Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Plan of "attack" for new 2SS

I will be picking up my SIM 2SS in about a month or so and want to get my ducks in a row in regard to how I am going to clear bra it as soon as I receive it. I will be doing the Clear Bra myself, on the fence between 3M and ClearMask AR but my main question is the prep to do before the film application. From what I have read I am planning on a regular hand wash and then claying the parts of the car to be filmed. The main question I have is after claying what is the last thing I should do before I apply the film. I still have to do further reading on the claying itself I will admit but any suggestions would be appreciated. Once the film is on I will tackle the entire car, is it necessary or recommended to clay the entire car right off the lot, or even claying the areas to be filmed off the lot since it is so new.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
There is never any harm in claying. It doesnt remove any clearcoat or anything like that, so running a bar of clay over the area you'll be clear bra'ing, or even over the whole car right off the lot will be perfectly acceptable. In fact, I've seen some new cars need more claying than some older ones!
The only other thing you might consider doing would be to polish out any spider webbing or swirls below the area you intend to clear bra. This way, you dont trap those swirls under the clear bra and then cant get them out, only to see them each time the sun hits that area
Old 10-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
robertway

Thanks Chris, after the polish is there typically anything left behind by polishing that would have to be removed before applying the film to ensure proper adhesion. Probably a typical noob question I could find but figured I'd ask anyway.

Thanks for the feedback,

Robert

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Robert clay bar the entire car first. When you are done with that wash the car with Dawn dishwashing soap as it will remove any wax remaining on the areas for the film application. Once you have done that you will be ready to apply the film. There is no need to remove swirls since the adhesive of the film will cover those and they will not be visible. You shouldnt have too many since its a new car in the first place.

I installed ClearMask for 6 years and have recently gone away from it. I have found it is the same film as VentureShield Ultra. The onwer of Clearmask is just rebranding it as ClearMask AR. VentureShield is a much larger company (now owned by 3M but still making its own films) so I would feel much more comfortable with them standing behind the warranty. If you are interested in getting a kit let me know. I may be able to get it for a better price since I am an installer/dealer. Feel free to PM me if you are interested in Venture. Also good luck with the install.I really do not recommend anyone doing their own since you can ruin a lot of film very quickly... but it sounds like you are set on it already. I also do not recommend 3M due to the orange peel 3M has and it is much more difficult to install. Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
robertway

htp, glad you chimed in, I have read many of your posts related to film and have already acquired a lot of tips from you. I'll PM you in regard to the kits, thanks for joining the thread