Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #301
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Doc's car was my vote for closest car to the Z28 ideal by way of the build it yourself method. But that thread never went anywhere.

This car is first class. Respect.
Much agreed!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #302
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
I don't remember if you are running cats or not but here is what my stainless 1 7/8" headers and complete stainless off road 3" exhaust weighed compared to stock.
Yeah I do have the high-flow cats which probably weigh about 10 lbs each so based on your numbers that would put me at about 107 lbs which is about 20 lbs lighter so I had a pretty close guess. Thanks for posting this!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #303
Vette TPI

Drives: 1987 Corvette TPI
Gives me ideas to try and drop this car down to 3000 flat or a couple pounds less. Thank you Doc! I've been reading to catch up and this thread is pretty amazing!!

EDIT- Without changing the iron to aluminum block idea, I could get my car to 3060ish.

Last edited by Vette TPI; 04-18-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Vette TPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #304
cody.freeman1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Hey Doc, have you ever found/looked into good lightweight racing seats?

Performance:
2" Stainless Works Headers / Cat Delete / 3" Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback
SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley
Cold Air Inductions Intake
ADM Scoop
VMAX Ported Throttle Body
DSS 1 Piece Aluminum Driveshaft
RX Oil Catch Can
RX PCV Breather
JRE 91 Octane Tuned
cody.freeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #305
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette TPI View Post
Gives me ideas to try and drop this car down to 3000 flat or a couple pounds less. Thank you Doc! I've been reading to catch up and this thread is pretty amazing!!

EDIT- Without changing the iron to aluminum block idea, I could get my car to 3060ish.
Glad there's some useful ideas in here for you, and thank you for the compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody.freeman1 View Post
Hey Doc, have you ever found/looked into good lightweight racing seats?
Yes I have actually. The Sparco headquarters is about 45 minutes from where I live so I was thinking of driving down there and sitting in different seats to see which one would be the most comfortable. Problem is though, while a true racing seat would save weight, the tank plate and harness bar for a 4 or 5-point harness would add most of it back.

I've purchased a tow-hook which weighs 2.5 lbs and I have an SLP front splitter on the way which I'll weigh when it gets here. I'm also going to get the ZL1 sideskirts so between all these new pieces I'm guessing I'm going to add about 30-40 lbs back on the car so an 18 lb racing seat might become more interesting. I believe the stock seat weighs about 55 lbs.

I'm not a pro-racer nor do I intend to competition-race so it's not absolutely necessary I go this route but I'll do the research and look into it though.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #306
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

I have the SLP front splitter and ZL1 sideskirts (haven't installed them yet) but I did weigh them. The SLP splitter (with mounting hardware) weighs 4.4 lbs:
Name:  SLP Splitter.JPG
Views: 842
Size:  127.1 KB

The sideskirts (with hardware) weigh 4.8 lbs each.
Name:  ZL1 Sideskirt.JPG
Views: 834
Size:  111.0 KB

I'll have to weigh the stock sideskirts and hardware when they're removed to get the difference in weight between them and the ZL1 skirts. I'll guess they weigh maybe about 3.8 lbs each so that would be a difference of 2 lbs for both sides, plus the 4.4 lbs for the front splitter. That adds roughly about 8.5 lbs total to my car but that weight is all below the axle line which is a good place to add it.

Tomorrow I'm out on the track at Autoclub Speedway in Fontana and I'll have some pics of that including some video. I pulled the video from Willow Springs but all I have is the follow laps where everyone who had never been on the track had to follow instructor cars for the first session to learn the line. I thought I'd turned the camera off after that session but apparently I didn't push the button far enough so the camera was left on and I filled the rest of my memory card with video of the front of my hood open. :P I'm going to make sure I don't make that mistake tomorrow.

I'll probably just do a single lap edit of the Willow Springs footage just so anyone who cares can see the course.

Ted Jannetty at Jannetty Racing did an email tune of the car and stabilized it nicely as well as adding some oomph on the bottom end. The car pulls like crazy right from the get-go. Can't wait to see how it does tomorrow!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #307
blackswan

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
The bulbs I wound up with were 5100k color temperature 35w D1S bulbs from MTEC which is a Japanese company. I got a pair for $150 from Ebay. 5100k is the temp of the bulbs they put in high-end European cars and some of the upscale cars here like Cadillacs. It has a color like arc-light white which is exactly what I was looking for. Philips doesn't make a 5k bulb; theirs go from 4300k which is OE spec to 6000k which is too blue for my tastes. The MTEC bulbs are just the color I was looking for.
Any perceived loss of brightness overall?
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #308
blackswan

Drives: Yes
Ah, found this, thanks. Great stuff, getting a pair since that yellow hue is just what I'd like to get rid of. Any chance of quantifying the loss of lumens? Does the spread throw just as far but just a little less bright or is there a reduction in distance?

Quote:
I wanted to change the stock HID's to a whiter color; I don't like the dull yellowed look of the stock HID's. The stock bulbs produce a light at 4300k temperature color so I replaced the stock bulbs with 5000k temp bulbs which are crystal white right on the edge of blue.

I like the color change but there was a drop in lumens so they don't put out as much light as the stock ones do. It's not terrible but I noticed it. The stock bulbs are 35 watt so I'm looking into upgrading the setup to 55w but that will require changing the ballast too.

In the meantime here are a few pics to show the difference. Obviously they're much brighter than in the pics; I changed my camera settings so you could see the colors easier instead of just bright glare.

The first pic is the stock HID 4300k bulb:
Attachment 201503

The next is the 5000k bulb:
Attachment 201504

Here you can see both before I changed the driver's side; the 5000k bulb is on the left and the 4300k is on the right:
Attachment 201505

Makes for a nicer, "more alert" kind of look I think.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #309
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
Ah, found this, thanks. Great stuff, getting a pair since that yellow hue is just what I'd like to get rid of. Any chance of quantifying the loss of lumens? Does the spread throw just as far but just a little less bright or is there a reduction in distance?
Not quite as bright in the front of the car but since 5100k starts shifting towards blue that's to be expected. Blue is harder to see and doesn't illuminate as well. It's fine around town though.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #310
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

A couple of quick pics from the track today. Had a blast. The car ran beautifully. Set fastest time in my class in the last session. Got some great video of the last session which I'll edit and post. The car sounded great. Jannetty did a tune for it yesterday and it worked perfectly.

Here's a shot early in the morning when I first got there, and before the driver's meeting.
Name:  IMG_1003.JPG
Views: 831
Size:  347.1 KB

Here's a shot later in the day.
Name:  IMG_1008.JPG
Views: 825
Size:  344.0 KB

AutoClub Speedway in Fontana is a really nice track. I'm definitely going back the next chance I get.

Next on the schedule is to get the ZL1 side skirts painted, then install them and the SLP front splitter, as well as the tow hook on the front of the car.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #311
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
I wish I would have known there was a track day today. It's been way too long since I got to play on the road course up there. Which configuration were you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #312
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
I wish I would have known there was a track day today. It's been way too long since I got to play on the road course up there. Which configuration were you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was the Roval running CCW. A blast to drive. I was hitting 140+ on the main straight. I need more downforce in the front though for turn 1 and 2 coming out of the straight. Hopefully the SLP front splitter will do the trick.

Name:  calspeedrovaltrack.gif.jpeg
Views: 834
Size:  64.8 KB

I believe there's another event there in August. The Comm's (Rob & Trish) and most of the SoCalC5 gang were running the autocross; I was the only one on the big track. We may be trying to get our own event going though, I think we need at least 25 to sign up.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #313
Vette TPI

Drives: 1987 Corvette TPI
The car looks stunning as usual Thanks for the update.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #314
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Here's a video of a few laps at AutoClub Speedway in Fontana, CA.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #315
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Nice as usual Doc. So you got a remote tune from Jannetty? I guess the tune still wasn't perfect from your cam install? I'm asking because I think mine could use a little clean up as well. I've been back to my tuner twice and for a couple of weeks afterward it's great, but then it gets a little rough again. Did you have to buy an SCT tuner from him and you could actually tell a noticeable difference? TIA.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #316
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977and2010 View Post
Nice as usual Doc. So you got a remote tune from Jannetty? I guess the tune still wasn't perfect from your cam install? I'm asking because I think mine could use a little clean up as well. I've been back to my tuner twice and for a couple of weeks afterward it's great, but then it gets a little rough again. Did you have to buy an SCT tuner from him and you could actually tell a noticeable difference? TIA.
Thanks! Yes I did, and yes there were still issues with my old tune. Jannetty is the real deal. I simply gave him the list of what I had in my car and without anything but that he sent me a "temporary" tune which amazed me how good it was! Solved the idle issue immediately. I did buy the SCT tuner and after some back and forth and sending him datalog files he nailed the tune. And he did it FAST, like within a couple of hours after I sent him the files.

I absolutely could tell the difference. MUCH better idle behavior, better throttle control, more torque on the bottom end and it pulled strong all the way to redline. If you watched the video you can hear how the car sounds; he did a great job.

I also noticed how much better the car started and ran when it was stone cold. If you have money invested in your engine, it's worth it to have a skilled and experienced tuner like Ted tune it for you.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-08-2012, 12:28 AM   #317
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Quote:
Went to Willow Springs Raceway last Saturday and ran on Big Willow, the main track. Had a good time but that track is fast and tricky; even the advanced drivers were spinning out. Here's a couple of shots I took with my iphone when I first arrived at around 7:00 a.m.; I'll have a video or two once I get the footage into my computer and edited.

Here it is early just after the sun came up; the weather was clear but cold. I think it was about 40 degrees when I took these. I was the only Camaro out there; it was mostly Japanese and German cars. As you can see I paddocked next to a Ferrari who's owner was a really nice guy.

Attachment 351077

The track goes up the side of a hill and makes for some very tricky corners. It doesn't look like much of an elevation change from here but it's a pretty tight and steep climb up and down those corners you see in the distance.

Attachment 351079

At any rate if the videos turned out okay you'll get to see it.

This was the first time I've had the car on the track since getting the cam and clutch upgrades and the car is VERY responsive at speed. Took me a bit to get used to the increase in power and I never did really feel like I got myself dialed into it properly. I managed to go off the track in turn 9 heading onto the main straight (no damage done except to my pride lol) and quickly discovered you do NOT mash the gas pedal suddenly with this new power; too much too quick. I need to practice better throttle control, and preferably on a flat track. I need to see if Auto Speedway in Fontana is running anything the next few months.

I got to ride around with one of the instructors for some fast laps and he spent half the time trying to keep the back end from coming around; and this was a guy who knew the track and his car like the back of his hand. It's definitely a challenging track.
Hey Doc I see you ran Willow spring how were your times out there?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #318
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunerider View Post
Hey Doc I see you ran Willow spring how were your times out there?
I didn't look but I'm sure my times sucked. I was pointing people to pass all the time. The car was so touchy to drive and that course needs good throttle control. The previous tune was like instant turbo; I'd just barely touch the pedal and get a huge gob of power so I was constantly paranoid of the back end coming around and wrecking my car.

This new tune that Jannetty did fixed all that and the throttle response is now smooth and MUCH easier to control. If you watched the video above you can hear the engine accelerating in a very linear fashion which made it a joy to drive. I never once spun or was worried about it; all my attention was on taking the right line and picking up speed around the track.

At Willow when I was in the middle of a corner I'd just barely touch the pedal and the power response felt like I'd mashed it to half throttle. Very nerve-wracking.

There's going to be another Speed Venture event at the Speedway on the Roval in August. I'm definitely going so sign up and join me! It would be cool if we could get some of the SoCal C5 team out there.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #319
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Here's a fun little video of a "follow the instructor" lap that you have to take at Willow Springs if you've never driven on the track before. I didn't get the rest of my day because after this first session I thought I'd turned off my video camera but didn't apparently and wound up filling the rest of my video card with great footage of my car sitting in the pits with the hood open.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #320
Blackhawk6

Drives: Born:18 Sept 2009 #47903
Very nice post Doc
2010 Camaro 2SS________________________________________Litho#140

Blackhawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #321
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Thanks Doc, that's good to hear. But at the same time not so good. That's more money I have to spend.

Quote:
Thanks! Yes I did, and yes there were still issues with my old tune. Jannetty is the real deal. I simply gave him the list of what I had in my car and without anything but that he sent me a "temporary" tune which amazed me how good it was! Solved the idle issue immediately. I did buy the SCT tuner and after some back and forth and sending him datalog files he nailed the tune. And he did it FAST, like within a couple of hours after I sent him the files.

I absolutely could tell the difference. MUCH better idle behavior, better throttle control, more torque on the bottom end and it pulled strong all the way to redline. If you watched the video you can hear how the car sounds; he did a great job.

I also noticed how much better the car started and ran when it was stone cold. If you have money invested in your engine, it's worth it to have a skilled and experienced tuner like Ted tune it for you.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #322
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977and2010 View Post
Thanks Doc, that's good to hear. But at the same time not so good. That's more money I have to spend.
Yeah, I hear ya. But after all the investment I've made I wanted it RIGHT. I wanted to be able to enjoy driving the car. Willow Springs was not enjoyable; AutoClub Speedway was a blast.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #323
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Here's a better quality (720P HD) version of the Autoclub Speedway video for those of you who have a high-speed internet connection. That other video was pretty blurry at full-screen size.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 05-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #324
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/

Just for comparison, check how well Doc's paint matches up. It really is the automotive equivalent of the Angels.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:35 AM   #325
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Here are a few shots from the AutoClub Speedway event last Saturday, courtesy of CaliPhotography.com.

Here's me on the starting grid:
Name:  2012-05-May May-05-2012-SpeedVentures 4-White 950am - Hot Pit Lane PIT_9479.JPG
Views: 751
Size:  125.0 KB

Going around a few corners:
Name:  2012-05-May May-05-2012-SpeedVentures 4-White 155pm CP4_2540.JPG
Views: 1008
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  2012-05-May May-05-2012-SpeedVentures 4-White 155pm CP4_2543.JPG
Views: 742
Size:  75.5 KB

Name:  2012-05-May May-05-2012-SpeedVentures 4-White 155pm CP4_2994.JPG
Views: 749
Size:  76.4 KB

Here's me on the main straight crossing the start/finish line:
Name:  2012-05-May May-05-2012-SpeedVentures 4-White 955am CP4_7296.JPG
Views: 751
Size:  148.0 KB

Name:  2012-05-May May-05-2012-SpeedVentures 4-White 955am CP4_7062.JPG
Views: 745
Size:  92.9 KB

One more on the course:
Name:  2012-05-May May-05-2012-SpeedVentures 4-White 1150am CP4_9688.JPG
Views: 749
Size:  77.1 KB

Pulling off the track into the pit area:
Name:  2012-05-May May-05-2012-SpeedVentures 4-White 955am CP4_7494.JPG
Views: 756
Size:  72.6 KB

Fun day; had a blast. Looking forward to the next one there.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM

Tags
camaro of the week