Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
bitchncamaro
 
bitchncamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss IBM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phila. Pa
Posts: 12
Send a message via ICQ to bitchncamaro
oil smell

I have been getting an oil smell coming out of my vents inside the car whenever i come to a stop. I have an apointment with the dealer to have this looked at. Has anyone else had this problem?
bitchncamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
04ssSilverado
 
04ssSilverado's Avatar
 
Drives: above `12 zl1 #780
Join Date: May 2009
Location: holly-springs,nc
Posts: 197
i'm not making a joke at all; but the first time i sat in my camaro, i just sat and looked around. after a few minutes i thought to my self; the only thing missing(the old muscle car smell) was THAT smell,that i have never been able to describe.but anyway i hope it's nothing serious.
04ssSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
vdevine
 
vdevine's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black SS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 606
If you have your AC on and you are going slow or at a light, you may have a crack or loose air hose....check your connections first.
__________________
Vince
SS2 Black with CGM Stripes
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
Mason44
 
Mason44's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1LT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 370
How long have you had your car and how many miles are on it? Maybe there is just a little bit of oil on the motor and it has to burn off.
Mason44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:40 AM   #5
bitchncamaro
 
bitchncamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss IBM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phila. Pa
Posts: 12
Send a message via ICQ to bitchncamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason44 View Post
How long have you had your car and how many miles are on it? Maybe there is just a little bit of oil on the motor and it has to burn off.
Ive had the car for 2 months and about 1300 miles. I will look under the engine cover today when i get a chance. I did spill a little oil around the dished area(on the engine cover) around the oil inlet when i changed my oil. I thought it was self contained but it may have seeped through to the engine.
bitchncamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
bitchncamaro
 
bitchncamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss IBM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phila. Pa
Posts: 12
Send a message via ICQ to bitchncamaro
I checked under the engine cover and there was no sign of oil anywere, oh well i guess I'll find out when it goes to the dealer.
bitchncamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
bitchncamaro
 
bitchncamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss IBM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phila. Pa
Posts: 12
Send a message via ICQ to bitchncamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ssSilverado View Post
i'm not making a joke at all; but the first time i sat in my camaro, i just sat and looked around. after a few minutes i thought to my self; the only thing missing(the old muscle car smell) was THAT smell,that i have never been able to describe.but anyway i hope it's nothing serious.
I know what you mean about the old car smell, I wish that was it.
bitchncamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
schleprock67
 
Drives: Inperial Blue 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis Metro Area
Posts: 7
Sometimes

Yeah, I've got an IBM also, and every once in a while, at a stop, I get an oil, or gas smell. Goes away pretty quickly, once I start moving, and doesn't necessarily show up at the next stop. Weird.
schleprock67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
BlackinBlack
 
BlackinBlack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Black
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 713
My car started this after the dealer changed the oil. My guess is that they spilled some. But I cannot see any. I am running with the engine cover... so it should be easy to see. Just a mystery.
__________________
2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder
 
Mr Smith's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cartoon City, Nevada
Posts: 694
Mine had that smell up until about 1200 miles on the odo and then it went away. Everything dry top and bottom. Probably the rings seating in.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
DangerZL1

 
Drives: Accord
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Memphis, TN Area
Posts: 1,910
It wouldn't hurt to wash the engine with a degreaser to remove any traces of spilled oil, etc. Maybe it will make the smell go away quicker.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #12
trickortreat
 
trickortreat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black, IOI
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: HRVA
Posts: 96
I noticed this same smell on my test drive (car had 25 miles on it). I asked the dealer and he said it's the coating on the exhaust burning off. I notice it more when I've been lead footing around.
trickortreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
Sevn86


 
Sevn86's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 13,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickortreat View Post
I noticed this same smell on my test drive (car had 25 miles on it). I asked the dealer and he said it's the coating on the exhaust burning off. I notice it more when I've been lead footing around.
Don't worry my car did that also when I picked it up last Thursday...my salesman said the same thing...it's starting to go away...atleast ur car wasn't smoking on ur test drive before taking her home...
__________________
2LT, RS, AT6 ABM, Gray Leather
Quote:
Originally Posted by baclarsen View Post
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #14
trickortreat
 
trickortreat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black, IOI
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: HRVA
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevn86 View Post
Don't worry my car did that also when I picked it up last Thursday...my salesman said the same thing...it's starting to go away...atleast ur car wasn't smoking on ur test drive before taking her home...
lol. The dealer said he's had other cars smoke like you describe so he had the salesman drive them around to accelerate the burning off process. A nice job to have. Maybe I should have volunteered for burn off duty?
trickortreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
Sevn86


 
Sevn86's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 13,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickortreat View Post
lol. The dealer said he's had other cars smoke like you describe so he had the salesman drive them around to accelerate the burning off process. A nice job to have. Maybe I should have volunteered for burn off duty?
I'd love to have that job...
__________________
2LT, RS, AT6 ABM, Gray Leather
Quote:
Originally Posted by baclarsen View Post
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #16
1meanss
 
1meanss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitchncamaro View Post
I have been getting an oil smell coming out of my vents inside the car whenever i come to a stop. I have an apointment with the dealer to have this looked at. Has anyone else had this problem?
Yes, should go away with about 600 mi on it. Its all the oils and lubricants that went into building and assembling that is burning off. I had the same issue and it went away.. so keep on driving it!
1meanss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #17
BlackinBlack
 
BlackinBlack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Black
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1meanss View Post
Yes, should go away with about 600 mi on it. Its all the oils and lubricants that went into building and assembling that is burning off. I had the same issue and it went away.. so keep on driving it!
For me it started after I had a dealer oil change? I looked under the hood and it is dry as a bone. Very strange. Also I cannot smell it outside the car.
__________________
2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #18
CP2010SS/RS
DaMAN
 
CP2010SS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro, 1970 Blazer,
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Salinas,Ca
Posts: 15
I have the same smell after an oil change and the engine bay is dry,

It is real faint smell but bugs the crap out of me
CP2010SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #19
SirZoltan
 
SirZoltan's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 PTCruiser, 89 CutlassCalais
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 65
I have definitely noticed this smell [like burning oil] on my brand new camaro.

I was going to tell my salesman it'd be really nice if they told you this was going to happen!

C ya,
Chad
__________________
Inferno Orange 2LT, RS, sunroof, orange seats!
1100 9/14/09
3000 10/2/09 -- TPW 10/26/2009
3300 10/15/09
3400 10/24/09
3800 10/28/09 VIN 2G1FC1EV5A9161259
4000 10/29/09
4200 11/03/09
6000 11/16/09
SirZoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #20
shelviloy
 
Drives: camaro
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: US
Posts: 3
No i have never faced this problem but i think there is some problem with your oil itself..it is needed to be checked properly or it may even spoil your storer..so be careful
__________________
shelviloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #21
Coop 2010
Delivered 05/20/2009
 
Coop 2010's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2010 2SS RS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelviloy View Post
No i have never faced this problem but i think there is some problem with your oil itself..it is needed to be checked properly or it may even spoil your storer..so be careful

Oil Storer??? WTF?
Coop 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #22
Mike TexaSS
 
Drives: 454 LS7 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 380
Check you intakes behind the throttle body blade. The LS3's suck alot of oil into the intake through the pcv system. When I removed the stock LS3 there was alot of oil in the intake manifold.

Buy a catch can.
Mike TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #23
formaxboxers
 
formaxboxers's Avatar
 
Drives: Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 485
We have noticed the burning oil smell after the dealer changed the oil also. It comes and goes, we took it in to have them look at and they could not find anything on the motor or underneath. Very strange.
__________________
2010 Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS/RS, Black Rally Stripes, Black Interior, M6, Sunroof, 20" Polished Wheels, Solo Mach-X Cat Back Exhaust, Blacked Out Bowties

Got screwed by original dealer in Eufuala, Oklahoma on November 3, 2009.
Found new one at Paddock Chevrolet and drove 2400 miles roundtrip to pick her up in Buffalo, New York on Nov. 5, 2009.
formaxboxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #24
DangerZL1

 
Drives: Accord
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Memphis, TN Area
Posts: 1,910
My '86 Monte Carlo SS did this after an oil change, even if I made sure none got on anything under the car. I never figured out why it happened, but it eventually did go away. Strange to say the least.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #25
Fast1
 
Fast1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Summit White SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitchncamaro View Post
I have been getting an oil smell coming out of my vents inside the car whenever i come to a stop. I have an apointment with the dealer to have this looked at. Has anyone else had this problem?
Was this issue ever resolved? I took mine in today for the burning oil smell. (I've had for 5 months and 2700 miles.) The service manager could smell it too, but he looked at it himself and reported no leaks. The tech put dye in it and I'll be going back in a few days.
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil Changes Dave McFly Off-topic Discussions 6 05-18-2010 05:50 PM
How about a barrel of oil for around $16? Blownhotrodder General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 19 03-06-2009 08:25 PM
The 3,000 Mile Oil Change Myth KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 35 07-20-2008 10:02 PM
Major U.S. oil source is tapped KILLER74Z28 Off-topic Discussions 32 10-30-2007 10:47 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.