Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 10-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #26
ClutchKargo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 RJT
I just took mine in today with 530 miles on it. The service advisor was in total agreement with me to change it early. He said if it was his car he'd do the same thing.

He also went on to say that there was some kind of issue on one of the other models in the chevy line up and one of the things they were told to do was encourage people to do an early oil change. I can't remember what model it was but I think it was one of the mid level SUV's.

Bottom line he was in total agreement that it was smart and good insurance to change it early.
ClutchKargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #27
baby02
EYE CANDY

Drives: 1SS RS ABM
MY SERVICE REP SAID THE OIL IS CHANGED 3 TIMES BY THE TIME WE RECEIVE THE CAR, THERFORE, THERE IS NO NEED TO CHANGE EARLY. SORRY FOR THE LARGE TYPE.
baby02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #28
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTS View Post
Did Chevrolet forget to put an oil filter on your engine? If there were metal shaving in the oil the filter would remove them.

You can change your oil ever 500 miles but that is not going to make it run any better or last any longer than if you changed it every 5,000 miles.

There is a very good chance the oil you are removing is better even with 5,000 miles on it than the oil you are replacing it with.
there are a few threads out here with pictures from people who have changed their oil at ~500 miles or even less with metal shavings in the oil.... not in the filter. oil filters arent 100% perfect. neither is oil. which is why it needs to be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcmc View Post
I agree. The filter is there for a reason. Let it do it's job. My dealer and mechanic both said you are wasting money changing it so soon.
your dealer probably told you that putting 91 octane in the SS is a waste of money as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul SS View Post
This isn't 1965, oil is better, oil filters are better. Any shavings should end up in the oil filter. I don't get all this talk of shavings on the dipstick and in the oil drained out of the crankcase. Cut your used filter open if you want to see what's going on. I am still undecided on when I will do my first oil change.
do it around 1500 miles. then reset the OLMS and do it whenever the computer tells you to.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #29
69 rs/ss

Drives: 1969 rs/ss & 2010 L99 #3747 4/28/09
I changed the filter at 1,500 and the oil at 3,000
69 rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #30
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
Call me old school but im doing the same as I did when I used to build engines. Change the break in oil out at or around 1000 miles. Early or not, its a good piece of mind.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #31
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertrj View Post
Dealer told me wait til the oil change light comes on
Check to see if the dealer is the one making the payments on your car
Better to do it too early than too late, you only get one chance to break her in cleanly.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:53 PM   #32
hamidar05

Drives: 10 Camaro/69 Bronco/08 Mazda3
Proof in the pudding... yeah pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTS View Post
Did Chevrolet forget to put an oil filter on your engine? If there were metal shaving in the oil the filter would remove them.

You can change your oil ever 500 miles but that is not going to make it run any better or last any longer than if you changed it every 5,000 miles.

There is a very good chance the oil you are removing is better even with 5,000 miles on it than the oil you are replacing it with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcmc View Post
I agree. The filter is there for a reason. Let it do it's job. My dealer and mechanic both said you are wasting money changing it so soon.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47882

The color alone says change it... nuff said
VIN# 34612
Bitchin Camaro - Dead Milkmen - http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/8092
Thank You Oshawa - Domo arigato Mr. Roboto
~1600 mi so far - 07/18/10
hamidar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #33
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamidar05 View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47882

The color alone says change it... nuff said
The color alone is not an indicative sign of bad or worn oil. As an example, during an oil change, I noticed after 3800 miles, the Pennzoil Platinum was ugly...in fact, butt ugly. This was the first time I used Blackstone Labs for my oil analysis. I had 45k on the odometer on a 98 Trans Am. Anyhow, after I got my TBN report, I had another estimated 3-4k left on the oil. Each analysis is specific to each car and based on particular driving conditions. Poor gas, city driving, excessive idling, poor additive packages, dusty environments will all have an impact on oil change frequency. If you want to get a baseline, do a few oil analysis with TBN ($30) or trust your OLI after a few oil changes prior to 3-4k, then use the OLI.

The oil can be black, but thats the oil properties intended purpose, especially synthetic.

Alot of guys no matter what engine they are running use Blackstone Labs and I for one trust their analysis and results.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote