Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #276
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Lol well as you know I'm running your bushings and coilovers so you've been part of this thread indirectly anyways but you're always welcome to post in here anytime.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #277
Ject
aka Patrick
 
Ject's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Derby Kansas
Posts: 3,099
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
I need to go on a diet bad lol...
__________________
Current Modifications: Your average Bolt-ons & Suspension Upgrades
GForce Engineering: 9" Rear End, Strange Pro Iron Case w/Moser Nodular 3.70:1 Detroit locker, 3.5" Solid Drive Shaft
Ject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #278
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car
 
Li0nel1234's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 770
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
Firebird raceway looks like a blasty blast... I have to get in on another HPDE day...
__________________
Performance: ARH 2"/"3 headers + ARH 3" HF catback system, SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, motul RBF 600 fluid, K&N CAI (w/custom insulation), plug wires, air scoop, Hurst STS, Pedders Track II suspension, 18x10 wheels, 295/45/18 Nitto NT05s
Looks: powder coated iom calipers, LED foglights w/ always on harness, custom painted bowties, window tint, smoke tinted tail lights etc, oem gfx w/ custom outlets, painted taillight bezels, all weather trunk mat
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #279
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li0nel1234 View Post
Firebird raceway looks like a blasty blast... I have to get in on another HPDE day...
I'm going to Willow Springs Raceway the 24th. I'll be on the big track and I'll post a video of that too.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #280
Nathan Moreno


 
Nathan Moreno's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,014
Just went through the whole thread again. Awesome documentation . Doc, how are you liking your new clutch so far?
Nathan Moreno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #281
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Just went through the whole thread again. Awesome documentation . Doc, how are you liking your new clutch so far?
Love it. It does take a little more care getting going from a dead stop because it's so much lighter than stock but once you're moving it's fantastic. Fast, smooth, precise. Throttle blips are instantaneous and it revs quick under load. Can't wait to see how it does on the track.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #282
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,583
Went to Willow Springs Raceway last Saturday and ran on Big Willow, the main track. Had a good time but that track is fast and tricky; even the advanced drivers were spinning out. Here's a couple of shots I took with my iphone when I first arrived at around 7:00 a.m.; I'll have a video or two once I get the footage into my computer and edited.

Here it is early just after the sun came up; the weather was clear but cold. I think it was about 40 degrees when I took these. I was the only Camaro out there; it was mostly Japanese and German cars. As you can see I paddocked next to a Ferrari who's owner was a really nice guy.

Name:  IMG_0804.JPG
Views: 908
Size:  304.5 KB

The track goes up the side of a hill and makes for some very tricky corners. It doesn't look like much of an elevation change from here but it's a pretty tight and steep climb up and down those corners you see in the distance.

Name:  IMG_0806.JPG
Views: 899
Size:  244.2 KB

At any rate if the videos turned out okay you'll get to see it.

This was the first time I've had the car on the track since getting the cam and clutch upgrades and the car is VERY responsive at speed. Took me a bit to get used to the increase in power and I never did really feel like I got myself dialed into it properly. I managed to go off the track in turn 9 heading onto the main straight (no damage done except to my pride lol) and quickly discovered you do NOT mash the gas pedal suddenly with this new power; too much too quick. I need to practice better throttle control, and preferably on a flat track. I need to see if Auto Speedway in Fontana is running anything the next few months.

I got to ride around with one of the instructors for some fast laps and he spent half the time trying to keep the back end from coming around; and this was a guy who knew the track and his car like the back of his hand. It's definitely a challenging track.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #283
ALLTRBO
 
ALLTRBO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 1SS M6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 718
You aren't worried about a couple of elevation changes in your Blue Angel, are you?

That track looks like a lot of fun even if it's a lot of work.
__________________
ALLTRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #284
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLTRBO View Post
You aren't worried about a couple of elevation changes in your Blue Angel, are you?

That track looks like a lot of fun even if it's a lot of work.
Lol actually I was a bit nervous about damaging my car. In those areas where you can easily spin off you'd very likely tear things up underneath pretty good. One guy had to have the tow truck come out to take him away. Considering how far away from everything the track is, that was one expensive tow.

It would be a fun track if you have confidence in your ability to control your car. I never quite got to that point with the increase in power it now has. I need to gain that confidence on a track where I won't worry about rolling it or tearing the underside up. I realized when I was out there that I've put so much thought and effort into this car that I just didn't want to throw it around with abandon the way I used to on my older cars. I've gotten really attached to this Camaro and I'm just not interested in wrecking it.

I realize that doesn't sound very macho but being older and wiser will do that to you lol.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #285
ALLTRBO
 
ALLTRBO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 1SS M6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 718
Yeah that does sound pretty nerve wracking, I'm with you on the want to preserve your efforts put into that beautiful car.
Despite that worry, there is something very satisfying about building a car that you drive every day and can still go out onto the track with and reliably and consistently kick some butt, all while looking very, very good. Some people don't realize how much work and planning it takes to pull all of that off well.
I think yours will always be one of my favorites for exactly that reason.

Have you thought about tuning out just a tiny bit of initial throttle bite to help control the power?
ALLTRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:24 AM   #286
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLTRBO View Post
Yeah that does sound pretty nerve wracking, I'm with you on the want to preserve your efforts put into that beautiful car.
Despite that worry, there is something very satisfying about building a car that you drive every day and can still go out onto the track with and reliably and consistently kick some butt, all while looking very, very good. Some people don't realize how much work and planning it takes to pull all of that off well.
I think yours will always be one of my favorites for exactly that reason.

Have you thought about tuning out just a tiny bit of initial throttle bite to help control the power?
Thank you. It was very satisfying to be sitting in the staging area and hearing the track workers talking about my car and how beautiful it was. They said "we don't see those out here very often" so I guess Camaros are a rarity there.

I've almost gotten the car to the point where it's totally comfortable on the street; even with the increased power and cam. The sound level is perfect, the handling and braking are amazing, and I think I just figured out the last piece I need to smooth out the vibrations that have been added due to the cam and stiffer Pfadt engine mounts. A Fluidampr harmonic balancer will do the trick I believe so that will be my next hardware mod.

I was also very pleased with it's "trip" performance. I had to get up at 4:00 in the morning to get ready for the 2 hour drive up there and the car just purred the whole way up there. I drove the 2 hours up there, raced and drove the 2 hours back at the end of the day on slightly LESS than a full tank of gas for the whole day! I actually got as big a kick out of that as anything else lol. I still had an 1/8 of a tank left when I got home.

"Have you thought about tuning out just a tiny bit of initial throttle bite to help control the power?"

Believe it or not I was actually thinking about that very thing when driving home; having my tuner adjust the throttle response so it's not quite so touchy. It now accelerates so quickly it's actually difficult to go slow which was making me paranoid on those tricky corners. I'm going to see if he can lower the sensitivity of the gas pedal so it will give me a greater range of control. If he can do that so I have a longer range of pedal travel before it gives me so much power then this car is going to become very addicting to drive on the track. If the Fluidampr can smooth out the vibrations...then I'm done. Well...except for maybe that new splitter and side skirts from the newly announced 1LE. THEN I'm uh....done....with mods...yeah...that's it.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #287
CamaroFemme

 
CamaroFemme's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,897
I have said this before but I'll say it again: Doc's is the build thread that I repeatedly find myself coming back to for ideas. I do this for a few builds, but this one is my default "Hmmm, what's this guy doin' now?" thread.

Doc, about what would you say you've spent now on Blue Angel? You seem so pleased with it, and it is apparently nearly perfect for you, and I'm not sure you can put a price on that kind of satisfaction, but your humble followers are curious.
__________________
--
My boyfriend don't mind it.
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #288
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,583
Thank you for the kind words Femme. I haven't actually added up all the mods but I'm guessing I'm in ZL1 territory now. But a large (too large probably) chunk of that were the wheels. There were so few choices on much of this in the early days of this generation car that prices were high. And now GM comes out with the ZL1 and 1LE which duplicates and exceeds in areas what took me a couple of years to piece together.

Prices have also come down for some things. You could probably duplicate what I've done with different wheels (minus the paint mod) for about $20k on top of the price of the car. Although after reading the specs of the 1LE I would start with that car now.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #289
blackswan

 
blackswan's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nearby
Posts: 1,196
What a great build! You've actually inspired me to do some of this to my ride as well. I've been looking to do a black and yellow theme, ala LiveSTRONG and this is just the type of touches I was thinking. Bravo to you sir!
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #290
blackswan

 
blackswan's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nearby
Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Nothing short of getting hit by a big rig would threaten the integrity of this driveshaft. If that happens the condition of the driveshaft is the least of your problems.

It's tucked up and out of the way and the exhaust pipes below it provide protection too. You'd have to be running brutal amounts of horsepower, in excess of 1000 hp before you'd get close to causing this to break and by that time I suspect you'd have broken gears or joints first already.

For daily driving on the street this shaft is actually overkill but it's great!
Is the shaft all carbon, or carbon over metal? Your build is very similar to my weight obsession with my road bike, replacing many parts for weight shavings, etc. Carbon is luxurious too, really deadens vibrations, but if you scratch the outer surface, it can form fissures and then "shatter" (it cracks and then the fiber are exposed, giving the illusion of shattering).
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #291
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
What a great build! You've actually inspired me to do some of this to my ride as well. I've been looking to do a black and yellow theme, ala LiveSTRONG and this is just the type of touches I was thinking. Bravo to you sir!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
Is the shaft all carbon, or carbon over metal? Your build is very similar to my weight obsession with my road bike, replacing many parts for weight shavings, etc. Carbon is luxurious too, really deadens vibrations, but if you scratch the outer surface, it can form fissures and then "shatter" (it cracks and then the fiber are exposed, giving the illusion of shattering).
The tube is all carbon fiber, the ends are aluminum. The tube has a sealed coating on the outside; looks almost like a clear-coat. I have to say, having driven both on this car, aluminum and CF, that I prefer the CF. It is a tad quieter and has a slightly crisper feel when accelerating. After driving with the aluminum one for 8 months I noticed it immediately when switching to the CF shaft.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #292
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 6,057
I am sure the challenge of figuring it all out makes it worth it when you can feel it while flying around the track...nice !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Thank you for the kind words Femme. I haven't actually added up all the mods but I'm guessing I'm in ZL1 territory now. But a large (too large probably) chunk of that were the wheels. There were so few choices on much of this in the early days of this generation car that prices were high. And now GM comes out with the ZL1 and 1LE which duplicates and exceeds in areas what took me a couple of years to piece together.

Prices have also come down for some things. You could probably duplicate what I've done with different wheels (minus the paint mod) for about $20k on top of the price of the car. Although after reading the specs of the 1LE I would start with that car now.
__________________
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #293
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
I am sure the challenge of figuring it all out makes it worth it when you can feel it while flying around the track...nice !!
It has definitely been a satisfying experience that is true. It was also gratifying to note how many of the changes I've made were basically the same ones done by Chevy engineers in the ZL1. My car doesn't quite track like the uber-tech magnetic suspension the ZL1 has but I bet my car could hold its own against a factory Z/28.

I never get tired of driving it. I think this car is one of the best things GM has done....ever.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #294
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,312
Awesome information. After your post in the Z28 threads I've come back and reread the entire thread again. I looked all through and did not see any written numbers on the weight savings from the catback exhaust change. Do you have that available? Also have you looked into possible weight savings from front seat changes?

Thanks.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #295
Fraxum


 
Fraxum's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South NJ
Posts: 3,139
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Awesome information. After your post in the Z28 threads I've come back and reread the entire thread again. I looked all through and did not see any written numbers on the weight savings from the catback exhaust change. Do you have that available? Also have you looked into possible weight savings from front seat changes?

Thanks.
Doc's car was my vote for closest car to the Z28 ideal by way of the build it yourself method. But that thread never went anywhere.

This car is first class. Respect.
__________________
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #296
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Awesome information. After your post in the Z28 threads I've come back and reread the entire thread again. I looked all through and did not see any written numbers on the weight savings from the catback exhaust change. Do you have that available? Also have you looked into possible weight savings from front seat changes?

Thanks.
Unfortunately the exhaust was the first mod I did way back when. I didn't get a chance to weigh the stock system but I believe (from what others have said) that it weighs about 70 lbs. I upgraded to 3" stainless pipes when I did the upgrade so the actual weight savings was probably only around 20 lbs. I'm not planning any other mods that require dropping the exhaust pipes so unless I get really bored one day and want to drop them just to see what they weigh, I can't give you an exact number.

I've considered the weight savings of custom seats but there really isn't that much there to save unless I get really serious about racing and sacrifice street comfort for all-out race seats. I'm not planning on that right now but in the future... who knows. I keep thinking I'm "done" modding this car then I see something else I hadn't thought of.... I don't have "mod-itis" as bad as some do on this forum but I'm getting pretty close lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Doc's car was my vote for closest car to the Z28 ideal by way of the build it yourself method. But that thread never went anywhere.

This car is first class. Respect.
Thank you sir!
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #297
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,583
Here's my current mod list:

Name:  Screen shot 2012-04-16 at 9.22.48 PM.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  215.0 KB
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #298
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y
 
SUX2BU's Avatar
 
Drives: FAST
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sachse TX (DFW)
Posts: 5,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Unfortunately the exhaust was the first mod I did way back when. I didn't get a chance to weigh the stock system but I believe (from what others have said) that it weighs about 70 lbs. I upgraded to 3" stainless pipes when I did the upgrade so the actual weight savings was probably only around 20 lbs. I'm not planning any other mods that require dropping the exhaust pipes so unless I get really bored one day and want to drop them just to see what they weigh, I can't give you an exact number.

I've considered the weight savings of custom seats but there really isn't that much there to save unless I get really serious about racing and sacrifice street comfort for all-out race seats. I'm not planning on that right now but in the future... who knows. I keep thinking I'm "done" modding this car then I see something else I hadn't thought of.... I don't have "mod-itis" as bad as some do on this forum but I'm getting pretty close lol.



Thank you sir!
I don't remember if you are running cats or not but here is what my stainless 1 7/8" headers and complete stainless off road 3" exhaust weighed compared to stock.

Quote:
passenger manifold/cat 28.3
driver side manifold/cat 28.3
Catback and mid pipes 71.4
Total: 128


Passenger header 15.2
Driver side header 15.5
off road x pipe 24.2
muffler section 16.2
muffler section 16.2

total: 87.3

difference 40.7 lbs
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #299
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Unfortunately the exhaust was the first mod I did way back when. I didn't get a chance to weigh the stock system but I believe (from what others have said) that it weighs about 70 lbs. I upgraded to 3" stainless pipes when I did the upgrade so the actual weight savings was probably only around 20 lbs. I'm not planning any other mods that require dropping the exhaust pipes so unless I get really bored one day and want to drop them just to see what they weigh, I can't give you an exact number.

I've considered the weight savings of custom seats but there really isn't that much there to save unless I get really serious about racing and sacrifice street comfort for all-out race seats. I'm not planning on that right now but in the future... who knows. I keep thinking I'm "done" modding this car then I see something else I hadn't thought of.... I don't have "mod-itis" as bad as some do on this forum but I'm getting pretty close lol.



Thank you sir!
Thanks again. And know we appreciate the education and the hard work and time involved.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #300
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Doc's car was my vote for closest car to the Z28 ideal by way of the build it yourself method. But that thread never went anywhere.

This car is first class. Respect.
Much agreed!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
camaro of the week

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jetstream blue vs. aqua blue rayhawk Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 45 05-31-2013 10:33 PM
[COTW: 9/6/10]: maxpower5's Imperial Blue L99 maxpower5 Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 82 11-11-2010 01:51 PM
Raise our voices!! We need a 2nd Blue in 2011!! SS22 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 51 01-04-2010 11:14 PM
Pic request: Imperial Blue Metallic / Aqua Blue Metallic JameSS Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 38 11-08-2009 04:20 PM
Will there be anything Blue for the interior??? JeanBond21 Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 4 09-30-2008 02:53 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.