Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
nickruta

Drives: 2010 black camaro
So is my dealer RIPPING ME OFF?!

Ok so today is the day, Im going and picking up my baby from the dealer at noon. Then I get a call from the detail guy at the dealership, He tells me that he recommends I let them SEAL THE PAINT, with paint sealer. With a product they say the paint is then guaranteed no to fade, or corrode, and will be very very tough after.They are charging me 500 bucks for this service. He says for any other car its 850 but because the car is brand new its 500 bucks. Can someone verify that there is such a process of Sealing the paint and that its worth 500 ?
He says paint has pores just like skins and that this process will seal the pores and make the soft paint a HARD surface. He also says the car will look more shiny.
nickruta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
phew. ok. Lets see if I can shade a little light on this. I'll make the assumption that this one the dealer is trying to sell you is similar to a product that I was in talks with over using. Fwiw, Theres another thread just like this a few posts down.

There is a difference between this coating that they're offering and what a typical "paint sealant" that say, myself or another vendor would sell to a consumer. Now, whether or not that coating is worth it to you, well, thats for you to determine. A manufacturer that I deal w/ was tossing around the idea of offering such a product, albeit only available to us distributors, and not to the consumer as an end user type of product. We would have had specific training on application and it would've been offered to dealerships and as a retail application. The one difference in this product and why it required specific training was due to the fact that you couldnt just wash it off, like you can w/ other waxes and sealants. A simple citrus cleaner, dawn detergent or similar wouldnt remove this stuff. Instead, it would've required machine buffing to remove the coating and start over with it.
The benefit was extended durability over your standard carnauba waxes and polymer sealants. Manufacturer claims are always exaggerated, but claims were in years, not months fwiw. This is great for someone who doesnt necessarily want to maintain their finish. However, if you are the type of person who does, I could, for example, sell you a bottle of OptiSeal (polymer paint sealant that'll last a few months), which looks great on the finish and for 24.99 that 8oz bottle will last you a couple of years if you apply it every 3 months. Run the numbers and I think you'll find that 25 bux is a little better than 500 Even if you become addicted to detailing and purchase a slue of other products, you still come in under that 500 dollar number, but have products that you enjoy using on a vehicle you (I assume) enjoy spending time with.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
never heard of this one before
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote