Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Circle-D
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 03:39 AM   #155
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,569
I watched a great youtube video on soldering. Just searched, "How to Solder" and came up with a very informative 4 minute video. Easy stuff. Didn't mention copper tape in mine, though.

And Rick, yeah...20ft. I have plans...and will be taking off the door panels and removing the stock inserts. When I do that, I'm going to replace with the El Wire in the doors. That's probably going to be the rigid that I use. However, if not, the flex tube will be used there. Also, I have no idea how bright it's going to be, but I want to see what I can come up with for the trunk and flew tube...to run along the inside top of the trunk. I was thinking of running it all around the inner top to spread light evenly throughout. Should work out nicely.

I've got a few other ideas too...but time is my only enemy here. I wish I had my parts painted already....ugh...stuff is going to be coming in any day now and I want to get it DONE!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #156
King Mouse
 
King Mouse's Avatar
 
Drives: EXT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Western PA
Posts: 416
Tag,

There is a buffing compound specifically made for plastics. There are also special buffs made for plastics as well. They are great for restoring a very high luster to plastics as long as the sanding is done first. Eastwood sells this compound and the buffs.

www.eastwood.com

Here is the buffing compound:

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-buff-comp...3-oz-tube.html
King Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #157
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Mouse View Post
Tag,

There is a buffing compound specifically made for plastics. There are also special buffs made for plastics as well. They are great for restoring a very high luster to plastics as long as the sanding is done first. Eastwood sells this compound and the buffs.

www.eastwood.com

Here is the buffing compound:

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-buff-comp...3-oz-tube.html
See? Now THAT is why I love the site! ...helping others out. I was wondering if I was really going to get that plastic to look completely clear again and I knew I could (since the headlight type cleaning stuff), but I just didn't know how. THANK YOU. I'll go pick some up today.

Also, does anyone know (or has anyone tried) actually removing the paint WITHOUT sanding? I've tried paint thinner and the paint won't come off. The excess paint I painted on (to test color matching) came right off, but the original paint won't come off. If I can't find a good paint remover, I'm just going to sand, sand, sand and then use the eastwood plastic compound. Rick, I know you said you did. But, did it work? Did you use a water based remover? Oil based? What type and did it work?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #158
FwyFlyer
 
FwyFlyer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 288
power lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorick View Post
Try this video.... This one doesn't use the copper tape.... Same results

Thanks for the link to the alternative technique for soldering the EL wire. One more question (for now ) Where did you find the power lead harness that fits the GM ABL connection?
Thanks, Rick
FwyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:59 AM   #159
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwyFlyer View Post
Thanks for the link to the alternative technique for soldering the EL wire. One more question (for now ) Where did you find the power lead harness that fits the GM ABL connection?
Thanks, Rick


On the other hand, I have the GM ABL blue light connection that I could splice. I'd rather keep that whole and just sell the parts to someone who wants them. If I could find the connector, it would be a lot more inexpensive and easier to cut.

Also, I said screw the paint thinner, remover crap. I went ahead and broke out the sander. Got the paint off and went with 400 grit, 800 grit, 1000 grit, and finally 1,500 grit. After that, I was putting stuff away and what did I come across???

Meguires Plasti-X.

It's basically used for refinishing plastic headlight covers. No kidding, I m thinking to myself. I break out the orbital buffer, toss on a polishing cloth, add the compound, and BAM! Clear as day. Sure, there's a few imperfections, but I don't think that's going to show up after paint.

So, it worked out perfectly.

Now, to go to the post office to ship off all the parts to get painted! I can't wait!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #160
skuttduck


 
skuttduck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Join Date: May 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 2,530
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwyFlyer View Post
Thanks for the link to the alternative technique for soldering the EL wire. One more question (for now ) Where did you find the power lead harness that fits the GM ABL connection?
Thanks, Rick
I've been Pm'd several times, but during the initial ABL thread it was discovered that the Molex WMLX-208 connector will fit the GM ABL connection.

In fact I used it to wire up 8 LED's on the passenger side.

Here's a link to where you can purchase the WMLX-208 connectors.
http://www.electronicplus.com/conten...=PC&subcat=PHE

I was able to find a specialty electronics shop locally that carries them. Anyone from Lansing, MI or nearby can get them at Fulton Electronics on South Pennsylvania Ave.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:12 AM   #161
FwyFlyer
 
FwyFlyer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 288
Napa auto parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post


On the other hand, I have the GM ABL blue light connection that I could splice. I'd rather keep that whole and just sell the parts to someone who wants them. If I could find the connector, it would be a lot more inexpensive and easier to cut.

Now, to go to the post office to ship off all the parts to get painted! I can't wait!
Well, I found the conector at Napa auto parts. It's just the female end with an 8" lead to plug into ABL connector. It costs $17 , don't know why, it's used everywhere on GM vehicles. It IS cheaper to get the light harness from the Chevy dealer at $15 and cut it.
Napa was unable to find the male end to it in their parts listings, but don't really need one. Someone else mentioned they got one from the seatbelt sensor at a boneyard, and someone else used the Molex 208 connector to make their own and I've heard that the female connector from ELwire fits too but it's only 22gw. The Napa's version of the AC Delco part PT146 is EC156.
I'm going to wait till my parts get here to see what else I need.

Last edited by FwyFlyer; 01-04-2010 at 09:39 PM.
FwyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #162
FwyFlyer
 
FwyFlyer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 288
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
I've been Pm'd several times, but during the initial ABL thread it was discovered that the Molex WMLX-208 connector will fit the GM ABL connection.

In fact I used it to wire up 8 LED's on the passenger side.

Here's a link to where you can purchase the WMLX-208 connectors.
http://www.electronicplus.com/conten...=PC&subcat=PHE

I was able to find a specialty electronics shop locally that carries them. Anyone from Lansing, MI or nearby can get them at Fulton Electronics on South Pennsylvania Ave.
Thanks for the link.
Any idea what the male connector for the Molex 208 would be? It would be nice to have them also for clean inline connections.
FwyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #163
skuttduck


 
skuttduck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Join Date: May 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 2,530
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwyFlyer View Post
Thanks for the link.
Any idea what the male connector for the Molex 208 would be? It would be nice to have them also for clean inline connections.
If it were me, I would use the information from the link and see if you can find something. (2 contacts .156" spacing).

If I were to guess, the WMLX-239 connector would work, but it is a right angle mount.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #164
Class1E
 
Class1E's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Big Lake, MN
Posts: 392
Mod #1 when I get my car. Very nice job!
__________________
Class1E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #165
Russell James


 
Russell James's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Drag, #37 TA Stock Car, '15 ILE
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,748
Any way to dim the radio as a DIY project? My ambient lighting isn't modified. I've just left it pretty much turned down so you can't see it because if I turn it up at night to be able to see it, the radio is then so bright it is annoying.

Anyone else bugged by how bright the radio and center section in the IP is between the speedo and tac? I'd love to dim just those two things.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:15 AM   #166
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,569
Ok...so, we now have a couple types of connectors which would work with the already installed ABL connector??

You guys are getting me confused. Which connector would be best for use to plug into the existing ABL plug on the side and behind the gauges?

Do we have a specific guaranteed plug?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #167
JCO2185
RIDING ON AIR
 
JCO2185's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Summit White
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 968
i cant wait to do this mod to my car
JCO2185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #168
FwyFlyer
 
FwyFlyer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 288
Napa Auto Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Ok...so, we now have a couple types of connectors which would work with the already installed ABL connector??

You guys are getting me confused. Which connector would be best for use to plug into the existing ABL plug on the side and behind the gauges?

Do we have a specific guaranteed plug?
Napa's version of the AC Delco part PT146 is EC156. It has 8" leads ready to splice to whatever you need power to. (12w inverter) It is the same plug that comes on the LED harness from GM. It cost me $17.
Name:  Napa EC156.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  464.5 KB
FwyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.