Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nightowl LED
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
camarogolfguy
Camarogolfguy

Drives: 2012 ssrs
Cool Winterizing advice

I live in northern lower Michigan and intend to store my car for the winter months. Any ideas on how best to do this? I would like to fire it up once a month and even take it out for a ride, weather permiting. But short of doing that, what needs to be done?

Some thoughts are disconnecting the battery, but would that be harmful? Overinflate the tires? Drain as much gas out the tank as possible? Putting some Stable in the gas tank? Put a protective cover over it?

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.
camarogolfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:02 AM   #2
Thrillz

Drives: 2012 Charger R/T / 2012 Dodge Ram
Actually many say full tank of gas and new oil before storing it. Also if its in a place where u have mice put some bounce sheets in the interior. I personally dont disconnect the battery as i start the car up once every 3-4 weeks and move it a few feet to prevent the brakes from locking up. Here is a link for what to do http://www.buyclassiccars.com/storagetips.asp
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
I have a '68 Camaro convertible that sits in the winter of course (non-heated garage). As long as the salt isn't visible and there's no snow on the road and it's above 30 degrees F, I take it out for a spin to stretch it's legs periodically. The most I've gone without driving it is probably 3 weeks. I would also start it up weekly and let it run a long time to get it to operating temperature.

I keep it on a battery tender with a full tank of gas. I also just changed the oil for the season. I've been doing this for 9 years with the car with no issues.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
3 SS's

Drives: Chevelle SS's
I basically clean up my cars & fill em up with gas, the 66 gets off the tires (bias ply's)
If the road conditions allow, I'll fire em up...otherwise I don't even start em, warming up idling really doesn't do the trick, if your gonna start em you need to really take them for a quick burst or don't even fire them up.
Some guys say change the oils before storage & then after...I just do it after, not so sure you really need to have fresh oil in for storage.....although my cars never have lot's of mileage on the oil anyway.
My garage is heated so they stay pretty cozy during the winter months.
3 SS's is offline   Reply With Quote