Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences Share review & feedback on vendors and sellers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
linkwpc
The punching cat
 
linkwpc's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 4,032
Hurst Shifter Review on 2SS

Review of Hurst Shifter (part number # 3916030) Also works with the V6 and SS models
I just got my Hurst Shifter installed at B & M/Hurst in chatsworth, CA. First of all I got to say they these guys are great! They install was quick and they knew what they were doing. The main installer Kenji Takahashi, which is the Vice president of engineering and quality control, installed my shift perfectly and everything looks and works great! Thanks again you guys!

Now for the review of the shifter on a 2SS. The stock shifter was working fine but the throws are a bit too long and sometimes it did not shift very smoothly. It was very hard to be confident on what gear will be shifting to like shifting from 2nd to 3rd and it was hard to tell if you have shifted into 3rd for sure. This is not longer a problem with the Hurst shifter. Wow what a big difference it makes with this thing! I have used this shifter for 5 days now and took it for about 250 miles and it gets better and better! I feel much more confident in shifting! The throws are shorter by 40% and it much smoother and precise! When you shift it from 2nd to 3rd it has a click type of sound and you know for sure then it’s in gear! I feel that you can drive faster and harder than ever before! I just love this thing!

Also you can pick other shifter knobs from Hurst to fit with this shifter. It comes with a white ball and the 6 speed pattern on it. I switch it with a different on from Hurst with the Hurst logo on it. But you can fits lots of different once from T-bars, to pistol grips, to other ball styles! Also the kit comes with a stock adaptor to make the kit work with your stock shifter if you do not use the Hurst chrome stick. So it can look stock but it would not be!

Now for some of the down falls. Its shifter make more sounds then the stock shifter. It you hear the click sound more now than before. But that can get a good thing to know that you are in gear for sure! Also you hear the transmission changing gears more on the outside too. But when you are driving the car you can hardly hear that. The sound does not bad for me, I like it!

Now for some pictures: (It’s was little dark when I took these. I will take some more later) (There will be install video from Hurst soon)






Link to hurst’s site : http://www.hurst-shifters.com/hurst-...4Pa38Ta38Sahr0
Here is the video:
__________________
My car build (COTW 7/23/12) - - - - - - > CLICK HERE! : http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80725

Last edited by linkwpc; 01-20-2010 at 07:32 PM.
linkwpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Camaro509

 
Camaro509's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,087
Very nice.
Others have mentioned a little more drive train noise after install as well, I'd be o.k. with that as long as it wasn't excessive.

Plus, that Hurst looks so much better than the stock...
__________________
Understeer, Oversteer, Wheel Alignment (Camber etc), Torque, Horsepower, Camaro

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem
 
slick rick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Foothill Ranch, CA
Posts: 5,460
Thanks for the review. I'm definitely going to get one installed
__________________
slick rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
franknbeans
Whipped
 
franknbeans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CAMARO
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pittsburgh-ish - PA
Posts: 4,096
i've been looking on their site for the pistol grip handle and can not find it... anyone else see these?
__________________
The "ManCard"

franknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
linkwpc
The punching cat
 
linkwpc's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 4,032
They have this one in black: http://www.hurst-shifters.com/hurst-...BLACK-ANODIZED

And this one with a picture: http://www.hurst-shifters.com/hurst-...TURAL-FINISH_2
__________________
My car build (COTW 7/23/12) - - - - - - > CLICK HERE! : http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80725
linkwpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
franknbeans
Whipped
 
franknbeans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CAMARO
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pittsburgh-ish - PA
Posts: 4,096
thanks...

I like the looks of the pistol grip but it may be a little to expensive for me.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post1060655
not sure if this one leans forward enough.
__________________
The "ManCard"

franknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,765
On my list for sure.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
linkwpc
The punching cat
 
linkwpc's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 4,032
I just drove my car, and I got say... I love my new shifter
__________________
My car build (COTW 7/23/12) - - - - - - > CLICK HERE! : http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80725
linkwpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
subzero05
 
Drives: 2010 tbd
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: california
Posts: 617
looks great!..great write up!
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
Thanks for the review. I'm definitely going to get one installed
If you go next weekend i think that they will do the install for you. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44377

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkwpc View Post
I just drove my car, and I got say... I love my new shifter
So you met Kenji Takahashi He and subzero05 are the best guys out there if you have any thing you need this is the guys you want with you.
__________________
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #11
TRooper
Resident Stormtrooper
 
TRooper's Avatar
 
Drives: Creations n' Chrome Red Mustang GT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 182
Thanks for lending us your Camaro for the video David. I'm glad you are enjoying the shifter. BTW, it was nice hangiong out with you at Bob's Big Boy. I hope the traffic on the way home wasn't too bad.

The video will be up soon, these things take time as we want to edit it properly and make sure it's the best video possible. You guys (and gals) will not be disappointed.
TRooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
linkwpc
The punching cat
 
linkwpc's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 4,032
Yeah traffic was BAD that night... But I was playing with the new shifter so it was able to handle it It was great talking to you too. I'm a car guy, it does not matter what I own. I just love to talk about cars. I cannot wait to see the video
__________________
My car build (COTW 7/23/12) - - - - - - > CLICK HERE! : http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80725
linkwpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem
 
slick rick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Foothill Ranch, CA
Posts: 5,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRooper View Post
The video will be up soon, these things take time as we want to edit it properly and make sure it's the best video possible. You guys (and gals) will not be disappointed.
__________________
slick rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
linkwpc
The punching cat
 
linkwpc's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 4,032
__________________
My car build (COTW 7/23/12) - - - - - - > CLICK HERE! : http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80725
linkwpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #15
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..
 
FrankT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central NC
Posts: 678
I have nothing but good things to say about this shifter. Easy install (about an hour). I too went with a different shift knob (the Hurst black billet one). Makes me hope the light changes so I can go through the gears again!
__________________
Currently in the fleet... 2010 ZR1 Corvette, 2014 Cadillac CTS-V, 2010 Camaro SS single turbo, 2014 GMC Sierra SLT crew cab, 1967 Camaro SS350, 1969 Camaro SS427.

Build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47925
FrankT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #16
als 011 z28
 
Drives: 09 ZR1, 08 Viper ACR, 10 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southern, California
Posts: 48
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkwpc View Post
Review of Hurst Shifter (part number # 3916030) Also works with the V6 and SS models
I just got my Hurst Shifter installed at B & M/Hurst in chatsworth, CA. First of all I got to say they these guys are great! They install was quick and they knew what they were doing. The main installer Kenji Takahashi, which is the Vice president of engineering and quality control, installed my shift perfectly and everything looks and works great! Thanks again you guys!

Now for the review of the shifter on a 2SS. The stock shifter was working fine but the throws are a bit too long and sometimes it did not shift very smoothly. It was very hard to be confident on what gear will be shifting to like shifting from 2nd to 3rd and it was hard to tell if you have shifted into 3rd for sure. This is not longer a problem with the Hurst shifter. Wow what a big difference it makes with this thing! I have used this shifter for 5 days now and took it for about 250 miles and it gets better and better! I feel much more confident in shifting! The throws are shorter by 40% and it much smoother and precise! When you shift it from 2nd to 3rd it has a click type of sound and you know for sure then it’s in gear! I feel that you can drive faster and harder than ever before! I just love this thing!

Also you can pick other shifter knobs from Hurst to fit with this shifter. It comes with a white ball and the 6 speed pattern on it. I switch it with a different on from Hurst with the Hurst logo on it. But you can fits lots of different once from T-bars, to pistol grips, to other ball styles! Also the kit comes with a stock adaptor to make the kit work with your stock shifter if you do not use the Hurst chrome stick. So it can look stock but it would not be!

Now for some of the down falls. Its shifter make more sounds then the stock shifter. It you hear the click sound more now than before. But that can get a good thing to know that you are in gear for sure! Also you hear the transmission changing gears more on the outside too. But when you are driving the car you can hardly hear that. The sound does not bad for me, I like it!

Now for some pictures: (It’s was little dark when I took these. I will take some more later) (There will be install video from Hurst soon)






Link to hurst’s site : http://www.hurst-shifters.com/hurst-...4Pa38Ta38Sahr0
I recently had the Hurst Shifter Installed & I Love it. However, I want a Black Shifter with the Hurst Logo LIKE YOURS & can't seem to find one. The Hurst website says they are out of stock & I can't seem to get ahold of anyone there. Where did you get yours?
als 011 z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #17
linkwpc
The punching cat
 
linkwpc's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 4,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by als 011 z28 View Post
I recently had the Hurst Shifter Installed & I Love it. However, I want a Black Shifter with the Hurst Logo LIKE YOURS & can't seem to find one. The Hurst website says they are out of stock & I can't seem to get ahold of anyone there. Where did you get yours?
I got mine from TRooper. PM him and you will get a answer right away!
__________________
My car build (COTW 7/23/12) - - - - - - > CLICK HERE! : http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80725
linkwpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'm stupid late to this party...but is the stock adapter an extra-cost option? Or do you get a decreased cost because you don't use the chrome stem?
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #19
linkwpc
The punching cat
 
linkwpc's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 4,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm stupid late to this party...but is the stock adapter an extra-cost option? Or do you get a decreased cost because you don't use the chrome stem?
No, its not extra. It comes with the kit.
__________________
My car build (COTW 7/23/12) - - - - - - > CLICK HERE! : http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80725
linkwpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkwpc View Post
No, its not extra. It comes with the kit.
That's excellent! Thanks!
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #21
Rickerbucks

 
Drives: 2 SS RS,
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Surrey BC Canada
Posts: 843
What is the time to install? An hour someone said. That right?
Rickerbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #22
subzero05
 
Drives: 2010 tbd
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: california
Posts: 617
an hour or so is about average to install it.
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #23
JackRabitSlims
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 84
With the hurst installed, does it still lock out Reverse when in drive for the SS? Thanks
JackRabitSlims is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
quick question re hurst shifter delius V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) 19 01-18-2013 11:59 PM
KILLER's Camaro Hurst Billet/Plus Shifter Video KILLER74Z28 V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) 79 04-13-2010 03:09 PM
HURST SHIFTER AND WHITE CAMAROS Pslab Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 2 05-15-2009 10:57 AM
Hurst Shifter 69er 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 91 02-23-2009 06:05 PM
2010 Camaro for SEMA -- New Videos: GM Performance Parts teases socialomar Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 142 11-04-2008 11:55 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.