Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: A Mountain Road
Posts: 7,022
WHAT IF.....................................

What if the Z/28 is a road course/track oriented package with Z/28 badging, Z/28 specific aero, interior, suspension, wheels/tires, brakes, ect, but only a few HP tweaks to the 6.2?

Who would by this TRACK Camaro? And why.

Who would not? And why?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,283
That would work for me.... Save the SC for a ZR1 type monster.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 28,177
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
What if the Z/28 is a road course/track oriented package with Z/28 badging, Z/28 specific aero, interior, suspension, wheels/tires, brakes, ect, but only a few HP tweaks to the 6.2?

Who would by this TRACK Camaro? And why.

Who would not? And why?
Hard to say. I would buy it simply because I'm going to buy the Z28, no matter what it is. But I think if they would take the car that far...just swap the engine.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
AngryAmish

 
AngryAmish's Avatar
 
Drives: Impala
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Posts: 813
Not that I wouldn't appreciate a track Camaro, but I wouldn't buy it. My thoughts are I can get an aftermarket Pedders installed that would most likely perform better. Getting a Z28 with a better engine in the long run would save me a Brinks truck worth of money.

All speculation though. I don't plan on getting a Z28 regardless. And the bottom line is I'll just be happy we have a Z, no matter what it is.
__________________
Proud Owner of #168
AngryAmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: A Mountain Road
Posts: 7,022
I'm hoping more and more it's just like the original Z. I don't want to spend $50,000.+ on the car I've always wanted. 450HP is really enough for me. I want a car that pivots gracefully on its center. One that handles with the best out there.
I can use that kind of performance everyday! 550HP+ just can't be used regularly enough!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
bolteon593

 
Drives: 2011 GT500
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: southern california
Posts: 902
because why would you have 4 models?


a v6, a mid v8 (ss) then a track pack v8 (z28) and then eventually a monster v8.


i'm 99% sure that there isn't enough of a market to have so specific a model in between the monster and the base ss.
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
because why would you have 4 models?


a v6, a mid v8 (ss) then a track pack v8 (z28) and then eventually a monster v8.


i'm 99% sure that there isn't enough of a market to have so specific a model in between the monster and the base ss.
Ford has like 1,217 models of the mustang..... This year alone! j/k

But on a serious note... I think it makes perfect sense! There are people who would like a little more performance than the SS but dont want to fork out for a 50-55 thousand dollar monster..... I think the middle ground would be a good seller. JMHO
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: A Mountain Road
Posts: 7,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
Ford has like 1,217 models of the mustang..... This year alone! j/k

But on a serious note... I think it makes perfect sense! There are people who would like a little more performance than the SS but dont want to fork out for a 50-55 thousand dollar monster..... I think the middle ground would be a good seller. JMHO
It's 1,218!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: A Mountain Road
Posts: 7,022
I just looked up info on the much desired 1969 Z28, and it was $458. over the BASE Camaro (6 cyl.). That made it a 16.8% bump for the option.
In todays $ it would be around $5,000. on the base SS/1, or around $36,000 ($40,000. SS/2).
They would sell a ton of them at that price.

You want more buy the COPO or ZL/1.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 28,177
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I just looked up info on the much desired 1969 Z28, and it was $458. over the BASE Camaro (6 cyl.). That made it a 16.8% bump for the option.
In todays $ it would be around $5,000. on the base SS/1, or around $36,000 ($40,000. SS/2).
They would sell a ton of them at that price.
Would they? As much as I appreciate heritage, If a new model is uncompetitive with other cars like the GT500 (which anything minus an engine upgrade would be)...I would fear for sales. Besides...outside of the first gen, the Z28 has meant anything from "entry level V8" (in the 4th gens), to "top-of-the-line" (in the second/some third gens).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
You want more buy the COPO or ZL/1.
Neither of which will be produced again in the near future by GM. :(

The SS will need some additional "options" to fill the gap between a base, and Z28 Camaro, but I really believe the Z28 needs equipment that would place it in the $45k range.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: A Mountain Road
Posts: 7,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Would they? As much as I appreciate heritage, If a new model is uncompetitive with other cars like the GT500 (which anything minus an engine upgrade would be)...I would fear for sales. Besides...outside of the first gen, the Z28 has meant anything from "entry level V8" (in the 4th gens), to "top-of-the-line" (in some of the second gens).

Neither of which will be produced again in the near future by GM. :(

The SS will need some additional "options" to fill the gap between a base, and Z28 Camaro, but I really believe the Z28 needs equipment that would place it in the $45k range.
Guys the Z/28 competed against the Boss Mustang not the Shelby Mustang.
The Shelby was after the Vette and still is (they don't stand a chance). I believe there is a badder (than the Z/28) Camaro coming.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 28,177
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Guys the Z/28 competed against the Boss Mustang not the Shelby Mustang.
The Shelby was after the Vette and still is (they don't stand a chance).
Lemme post this to you:
What does a Z/28 need to compete against...today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I believe there is a badder (than the Z/28) Camaro coming.
I wouldn't count on it. With CAFE standards, and performance cars coming for other brands...they can't give the Camaro many more performance models...
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #13
qbert48

 
qbert48's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS SIM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: texas panhandle BFE
Posts: 1,128
i don't see that with a double dip recession on the way
__________________
2SS RS SIM gray leather stick shift ground FX
thank you gary richards @ classic chevy in sugarland

welcome home
1100 4-27-09
6000 6-27-09


yes i got to the dance late don't hate me
qbert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
That would work for me.... Save the SC for a ZL1 type monster.
Fixed
__________________
I am seriously never serious vv V vv Next order of business
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.