Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2009, 04:42 AM   #1
Epitaph
Custom User Title
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 550
4wd car

I've been thinking, boy, wouldn't it be nice to have a CAR with 4wd and a bit of power? Especially for driving in the snow (I know you don't want an assload of power driving in it, but you want it when you're not driving in it). I started looking at sites of the big 3.

Chevy? Nope.
Dodge? The ugly ass Avenger
Ford? Taurus(365hp). (Dang that car is hideous from the back).

The car that I used to LOVE (and still do) is the 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi. The only thing keeping me from buying one of these one day, is the economy.

Just a little rant - so, if you work for Ford/GM/Dodge, make a 4wd car that has lotsa power & is pretty.

Yes, I know they aren't listening.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 32,058
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
GM EpII platform has the capability for AWD.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
lil_chef
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,823
dodge also has the Charger with AWD, and the 300.

but if that was the market i was shopping in i would probably consider the EVOX. considering the lack of Domestic support i wouldnt feel bad buying it
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
manimsoblack

 
manimsoblack's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bradenton/Ruskin FL
Posts: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
dodge also has the Charger with AWD, and the 300.

but if that was the market i was shopping in i would probably consider the EVOX. considering the lack of Domestic support i wouldnt feel bad buying it
one of my fav cars
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
You take a shit on everything fun and good on this forum.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
FNKNSTN
Banned
 
Drives: A Black Car
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 818
Yeah it would be cool, but you'd be more likely to get it stuck with such low clearance... unlike a nice 4WD truck.

And you wouldn't get the performance of a nice Camaro SS.
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
Epitaph
Custom User Title
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 550
I didn't know the Charger was AWD!(obviously) I was searching for over an hour on google before I posted this, even went to the sites to try to find how to narrow it down to 4wd/awd, only chevy would let me.

EVOX is a pretty sweet car...I did consider that one as well. My only problem is how ricey it looks. Just my opinion of the car.

Thanks for the input
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!
 
THUMPER20X's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Great Red North
Posts: 1,864
AWD u cant beat Subaru. I had an 04 STi and it was the bomb. I would still have it if it wasnt for this pesky 5th gen.
__________________
THUMPER20X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
a_Username


 
a_Username's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 3,893
If you're looking for an AWD get the Evo X.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
1320junkie
Account Suspended
 
Drives: The Imperial Army
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Darkside
Posts: 15,898
AWD in the snow...here ya go
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
meanmike
Account Suspended
 
Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,170
Sorry Suburu =
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,927
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
4wd.... or Awd?

I love my ford, dodge, and chevy 4wd vehicles...

98 ford f150, 99 dodge durango slt, and 08 chevy silverado. lmao
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #12
lil_chef
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
AWD in the snow...here ya go
are you the one driving in the video?
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
a_Username


 
a_Username's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 3,893
You could buy a 4WD Duramax?!
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #14
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,306
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Subaru does make a great machine with their extraordinary AWD and rally cars, but let's also add to the equation the lacking quality and workmanship of a Japanese import. It's been a long time since the days of those awful domestics, and those days have been replaced by even worse imports. Take, for instance, my Impreza. The door handle detached from the driver's side while opening the door. I can't open it from the outside at all, so I have to enter the awkwardly shaped interior from the passenger side, step over the ugly center console, and seat myself behind the average-looking dash. As I look to the clock for the time, I am reminded that the display doesn't work. The radio was a failing piece of equipment tens of thousands of miles ago, so I swapped an aftermarket unit. The audio features impressive bass for an otherwise weakly constructed vehicle.

Mine is a 2002 Impreza TS, and I know that the WRX and STi both have substantial improvements over my trim in every area from performance to styling, but workmanship did not change. The same guy who put a poorly built door handle on my car probably put the same handle on that prettier, faster STi. The only component of this car that I truly trust to last is the superior AWD. Expect to spend some money bringing the rest of the car up to par.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:48 PM   #15
ToddSS
ZZ Motorsports Sales Rep
 
ToddSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: moving to Texas
Posts: 149
I love my Trailblazer SS AWD! It gets through the snow and hauls more then the kids.
ToddSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:02 AM   #16
manimsoblack

 
manimsoblack's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bradenton/Ruskin FL
Posts: 1,244
the X has a snow setting.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
You take a shit on everything fun and good on this forum.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:12 AM   #17
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended
 
Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Right Here
Posts: 978
There is a BIG difference between 4WD and AWD.....
All-Or-Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:29 AM   #18
manimsoblack

 
manimsoblack's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bradenton/Ruskin FL
Posts: 1,244
True I was thinking he meant AWD? Clarify OP?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
You take a shit on everything fun and good on this forum.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:01 AM   #19
Epitaph
Custom User Title
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 550
I'd like to get a 4wd car, but I would settle for an awd car.

My understanding is that you can control high/low in a 4wd vehicle, correct?

And I don't care if I can switch back/forth between 2wd/4wd.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #20
patriotpa
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Posts: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNKNSTN View Post
Yeah it would be cool, but you'd be more likely to get it stuck with such low clearance... unlike a nice 4WD truck.

And you wouldn't get the performance of a nice Camaro SS.


Muscle for summer, 4x4 truck for winter. The Silverado has LOADS of power, a decent ride, ground clearance and 4x4.

To go "all-purpose" you give up some things. Dedicated vehicles are the way to go.

patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #21
MCPOAJ
 
Drives: NOTHING
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NE.
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Subaru does make a great machine with their extraordinary AWD and rally cars, but let's also add to the equation the lacking quality and workmanship of a Japanese import. It's been a long time since the days of those awful domestics, and those days have been replaced by even worse imports. Take, for instance, my Impreza. The door handle detached from the driver's side while opening the door. I can't open it from the outside at all, so I have to enter the awkwardly shaped interior from the passenger side, step over the ugly center console, and seat myself behind the average-looking dash. As I look to the clock for the time, I am reminded that the display doesn't work. The radio was a failing piece of equipment tens of thousands of miles ago, so I swapped an aftermarket unit. The audio features impressive bass for an otherwise weakly constructed vehicle.

Mine is a 2002 Impreza TS, and I know that the WRX and STi both have substantial improvements over my trim in every area from performance to styling, but workmanship did not change. The same guy who put a poorly built door handle on my car probably put the same handle on that prettier, faster STi. The only component of this car that I truly trust to last is the superior AWD. Expect to spend some money bringing the rest of the car up to par.
Chevy should get into rally and they need a AWD car.

And how much would you be willing to sell your impreza for?? lol i need a rally project
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #22
a_Username


 
a_Username's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post


Muscle for summer, 4x4 truck for winter. The Silverado has LOADS of power, a decent ride, ground clearance and 4x4.

To go "all-purpose" you give up some things. Dedicated vehicles are the way to go.

You get a duramax put into those Silverados too and you have another drag vehicle to play with. Just tuning them would match up to the Camaro's stats.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #23
patriotpa
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Posts: 1,967
There are some 10sec diesel Silverados out there.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:53 AM   #24
Teddydog
 
Teddydog's Avatar
 
Drives: ABM 2LT M6 RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dupont, WA
Posts: 389
When we found out we were having our first baby in 2006, we went looking for a roomy AWD car for my wife. We didn't want an SUV or mini-van. We bought a VW Passat 4Motion wagon. Love the car. Couldn't find a suitable US-made alternative.

Rob
Teddydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Washing/Detailing for Newbies MRK III Z28 Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection 116 12-12-2014 06:21 AM
Winner, winner - Jalopnik compares the Big 3 Number 3 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 31 04-17-2011 04:24 PM
What's considered a Muscle Car? SyN General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 125 09-25-2010 01:04 AM
Sports Car???? Eduk8r 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 50 09-21-2009 03:31 AM
Why you can't buy a new car directly from the manufacturer scotchsride09 Off-topic Discussions 13 02-14-2009 06:15 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.