Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #29
truth411

 
Drives: police interceptor
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Austin, tx
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1STCAMAR0 View Post
Seeing "what might be expected" in the Z28 is making me think twice about ordering the SS. I just wonder what the price tag will end up being after its' all said and done.
I am expecting a base price of 50k, but it does not matter when one considers dealer markups the z28 will most likely have up to 60k! I hope I am wrong.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #30
Muscle Master
SS Lightning
 
Muscle Master's Avatar
 
Drives: An SRT8
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cinnaminson, NJ
Posts: 2,285
I wonder what Chrysler/Fiat is going to do to the 6.4 Hemi
__________________

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #31
truth411

 
Drives: police interceptor
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Austin, tx
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
I wonder what Chrysler/Fiat is going to do to the 6.4 Hemi
I don't want too get off topic, but by my understanding that was just a rumor.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:20 PM   #32
Muscle Master
SS Lightning
 
Muscle Master's Avatar
 
Drives: An SRT8
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cinnaminson, NJ
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
I don't want too get off topic, but by my understanding that was just a rumor.
It's not ... there have been confirmed reports that its still in development, and there's going to be plum crazy next year too
__________________

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #33
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775
 
FINALLYSATISFIED's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
I am expecting a base price of 50k, but it does not matter when one considers dealer markups the z28 will most likely have up to 60k! I hope I am wrong.
I hope your wrong too!
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #34
alrox
 
Drives: corvette
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
Since Chevy will start building the C7 vette in 2012, I highly doubt it will have a base price of 48k. JMHO.
Base 2009 Corvettes are going for $39k right now. This is lower than what they were going for in 2007.

Very, very few people are buying high end items right now, but the media is selling you another story.

I'll believe in a C7 only when I see it. 2 years is a lot of time for this company to lose billions more.
alrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #35
Vega
 
Vega's Avatar
 
Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 589
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
WOW, okay i was alwaysin favor of the LS7 over the LSA in Z/28s but i think this thread just converted me haha, first of all "no whine" thaaank god! I cant STAND supercharger whine, it was one of my biggest urkes against this engine and its good to know its taken care of, also its tested as more durable than the LS9 (which is strange cause LS9 has all forged internals and LSA doesnt) but its still good to know the supercharger doesnt cause any lack of durability...i think im all for this engine now, aanndd may we see some horsepower improvements by the time the Z/28 hits dealerships? cam and heads, 600hp maybe? =D
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #36
truth411

 
Drives: police interceptor
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Austin, tx
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrox View Post
Base 2009 Corvettes are going for $39k right now. This is lower than what they were going for in 2007.

Very, very few people are buying high end items right now, but the media is selling you another story.

I'll believe in a C7 only when I see it. 2 years is a lot of time for this company to lose billions more.
That 39k is not MSRP, The MSRP of the C7 will be Higher than the C6. Also I have to correct your statement, very few people are buy cars right now period, both high-end and cheap cars are selling at half the rate they used to. That makes the market more competitive. By my understanding for an example BMW's M division has had one of there best sales year las year despite the low sales of the auto industry. Partially that is because people who have money will always buy niche cars. The people who are in the market to buy 2 seater high performance cars spend money on the cars they want (porsche knows this). The C7 will go up in MSRP and most likely offer more HP, Better interior and performance than the C6. We shall see.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #37
2010-1SS-IBM

 
Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
That 39k is not MSRP, The MSRP of the C7 will be Higher than the C6. Also I have to correct your statement, very few people are buy cars right now period, both high-end and cheap cars are selling at half the rate they used to. That makes the market more competitive. By my understanding for an example BMW's M division has had one of there best sales year las year despite the low sales of the auto industry. Partially that is because people who have money will always buy niche cars. The people who are in the market to buy 2 seater high performance cars spend money on the cars they want (porsche knows this). The C7 will go up in MSRP and most likely offer more HP, Better interior and performance than the C6. We shall see.
The Camaro is selling very well.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #38
nfamous209
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Join Date: May 2008
Location: patterson, ca
Posts: 413
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
WOW, okay i was alwaysin favor of the LS7 over the LSA in Z/28s but i think this thread just converted me haha, first of all "no whine" thaaank god! I cant STAND supercharger whine, it was one of my biggest urkes against this engine and its good to know its taken care of, also its tested as more durable than the LS9 (which is strange cause LS9 has all forged internals and LSA doesnt) but its still good to know the supercharger doesnt cause any lack of durability...i think im all for this engine now, aanndd may we see some horsepower improvements by the time the Z/28 hits dealerships? cam and heads, 600hp maybe? =D
how can u not like the whine of a positive displacement supercharger. its just intoxicating. it rocks.

oh yeah first thing would be headers, catback, and whipple 2.9 or 3.4 swap
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #39
Vega
 
Vega's Avatar
 
Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 589
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
I just dont get into it, i preffer the sound of a hearty V8 roar, hearing that V8 and then an underlying vaccuumish high pitched thing just bugs me =/

But actually i just did some digging and apparently the LS7 concept camaro at SEMA had a "slightly modified 586hp engine" so i was right, it is easy to pump beyond the LSA's capacity on all motor (of course one could make the argument that the LSA could easily be pumped beyond THAT but then it just becomes mud-slinging) i think after hearing this news im back in favor of a slightly modified LS7 powering the Camaro, people can say "its been announced, its phasing out" and all that but by now we hould know announcements mean nothing in the world of supply and demand haha, especially when it comes to Camaros...just my oppinion but i would LOVE to be able to say "yeah my Z/28's got the stock 427" and i'd LOVE to hear "427 Camaro re-takes the throne from supercharged shelby" those three numbers just have such a legendary aura around them, its quite amazing ^_^
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:36 AM   #40
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!
 
GM4lyfe's Avatar
 
Drives: A Car
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Hypereutectics are better now, I believe. They still aren't as good as forged slugs in the LS9, but they're better than the past.
Thats correct, with oil pistion squirters, and lower compression will help out those hyperutectic pistions as well. There are people out there with stock bottom end LS1/2 with 600-700hp at the crank with FI. Are they on barrowed time who knows but alot of them are still chugging along, a good tuner allways help too.



Dragoneye thanks for taking the time to post all that up. I found alot of that info on GM sites also if you want to post pictures of the LSA they can be found here: http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...ual/09lsa.html
__________________
2004 GTO Quicksilver
2009 G8 Liquid Red
2005 CTS-V Black Raven
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:26 AM   #41
Mod4SS
Resident Expert
 
Mod4SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Supercharged 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Alabama
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matster View Post
Seriously?, 48K, that just pisses me off even more, here are the starting prices in Canada, and 66K for the coupe gets you and engine and tires.
You're forgetting about the exchange rate... the Canadian Dollar is worth less than the US Dollar, thus, the prices in Canada will be more.
__________________
Mod4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #42
Mr. Brownstone
 
Mr. Brownstone's Avatar
 
Drives: "SINISTER"
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: KnoxVegas, TN
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
I just dont get into it, i preffer the sound of a hearty V8 roar, hearing that V8 and then an underlying vaccuumish high pitched thing just bugs me =/

But actually i just did some digging and apparently the LS7 concept camaro at SEMA had a "slightly modified 586hp engine" so i was right, it is easy to pump beyond the LSA's capacity on all motor (of course one could make the argument that the LSA could easily be pumped beyond THAT but then it just becomes mud-slinging) i think after hearing this news im back in favor of a slightly modified LS7 powering the Camaro, people can say "its been announced, its phasing out" and all that but by now we hould know announcements mean nothing in the world of supply and demand haha, especially when it comes to Camaros...just my oppinion but i would LOVE to be able to say "yeah my Z/28's got the stock 427" and i'd LOVE to hear "427 Camaro re-takes the throne from supercharged shelby" those three numbers just have such a legendary aura around them, its quite amazing ^_^


Vega, I agree with you 100% about the mystique of the 427 and the Camaro. I also think GM did it backwards w/ making the Z28 the so called "heavy hitter" w/ the larger engine unlike the Z28's of yore with their high revving little 302's. The nimble little, high revving, Trans-Am racer was the Z28 and the heavy hitting Brutes were the SS396's and the COPO 427's not limited to but including Don Yenko's Bad boys and Fred Gibb's ZL-1's.

I guess Now days its all about marketing and name recognition. Most people ( even the non-motorheads ) know what a Z28 is and they think "Z28...thats gotta be fast!!! but you tell them ZL-1 and they stand there scratching their heads......they haven't got a clue.

So I guess GM is smart to badge their GT500 Killer as the Z28 against some of our wishes.
Mr. Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does the v6 have enough power? cstproductions Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 305 08-29-2012 09:27 PM
Camaro Z28 (HP Edition) FACTS: radz28 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 44 01-29-2011 10:05 PM
v6 to supercharged LS9 v8 upgrade Alan67 Forced Induction - V8 12 06-01-2010 09:36 PM
Inside Information Regarding SS' future -- supercharged V8 jeremy02 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 26 07-13-2009 12:53 PM
Who's holding out for the Supercharged LSA? GTAHVIT Forced Induction - V8 163 08-11-2008 05:40 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.