Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 10-06-2009, 03:22 AM   #1
F N MUSCLE

Drives: Black 1SS/RS, manual
Can't Trust Anyone!!!

So I just came up on 1,000 miles last week. Had to get the HVAC system updated, the one-way valve that caused the gurgling noise behind the passenger side dash, and an oil change. So they kept it over night since the valve came late. When I picked it up the next day everything seemed cool and it drove fine. When I got home, I let the car cool down for an hour or so then checked the oil just because I'm paranoid. The oil level seemed way low to me, so I called the dealer. You would think that a dealership would be able to get this right. I asked how much oil they normally throw in to our cars. I know its 8.8 qts and they said yeah thats how much it should have. They told me to bring it back in just to be sure.

Point of the story..........Some jackass only put 6 qts into it and they had to add two extra qts. It just pisses me off because if I would have not checked right when I got home, who knows what could have happened later on. Am I wrong? I think a GM dealership should know this crap. They have been very cool about everything, but this was just stupid. I suggest that those of you who tend to be too trusting of people and the work they do to your car, double-check!!! I know that most people do, especially with these cars, but ya just can't trust anyone. Doin my own oil changes from here on out. Just had to get the first free one.
F N MUSCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
MI2010Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by F N MUSCLE View Post
I suggest that those of you who tend to be too trusting of people and the work they do to your car, double-check!!! I know that most people do, especially with these cars, but ya just can't trust anyone. Doin my own oil changes from here on out. Just had to get the first free one.

A set of ramps. A drain pan that can contain 8+ quarts. Some Mobil 1 and an oil filter of your choice and you're done. The SS is super easy because the oil filter is right next to the drain plug. Point of caution . . . the oil pan appears to be aluminum . . . be careful tightening the drain plug!
#143575 Delivered 9/14/09
MI2010Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
Should of told them you wanted a tech, NOT luber kid to do it. Always check your oil after an oil change! Why put trust in someone that possibly doesn't care? Really, how much do these kids really care. Its a crap job.
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
bono83

Drives: 1969 Chevelle, 2010 1LT
That's exactly why I do whatever I can myself. What an inexcusable mistake. How hard is it to check the oil after they fill it up and make sure the right amount is in there? Pure laziness!
bono83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
EdRedCamaro2
4BC Motorsports

Drives: 95 Camaro, 10 1SS
So much for the "free" oil change, eh? That really sucks, but look at the good side:
(a) you took a moment to check their work,
(b) at least you had six quarts and not four, and the flunky remembered to replace the drain plug.

I used to think it was a time-saver to have the dealer change the oil and look things over. It's stories like this that motivate me to do it myself again.
Arrived 9/24/09

"In racing, they say that your car goes where your eyes go...I know it's true; racing doesn't lie" The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
EdRedCamaro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Was it RYDELL AUTOMOTIVE GROUP? and that is why i do my oil change
Old 10-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
JewelZ
Just Lovin' My Camaro!

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS/AUTO
don't we have oil life sensors that will detect the content of the oil for us in the DIC?!

NJHKKM $29,965.00 1EH37 1100 03/28/2009 AFF, B34, DCP, FE9, GBV, LLT, MX0, SGC, UQA, WRS, 2LT

50 YEARS FROM NOW, DON'T YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK AND SAY YOU HAD THE GUTS TO GET INTO THE CAR!?!?

ORDER STATUS : 6000 as of 08.18.2009. VIN# 33,985!!! His name is 'GOLIATH'!!!

GOT MY CAR!!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!
JewelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #8
mamaro

Drives: '10 IOM 2LT/RS M6
I had a similar issue with my first oil change at the Chevy dealer. Put in the wrong weight oil, and a quart short.

I had the same thought. You would think the GM dealership would get it right.
mamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #9
F N MUSCLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Was it RYDELL AUTOMOTIVE GROUP? and that is why i do my oil change
Yup!!! They were fantastic through the ordering process, but this crap was rediculous.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #10
F N MUSCLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelZ View Post
don't we have oil life sensors that will detect the content of the oil for us in the DIC?!
Yeah we do. The only thing was that I wanted to get any possible metal shavings out from the break in period. Rather be safe than sorry.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #11
97one

Drives: 1LT RS w/polished 19"rims
Here's more...........

[QUOTE=FFPM73;996393] I will never have nor spend $$$$ for somebody else to change the oil. I have trust issues with dealers and private oil changing companies. Case n Point, buddy of mine bought a brand new Z06, wanted oil changed at 1000 miles.....My buddy signs and dates oil filter and marks drain plugs with grease marker.........$140.00 later at dealer, comes home and wouldn't you know it, filter was NEVER changed and the mark on drain plug not broke......SCAM!!!!!!! I truly believe, if you want something done right, DO IT YOURSELF!!!!! The dealer and anybody else DOESN'T care about your car, the condition it is in, nor do they care if something happens to it.

The above happened to me many, years ago, I have never had anyone change my oil & filter since, & this is my 97 th.car. I have turned down Free Dealer oil changes many times.
I have Heard too many stories from friends,family etc. like:Stripping drain plug,not changing filt.,leaking oil from drain plug or filter not tight enough, etc.etc.

It is much easier to change your own oil then depend on someone that may not give a shit about what he's doing !

NOBODY cares about your car like you do !!!

97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #12
F N MUSCLE

Amen brother! Ain't that the truth. All my buddies at work were hastlin me when I told them that it took me 7 hours to wash and polish my car using Zaino. They were just like why don't you get some hot chicks to wash it for you. Nope!!! They'll scratch it. Lol. Like you said....Nobody cares about the car like I do. And I think the same goes for everyone on this forum. No more free oil changes for me! DIY.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:04 AM   #13
EdRedCamaro2
4BC Motorsports

Drives: 95 Camaro, 10 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97one View Post

It is much easier to change your own oil then depend on someone that may not give a shit about what he's doing !

NOBODY cares about your car like you do !!!

My feelings exactly! Very well said!
I was at large regional grocery/everything else store on Thursday and found the 4-Qt jugs of Mobil-1 5W-30 on sale for $19.99. Bought a bunch, not like it will go bad. DIY if you truly LOVE your car.
Arrived 9/24/09

"In racing, they say that your car goes where your eyes go...I know it's true; racing doesn't lie" The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
EdRedCamaro2 is offline   Reply With Quote