Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
OBSSEST
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 413
What have you replaced your P-Zeros with?

I've been searching high and low for what I will replace my OEM Pirelli P-Zeros with. I currently have only 950 miles, but reviews for this tire seem to give anywhere from 4k to 10k miles of mileage before they are worn out. The only replacements on tirerack.com are the P-Zeros or a winter tire. I'm more interested in a replacement that will give a bit more mileage and maybe not be so temperamental for the the occasional freezing temps (without snow) that I am going to see in Northern California.

What have you replaced your P-Zeros with? Where did you get them? and how are they performing compared to the OEM tires?
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
04ssSilverado
 
04ssSilverado's Avatar
 
Drives: above `12 zl1 #780
Join Date: May 2009
Location: holly-springs,nc
Posts: 197
why in the hell did gm put these tires on.had to be a backroom deal.
04ssSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
1320junkie
Account Suspended
 
Drives: The Imperial Army
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Darkside
Posts: 15,741
Nitto's but i dont know how long they will go in comparison to the P-Zero's
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #4
gabraddock

 
gabraddock's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro Rally Yellow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fremont, Bay Area, Ca
Posts: 1,407
Where did you hear that number? My tire guy told me I should get at least 40,000 miles before they were worn out? Is this not true?
gabraddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Indpowr
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Corvette C6
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabraddock View Post
Where did you hear that number? My tire guy told me I should get at least 40,000 miles before they were worn out? Is this not true?
There is no way you will get 40k out of a PZero tire even if you drive 5 miles an hour that whole time. These tires are WAY soft even compared to like tires. Nitto seem to last the longest. I think 4k is a little low unless your driving hard. You should get around 12-18k on a set. Maybe low 20s if your lucky.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #6
Wild Bill
 
Wild Bill's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2015 RS CRM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanandGreen View Post
I've been searching high and low for what I will replace my OEM Pirelli P-Zeros with. I currently have only 950 miles, but reviews for this tire seem to give anywhere from 4k to 10k miles of mileage before they are worn out. The only replacements on tirerack.com are the P-Zeros or a winter tire. I'm more interested in a replacement that will give a bit more mileage and maybe not be so temperamental for the the occasional freezing temps (without snow) that I am going to see in Northern California.

What have you replaced your P-Zeros with? Where did you get them? and how are they performing compared to the OEM tires?
I will switch to an all season wheel in the winter.

I decided that in the long run, switching the tires back and forth from the existing rims would not be practical for me with balancing, time spent, shop fees etc. 2 times a year. I'll swap out the wheels in my garage.

Costly, but to me worth it (see below). The Yokos come highly rated and there aren't alot of combos out there that will work over those hugh Bremos. The wheels look nice.

Here is a list of my recent purchase at tirerack.com for my 2SS. I will switch the P-Zeros when the NY winter threatens and then back to the P-Zeros for the rest of the year.


Item Description Availability Qty. Price Each Item Total

315MHZ TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR IN STOCK 4 $57.00 $228.00
OPTIONAL METAL VALVE IN STOCK 4 $4.00 $16.00



Item Description Availability Qty. Price Each Item Total

20x9 Machined w/Anthracite Accent Sport Muscle Tach IN STOCK 2 $209.00 $418.00



Item Description Availability Qty. Price Each Item Total

REQUIRED CENTERING RING IN STOCK 2 N/C N/C
REQUIRED LUGNUT FOR VEHICLE IN STOCK 10 N/C N/C
LUG INSTALLATION TOOL IN STOCK 1 N/C N/C
RETAINING CLIP FOR AL-P RING IN STOCK 2 N/C N/C



Item Description Availability Qty. Price Each Item Total

20x10 Machined w/Anthracite Accent Sport Muscle Tach IN STOCK 2 $224.00 $448.00



Item Description Availability Qty. Price Each Item Total

REQUIRED CENTERING RING IN STOCK 2 N/C N/C
REQUIRED LUGNUT FOR VEHICLE IN STOCK 10 N/C N/C
LUG INSTALLATION TOOL IN STOCK 1 N/C N/C
RETAINING CLIP FOR AL-P RING IN STOCK 2 N/C N/C



Item Description Availability Qty. Price Each Item Total

245/45R20 Yokohama Parada Spec-X ESTIMATED 09/13/09 2 $142.00 $284.00



Item Description Availability Qty. Price Each Item Total

MOUNT AND BALANCE (NO CHARGE) IN STOCK 2 N/C N/C



Item Description Availability Qty. Price Each Item Total

275/40R20 Yokohama Parada Spec-X IN STOCK 2 $150.00 $300.00



Item Description Availability Qty. Price Each Item Total

YOKOHAMA WARRANTY PACKET IN STOCK 1 N/C N/C
TIRE REGISTRATION CARD -RETAIL IN STOCK 1 N/C N/C
MOUNT AND BALANCE (NO CHARGE) IN STOCK 2 N/C N/C


Item(s) Total:
$1,694.00
Sales Tax: $0.00
Excise Tax: $0.00
State Waste Tire Fund Fee: $0.00
Shipping: $101.95


Order Total:
$1,795.95

the orrder has been received and I will switch the wheels/tires in a couple of weeks and see how they will ride.
__________________
IOM 2SS/RS manual
1100 - 4/7/09
3000 - 5/27/09
6000 - 7/17/09
See my Thread in New York Metro Area.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33878
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
mike25


 
mike25's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dubba V
Posts: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
There is no way you will get 40k out of a PZero tire even if you drive 5 miles an hour that whole time. These tires are WAY soft even compared to like tires. Nitto seem to last the longest. I think 4k is a little low unless your driving hard. You should get around 12-18k on a set. Maybe low 20s if your lucky.
i wouldnt be so sure of that....
__________________
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
Legend
Hello!
 
Legend's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike25 View Post
i wouldnt be so sure of that....
I would! 40K out of these and you must be on the rim!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
SilverIce1
Silver Ice
 
Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT Automatic
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 191
Keep in mind that the Pzero 20's are summer tires and the Pzero 19's are A/S tires. The 19's will last at least 40,000 miles. The summer version will be significantly less.

I have 4,300 miles on my 19's and haven't even registered wear from original depth per my tread-depth gauge.
SilverIce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
dtodd
 
dtodd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Black Camaro 2SS w/ RS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 25
Hey Wild Bill,

Where did you find the 20" rims for the SS? When I searched for winter tires for 20" all I got was Blizzak's or Scorpions and the only rim was $1440/ea!!

I was thinking of going with the 18" tire/rim combo (Blizzak's and some rim @ %130/ea). If the 20" are available for only a few hundred more, which is best, the 20" or 18"??
dtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!
 
tjd24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 3,445
I got via Tirerack the Bridsgestone Blizzak LM-60s 245/45R20 @ $260 each and the Sport Edition ST4 rims @ $89 each, TPMS Sensors @ $57 each and shipping at $98 from Tirerack - grand total $1,738 - mounted & delivered straight to my Dealer who will install them in late Oct and store the Pirellis/RS Rims for the Winter.

I had considered the 18" LM-25s which are less expensive but didn't like the 18" rim choices so I decided to stay with 20" and pay the piper..
__________________
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/tjd24 http://ny5thgen.com/TJD_RS.htm
#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 & booked for #5
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #12
Wild Bill
 
Wild Bill's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2015 RS CRM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtodd View Post
Hey Wild Bill,

Where did you find the 20" rims for the SS? When I searched for winter tires for 20" all I got was Blizzak's or Scorpions and the only rim was $1440/ea!!

I was thinking of going with the 18" tire/rim combo (Blizzak's and some rim @ %130/ea). If the 20" are available for only a few hundred more, which is best, the 20" or 18"??
I've got the 2SS so no choice to go under 20" because of the Brembos.

Go to www.tirerack.com. There is an excellent system. You put in your year, type and LS, LT, SS and it will show you tire and/or wheels for your model. You can also see a picture of your 2010 with the wheel choice. very cool.
__________________
IOM 2SS/RS manual
1100 - 4/7/09
3000 - 5/27/09
6000 - 7/17/09
See my Thread in New York Metro Area.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33878
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things
 
Sir Nuke's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Corvette Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southeast of Houston, Texas
Posts: 17,071
GUYS, if you are wanting new tires that will last longer and still be a high performmance tire, what you need to do is to look for tires that have a UTQG rating of about 400 or more, and there are quite a few. The Perilli's are rated at 220.

Uniform Tire Quality Grading (UTQG) Uniform Tire Quality Grading is a relative comparison system. Tires are graded by manufacturers in three areas: treadwear, traction and temperature.
__________________
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
VR Code R6P
 
Drives: 2011 Race Red GT500 w/ SVT Perf Pkg
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: eastern CO
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
GUYS, if you are wanting new tires that will last longer and still be a high performmance tire, what you need to do is to look for tires that have a UTQG rating of about 400 or more, and there are quite a few. The Perilli's are rated at 220.

Uniform Tire Quality Grading (UTQG) Uniform Tire Quality Grading is a relative comparison system. Tires are graded by manufacturers in three areas: treadwear, traction and temperature.
This rating is given as some standard when comparing tires from the same manufacturer. It is not a standard test between all manufacturers. The manufacturer decides the rating. But the number is better than nothing.

Last edited by VR Code R6P; 10-12-2009 at 06:22 PM.
VR Code R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Muffler Rattle / Baffle / Noise Issue - GM Replaced w/Brand New Muffler Embalmer Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 3 10-07-2009 03:07 PM
Can the section around the shifter be replaced (Need Help with part number) Pics DCJ 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 18 08-30-2009 09:19 PM
co-worker cracks windshield, needs to be replaced bob2the2nd 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 07-03-2009 10:41 AM
What stock parts will need to be replaced? ckellyme3 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 33 05-10-2009 11:06 PM
Honda Motor Corp CEO replaced kdbolt70 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 4 02-24-2009 07:22 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.