Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:08 AM   #1
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Awesome tip for Mequires Swirl Remover.

I use Farecla products pretty well exclusively. Sometimes I try some off the shelf stuff just to see how it works. This stuff worked really well. You really have to watch the bite on the paint (basically even coverage with the right pressure) The more you work it the better. However the stuff was a pain to wipe off. So heres the best way to remove it. Just wash the car, dry and apply a good thick coat or double boat of wax. I give the swirl remover an 8/10 As far as the effectiveness on removing swirls it lost because of the removal but the washing off the car to get rid of it does eliminate some marks that may be caused from working it off with a microfiber.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Not sure which one in specific you used, but for actually removing swirls, Meguiars 105 is tough to beat. Its ability to correct paint is really fantastic.
Here is a 50/50 shot from an Aston Martin DB9 detail that I did. This is just one pass using 105.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
Chris thanks for the pic, that looks great! Can you buy Meguiars 105 off the shelf? I used SwirlX this weekend and it worked well, the harder you work it in the better and then I Turtle Iced it. I had no probs getting the SwirlX off. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Chris@glimmerglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpackers View Post
Chris thanks for the pic, that looks great! Can you buy Meguiars 105 off the shelf? I used SwirlX this weekend and it worked well, the harder you work it in the better and then I Turtle Iced it. I had no probs getting the SwirlX off. Thanks!
anytime! I'm honestly not sure. I would imagine you can find it locally, but probably not at a pep boys type place. You'd be better off trying a sherwin williams (although they usually carry 3m, but w/ the merger now, ya never know), or a local body shop who deals w/ Megs.
105 is going to be significantly stronger than Swirl-x, just fyi. And although 105 can be used by hand, to use it to its true potential, I'd recommend using it at least via porter cable and orange pad.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
Thanks, and I wish we had a Pep boys in Lincoln, hint, hint. This worked pretty well for now, but by spring I might need to find some M105! I mostly learned NEVER let anyone else wash and dry your car!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Chris@glimmerglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpackers View Post
Thanks, and I wish we had a Pep boys in Lincoln, hint, hint. This worked pretty well for now, but by spring I might need to find some M105! I mostly learned NEVER let anyone else wash and dry your car!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pep boys is ok. I just go there for oil/filters and stuff like that.
If you need 105, just let me know. Only takes a few days to Nebraska, so come springtime take a few days to plan for the detail and we can certainly get some out to you in more than enough time
Old 10-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
NVMY68SS
Drives #296

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS - 350/5 Speed
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+ULTRA+32
#296 Delivered 6-1-09 Dynoed 10-3-09 384.56HP 387.65TQ with the bolt-ons listed, no tune.....yet!
Roto-Fab CAI (Install pics here), Doug Thorley Shorties, Flowmaster American Thunder 409S Cat Back Vid
NVMY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Chris@glimmerglass

Yep! Same stuff I linked to above. Just depends who you'd rather get it from. Me, or Megs.... hopefully you'd rather me, lol
Old 10-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
The SwirlX works good as stated above. I, too, noted that it comes off much easier if you remove it right away and dont let it dry too well, especially if you get it on the plastic trim.

NOTE: I noticed that less = better. Very thin application seemed to polish faster, probably because using too much product makes for a slippery pad that can't work well.
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote