Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Road Course/Track and Autocross For road course/track and autocross discussions.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Drives: 2010 SS/RS A6
Thoughts on First Road Course Event / Track Day

Had her on Thunderhill's 3-mile road course all day Friday. I'll start by saying that she exceeded my expectations overall, but especially the automatic transmission.

This car definitely understeers considerably, but not as bad as my 4th gen SS did. I saw significant improvement by simply dropping 4 PSI out of the front tires. I will definitely be going with a new swaybar package and am waiting for the right strut tower brace. I think these will make a world of a difference without changing out shocks/coilovers.

Also, she likes weight out of the back end. I'm going to remove a bunch of stuff next time (back seat, tire inflator, etc. Project will be to see what else I can take out. Keep the gas tank light as well. I felt a HUGE difference between 1/4 and a 1/2 tank.

The brakes worried me during the first session. They were very soft and smelled/burned badly. Great news, though! They were breaking in, and I was very impressed for the balance of the day. I even had the stock Dot 3 in there.

I ran a couple of sessions with the trans in Sport mode and let it do the shifting. Holy crap! I can't believe how nice that thing is! It did exactly what I needed it to do. Using the paddles is tough, as it is very hard to see the darn tach when you have the wheel anything but straight on.

She turns in very confidently and has great feel. It's when you go back to neutral throttle and acceleration out of turns that the nose gets light and a bit numb. She likes throttle steer, but the comp mode nanny makes it a bit challenging. I didn't run yet with "all off" - saving that for next time.

All in all, I am very happy. The A6 is definitely the way to go for road racing. My challenge is getting over the fact that I'm not in a C6 Z06 anymore. I no longer have one of the quickest cars at the track and I do get passed in the Camaro. However, I did pass a couple of P-cars and vettes (obviously the drivers). So, over the next few years, I'll change that. Suspension first and possibly the Magnusson SC down the road.

I rented an in-car HD camera and have some great footage. Challenge is that I don't have a mini DV camera to load the footage from. Will borrow on and post-up some vids later.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Almost forgot. Saving up for some BBS wheels and dedicated track tires...Will make a huge difference, although the Pirelli's are damn good for what they are.

And forgot to mention that my oil temp was running just under 300!
Old 10-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
I did my very first open track event this summer... my observations about the Sport mode echo yours! I was very impressed! The car was either in the right gear of got to the right gear in a hurry! I also was amazed how progressively the car was downshifting going into the corners!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
jtg8067

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS 6M CGM
have you found the optimal tire pressures for the track? I ran an AutoCross trackday today. I tried 40psi front and 36 in the rear to work pretty well, but I'm still searching for a good balance. Front seemed to push pretty well...
Old 10-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Interesting that you went lower in the back - I was just the opposite, as the lower pressure in the front helped them grab better. I started the day at 34 PSI COLD. Tires were all up to 42 after the first session, then I went down to 38 in the front. Made a BIG difference and the car did not push nearly as much. Figure COLD pressures would be 30 front and 34 rear.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Interesting note that I forgot to add...Turn 2 at Thunderhill is a long sweeping left hander. While I am certainly not the best driver, I would take this one around 65-70 in my '06 Z06. Best in the Camaro was about 64. Note that I didn't spend much time looking at the speedo, however.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Good to hear on the A6... It let you keep control as long as you were in the power-band? No unexpected downshifts mid-turn?

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Nothing unexpected at all. There were only a few ocassions where I could have done better myself.