Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Toyota on the brink of "capitulation to irrelevance or death”

Toyota Head: Toyota is on the brink of "capitulation to irrelevance or death”

Link to article

Hans Greimel - October 2, 2009

TOKYO -- Toyota Motor Corp. President Akio Toyoda said his money-losing automaker is “grasping for salvation” as it struggles to return to profit.

The world's largest car company was once targeting annual sales of 10 million vehicles but now expects sales of 7.3 million this year, down from 8.97 million in 2008, Toyoda said at a news conference here today.

Toyoda, grandson of the automaker's founder, said Toyota is on the brink of “capitulation to irrelevance or death” as he prepares for a second-straight year of substantial financial and unit-sale decreases.

Citing the five stages of corporate decline outlined by Jim Collins, author of How the Mighty Fall, the Toyota chief warned that his company has slumped to stage four.

“We are grasping for salvation,” Toyoda said, adding that the company has already spiraled through the first three stages: Hubris born of success, undisciplined pursuit of more and denial of risk and peril.

“Toyota has become too big and distant from its customers,” the chief executive said.

In the United States, Toyota's sales fell 13 percent in September from a year earlier as the market suffered a sharp letdown after the government-funded cash-for-clunkers program ran out. Total U.S. sales tumbled 23 percent. Toyota is down 28 percent for the year.

Separately, Toyoda called the current dollar-yen rate "very tough," saying the weak U.S. currency made it difficult to return to profit on an unconsolidated level.

"When you get to this level, it makes it difficult to return to profit on sales growth alone," he said.

Toyoda repeated Toyota's aim to return to profit at the parent level "as soon as possible," even as it expects global sales to fall 18 percent from 2008 to 7.34 million vehicles this year. That would leave about 30 percent of its production capacity unused.

Toyoda took the helm in June as the world's biggest automaker faced one of its biggest crises in history amid a global credit crunch and an industrywide sales slump that forced two U.S. automakers into bankruptcy.

For the financial year to March, Toyota has projected a consolidated operating loss of 750 billion yen ($8.4 billion), assuming a dollar rate of 92 yen. It has forecast a parent-only operating loss of 600 billion yen.

Presenting a further challenge, Toyota said this week it would recall 3.8 million Toyota and Lexus models in the United States -- its largest-ever recall -- because of a risk that a loose floor mat could force down the accelerator. The problem is suspected of causing at least one crash that killed four people.

“We would like to pay our deepest condolences for the loss of four precious lives,” Toyoda said. But because an investigation into the problem is still underway, he said he could offer no further details about plans to address the issue.

“Customers who chose Toyota and Lexus cars because those brands are safe and secure are now beset with anxiety. I regret and apologize for this development,” said Toyoda, who took office in June and is the grandson of the company's founder.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
F/U Toyota. With all your damn corollas all over the place like giant cockroaches.

Plus pack up that POS Tundra with all your BS ads you guys made about it.

And thanks for poisoning peoples minds with that retarded Prious. Way to give hippies something new to drive in and give me smug looks while they sit in that little piece of shit.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
I think Toyota's biggest problem is that it doesn't sound like they have much of a plan to get back to being profitable. The article mentioned many problems but no solutions coming from Toyota.
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
4SD FED

Drives: 2010 rs/ss camaro
The strong are the companys that have been sealing with the miss truths about American cars and the loss of market share because of it for years and still around today...( with a little help from everyone(tax payer) in the USA and Canada). Toyota has been dealing with a slow down for less than a year and is almost ready to die.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
The President of Toyota...is Toyoda...
Old 10-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Wonder what all the mags are going to say now...or the news agencies? Seems a year ago they were saying how great Toyota was and why wasn't the Big 3 like them...hmmm?
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
F/U Toyota. With all your damn corollas all over the place like giant cockroaches.

And thanks for poisoning peoples minds with that retarded Prious. Way to give hippies something new to drive in and give me smug looks while they sit in that little piece of shit.
I don't think I could have said it much better myself! Toyota can rot in hell as far as I am concerned. Every time I see someone driving a new Turdra "pickup" or some smug ahole in that worthless tin-can POS Prius, I just laugh and think..."there goes another idiot". If toyota does fail, I will be buying rounds in the local tavern!
Old 10-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
AZCamaroFan
Coming Soon

Drives: Camaros
hahahahahahahahahahaha
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
"Capitulation to irrelevance or death"....

I'd almost like the first choice...so they can suffer trough the rebirth of the American auto Industry!

or not....bye-bye, you shall not be missed!
Old 10-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
rayhawk

Drives: Trailblazer SS
awww.... poor toyota.

07 2WD Trailblazer SS, LS1 E-fans, 4" FWI, pcmforless tune
72 VW Beetle, 2275cc, Dual 44 IDF's
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
SS 376

Drives: IBM 1SS
Capitulation to irrelevance or death... that's a little extreme. There's plenty of lemmings out there who still assume Toyota automatically equals a great product. They would have to put out garbage for years and years to alienate that customer base.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #12
shank0668

Drives: 1998 Sahara
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
Die, Die Die!
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #13
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0
Guys, I know that Toyota is our rival and all, but there are still human beings involved here. If Toyota goes under, several thousands of people will be out of a job, and I don't think we should be wishing that on anyone.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #14
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
I think its all about products...Toyota has nothing really new in the pipeline while both Ford and GM are kicking up some really nice new products. Toyota can't hang everything on the Prius!
MikesZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro, 2012 370Z
the only thing good that came from toyota imo
Attached Images

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #16
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
the only thing good that came from toyota imo
X2
Old 10-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #17
AZCamaroFan
Coming Soon

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
Guys, I know that Toyota is our rival and all, but there are still human beings involved here. If Toyota goes under, several thousands of people will be out of a job, and I don't think we should be wishing that on anyone.
they might be having a hard time too, but i don't think we have to worry about them going under.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Of course...and you are very wise to take notice of that.

However, well over 100,000 US auto workers are out of a job recently, and I'd like to see them put back to work, and our countries manufacturing base reinvigorated Maybe I'm a little cold-hearted....
Old 10-03-2009, 02:32 AM   #19
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed
Quote:
Well, thats just swell, but as far as I am concerned, I would never have taken a job with toyota in the first place. So, it is what it is. No one is ever going to change my mind about the Japanese, as far as I am concerned, they can kiss my ass. Screw all this "let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya together" crap. They started it on December 7, 1941. They are still pissed we beat their ass in 1945. If you don't understand that, you are part of the problem.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:55 AM   #20
AngryAmish

Drives: Impala
Quote:

Not that I don't agree but...

When the B3 were being honest about needing bailouts, I saw ALOT of hate towards their workers. People were quick to throw them under the bus, so I'll be quick to throw these ones under a Prius. I really do feel sorry for them too because there is alot less room under a Prius...
Proud Owner of #168
AngryAmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:19 AM   #21
Thrillz

Drives: 2012 Charger R/T / 2012 Dodge Ram
I drive a drop dead gorgeous 2010 rally yellow 2LT RS to a Toyota plant every day to work. The looks it gets from all those 20 year old employee's buzzing around in there corolla XRS's thinking they have a cool sports car now understand they are driving nothing more then a glorified grocery getter. Someone had to show them what a real car is. God forbid Toyota builds something thats fun to drive.

Last edited by Thrillz; 10-03-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:07 AM   #22
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:

Wow.. You really have some hatred... I guess what I don't like about Toyota is how they knew of this problem long ago and denied it for so long up until this family of four dies.. I hope those in charge of Toyota who kept their mouths shut and silenced anyone who knew of this issue get whats coming to them.. For all those Toyota workers and mechanics all around the globe who don't deserve to be placed in the same pile as those above them in command... Don't keep these issues quiet any longer if you discover them. Speak out and don't let the fear of being fired keep you form saving peoples lives..
Old 10-03-2009, 06:04 AM   #23
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
Toyota is going down the same path as GM did. Got too big, too fat, quality and reliability suffered, big time. They've been selling sub-standard cars on their reputation for almost 25-30 years now, at a premium to their competition. People are gonna figure it out soon enough, and ditch them just like they ditched the big three way back when.

And the fact that Toyota watched this happen to the big three while they overtook them, and did the exact same thing, means they as a company deserve to die. Let capitalism work its magic, as best it can in this situation.
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #24
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
Toyota design = tasteless cookie cutter. I don't even like the Supra. They are all boring. The Prius is the absolute ugliest car on the road, then that Honda Element and finally the Cube...blah.
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #25
Thrillz

Drives: 2012 Charger R/T / 2012 Dodge Ram
Quote:

I have to admit i laughed pretty hard reading that one
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote