Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Any market for license plate blockers w/switch?

I watched a video a few years ago of a lambo with a switch that would block out his license plate with an electrical charge. Well I figured out how and where to get the main piece of glass and how to rig it up. Im going to be assembling one in a few weeks.

I know they are illegal as all holy hell to use on the road, but that being said Im sick of paying Illinois tolls at double the rate of ipass users. So I figured I would give this a shot. I can stay in the Ipass lanes and not pay the crooks at the same time.

Anyways its basically a piece of glass with crystals in it. When you hook up an electrical charge it scrambles the crystals so you cant see through it..at all. Then when you take the charge away the crystals line up and you can see right through it again.

Im not sure how fragile it is to weather or anything yet. Good thing it gets bad out here quick so I can test it.

Do you think there would be any interest out there for this product if I could get it out to people for about $180? Given that in itself would pay a decent amount of tolls, I just really hate toll roads that much that Im going to build one for myself anyways. FYI Illinois tolls are .80 to $1.00 for non-ipass cars.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
chevy454

Drives: '69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
I know they are illegal as all holy hell to use on the road, but that being said Im sick of paying Illinois tolls at double the rate of ipass users. So I figured I would give this a shot. I can stay in the Ipass lanes and not pay the crooks at the same time.
I don't mean to hijack, but...I'm from out of state, but someone told me on my last trip through Chi-town that I can bypass the tolls using the Ipass lanes, record the date/time, and simply pay the toll online when I get home...is there any truth to that?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Hmm...don't move to NY...$8 to use the George Washington bridge...

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."

Please help me fight back by supporting me in the 2010 American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. Every little bit helps. Click here for more information. Thank you to those that have donated!
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy454 View Post
I don't mean to hijack, but...I'm from out of state, but someone told me on my last trip through Chi-town that I can bypass the tolls using the Ipass lanes, record the date/time, and simply pay the toll online when I get home...is there any truth to that?
Yeah, but you have to know the toll number, date and direction of travel. Its a pita. And if you dont pay it in 7 days it become a minimum $20 fine.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Jay_LHD3

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS LS3
No thanks (no need here). I remember seeing the Gumball Lambo your talking about. You need to make a video when gets yours installed so we can see. More power to you fighting them toll trolls!!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
I know a way you can cut your tools in half. It's as legal as all getout. It's so easy too...
Get an ipsss!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy454 View Post
I did that once on a trip to Wheaton, IL. You can go on line and pay it. Now I'm not sure the intent is to go by all of them and pay, but I know if worked for the one I missed going through.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
I'm in, you think the tolls are bad? Try the bullshit red light cameras and knowing Illinois government it's a matter of time before we see speed cameras. I know I could sell 5 of these in a heartbeat to friends.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote