Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 10-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
Master1545
off to never never land!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Oil changes at dealership

I'm not sure if this was covered in another post or not. I was talking to a friend of mine and we were talking about oil changes. I told him that I'm not sure what oil to put in my car and he said its best to have the dealership do the oil changes. I told him that I did not choose that option when I bought the car and he said that you have to have the dealership do the oil changes and maintenance because if something happens to the car and they see that you have done your own maintenance to the car, they will not fix it. Is this true?
Master1545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
jolusk

Drives: 2010 Black 2LT RS... soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master1545 View Post
I'm not sure if this was covered in another post or not. I was talking to a friend of mine and we were talking about oil changes. I told him that I'm not sure what oil to put in my car and he said its best to have the dealership do the oil changes. I told him that I did not choose that option when I bought the car and he said that you have to have the dealership do the oil changes and maintenance because if something happens to the car and they see that you have done your own maintenance to the car, they will not fix it. Is this true?
How would the dealership know if you did your own oil change or if you took it to the local Jiffy Lube, etc. and had them do it? And really if you are worried about messing up an oil change then don't even open the hood unless it is at the dealer. No offense to anyone but if you are not comfortable and are not 100% sure what you are doing don't take a chance. Ask someone that knows or take it somewhere. An oil change is easy and all the information on oil weights/volumes are in the manual and all over the forum. For me personally most of the time it is just more convienient to let someone else deal with the mess and recylcling of the oil because they have the facilities to deal with it.
3300 = Scheduled For Production - 10/12/2009
3400 = Broadcast - 10/27/2009
3800 = Produced - 10/30/2009
4150 = Invoiced
4200 = Shipped 10/30/2009
5000 = Delivered To Dealer 11/10/2009
6000 = Delivered To Customer 11/11/2009
jolusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
glambert1
HOMER

Drives: 2010 camaro 2LT RS SIM
no oil changes dont constitute working on your car I don't believe a dealer would be able to get away with denying coverage due to that my dealer did my first one for free, I plan on having my dealer do all my oil changes . I do trust them , I used to take my cars anywhere but this time with this car I just want to keep everything documented by the dealer
Old 10-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
Master1545
off to never never land!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolusk View Post
How would the dealership know if you did your own oil change or if you took it to the local Jiffy Lube, etc. and had them do it? And really if you are worried about messing up an oil change then don't even open the hood unless it is at the dealer. No offense to anyone but if you are not comfortable and are not 100% sure what you are doing don't take a chance. Ask someone that knows or take it somewhere. An oil change is easy and all the information on oil weights/volumes are in the manual and all over the forum. For me personally most of the time it is just more convienient to let someone else deal with the mess and recylcling of the oil because they have the facilities to deal with it.
I know how to do an oil change. I just did not want my dealership to come back to me saying that they can't fix my car if something does change due to me performing my own maintenance on it. I did not get the maintenance package when purchasing my car because I figure I can do my own and it will be cheaper than having them do it. I'll have to ask my dealer how much it would cost and compare.
Master1545 is offline   Reply With Quote