Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
nessa131
Nessa131

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IBM
Zaino Question

Ok- I will dawn the car-- but I am SOOOOOOOO afarid of the clay bar. So what would you suggest?

Zaino wash, wax and shine spray? The numbers would help if you know them. I know one lady on our recent camaro cruisewe toook and she had a spray that she put on there- microfibered it and it was soooo shiny!!!!

I will do whatever I need to as far as products go--- but I am just too afarid of the clay bar!!! Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Steve@Subthump

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
The zaino claybar is the best I've ever used so don't be afraid of it. Just rememeber lots of lube to keep it sliding and fold it regularly. I clayed my car as soon as I brought it home from the dealer. Dawn wash, claybar, zaino wash. Once dry, I hit mine with z6 detailer and then started the zxf/z3 polish coats. Z6 in-between those.
Steve@Subthump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
nessa131
Nessa131

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IBM
I am so scared that it will scratch or swirl---- what exactly does the clay bar do?
Old 10-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
hollywoodjose

Drives: 2010 Black 1LT
clay bar is awesome, easy to use too
i'd never done it and i tried it and will continue to do it

i would recommend doing it in a garage if possible. Thats how i did it (got the idea from another camaro5 member). Just cut the bar into several small pieces and use one one panel at a time. There's an instruction up at the top of the forum in one of the detailing threads
hollywoodjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Quote:
Originally Posted by nessa131 View Post
I am so scared that it will scratch or swirl---- what exactly does the clay bar do?
I have a BLACK SS. Claybar as soon as it got home. Folow the instructions and the Zaino clay bar WILL NOT scratch or swilr your paint. I promise.

It removes stuff embedded in your paint that soap & water cannot. Your color will look more clean and pure like it was intended.

Even after washing with Dawn, when I clayed my BRAND NEW, day 1 Camaro, I could see the lubricant water turning brown from the embedded rail dust.

If you are really that nervous, try it on the bottom of your rocker panel first.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:53 AM   #6
mnywstr

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
The most important tip is if you drop the piece of clay on the ground DO NOT USE that piece of clay again throw it out. That is one of the reasons to break the clay bar into pieces. What I did I experimented on my wife's minivan first to get the hang of it.
mnywstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
01pewterz28
Camaro Junkie

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS,Born 9/14/09 @ 11:50:57
What I do when I use my clay bar is get the car all wet with water have your soap bucket ready with your left hand start washing the car with nice soapy wanter and with your right hand go over the paint with the claybar the car is nice and slick best way i have found to get this done I also wash the car in the evenings as the sun is doing down to keep the heat off the paint.

Sean
Old 10-13-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
I use the Zaino CS spray and love the shine.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by nessa131 View Post
Ok- I will dawn the car-- but I am SOOOOOOOO afarid of the clay bar. So what would you suggest?

Zaino wash, wax and shine spray? The numbers would help if you know them. I know one lady on our recent camaro cruisewe toook and she had a spray that she put on there- microfibered it and it was soooo shiny!!!!

I will do whatever I need to as far as products go--- but I am just too afarid of the clay bar!!! Thanks in advance!!!!
Don't be afraid of the clay!

OK. Here's what I'd recommend;

1. Wash with Dawn
2. Clay (mix a capful of Zaino Z-7 Show Car Wash with water in a spray bottle) Spray an area the size of 4' X 4" well with lubricant and move clay over the surface with minimal pressure. CHECK CLAY often for debris - it will turn black as contaminants are removed. Knead clay to a clean spot and continue. ***THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL SCRATCH IS IF YOU DO NOT KNEAD CLAY CONTINUOUSLY TO "CLEAN SPOTS".
3. Wash second time with Z-7 Show Car Wash and dry
4. Add one coat of Z-5 PRO Show Car Polish for swirl marks and fine scratches. Inspect paint afterwards. If happy with result proceed to next step. If not, add 2nd coat of Z-5.
5. Finish with a coat of Z-2 PRO

* I also prefer Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray for use at shows.

I hope that helps?

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote