Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #26
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator
 
Milk 1027's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by khislop007 View Post
For the oil life system to work
properly, the system must be reset
every time the oil is changed.
So if the ECM is disconnected or the OLS is reset before the oil change, the system won't be working properly.
__________________
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #27
cwalms
 
cwalms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS Red Jewel Tint
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 135
Send a message via Skype™ to cwalms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk@VectorMotorsports View Post
That being said, in the well over 1000 remote tunes we have done we have yet to see a single warranty issue. Over 435 of these are G8 tunes (same ECM).
Kirk - Out of curiosity if someone were to have one of your tunes and the factory declined warranty coverage based on the tune not matching the factory tune would you be willing to cover the cost of repairs?
cwalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #28
khislop007
ZEUSS
 
khislop007's Avatar
 
Drives: Hard!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
So if the ECM is disconnected or the OLS is reset before the oil change, the system won't be working properly.
I think it is working properly just that it calculates it since the last time it is reset. Not sure what would happen if the ECM was disconnected.

Then they go on to say....If it is accidentally reset...


Quote:
Originally Posted by khislop007 View Post
If the system is ever reset
accidentally, the oil must be changed
at 5 000 km (3,000 miles) since the
last oil change.
Remember to reset
the oil life system whenever the oil is
changed.
__________________
khislop007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #29
khislop007
ZEUSS
 
khislop007's Avatar
 
Drives: Hard!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalms View Post
Kirk - Out of curiosity if someone were to have one of your tunes and the factory declined warranty coverage based on the tune not matching the factory tune would you be willing to cover the cost of repairs?
Don't go there. The last thread about this went way off track and got closed.
__________________
khislop007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #30
cwalms
 
cwalms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS Red Jewel Tint
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 135
Send a message via Skype™ to cwalms
Quote:
Originally Posted by khislop007 View Post
Don't go there. The last thread about this went way off track and got closed.
Sorry, didn't know that. I was just curious.
cwalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #31
khislop007
ZEUSS
 
khislop007's Avatar
 
Drives: Hard!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalms View Post
Sorry, didn't know that. I was just curious.
You can read up on it here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39558
__________________
khislop007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #32
kelley@vectormotorsports
 
Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Clinton Twp., MI
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
the G8 ISNT the same ECM, its the same family, but the Camaro gets one with quite a few new revisions (one being the addition of the third medium speed data bus that the Tech 2 cant be used to read).

Just because you dont consider the OLMS an actual mileage counter does not mean that GM does not as well.
The 2009.5 ECM is most certainly ther same ECM. I have plenty of them in running Camaro's right now. We call it a E38V2.

If GM wants to call a owner re-settable system a mileage counter, I guess that is OK. It will only show the mileage from the last user re-set.

On a side note, I just replaced a ECM in a new Camaro and didn't have to re-set the oil life, it was still correct.
kelley@vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #33
Enginerd
 
Drives: GM
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Milford, MI
Posts: 6
The internet is a great place to disseminate information, this message board is no exception however there seems to be a lot of misinformation relative to our ECM family specifically the Camaro ECM so I’d like to take a minute to address some statements to allow a glimpse into how we program these controllers.

Does the E38 have a “flash counter”?
Both the original E38A and E38B have support for a flash “tracking system” of sorts. While it’s not as in depth as the Bosch E35 used on the LMM trucks it does exist however current production releases have it disabled, but this could change at any time. When programmed by a GM Facility the unit already stores the programming date (as sent by the programming software) as well as the programming station or repair facility ID.

OLMS/Odometer
OLMS does have an Odometer?
Yes it does, its used for a very small part of the OLMS system operation.

“OLMS is partially in the ECM”
OLMS resides in it entirety in the ECM. On this note OLMS does not read mileage from the IPC or any other module in the vehicle.

“The 2009.5 G8 ECM is the same as the Camaro”
While they both have the revisions for the new version 8 software they are most certainly not the same. The 2009.5 L76/LS3 G8 uses the 12625455 ECM for software rev 8.9 while the Camaro uses the 12633238 for the newer 8.10 software. In fact if you load a Camaro calibration into the G8 ECM it will render it unusable.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=74
AFM actually can be controlled by the transmission status bit, this is how it’s turned off in Manual mode otherwise when the ECM saw the conditions even in manual mode to enter AFM it would. The AFM enable by trans status bit can be set in the ECM.
Enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #34
kelley@vectormotorsports
 
Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Clinton Twp., MI
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
The internet is a great place to disseminate information, this message board is no exception however there seems to be a lot of misinformation relative to our ECM family specifically the Camaro ECM so I’d like to take a minute to address some statements to allow a glimpse into how we program these controllers.

Does the E38 have a “flash counter”?
Both the original E38A and E38B have support for a flash “tracking system” of sorts. While it’s not as in depth as the Bosch E35 used on the LMM trucks it does exist however current production releases have it disabled, but this could change at any time. When programmed by a GM Facility the unit already stores the programming date (as sent by the programming software) as well as the programming station or repair facility ID.

Thanks for helping clear this up.

OLMS/Odometer
OLMS does have an Odometer?
Yes it does, its used for a very small part of the OLMS system operation.

“OLMS is partially in the ECM”
OLMS resides in it entirety in the ECM. On this note OLMS does not read mileage from the IPC or any other module in the vehicle.

My main point is there is no "hard" milage counter in the ECM. That is what the original question was.

“The 2009.5 G8 ECM is the same as the Camaro”
While they both have the revisions for the new version 8 software they are most certainly not the same. The 2009.5 L76/LS3 G8 uses the 12625455 ECM for software rev 8.9 while the Camaro uses the 12633238 for the newer 8.10 software. In fact if you load a Camaro calibration into the G8 ECM it will render it unusable.

I have yet to purchase a 2010 ECM I always use 2009.5 E38's. I have not had an issue running them in a 2010 Camaro. Maybe I'm just getting lucky?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=74
AFM actually can be controlled by the transmission status bit, this is how it’s turned off in Manual mode otherwise when the ECM saw the conditions even in manual mode to enter AFM it would. The AFM enable by trans status bit can be set in the ECM. [

You are correct here, but we can not find this as of yet. I think I know why you can.
a
kelley@vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #35
Enginerd
 
Drives: GM
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Milford, MI
Posts: 6
Without getting into any security infringement the Odometer for OLMS is hard but there are other things that work with it and store other info relative to it.

As far as the '10 software on the 09 ECM, the only way that would work is if it was a new green unit and you loaded it and even that is short lived. The unit will load but once the MEC decrements down to 0 and turns security on the unit will be a paperweight for all intents and purposes. It will run but more than likely with a RAM error however it will be unable to be re-written past this point.

This was the issue that Corvette owners have run into as of late I'm sure others in the aftermarket have encountered this as well as I've seen a lot of these units with '10 software on them from people trying to add launch control to the 2009 Corvette.
Enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:42 AM   #36
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,194


You can't lose your warranty if you don't jack with the ECM and tune your car. Simple as that. And if you tune, ....and if something breaks....., don't go crying to GM telling them to fix it. In fact, for those wanting to change out ECM's to try and hide the fact the car had been tuned, ask yourself.....

Is the possibility of losing the entire 5 year/100,000 mile warranty over 20 to 30hp really worth it?
__________________
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #37
Steve@Vectormotorsports
 
Drives: Firehawk
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Port Huron
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post


In fact, for those wanting to change out ECM's to try and hide the fact the car had been tuned, ask yourself.....

Is the possibility of losing the entire 5 year/100,000 mile warranty over 20 to 30hp really worth it?
Shouldn't this decision be up to the people who actually are on the fence about geting tuned rather than your obviously biased opnion about tuning?
Steve@Vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #38
2Tightwads
Banned
 
Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 388
I've said it before...where is the integrity among enthusiasts? Stop treating you pride and joy like you hiding your income from IRS! Do what you like (tune or no tune), don't try to HIDE it, and IF you get caught, D'up and accept the fact that you like everyone before you has to PAY TO PLAY!
2Tightwads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #39
EAkrish
Scout Sniping
 
EAkrish's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 762
Send a message via AIM to EAkrish
I have been in for warranty work directly related to reprogramming using the diagnostic port and had no issues.
__________________
Eric
Previous Car:1SS/CGM 6MT w/ Sunroof & FACTORY BLUETOOTH!!!: New Era OTR, Steeda Short Shifter, Ported TB, Stg 2 ported intake manifold, Fasterproms, Poor man down pipes, MBRP 3" Exhaust!!!


Now I drive a F150 Supercrew
EAkrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #40
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator
 
Milk 1027's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@Vectormotorsports View Post
Shouldn't this decision be up to the people who actually are on the fence about geting tuned rather than your obviously biased opnion about tuning?
He's simply trying to protect our members, and you guys seem like you take offense to us questioning you. But I always tend to ask more questions on things that interest me.......that's just me though.

Also, don't be rude, especially towards any of our moderators, we don't take that too kindly.
__________________
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #41
kelley@vectormotorsports
 
Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Clinton Twp., MI
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tightwads View Post
I've said it before...where is the integrity among enthusiasts? Stop treating you pride and joy like you hiding your income from IRS! Do what you like (tune or no tune), don't try to HIDE it, and IF you get caught, D'up and accept the fact that you like everyone before you has to PAY TO PLAY!
Agreed!

Truthfully I have seen more warranty claims from aftermarket wheels/tires than from tunes (which I have seen none).
kelley@vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #42
Steve@Vectormotorsports
 
Drives: Firehawk
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Port Huron
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
He's simply trying to protect our members, and you guys seem like you take offense to us questioning you. But I always tend to ask more questions on things that interest me.......that's just me though.

Also, don't be rude, especially towards any of our moderators, we don't take that too kindly.
Well your "moderator" made a statment saying, is it worth losing your 5 year/100,000 mile warranty over being tuned. Instead of trying to mislead members on information that isnt factual, it may have been better stated as losing your powertrain warranty. I have an email box full of emails and p.m's from members who say that the cheerleading from the anti tuners is getting to be a bit much. Your questions are always welcome.

We consider the members of this board to be a well informed community and can make educated decisions on there own.
Steve@Vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #43
1320junkie
Account Suspended
 
Drives: The Imperial Army
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Darkside
Posts: 15,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@Vectormotorsports View Post
Well your "moderator" made a statment saying, is it worth losing your 5 year/100,000 mile warranty over being tuned. Instead of trying to mislead members on information that isnt factual, it may have been better stated as losing your powertrain warranty. I have an email box full of emails and p.m's from members who say that the cheerleading from the anti tuners is getting to be a bit much. Your questions are always welcome.

We consider the members of this board to be a well informed community and can make educated decisions on there own.
Well they should PM the moderators don't you think? Because we have just as many PM's opposing your post. along with info from those who "are very familiar"with the ecm's personally and they say you are wrong. So I guess both sides are represented in the threads and it is ultimately up to the member to make their choice.
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #44
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator
 
Milk 1027's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@Vectormotorsports View Post
Well your "moderator" made a statment saying, is it worth losing your 5 year/100,000 mile warranty over being tuned. Instead of trying to mislead members on information that isnt factual, it may have been better stated as losing your powertrain warranty. I have an email box full of emails and p.m's from members who say that the cheerleading from the anti tuners is getting to be a bit much. Your questions are always welcome.

We consider the members of this board to be a well informed community and can make educated decisions on there own.
and what exactly is the powertrain warranty? Nothing that he said was misleading or unfactual. I dont believe any of us are "anti tuners" here. My only problem with you guys is the way you respond to very simple questions. I agree that our members can make their own decisions, but I dont agree that they should only hear your side of the story. Especially when the op was making a general question to all tuners, but you guys seem to have turned it into an advertisement. Again, I personally have nothing against that, but let our members read both the good and bad of tuning and have them decide what they want to do.

We are once again trailing from the original question. that was posted.
The answer for that is, even if you flash your ECM and reset it to factory settings, GM can see that there was a tune done and void the warranty. If you change your ECM, you might encounter problems and have your warranty voided. Most of our members want to mod their cars. but they must also understand that in order to get full advantage of mods, (especially when getting into heavy modifications outside of bolt ons) or even to change the tires, the car must be tuned. Like it has been said before, if you are going to tune your car, you must be ready to pay the cosequences.

Once again I ask you to remain respectful in your posts. We hold vendors to higher standards than our regular members, if you are not prepared to do so then I ask you to not come back until you are ready to be respectful to everyone on this site.
__________________
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #45
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 23,950
And I was enjoying this thread...

Just when we were getting to the good stuff... like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
AFM actually can be controlled by the transmission status bit, this is how it’s turned off in Manual mode otherwise when the ECM saw the conditions even in manual mode to enter AFM it would. The AFM enable by trans status bit can be set in the ECM.
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #46
kelley@vectormotorsports
 
Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Clinton Twp., MI
Posts: 241
[QUOTE=Milk 1027;1035150]We are once again trailing from the original question. that was posted.
The answer for that is, even if you flash your ECM and reset it to factory settings, GM can see that there was a tune done and void the warranty. QUOTE]

That is absolutely incorrect. This is exactly what I mean.

This is the kind of bad information that is thrown around as fact by people that don't know better.

If you want to believe that the people on this board are too dumb to make their own decisions, then so have it. I certainly do not think that way.

In ten years of tuning LSX vehicles on multiple forums I have yet to see this.
kelley@vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #47
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator
 
Milk 1027's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk@VectorMotorsports View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
We are once again trailing from the original question. that was posted.
The answer for that is, even if you flash your ECM and reset it to factory settings, GM can see that there was a tune done and void the warranty.
That is absolutely incorrect. This is exactly what I mean.

This is the kind of bad information that is thrown around as fact by people that don't know better.

If you want to believe that the people on this board are too dumb to make their own decisions, then so have it. I certainly do not think that way.

In ten years of tuning LSX vehicles on multiple forums I have yet to see this.

I never said members were dumb did I? In fact I sad the exact opposite. Look it seems like you just want to argue the same point. I get my information directly from people who develop the computers. I stated my points and you stated yours. If you want to keep calling me a liar so be it. I'll let the members decide. But I will not continue to let you twist my words and be disrespectful on this site. If you choose to do so, we can very well show you the door. As you can see we don't have the need for supporting vendors and therefore are not tied down by this.
__________________
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #48
kelley@vectormotorsports
 
Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Clinton Twp., MI
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post

I never said members were dumb did I? In fact I sad the exact opposite. Look it seems like you just want to argue the same point. I get my information directly from people who develop the computers. I stated my points and you stated yours. If you want to keep calling me a liar so be it. I'll let the members decide. But I will not continue to let you twist my words and be disrespectful on this site. If you choose to do so, we can very well show you the door. As you can see we don't have the need for supporting vendors and therefore are not tied down by this.
You threaten, you win.
kelley@vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #49
EAkrish
Scout Sniping
 
EAkrish's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 762
Send a message via AIM to EAkrish
its war!!!
__________________
Eric
Previous Car:1SS/CGM 6MT w/ Sunroof & FACTORY BLUETOOTH!!!: New Era OTR, Steeda Short Shifter, Ported TB, Stg 2 ported intake manifold, Fasterproms, Poor man down pipes, MBRP 3" Exhaust!!!


Now I drive a F150 Supercrew
EAkrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #50
kelley@vectormotorsports
 
Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Clinton Twp., MI
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
And I was enjoying this thread...

Just when we were getting to the good stuff... like this...
BTW, we think we found the bit to turn off AFM in Sport mode.
kelley@vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flash drive issues 2010CamaroOutlaw Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 1 09-16-2009 02:57 PM
Driven Performance ECM Flash on a Stock SS = +20hp / +30tq Driven Performance Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 23 06-14-2009 12:43 AM
ECU Tune derin11 Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 1 05-29-2009 08:07 AM
ECU Pics? Jonmalibuss Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 8 05-14-2009 02:55 PM
itunes to Flash drive question Eighty-Six Z Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 15 04-27-2009 05:39 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.