Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
shad2009
"Cassie"
 
shad2009's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,153
Send a message via AIM to shad2009 Send a message via Yahoo to shad2009
best product

i've seen countless threads of different products to use for washing, waxing and all that fun stuff, just wanted to kno what the BEST one is to use, and how long after i get the car should i wash it? i'm gonna b getting it around april so it'll b just in time for the sun
__________________
Currently driving - 2007 Mustang GT

Future Wheels - 2014 Ford Mustang GT & 2014 Chevy Camaro
shad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Moose
Moderator
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newtown, Pa.
Posts: 4,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad2009 View Post
i've seen countless threads of different products to use for washing, waxing and all that fun stuff, just wanted to kno what the BEST one is to use, and how long after i get the car should i wash it? i'm gonna b getting it around april so it'll b just in time for the sun
You're going to get alot of opinions and options.

Do you want something you can purchase "over the counter"? Is ordering by mail a problem? How much time do you want to devote? Is quality your top priority?

If you'll read this section, you'll get a good idea of where I stand.

The best advice I have is to consider the questions and decide for yourself. There are alot of good products available. You have to decide which one works best FOR YOU.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
shad2009
"Cassie"
 
shad2009's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,153
Send a message via AIM to shad2009 Send a message via Yahoo to shad2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
You're going to get alot of opinions and options.

Do you want something you can purchase "over the counter"? Is ordering by mail a problem? How much time do you want to devote? Is quality your top priority?

If you'll read this section, you'll get a good idea of where I stand.

The best advice I have is to consider the questions and decide for yourself. There are alot of good products available. You have to decide which one works best FOR YOU.

Ed

mailing isnt a problem, especially if im gettin the best quality...so there answers the quality question lol...i'll devote as much time as it takes to keep her lookin beautiful...how often do ppl usually wash their cars? i wanna do EVERYTHING right with her, since i'm spendin alotta cash ya kno lol
__________________
Currently driving - 2007 Mustang GT

Future Wheels - 2014 Ford Mustang GT & 2014 Chevy Camaro
shad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
Chris@glimmerglass
 
Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 207
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad2009 View Post
mailing isnt a problem, especially if im gettin the best quality...so there answers the quality question lol...i'll devote as much time as it takes to keep her lookin beautiful...how often do ppl usually wash their cars? i wanna do EVERYTHING right with her, since i'm spendin alotta cash ya kno lol
imo, there's no such thing as "best". There is definitely "better" but not a best. Products that are typically available online are, for the most part, better than what you can pick up locally in stores. Not to say that whats available in stores is bad, but you're very limited w/ availability usually.

What you're going to notice is that detailing your ride is going to be totally up to you. Try a few products, see what you like and what appeals to you in terms of application, removal and appearance on the car. How often you wash is up to you as well. This will partly depend on how often you drive the vehicle and under what conditions. Is it garaged often or never? I have customers who garage their show cars and never wash them and I also have guys who wash 3x a week!
Regardless of how often you decide to do it, washing will be your most important step. Not only for keeping it clean, but this is also the time to keep the swirls and spiderwebbing down to a minimum. The key to this is going to be by using a 2 bucket method to wash the vehicle.
Its pretty straight forward. One bucket is for your dirty rinse water and one is for your clean wash water. I recommend at least one grit guard in your bucket. This helps to separate the dirt (which settles at the bottom) from being reintroduced to the mitt and ultimately the paint. Make sure you use a quality wash shampoo that wont strip your wax or dry out moldings. We have quite a few to choose from here if you're interested: http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/exshbure.html
And to dry, the 2 options would be a microfiber waffle weave drying towel or the p21s drying towel Both are very safe to use.

And thats your basics for washing. You can always add in some toys to your wash routine, such as a foam gun or a water softener and cartridge Both are definitely worth having, but certainly not requirements to maintaining the car. Same w/ the wheels, an ez detail brush is one of the best wheel brushes I've ever used in order to reach the inner barrels of the wheel, but you could forgo this for now if you wanted.

and heres a few wash kits that are already bundled up if you're interested.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/carwabuandpa.html

Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help out w/
__________________
Chris@glimmerglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Rtoups
 
Rtoups's Avatar
 
Drives: RJT 2LT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Palos Verdes, California
Posts: 605
People here love Zaino. You can buy a package from them in their shop, which makes it easy to get everything you need to keep a car clean. It's not the best looking product there, but you will get a pretty damn good looking car and it lasts for a really long time.
__________________
SoCal Camaro5 Family Member
Rtoups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:50 AM   #6
shad2009
"Cassie"
 
shad2009's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,153
Send a message via AIM to shad2009 Send a message via Yahoo to shad2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@glimmerglass View Post
imo, there's no such thing as "best". There is definitely "better" but not a best. Products that are typically available online are, for the most part, better than what you can pick up locally in stores. Not to say that whats available in stores is bad, but you're very limited w/ availability usually.

What you're going to notice is that detailing your ride is going to be totally up to you. Try a few products, see what you like and what appeals to you in terms of application, removal and appearance on the car. How often you wash is up to you as well. This will partly depend on how often you drive the vehicle and under what conditions. Is it garaged often or never? I have customers who garage their show cars and never wash them and I also have guys who wash 3x a week!
Regardless of how often you decide to do it, washing will be your most important step. Not only for keeping it clean, but this is also the time to keep the swirls and spiderwebbing down to a minimum. The key to this is going to be by using a 2 bucket method to wash the vehicle.
Its pretty straight forward. One bucket is for your dirty rinse water and one is for your clean wash water. I recommend at least one grit guard in your bucket. This helps to separate the dirt (which settles at the bottom) from being reintroduced to the mitt and ultimately the paint. Make sure you use a quality wash shampoo that wont strip your wax or dry out moldings. We have quite a few to choose from here if you're interested: http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/exshbure.html
And to dry, the 2 options would be a microfiber waffle weave drying towel or the p21s drying towel Both are very safe to use.

And thats your basics for washing. You can always add in some toys to your wash routine, such as a foam gun or a water softener and cartridge Both are definitely worth having, but certainly not requirements to maintaining the car. Same w/ the wheels, an ez detail brush is one of the best wheel brushes I've ever used in order to reach the inner barrels of the wheel, but you could forgo this for now if you wanted.

and heres a few wash kits that are already bundled up if you're interested.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/carwabuandpa.html

Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help out w/
thanx for the extensive, but much needed info
__________________
Currently driving - 2007 Mustang GT

Future Wheels - 2014 Ford Mustang GT & 2014 Chevy Camaro
shad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:07 AM   #7
patriotpa
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Posts: 1,967
I use nothing but Meguiars. They even have an online tool to help you decide what you need.

http://meguiars.com/rx/rx_main.cfm

patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
jtellez
 
jtellez's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fairfax, Va
Posts: 177
I never heard of Zaino before camaro5, but I bought it and I'm sold on it. The shine you get is amazing and its so simple to use.

www.zainostore.com
__________________
Ordered: 1SS, 6A, Black/Beige.
1100-Preliminary order accepted: 6/27
2000-Order accepted by GM: 9/8
3000-Order accepted by production control: 9/10 TPW 10/05/09
3300-Order scheduled for production: 9/24
3400-Order broadcast: 10/01
3800-Order produced: 10/09
4B00-Order Placed on hold: 10/12
4200-Shipped: 10/14
5000-Delivered to the dealer: 10/27
6000-Delivered to the customer: 10/27
jtellez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
Outlaw
 
Outlaw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS M6, IBM w/ Silver Rally
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 210
Zaino is also my favorite. You can get everything you need and it really is show car shine.
__________________
IT HAS ARRIVED 8/05/09!!!!:


Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
jtellez
 
jtellez's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fairfax, Va
Posts: 177
I will say that Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Spray works amazing as well.
__________________
Ordered: 1SS, 6A, Black/Beige.
1100-Preliminary order accepted: 6/27
2000-Order accepted by GM: 9/8
3000-Order accepted by production control: 9/10 TPW 10/05/09
3300-Order scheduled for production: 9/24
3400-Order broadcast: 10/01
3800-Order produced: 10/09
4B00-Order Placed on hold: 10/12
4200-Shipped: 10/14
5000-Delivered to the dealer: 10/27
6000-Delivered to the customer: 10/27
jtellez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
shad2009
"Cassie"
 
shad2009's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,153
Send a message via AIM to shad2009 Send a message via Yahoo to shad2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
I use nothing but Meguiars. They even have an online tool to help you decide what you need.

http://meguiars.com/rx/rx_main.cfm

i did check on them, im gonna c how they are, i watched a couple of the videos and was happy, so we'll c
__________________
Currently driving - 2007 Mustang GT

Future Wheels - 2014 Ford Mustang GT & 2014 Chevy Camaro
shad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
Camarorss350
camaro blogger
 
Camarorss350's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black on Black SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central NJ + Atlanta GA
Posts: 358
Send a message via AIM to Camarorss350
Go with P21S... Meguiars, Mothers, Armor All, are inferior in my opinion... I used to detail for a living and my customers always liked when i used P21S products...
Camarorss350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
Chris@glimmerglass
 
Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 207
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarorss350 View Post
Go with P21S... Meguiars, Mothers, Armor All, are inferior in my opinion... I used to detail for a living and my customers always liked when i used P21S products...
P21s Products = good stuff

Where in Nj are you btw?
__________________
Chris@glimmerglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
patriotpa
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Posts: 1,967
Beagle ear wax is far superior to any other product.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #15
tradosaurus
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
Beagle ear wax is far superior to any other product.
I don't have a beagle but would any dog's ear wax give your car a great shine?
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #16
JProberts

 
Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 871
D'oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
I don't have a beagle but would any dog's ear wax give your car a great shine?
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro Product Manager - interview Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 04-04-2012 06:10 PM
Best Detailing Product To Keep Your Camaro Like New ClassicChrome Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection 9 09-10-2009 08:28 PM
IMPORTANT Part 1 Warranty Disputes Zeus Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 11 08-25-2009 11:37 AM
MT: "The Product GM Needs If it Survives Bankruptcy" Scotsman General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 3 06-02-2009 02:03 AM
What do you use to fix scratches? MRK III Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 7 01-03-2009 02:12 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.