Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Strider-No.9
 
Strider-No.9's Avatar
 
Drives: Dodge Stratus
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 13
Camaro Dealers Question

So I am of course like you getting a Camaro very soon after it's released.

I am worried about price gouging, would I be better off waiting until May or June of 08 to buy my Camaro to avoid price gouging the first few months? Or is price gouging something that will be an issue for the first year or so of release?

Also is it smart to talk to a dealership NOW and see if they will be getting the car and if they will be selling it at MSRP?

Thanks in advance.
Strider-No.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,306
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Don't worry about pricing.

There are some rules about getting the car you want at the price you want.

1: Be stubborn. You are going to get the car you want at the price you want only if you make that your priority. If you make it a priority to be really friendly or submissive. Focus on MSRP and demand to pay only that.

2: It's all business. The salesperson gets a commission off of your sale. Every dime you pay over MSRP goes to profit.

3: Your extra money goes toward your car. When you get away with paying MSRP, the remainder can go toward a nice dual exit exhaust, intake, and some accessories.

4: Be patient. If you don't get it with this dealer, drive somewhere else. Someone will keep you close to MSRP.

No one knows whether price gouging will be an issue. Regardless, the salesperson will try to make a sale with commission. Even if no one but you wants the car, you will have to contend with the salesperson. Salespeople aren't bad people. They have to make sales to pay for their own lives, so don't hold their sales ability against them. Even if every dealer prices it below MSRP, you showing interest in the car means that the price will go up for you as a car enthusiast. Higher demand means higher price. To get a low price, be patient and stubborn. Your first dealer may or may not be the one to sell you your car at the price you're willing to pay.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
VTXrider

 
VTXrider's Avatar
 
Drives: RY 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Miami
Posts: 755
There is a thread in the pricing section on dealers who have a policy of not charging over MSRP. Usually these dealers have long waiting lists but it is worth the wait if you save a few grand.
VTXrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider-No.9 View Post
So I am of course like you getting a Camaro very soon after it's released.

I am worried about price gouging, would I be better off waiting until May or June of 08 to buy my Camaro to avoid price gouging the first few months? Or is price gouging something that will be an issue for the first year or so of release?

Also is it smart to talk to a dealership NOW and see if they will be getting the car and if they will be selling it at MSRP?

Thanks in advance.
Do you mean '09?
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,306
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Do you mean '09?
You didn't know that they're already out.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
Strider-No.9
 
Strider-No.9's Avatar
 
Drives: Dodge Stratus
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 13
I'm sorry yes, 09.
Strider-No.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:35 PM   #7
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z
 
chadrcr's Avatar
 
Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fallon NV
Posts: 726
IF you were buying a 'normal' car or truck... My goal is to get about 8% below msrp, not counting any rebates from the FACTORY, which should always be separate from the negotiation with the dealer's price.
As optomistic as I am, I do not expect to get close to 8% below msrp on the Camaro, unless I wait until December 09 or later, and then ????
If GM allows the Camaro to be on the Military discount list, .
__________________

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
brantley847
v It bites.
 
brantley847's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 3,402
If MSRP is reasonable (as far as my standards and opinion of the vehicle should be) then I will pay MSRP, but not a dime above...and I am not paying MSRP on their sticker..I will build the vehicle online and pull that price and will only pay the price...If I have to drive to Miami, so be it. A few years back, I went to a chevy dealership and requested a test drive of a silverado...I actually watched the salesman walk out to the vehicle and pull the sticker....I dont know about other states, but I believe that is a criminal violation.

If I can work my way below MSRP, that is just a lil present to myself...
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:21 PM   #9
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z
 
chadrcr's Avatar
 
Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fallon NV
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
If MSRP is reasonable (as far as my standards and opinion of the vehicle should be) then I will pay MSRP, but not a dime above...and I am not paying MSRP on their sticker..I will build the vehicle online and pull that price and will only pay the price...If I have to drive to Miami, so be it. A few years back, I went to a chevy dealership and requested a test drive of a silverado...I actually watched the salesman walk out to the vehicle and pull the sticker....I dont know about other states, but I believe that is a criminal violation.

If I can work my way below MSRP, that is just a lil present to myself...
That should be a law, if it is not. But now, we have the GM website , which allows 'us' to avoid those kinds of dealers, if we are willing to research/drive etc.
I barely beat msrp in August 2002 on my Z/28 (miss it )
$1,000 off a $27k, so I just hope for below msrp if I buy early in 2009.
__________________

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:56 PM   #10
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrcr View Post
If GM allows the Camaro to be on the Military discount list, .
Hopefully they'll continue the supplier pricing all the way till 2011 lol. but as of right now the supplier pricing drops sept 30th. other then that the only other military discount you normally get is $500.00. and they would give that to you. . .for sure.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:34 AM   #11
Sterling


 
Sterling's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fairhaven, MA
Posts: 5,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrcr View Post
That should be a law, if it is not. But now, we have the GM website , which allows 'us' to avoid those kinds of dealers, if we are willing to research/drive etc.
I barely beat msrp in August 2002 on my Z/28 (miss it )
$1,000 off a $27k, so I just hope for below msrp if I buy early in 2009.
It's my understanding that it is a law.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #12
ROE
 
Drives: 2008 cts
Join Date: May 2008
Location: staten island
Posts: 350
wonder if the camaro will be on suppiler discount list
ROE is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro Product Manager - interview Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 04-04-2012 07:10 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 08:33 PM
Official Camaro Convertible CONCEPT Press Release Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 12 11-18-2009 08:05 PM
Camaro (concept) Press Release!! Pencil.Fight 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 4 07-21-2008 04:33 PM
Q&A with fbodfather (Scott Settlemire) regarding upcoming Camaro JustinZS 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 22 05-20-2008 08:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.