Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-18-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Suspension Choices and what and why did you choose it?

So far we know Pedders has the nice coil over kit. Eibach makes springs and matching Pro Kit Sway Bars. Misc. manufactures also make sawy bars, springs and bushings.

Over the years whenever I did a suspension i always had best luck doing revalved shocks/springs as a package. Then sway bars. For the street it worked perfect.

Whenever I did just springs in NYC roads I always blew out the strut bumpstops and eventually the shocks themselves. I dont know why spring makers like Eibach say this wont happen when it eventually will.

As far as coilovers I have used Bilstein and KW on my european cars and the only advantage i saw was the adjustable ride height. Coilovers are very difficult to tune for street use.

Also just because its a coilover doesnt mean its tuned best for your application and roads. Now this poses a concern with the Pedders because I have not read any info regarding different spring rate options or other misc add ons.

My Camaro goal: wheels and super low stance. I plan to drive the car hard on the street only so I want good ride quality but not bad handling.

Its not even a cost issue with me I just want to make sure I choose right. In the past like a fool I would buy one package then try another, then another until I was happy. I guess this all comes from personal desire. Only issue going this trial and error route is me pissing lots of coin in the garbage with parts and labor.

The shifter and suspension are the 1st items I am changing.

Anyone post results using springs/bars vrs coilovers?
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
iwanttogofastNY

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM
i am also interested in this info, this will be my everyday car so i still want the comfort level high
Mods: American Racing Headers & Exhaust, Airaid Intake, Pfadt Front/Rear Sway Bars, Stealth Bulbs, AAC LED bowtie, AAC Concept LED Side-markers ABM/Tinted, 20% Tints, Chuck COW Tune, MGW shifter (blue with white racing stripes).

Coming Soon: 4:10 Gears?
iwanttogofastNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
55Designs

Your local cool. As you know our roads SUCK and shake and rattle cars to bits. I have blown up out more suspensions around here.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Jontall

Drives: GTO
I'd stay away from Pedders... I had it on my GTO in NYC and it was no-good. The springs got soft and the car would bottom-out all over town. I sold the Pedders suspension and bought KW Variant 3 and it's great in NYC.
Jontall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
I'm going with the Pedders Extreme Street II Plus, or Extreme XA Street Performance and add swaybars later. The thing I like about Pedders... and it has to do with Jontall's issue... If you have problems they look to be taken care of quickly.

Look how long they've been on this forum, and how often they've kept us updated during testing, that speaks volumes about customer care.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
I have done some research on what is availabel for the Camaro right now...That being said I am waiting a few more weeks.

My company is building a full suspension package that is going to be beased on BMR products. I was unhappy with the choices offered from current companies, so I worked with BMR to develop a full package. This will include, Chassis support, hopefully coil-overs, lower arms, tunnel brace, strut tower brace, and a couple other goodies which I cannot mention yet.

There are good options out there from each company, but you would have to buy from 5 or 6 different companys to put together the best suspension right now...and I am not willing to do that, or put my customers through that.

In my opinion you will be very happy with the products you see coming out later this fall...so stay tuned!
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
55Designs

I used KW before on BMW and I liked them just a bitch to tune for my conditions.
Used H&R coilovers they sucked. I havent has much success with anything from H&R over the last 15 years.

Eibachs coilovers were the best so far just as the Bilstein PSS9 on the Porsche.

I am thinking now maybe I just do the eEbach springs and bars until Eibach comes out with coilovers. Eibachs valving is just awesome on the streets and they use Sachs or Bilstein for the shocks. KW are a bit rougher.

I also heard Pedders is ok but for North east drivers its a bad choice.

Great to hear some comments coming through my post.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
I agree that Pedders can be rough in the northeast....

The Eibach would be a good solution for now...you actually save some loot if you uy them together in their "pro-kit" I think they call it.

When did you want to have all of this done...I know winter is about to kick our butts, so maybe you are able to wait a little while for more options? I am doing my changes starting in late december, so i can tell you there will be new options at the end of the year.

That is my two cents....best of luck, and I am always happy to help
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
5th Gen SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM and Black/IOM
For those that don't mind a little set and forget tuning, there is always Pfadt Engineering.
http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/i...71ee5a0753137d
5th Gen SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
Ctrain24

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontall View Post
I'd stay away from Pedders... I had it on my GTO in NYC and it was no-good. The springs got soft and the car would bottom-out all over town. I sold the Pedders suspension and bought KW Variant 3 and it's great in NYC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
I used KW before on BMW and I liked them just a bitch to tune for my conditions.
Used H&R coilovers they sucked. I havent has much success with anything from H&R over the last 15 years.

Eibachs coilovers were the best so far just as the Bilstein PSS9 on the Porsche.

I am thinking now maybe I just do the eEbach springs and bars until Eibach comes out with coilovers. Eibachs valving is just awesome on the streets and they use Sachs or Bilstein for the shocks. KW are a bit rougher.

I also heard Pedders is ok but for North east drivers its a bad choice.

Great to hear some comments coming through my post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
I agree that Pedders can be rough in the northeast....

The Eibach would be a good solution for now...you actually save some loot if you uy them together in their "pro-kit" I think they call it.

When did you want to have all of this done...I know winter is about to kick our butts, so maybe you are able to wait a little while for more options? I am doing my changes starting in late december, so i can tell you there will be new options at the end of the year.

That is my two cents....best of luck, and I am always happy to help
I'm in NYC as well. I was pretty much set on doing a Pedders suspension next spring but you guys are making me look into other options. Did you guys experience quality problems with Pedders or did it just create a harsh ride because of our streets. I'm curious because Pedders claims their suspension parts are OEM quality without adding to ride harshness.
Ctrain24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
55Designs

Few issues in NYC with a suspension that isnt perfect for our roads.

1. Can easily wear out control arm bushings.
2. greater chance for bent wheels and flats. Something to think about with no spare.
3.Shakes and rattles will develop in interior over time
4. steering rack can also take a beating.

My porsche and bmw are adjustable but they are very sophisticated setups but they can be harsh I dont want another hash ride now.

I have had failures on all of these parts from BMW m3, Porsche 911, porsche Cayman S and many more cars tuned.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
Jontall, the problems that you experienced with the GTO were due to the design of the GTO more than the design of the springs. The Camaro is much different, and the Xa coilovers do not suffer from any of the drawbacks that the standard spring replacement does. When you lower the car with the Xa coilovers you don't change the stiffness of the spring, or the travel. I currently run them on my GTO. When i ran the standard spring/strut setup i ran 0 drop springs due to clearance issues where i lived before, but i had zero issues with anything. Good to see you here btw.

ZZCamaro, sounds like what you are proposing is just putting 'kits' together from parts from various manufacturers to complete a 'kit'. What testing has been done to test your products as a package?
Also Curious about the comment you made about Pedders in the North East, as i'm in the North East, and drive both of my Pedders cars year round.

55 Designs, i believe that Pedders has posted tons of info and results on their products, maybe i can help with specific questions that you have in regards to the products.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #13
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Sounds like a lot of people talking about Pedders suspension that have never been in a Pedder's car or had their suspension....lol. I love the Pedder's suspension on my Camaro and you have the option to adjust it to however soft or hard that you want it. I have been in a stock Camaro and my car's ride quality is very close to OEM on the lightest setting but handles much better. Good luck piecing all the kits together when Pedder's can take care of you with one kit. It looks like they have a "few" tests to back it up also.

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
those in New York with Camaros and want to experience what Pedders coil overs should do, should make an appointment with Howard at Redline. He has his own Camaro he put the Xas on. I am sure he will take you for a ride. All except Jontall! LOL

Here is Howard's contact number:

Redline Motorsports
Howard Turner
3223 Guilderland Ave.
Schnectady, NY 12306
518-355-8460
518-355-6100 fax
www.redline-motorsports.net

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote