Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Design Concepts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 04-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #276
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Is this mod possible on a 1SS since it doent have the stock ABL? If you give me an honest yes, this will be my next mod :crosses fingers:

Thanks guys
Old 04-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #277
sparaz

Drives: 2010 CMG RS & 86 black Z28 3rd gen
I'm compeltely doing this, only thing I have to ensure is that I dont have too much extended difficulty with rewiring into a purple wire as a result of not having the plugs.
sparaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #278
Imjaybird

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/2SS
So I started this and tested the el light and it looks like crap! I have used this before on other projects but the orange does not come close to matching the IOM interior. The orange EL is too fluorescent. It looks like red would be better. I guess I will buy some red and find out?
$IMJAYBIRD$
Imjaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #279
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2012 Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
I tried the EL light also. I has getting a high pitch sound when I would plug it in. That was very annoying. I yanked it out and went back to the digilight.
Current:2012 Cadilac Escalade.2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned&loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09 Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #280
torranosaurus

Drives: 2011 Black RS
I have a Synergy Green edition with the green ambient lights, and removed the fuse panel to find that I do not have the ABL plug where it should be.
If I have the door ABL, I assume, I must have the plug somewhere in the dash.
Anyone know for sure??
torranosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #281
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by torranosaurus View Post
I have a Synergy Green edition with the green ambient lights, and removed the fuse panel to find that I do not have the ABL plug where it should be.
Anyone know for sure??
You won't have it. If there isn't one behind the fuse box, there won't be one behind the dash panel. The reason you have them in the doors and not in the dash is because all 2LT and 2SS models get the lights in the doors. Absolutely no models get the dash or side hook ups since GM couldn't complete the ABL on the dash. GM figures, "if we can't do it on the dash, why continue to spend money on adding the connectors." So, they pulled them out. I can't remember the vin range, but it was somewhere around 65k. There will always be other wires you can rig it into. I can't remember which ones, but it's posted somewhere in here.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:44 AM   #282
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
You won't have it. If there isn't one behind the fuse box, there won't be one behind the dash panel. The reason you have them in the doors and not in the dash is because all 2LT and 2SS models get the lights in the doors. Absolutely no models get the dash or side hook ups since GM couldn't complete the ABL on the dash. GM figures, "if we can't do it on the dash, why continue to spend money on adding the connectors." So, they pulled them out. I can't remember the vin range, but it was somewhere around 65k. There will always be other wires you can rig it into. I can't remember which ones, but it's posted somewhere in here.
Use the purple and black wires in the passenger kick panel, and the drivers kick panel. Follow the wires and make sure they go into the door to know you have the right ones.

If you want to do it on a 1ss, 1LS or 1LT, I suggest tapping into the yellow/black wires that handle the instrument panel lighting. Such as the traction control switch, and in the doors for the lights for the window switch.

I still haven't pulled my car apart to see exactly where/what the "SRK/SRM" is from the wiring diagram.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:49 PM   #283
verboten

Drives: Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by torranosaurus View Post
Anyone know for sure??
Is it possible to match the green?
verboten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #284
torranosaurus

I ordered the EL one that just came out in green, I am waiting for it to get here, so we'll see if it is close enough.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #285
verboten

Drives: Black
Did you try to order through GM parts?
verboten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #286
SouthJerseyGuy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS
Send a message via AIM to SouthJerseyGuy
has anyone documented the needed materials to do the doors? and has anyone attempted to do the bottoms of the two dash pieces and how much material do you need?
SouthJerseyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 AM   #287
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyGuy View Post
has anyone documented the needed materials to do the doors? and has anyone attempted to do the bottoms of the two dash pieces and how much material do you need?
to my knowledge, only one person had anything similar to lighting the bottom of the front panels. He is from TX and used light tape (which is very expensive). The light tape was so thick, that the light came out of the bottom. No one has tried to light the bottom of the front panels because there is no light that comes out of the bottom of the door panels. It would look off...and IMO, not be what the factory intended it to be.

No one has documented the materials needed to do the doors, but it's easy.

You need probably 5 feet of El Wire (2.5 for each door), clear tubes (2 from petsmart - aquarium tubing) to hold them in place (and the screw hardware). Then, you'd need two 0-4ft transformers wired in line together in a positive line. At least, that's what I'd think.

I think it'd be easier just getting two digikey tubes, two GM light sources, and the clamps to hold them down. Much cleaner and exactly what the factory intended.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #288
EZ SPEED
ZZOSIXX

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
I plan on starting this project tomorrow
Old 05-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #289
torranosaurus

EL is the only one I have found to have the green for the Synergy's.
The whole kit cost less than 40 bucks, and I may get started on it this weekend.
There is a post on abl here for all the parts you need.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #290
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
here's a question. Has anyone tried this with a 1SS and taken the cloth off the panels? if so is it clear plastic underneath the cloth and you just need to remove the cloth adhesive and polish it?

Did you guys paint the back side or the front side of the panels? Seems to me it would be more durable to polish everything clear like Tag did and paint the back side so no one can chip/scratch your painted piece
Old 05-14-2010, 01:48 AM   #291
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

I gave up on my panels because of numerous problems. Really...it became too labor intensive for me and a PAIN IN THE ASS. We had to sand...which resulted in a TON of sanding. But, I actually ended up with a blotched panel. Believe it or not, my panel (drivers side) must have a defect in teh plastic since there is a discoloration in the plastic. The only way to fix that is to paint from the outside and leave that clear strip up on the top for the ABL.

I'm at a loss with them. Then, they developed some sort of weird scratch INSIDE the plastic on the ABL side. Hmpf....I don't know what to do with them...
Old 05-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #292
loopback
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
here's a question. Has anyone tried this with a 1SS and taken the cloth off the panels? if so is it clear plastic underneath the cloth and you just need to remove the cloth adhesive and polish it?

Did you guys paint the back side or the front side of the panels? Seems to me it would be more durable to polish everything clear like Tag did and paint the back side so no one can chip/scratch your painted piece

Same here looking at painting mine as well. Anyone tried this?
loopback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #293
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Great job and great info!

If I was keeping my Camaro I would LOVE to do this.

I showed a friend the ones on the door and he thought

they went across the dash, I need to show him what you did.

Simply awesome Job
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #294
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopback View Post
Same here looking at painting mine as well. Anyone tried this?
A couple people have. There's a new guy who just did fire inserts...looks good. But, I don't see the clear at the top for his ABL.

I need to see if Tom can either ship these back to me or get them done.

You can try to sand and polish out the back of the panel, but it's just a TON of work. I am going to try to paint the front and see what happens.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #295
wylde1
I am the Stig

I'm going to paint the front for sure. I'm just trying to work out how to run the EL wire now. From what I can tell the plastic they use for the cloth inserts is not clear.

I'm thinking of trying to run just exposed EL wire across the top of the trim but I'm not 100% sure how I'd secure it yet. I want to try to steer clear of glues because I'd like to be able to replace the wire if it ever failed. But I'm not sure if 3M double sided tape will be enough to hold it in place. lots of thinkin' to do.....
Old 05-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #296
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Use the clear tubing from home depot or an aquarium store. use the bendable type. then, use hot glue to hold it in place. just a thought
since you are not using glues on the wire directly, you will be able to change out the wire later on if you need.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #297
wylde1
I am the Stig

yep that had occurred to me, but I'm not sure how it would look having a big tube along the outside edge.

How thick is the plastic on the door panels? I know it's thick enough to do on the dash pieces, but I'm thinking of grooving the top edge of the dash pieces to fit the 2.2 mm EL wire in. I have done some intricate dremeling work in the past and I'm confident I can do it. Just not sure how much material there is to play with on the door panels...

would anyone with their panels currently off be able to check that out real quick?? even if it was ~4 mils it would still be plenty strong. I'd only probably do about a 1 mil groove to keep the wire in line, and then put some 3M clear tape over it to secure it. Then it's just a matter of removing tape if I need to change the wire.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #298
wylde1
I am the Stig

here's another question about the power inverter. does the length it's talking about mean how much EL wire it can run? or how much distance from the inverter it can run?

say I have the 0-4 ft inverter. and mount it in the dash next to the drivers side fuse box. can I run 4 ft of speaker wire and then 4 ft of EL wire on the end of that? or does the total amount of wire in general have to add up to 4 ft?

make any sense?
Old 05-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #299
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
yep that had occurred to me, but I'm not sure how it would look having a big tube along the outside edge.

How thick is the plastic on the door panels? I know it's thick enough to do on the dash pieces, but I'm thinking of grooving the top edge of the dash pieces to fit the 2.2 mm EL wire in. I have done some intricate dremeling work in the past and I'm confident I can do it. Just not sure how much material there is to play with on the door panels...

would anyone with their panels currently off be able to check that out real quick?? even if it was ~4 mils it would still be plenty strong. I'd only probably do about a 1 mil groove to keep the wire in line, and then put some 3M clear tape over it to secure it. Then it's just a matter of removing tape if I need to change the wire.
mm...nah. don't put any tubes out the outside edge. Leave them on the inside where they were originally meant to be run.

The plastic is not thick enough to make a groove in it and actually lay the wire down (for the door panels). It wouldn't work. Sure, the dash parts are thick enough to do a SMALL line in the plastic. I mean, go for it if you think you can do it. But, the integrity of the panel is going to be compromised as well since you are going to be cutting a pretty long line in the panel. If after you cut that line and install, and I push on teh panel, it's going to bend in pretty well. I wouldn't do it. Just run it on the inside. You can sand w/ 2,000 grit and use a polisher to get the plastic panel clean again.
Quote:
here's another question about the power inverter. does the length it's talking about mean how much EL wire it can run? or how much distance from the inverter it can run?

say I have the 0-4 ft inverter. and mount it in the dash next to the drivers side fuse box. can I run 4 ft of speaker wire and then 4 ft of EL wire on the end of that? or does the total amount of wire in general have to add up to 4 ft?

make any sense?
To my understanding, you can run the speaker wire and then the el wire. I think it's how much power the inverter pulls from lighted wire...the draw. Speaker wire won't pull any power...just the wire that lights up. That is how I understood it. You will quickly find out if that 4ft inverter will work before even installing it just by hooking the two up and turning the power on. If it flickers, it won't work. I still have all my el wire stuff...wish I could find some use for it. I thought about using it for the glove or the trunk. I might need a bunch more wire.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #300
wylde1
I am the Stig

ok that makes sense about the wire length

If i could put the wires on the back side of the panel I would for sure. But I have a 1SS and my panels are cloth covered. I don't think the plastic is clear on these ones so the light won't come through the panel. That's why I'm trying to think of a way to do it on the outside