Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, launch discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS
 
Drives: Yellow 2SS, '06 Evo IX
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 102
Exclamation First Trip to 1/4 Strip HELP!!!!!!!

Hey Guys,
So I'm going to the Drag Strip tonight. I've never driven down the track before, and my car certainly has never been down it before. I live in Orlando, Fl, and avg temp this week has been 90 deg so I was wondering how much this would affect my quarter time. Also, I have an A6, so please, advice on launch modes, actually advice on anything relevant would be nice (even Don'ts).

P.S. My husband will be taking our Mitsubishi Evo 9 down the track as well, and with his mods, is running 12.1. A lot of his Evo acquaintances who may be there talk a lot of shit about my American car, so I hope that I can at least show one of them a thing or two, and that stock my car can beat their stock car by a lot . That being said, how hard is it for me to break into the 12 sec bracket?
__________________
2010 RS Rally Yellow A6 Camaro 2SS

The next person who assumes that my car belongs to my boyfriend/husband is gonna be on the receiving end of some hot hell! I'm a girl dammit, not a preschooler!


Can someone tell me why so many Domestic owners hate Imports? Esp Japanese?
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
rayhawk

 
rayhawk's Avatar
 
Drives: Trailblazer SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 891
Don't expect any 12 second times, be happy to get into the low 13's. Just focus on your 60 ft. times and have fun. Check out what this guy has managed, but remember he was running in better conditions:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40576

Oh, and I hope you have already done the 5/20 fuse pull on your car to reset the ECM. May not be necessary but it can't hurt. Check out this thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38964
__________________
Hooters, hooters, yum yum yum, hooters, hooters on a girl thats dumb.
-Al Bundy

07 2WD Trailblazer SS, LS1 E-fans, 4" FWI, pcmforless tune
72 VW Beetle, 2275cc, Dual 44 IDF's
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
matt55

 
matt55's Avatar
 
Drives: w/t
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS View Post
Hey Guys,
So I'm going to the Drag Strip tonight. I've never driven down the track before, and my car certainly has never been down it before. I live in Orlando, Fl, and avg temp this week has been 90 deg so I was wondering how much this would affect my quarter time. Also, I have an A6, so please, advice on launch modes, actually advice on anything relevant would be nice (even Don'ts).

P.S. My husband will be taking our Mitsubishi Evo 9 down the track as well, and with his mods, is running 12.1. A lot of his Evo acquaintances who may be there talk a lot of shit about my American car, so I hope that I can at least show one of them a thing or two, and that stock my car can beat their stock car by a lot . That being said, how hard is it for me to break into the 12 sec bracket?

Well they are just dumb .


Dont worry about showing anybody anything just have fun and try to better your times .
Stock for stock both cars can run low 13 sec cars , so ......

HEAT = bad , from what ive heard from a tunner when the air intake temps go above 88* the ecu pulls timing and your lose HP .

Your Hubby should know some of the trix's ie (cool off the car , less than a 1/4 tank of 93 , tire psi and so on ...)
__________________
matt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
600hp-lpe


 
600hp-lpe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS RJT MN6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 4,698
Don't forget the helmet! Snell 90 or 95 sticker on it..

turn T/C off.

have FUN!
__________________
2010 2SS/RS RJT 6SP
600 HP Lingenfelter package 526 RWHP 491 RWTRQ
Pedders Justice package with Z-bar and supercar coilovers
LPE ZR-1 twin disc Clutch, LPE rear w/3.73 gears
NHRA cert. 8.50 CM 10 point roll cage, Cobra racing Seats
Gforce 5 PT. Harnesses, MOMO steering wheel and pedals
285/35/19 Bridgestone RE-11 Tires, CCW 19X10 SP16A Wheels
315/30/18 Front, 335/30/18 Rear Hoosier tires, CCW C2K Wheels
Racing Brake Rotors, stainless lines, MT800 Brake pads
HD Rear Axles, Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Lower Control Arms
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
DTM
DTMphotography
 
DTM's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' Camaro SS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 586
Don't try and launch too hard!! I was running high 13's while launching really hard then I started doing the stoplight type launches and ran my 13.1
__________________
2010 2SS/RS: 12.77 @ 111mph (muffler delete) - SOLD
DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Timberline
 
Timberline's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS,LS3,M6,VR
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA-1
Posts: 259
The main thing is to have fun !
The 90deg heat with humidity will hurt your time. Don't go there expecting 12 second times. This is a great opportunity for you to work with your car and find the best launch technique for you and your car...experiment with it after all it is all in fun and enjoying the feel of the car pulling you down the track. Once you start really understanding your car I can gaurantee 12's are in your future with a few small mods.
__________________
2SS/RS, Victory Red, Black Leather, LS3, 6spd, Polished wheels - R6P -
Timberline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS
 
Drives: Yellow 2SS, '06 Evo IX
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 102
Thanks so much guys! I am leaving the house, and to be honest I'm really nervous! Wish me luck! I should be posting my (expectedly horrible) time slips later tonight! I <3 my camaro5'ers!
__________________
2010 RS Rally Yellow A6 Camaro 2SS

The next person who assumes that my car belongs to my boyfriend/husband is gonna be on the receiving end of some hot hell! I'm a girl dammit, not a preschooler!


Can someone tell me why so many Domestic owners hate Imports? Esp Japanese?
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 6,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS View Post
Thanks so much guys! I am leaving the house, and to be honest I'm really nervous! Wish me luck! I should be posting my (expectedly horrible) time slips later tonight! I <3 my camaro5'ers!
Damn. If I wasn't so busy, I'd come over and watch you run.

At first, don't worry about the lights or your takeoff. Just pre-stage, stage and then mash the throttle. Get used to how the car feels going down the track. Bring a Snell/DOT approved helmet if possible.

Most of all enjoy yourself !!
__________________
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
Damage
 
Damage's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS CIM White Rallys
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 8
GOOD LUCK
Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:03 AM   #10
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS
 
Drives: Yellow 2SS, '06 Evo IX
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 102
Thumbs down

Thanks for the support guys. Sad to say, I got 2 runs in, and was consistent at 14.7 :( First run I had it in Competitive Mode, and just stomped on the gas, second run I left it regular and stalled it as much as it would go. Both times I left it in S mode, and let the car do the shifting. I really feel confused. I'm taking it to the 1/8th on Sat night (tonight) to try out diff techniques. Don'tt quite know what I can do different.
__________________
2010 RS Rally Yellow A6 Camaro 2SS

The next person who assumes that my car belongs to my boyfriend/husband is gonna be on the receiving end of some hot hell! I'm a girl dammit, not a preschooler!


Can someone tell me why so many Domestic owners hate Imports? Esp Japanese?
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:09 AM   #11
jayson71
 
Drives: 2010 Victory Red Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sacramento California
Posts: 284
Stick with it, you will get it down. Props for even getting out there. My wife is too chicken to drive the track.
jayson71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:12 AM   #12
1320junkie
Account Suspended
 
Drives: The Imperial Army
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Darkside
Posts: 15,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS View Post
Thanks for the support guys. Sad to say, I got 2 runs in, and was consistent at 14.7 :( First run I had it in Competitive Mode, and just stomped on the gas, second run I left it regular and stalled it as much as it would go. Both times I left it in S mode, and let the car do the shifting. I really feel confused. I'm taking it to the 1/8th on Sat night (tonight) to try out diff techniques. Don'tt quite know what I can do different.
Just keep trying..work on your launches...felt good going down the 1320 didn't it? Congrats
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #13
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS
 
Drives: Yellow 2SS, '06 Evo IX
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 102
Red face

Thanks Junkie, You guys are awesome. Really. This forum really makes me enjoy and appreciate my car much more than I would have otherwise.

I really don't get what I can do differently though. I'm truly lost :( The thing that has been suggested to me most is that my car still hasn't broken in yet, but really I know on the streets it's pretty quick. It was sooo lazy off the line...:(. I think I should point out though, that when I do run my car hard for a bit (on the street) it feels way peppier than it did tonight. I'm about ready to bust out crying. I'm gonna have both my dad and hubby run it down the 1/8th later just to make sure it's not just me... if it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
Just keep trying..work on your launches...felt good going down the 1320 didn't it? Congrats
__________________
2010 RS Rally Yellow A6 Camaro 2SS

The next person who assumes that my car belongs to my boyfriend/husband is gonna be on the receiving end of some hot hell! I'm a girl dammit, not a preschooler!


Can someone tell me why so many Domestic owners hate Imports? Esp Japanese?
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #14
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS
 
Drives: Yellow 2SS, '06 Evo IX
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 102
Red face

Thx jayson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson71 View Post
Stick with it, you will get it down. Props for even getting out there. My wife is too chicken to drive the track.
__________________
2010 RS Rally Yellow A6 Camaro 2SS

The next person who assumes that my car belongs to my boyfriend/husband is gonna be on the receiving end of some hot hell! I'm a girl dammit, not a preschooler!


Can someone tell me why so many Domestic owners hate Imports? Esp Japanese?
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:23 AM   #15
1320junkie
Account Suspended
 
Drives: The Imperial Army
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Darkside
Posts: 15,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS View Post
Thanks Junkie, You guys are awesome. Really. This forum really makes me enjoy and appreciate my car much more than I would have otherwise.

I really don't get what I can do differently though. I'm truly lost :( The thing that has been suggested to me most is that my car still hasn't broken in yet, but really I know on the streets it's pretty quick. It was sooo lazy off the line...:(. I think I should point out though, that when I do run my car hard for a bit (on the street) it feels way peppier than it did tonight. I'm about ready to bust out crying. I'm gonna have both my dad and hubby run it down the 1/8th later just to make sure it's not just me... if it is...
Tell us how do you leave the line..at what RPM do you preload your car?
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:27 AM   #16
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS
 
Drives: Yellow 2SS, '06 Evo IX
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 102
Question

Preload, as in stalling? I put my foot all the way down on the gas, and other foot all the way on the brake. It only brings it up to like 1250RPM. Then I just release the brake all at once. That was for run #2. I spun tires a bit there.

Run #1 was just foot flat on the gas at the 3rd light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
Tell us how do you leave the line..at what RPM do you preload your car?
__________________
2010 RS Rally Yellow A6 Camaro 2SS

The next person who assumes that my car belongs to my boyfriend/husband is gonna be on the receiving end of some hot hell! I'm a girl dammit, not a preschooler!


Can someone tell me why so many Domestic owners hate Imports? Esp Japanese?
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:06 AM   #17
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Blown beast.
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,916
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I ran low 13s consistantly with the TC ON and foot on brake and punching it. 14.6 is not good at all for an automatic. Yes there are tricks and a 'feel' to it but not to the tune of 1.5 seconds different. Maybe half a second.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:08 AM   #18
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Blown beast.
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,916
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS View Post
I put my foot all the way down on the gas, and other foot all the way on the brake. It only brings it up to like 1250RPM. Then I just release the brake all at once. That was for run #2. I spun tires a bit there.

Run #1 was just foot flat on the gas at the 3rd light.
This should make your tires spin as you sit there if TC is off.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:10 AM   #19
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS
 
Drives: Yellow 2SS, '06 Evo IX
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 102
I left my TC on for the stalling. I am heartbroken really. I agree that 1.5secs is wayyyyyyyyy off. I did do the fuse pull a while ago, as you know PQ. DO you think i could've gotten bad gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
This should make your tires spin as you sit there if TC is off.
__________________
2010 RS Rally Yellow A6 Camaro 2SS

The next person who assumes that my car belongs to my boyfriend/husband is gonna be on the receiving end of some hot hell! I'm a girl dammit, not a preschooler!


Can someone tell me why so many Domestic owners hate Imports? Esp Japanese?
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:15 AM   #20
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Blown beast.
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,916
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS View Post
I left my TC on for the stalling. I am heartbroken really. I agree that 1.5secs is wayyyyyyyyy off. I did do the fuse pull a while ago, as you know PQ. DO you think i could've gotten bad gas?
It's possible. Not sure. But I know if you have one foot on the brake and one just off the gas, and punch the gas as you lift off the brake, you should get MUCH better than 14.7, that's the time I was getting before my fuse pull. It's an automatic. You're not doing anything wrong enough to make that big of a difference. Somethings wrong and it sounds like it's firing on the low grade fuel table.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:19 AM   #21
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS
 
Drives: Yellow 2SS, '06 Evo IX
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
It's possible. Not sure. But I know if you have one foot on the brake and one just off the gas, and punch the gas as you lift off the brake, you should get MUCH better than 14.7, that's the time I was getting before my fuse pull. It's an automatic. You're not doing anything wrong enough to make that big of a difference. Somethings wrong and it sounds like it's firing on the low grade fuel table.
Ok, I'm gonna do the fuse pull again today, and then compare my 1/8 time from last night to whatever I run today. What traction mode did you use? Regular TC on or Comp Mode?
__________________
2010 RS Rally Yellow A6 Camaro 2SS

The next person who assumes that my car belongs to my boyfriend/husband is gonna be on the receiving end of some hot hell! I'm a girl dammit, not a preschooler!


Can someone tell me why so many Domestic owners hate Imports? Esp Japanese?
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:26 AM   #22
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Blown beast.
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,916
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS View Post
Ok, I'm gonna do the fuse pull again today, and then compare my 1/8 time from last night to whatever I run today. What traction mode did you use? Regular TC on or Comp Mode?
My best times were with my TC on. I changed nothing and even kept it in regular 'D'

The times were only like .03 better, but certainly not slower.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:33 AM   #23
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Blown beast.
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,916
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I'm hittin the hay. Let me know how you do.
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:34 AM   #24
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS
 
Drives: Yellow 2SS, '06 Evo IX
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 102
Thanks PQ. Will keep u posted! I just feel a tad bit better knowing that u ram a 14.7 when your fuel timing table was messed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
My best times were with my TC on. I changed nothing and even kept it in regular 'D'

The times were only like .03 better, but certainly not slower.
__________________
2010 RS Rally Yellow A6 Camaro 2SS

The next person who assumes that my car belongs to my boyfriend/husband is gonna be on the receiving end of some hot hell! I'm a girl dammit, not a preschooler!


Can someone tell me why so many Domestic owners hate Imports? Esp Japanese?
ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:36 AM   #25
PQ
Booooosted.
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Blown beast.
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,916
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisChicksGotAYellow2SS View Post
Thanks PQ. Will keep u posted! I just feel a tad bit better knowing that u ram a 14.7 when your fuel timing table was messed up
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st road trip ritchie57 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 6 11-13-2009 06:58 AM
Trip Odometer Problem fieldgoal00 Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 4 08-25-2009 12:45 PM
First field trip in Camaro SS 6 spd Man.....Info. Rob53 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 14 07-21-2009 05:47 PM
Nashville Superspeedway 1/4mi strip zebra USA - Southeast 9 04-26-2009 02:04 PM
REAL 1/4 mile run at the strip bobby35ny 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 3 04-23-2009 11:49 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.