Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Meister@Torq

Drives: 2001 Crown Vic
Send a message via AIM to Meister@Torq Send a message via MSN to Meister@Torq
SCT .vs. HP Tuners .vs. Diablo .vs. EFI Live??

Just checking in to see what everyone here uses, what they prefer to use and why. The obvious benefits of Diablo and SCT are that you have a handheld device that can store multiple programs as well as return the PCM back to stock if you ever need to (taking it into the dealer, etc)

SCT's new GM software is easily on par if not better than HPT and EFI Live and the SCT flash tool is equal to or greater than Diablo.

Discuss.....
Meister@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Meister@Torq

42 views and not one response??
Old 10-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS/M6
this stuff is mostly over my head...but the guy that tuned my car prefers EFI Live.

My preference is to let a pro deal with it...rather than get a "canned tune" in a handheld tuner. If I need to go back to stock, that's not a problem.

NY5thgen.com
POWERFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
2Tightwads
Banned

Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
SCT/Diablo are in my opinion the best for Ford/Dodge/Chrysler applications. Hp Tuners/EFI Live are the best for GM. The handhelds don't hold a candle to the pro suites software. Not even close. The options you mentioned above are shared among all of them really, (i.e. stock tune swapable). I recommend Hp Tuners over any of the other mentioned. Ask around and I think you will see more Pro Tuner Shops are using it over the others you mentioned...atleast for GM applications.
2Tightwads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister@Torq View Post
42 views and not one response??
I responded somehow it didn't post though

FYI, the Dealers can tell if you car has been reprogrammed, when and how many times, so don't be fooled.

I use HP Tuners and Diablo for GM.

I use SCT and Diablo for Ford and Chrysler.

I am fine with any of them.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
99-LS1-SS
Waiting...

Drives: 2009 G8 GXP M6
I'm learning HP Tuners right now. It's a steep learning curve though.
Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms and toe rods
Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
Mod007

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
Diablo for me because you can store as many as 5 tunes one for the street one for the track and the others..... I don't know but it's good to know their there.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
99-LS1-SS
Waiting...

Drives: 2009 G8 GXP M6
Is Diablo software as or more versatile than HP Tuners?
Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms and toe rods
Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
Meister@Torq

I am asking for a good reason and I think there is a lot of misleading info or misconception here. Firstly, using a handheld does not mean you can not get a custom tune and use those on a handheld.

I am a "pro tuner" and I am one of SCTs oldest tuners, and beta testers. I have always used EFI live and HP tuners for my GM calibrations because it used to be far superior to anything available.....until SCT re-released their GM software for the newer PCM GM vehicles that includes just as many parameters if not more than the other including on par or superior datalogging. Now you have a software capable of EVERYTHING hptuners and efi can do PLUS you get to put those tunes onto a handheld (these are not canned tunes). The handheld can hold 3 tune files and you can go back to stock.

The main question is to a consumer...would you use/want SCT if your "pro tuner" suggests it or is it too new or untested to compete with the likes of HPT or EFI Live.....what about paying extra to get the handheld that can hold 3 custom tunes plus the stock tune??
Old 10-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
Meister@Torq

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I responded somehow it didn't post though

FYI, the Dealers can tell if you car has been reprogrammed, when and how many times, so don't be fooled.

I use HP Tuners and Diablo for GM.

I use SCT and Diablo for Ford and Chrysler.

I am fine with any of them.
Not sure I ever asked about dealers being able to detect if the car was tuned but I appreciate the post. I use Diablo for DCX, SCT for Ford, I used to use EFI Live and HPT for GM but leaning towards SCT for our new Camaro
Old 10-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #11
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I want to buy a Tuner, but I have to learn more about how many upgrades it will let me do.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #12
Meister@Torq

When you say upgrades, please clarify. A device like the SCT Xcalibrator can be locked to a vehicle and unlocked up to 5 times, hold up to 3 tunes at 1 time (you can have many more saved to your computer and changed between them). In terms of upgrades, a custom tune on a handheld is no different than a custom tune using a direct flash like HPT, etc so the upgrades would not be limited
Old 10-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister@Torq View Post
Not sure I ever asked about dealers being able to detect if the car was tuned but I appreciate the post. I use Diablo for DCX, SCT for Ford, I used to use EFI Live and HPT for GM but leaning towards SCT for our new Camaro
Sorry that part was for Powerfreak.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
Performance Parts
Old 10-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
2Tightwads
Banned

Hp Tuners FTW I promise you. Just FYI, My small format laptop holds a hell of alot more tunes than (3) at a time. I also can scan without the laptop even connected for multiple runs 30min. at a time if needed, store/save the data inside my Hp Tuners VCM hardware, and upload to my laptop at a later date for viewing.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
Meister@Torq

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tightwads View Post
Hp Tuners FTW I promise you. Just FYI, My small format laptop holds a hell of alot more tunes than (3) at a time. I also can scan without the laptop even connected for multiple runs 30min. at a time if needed, store/save the data inside my Hp Tuners VCM hardware, and upload to my laptop at a later date for viewing.
I am mainly asking these questions for a normal enthusiast/retail based customer as to what they would prefer to be tuned with or would they enjoy having a handheld. I own a shop and I know what each software can or cannot do. You can also datalog with an Xcal and keep unlimited tunes on a laptop, and 3 on the device.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
2Tightwads
Banned

My normal enthusiasts or retail based customers are buying a 2010 Camaro Hypertech handheld tuner (Retail $513, our price $308)...Several have already inquired so I'm basing this off my experience. Majority even after talking at length with them wouldn't even tackle the idea of trying to understand the intricousy of an advanced handheld device described previously nor a pro tuning software suite.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #17
Meister@Torq

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tightwads View Post
My normal enthusiasts or retail based customers are buying a 2010 Camaro Hypertech handheld tuner (Retail $513, our price $308)...Several have already inquired so I'm basing this off my experience. Majority even after talking at length with them wouldn't even tackle the idea of trying to understand the intricousy of an advanced handheld device described previously nor a pro tuning software suite.
Why would you not want to put your CUSTOM TUNES on a handheld device like an Xcal and sell it to them rather than a hypertech that would make more power and have better drivability (depending on your tunes).

The intricacy of an advanced hand held? For basic operations of uploading a tune, or changing between tunes is so simple a child could do it. I am not mentioning them needing to know how to tune a car or want to. Those people can and will buy their own HPT or SCT Pro-Racer and tune the car themselves. I am talking about a customer who buys a cold air and exhaust and wants a tune..it is nice to have the handheld to go back to stock if needed, hold multiple tunes, etc. If you have a forced induction car the tuner can hold tunes for multiple octane settings, boost levels, etc. So to clarify, I am not asking those who would tune their own car with a software, it is directed to those who buy parts, get their cars tuned by a professional, etc
Old 10-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #18
2Tightwads
Banned

Haven't seen SCT's GM software. Do tell? More about it in comparison to HP Tuners. Listening.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #19
Meister@Torq

Their software was recently updated and has everything HPT and EFI live has. The datalogger offers everything they do as well except histograms, which is a weak point but they are working on them as we speak.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #20
69lt1bird

Drives: 1969 Pontiac Firebid
Well their website needs some serious work, it is terrible to navigate.

This thread sounds more like a sales pitch than actual useful information. They have a very limited number of vehicles and I willing to bet that the support/community is very small.
We need real examples of how it is equal to or better than the big two. Handhelds don't count, real tuning software only.

Michigan Snowmobiler
1969 Firebird: 7.55@97.93 1/8 1.70 60 ft.[/COLOR] EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me
69lt1bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:22 AM   #21
joerod97
Chevy Man

Drives: 2010 2ss -black/black
where can i get an hp tuner
joerod97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:52 AM   #22
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod97 View Post
where can i get an hp tuner
www.hptuners.com
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
Performance Parts
Old 10-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #23
xSSkier874
C5Fest IV CamaroX champ

Drives: 11 Corvette Z06/Z07
Send a message via AIM to xSSkier874
HPT FTW!! I'd probably just say im more biased do to the fact it was the only tuning for the cobalt so it's what i learned on. But share tunes on their website, Very user friendly even if you new or a pro when it comes to tuning. You can save as many tunes on as many cars as you would like as long as you have room on you hard drive. I think i have about 10 from the cobalt from all my different supercharger pulls and now different boost levels with the turbo. Plus you can use it on pretty much any GM from 01-present.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #24
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
From what I understand GM has no way of telling how many times the ECM has been flashed nor can they log milage between tunes. There is no counter in the ECM, everytime the power is disconnected everything clears. The only thing GM can do is track the log number (CVN?) to tell the ECM has been reflashed, but there are some handhelds that can defeat this. So it is very good to know that I can upload a custom tune via handheld and GM will never know as long as I go into the dealer with the stock tune. I can customize the tune on my computer just like anyone does with HP/EFI and load it undetectably with the handheld.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #25
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
From what I understand GM has no way of telling how many times the ECM has been flashed nor can they log milage between tunes. There is no counter in the ECM, everytime the power is disconnected everything clears. The only thing GM can do is track the log number (CVN?) to tell the ECM has been reflashed, but there are some handhelds that can defeat this. So it is very good to know that I can upload a custom tune via handheld and GM will never know as long as I go into the dealer with the stock tune. I can customize the tune on my computer just like anyone does with HP/EFI and load it undetectably with the handheld.
Since 2006 GM has installed Tracking software in the computers for just this reason.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
Performance Parts