weight, there are some I'd sacrifice, so long as there was also a cost benefit. I really wouldn't be too interested in adding too many more extras, like HUD or touch screen, but if we're going all out, and we'd only be loosing 20-30 pounds and a few hundred dollar, I won't complain.

Okay - I won't complain at all as long as Z28 comes back
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #16
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Okay - I won't complain at all as long as Z28 comes back
The only complaint I have is the 2 year wait........
Old 09-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #17
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Why wouldnt you want power windows? It costs gm more to make a crank up window now a days, and the power windows are actually lighter.

For a z28...hmmmm

Okay

Cloth non powered seats w/ratcheting up/down.
Live axle
no rs package...ie halos
1le option....radio delete hvac delete
1le suspension upgrade with or without hvac delete
thinner glass
lighter wheels
thinner carpet/ headliner/ no sound deadener
bigger radiator
no auto
oil cooler
only available in 3 color options.
no sunroof
CF hood and trunk
then whatever motor the general wants to put in it.

They should really hire me at GM.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #18
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
Why wouldnt you want power windows? It costs gm more to make a crank up window now a days, and the power windows are actually lighter.

For a z28...hmmmm

Okay

Cloth non powered seats w/ratcheting up/down.
Live axle
no rs package...ie halos
1le option....radio delete hvac delete
1le suspension upgrade with or without hvac delete
thinner glass
lighter wheels
thinner carpet/ headliner/ no sound deadener
bigger radiator
no auto
oil cooler
only available in 3 color options.
no sunroof
CF hood and trunk
then whatever motor the general wants to put in it.

They should really hire me at GM.

Thats actually a really awsome list. Im all for a stripped down Z/28, im kinda on the fences on whether id like it better as the Z/28 being only a stripped down performance car period (would keep the performance gurus at the top of the ladder instead of the rich suburb daddys) but then again there may be benefits to a 2Z/28 package as well, so eh its tough...but this is as close to a perfect description as ive heard yet nice goin man, i especially like the "no sound deadener" but i do think it should have a few more "Z/28 exclusive" colors
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Mmm... 2Z28... Grr...
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
Old 09-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #20
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
I've heard so many people bash the live rear axles on this forum I can't believe someone actually recommended it as an option. Although it won't happen I don't think it would be a bad idea. Read the sticky about the LSA engine that was posted today and you will see that the LSA weighs almost 150 lbs. more than the LS3. Given the current weight of the SS, GM should seriously think of ways to cut down on the weight before they have a 4100+ lb. Z28.
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #21
Vega

Quote:
I've heard so many people bash the live rear axles on this forum I can't believe someone actually recommended it as an option. Although it won't happen I don't think it would be a bad idea. Read the sticky about the LSA engine that was posted today and you will see that the LSA weighs almost 150 lbs. more than the LS3. Given the current weight of the SS, GM should seriously think of ways to cut down on the weight before they have a 4100+ lb. Z28.

Agreed, id like to see a Z/28 specific engine, smaller displacement, higher revving, lots of power, lots of durability, while shaving the weight, sounds awsome but i doubt GM would put the time and money into it just to put it into one trim level of one car =/

As for live rear axles idk, im still undecided, they definatly stand up to performance better but if the Z/28 is to be a bigger handling upgrade than performance upgrade then id think the live rear would be better, as long as they add a 3.73 rear, or a 3.98 or something with a sweeeet ratio like that

Last edited by Vega; 09-25-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: typos =/
Old 09-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Well - even though it's been stated the IRS will hold up to more than something like 600+ horse' (and I question if it would on the strip/track with sticky tires...) stock there's just no way it has the strength of an 8.8", 9", or 60. LOL. Can you imagine a Dana 60 on the back of one of these cars?! Shoot. We all complain about weight, and that thing weighs like 220+ pounds (like 60 more pounds than the 10-bolt in the 4th Gen - my numbers may be a little off, but don't bite my head off ) but that would hold up without a problem. I could swear I read SS comes with a 8.75" ring gear or something, so that ain't too bad at all
Old 09-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #23
Vega

true, my only concerns with the Z/28 would be keeping it (hopefully) lower priced than the GT500, cutting down on weight, and getting a rear end that will keep the tires glued to the ground...the GT500s BIG disadvantage is it has so much horsepower the rear end cant hold it all down, it tends to have lots of tire spin which in one Motortrend comparison made the SS Camaro allllmost match performance with it (margain of like 0.2 quarter mile)
Old 09-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #24
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Agreed, id like to see a Z/28 specific engine, smaller displacement, higher revving, lots of power, lots of durability, while shaving the weight, sounds awsome but i doubt GM would put the time and money into it just to put it into one trim level of one car =/

As for live rear axles idk, im still undecided, they definatly stand up to performance better but if the Z/28 is to be a bigger handling upgrade than performance upgrade then id think the live rear would be better, as long as they add a 3.73 rear, or a 3.98 or something with a sweeeet ratio like that

SAY WHAT?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #25
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Is it cast iron?