Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,601
Why i think you cant do a Dyno in the same day

This is what i can tell you from calls and PM's that i have had with some of the PPL at and with Vararam, If you try to do a dyno on the same time as was the test this weekend what happens is this car dos not compensate fast, How do i know this? One way is that dynos where done on a car that made 411 rwhp on three pulls and then we put OEM air box on the car and did a pull and the first pull made 396 RWHP and the next PULL made 392 RWHP, So the car came off the dyno and we had a hard time driving it as it did not run right and it was driven for some 30 mi and it was running bad, Not that it was dying but not right so it was almost 150 mi before it ran right and the next day it was back to the Dyno for a new pull and this time it pulled a nice 382 RWHP, Now this is not my car but it was the guy in TX car, This why i say that the test was a wast of time as you need to drive this car for it to find it happy spot, I sent a long time ago a pm to your friend and my friend TAG UR IT with the PM's of this results this was on 9-17-09.

One more thing, the unit i have has a smaller air filter in it so my AFR is at 12.4 at WOT and that is in the tail pipe after the cats, The other unit has a 11.8 that not what is wanted Vararam wants 12.4 to 12.8 to 1 at WOT.

I dont have all the words to or the Engineering lingo for you, all i know is what i have seen, and was told by Vararam and 50 years of common sense, So if you think that any of the units on the list will work for you go and get them, But if you want the best unit hold on for a sort time you will not be wasting your time i promise you that.

And if you got some thing you want an answer to if i now it i will tel you.
__________________

Last edited by 2SSRS@Gen5diy; 10-21-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: My bad
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
GMRULZ

 
GMRULZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
This is what i can tell you from calls and PM's that i have had with some of the PPL at and with Vararam, If you try to do a dyno on the same time as was the test this weekend what happens is this car dos not compensate fast, How do i know this? One way is that dynos where done on a car that made 411 rwhp on three pulls and then we put OEM air box on the car and did a pull and the first pull made 396 RWHP and the next PULL made 392 RWHP, So the car came of the dyno and we hade a hard time driving it as it did not run right and it was driven for some 30 mi and it was running bad, Not that it was dying but not right so it was almost 150 mi before it ran right and the next day it was back to the Dyno for a new pull and this time it pulled a nice 382 RWHP, Now this is not my car but it was the guy in TX car, This why i say that the test was a wast of time as you need to drive this car for it to find it happy spot, I sent a long time ago a pm to your friend and my friend TAG UR IT with the PM's this was on 9-17-09.

One more thing thin the unit i have has a smaller air filter in it so my AFM is at 12.4 at WOT and that is in the tail pipe after the cats, The other unit has a 11.8 that not what is wanted Vararam wants 12.4 to 12.8 to 1 at WOT.

I dont have all the words to or the Engineering lingo for you, all i know is what i have seen, and was told by Vararam and 50 years of common sense, So if you think that any of the units on the list will work for you go and get them, But if you want the best unit hold on for a sort time you will not be wasting your time i promise you that.

And if you got some thing you want an answer to if i now it i will tel you.


Please man, you seem like a nice guy, the more you say you are just burying yourself IMO. Let Vararam come on here and explain their theories if you need backup. Honestly man, you are just hurting your case in my opinion the more you defend your theories..
__________________
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,601
It not a theories its a fact You dont need to believe me, I see you drag race so you tell me what is best a 9.5 AFr or A 12.5 to one AFr.

This Dyno pull.



Or this one and look at the AFR on the two.

__________________

Last edited by 2SSRS@Gen5diy; 10-21-2009 at 09:38 AM.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,601
Why is it that i cant get any one to think for them self, all tuners have a wide band to see what comes out of the tail pipe, that was the thing i had to find out for my test, if the dyno i went to had one, If not i was told its a wast of time as you will not learn a thing on how your car is running, So i called up the dyno shop and asked if he had a wide band, If you do not i will pass on my time at you shop, All tuners have one as it is how you find out what the AFR is on a car. I know my AFR do you.
__________________
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
1320junkie
Account Suspended
 
Drives: The Imperial Army
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Darkside
Posts: 15,898
I have my own thoughts on the whole test thing but I will keep them to myself.
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
Windy City

 
Windy City's Avatar
 
Drives: Not enough room here!
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
I have my own thoughts on the whole test thing but I will keep them to myself.
__________________
BEWARE OF THE LPE BROTHERHOOD!
Remember: You can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house!
Windy City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
jnewberr2ssrs
 
jnewberr2ssrs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post


Please man, you seem like a nice guy, the more you say you are just burying yourself IMO. Let Vararam come on here and explain their theories if you need backup. Honestly man, you are just hurting your case in my opinion the more you defend your theories..


Let Vararam fight it's own battles....You keep hyping them up to be bigger than the return of Jesus and honestly why is this such a big deal to you? When they come out with their product we'll see how it fairs...I don't doubt that the Vararam will be pretty cool but I don't see why you're trying to argue endlessly when a straight-shooting expert in the field with about 30 years experience is giving his time, effort, and honest opinion on the matter.

Camaro5 is supposed to unite us...Let's rock on out of the pointless arguing guys
__________________
2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS 6M with sunroof. Black exterior with black leather. Current status = 6000 (produced, delivered to customer VIN 33982 )
jnewberr2ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
Mod4SS
Resident Expert
 
Mod4SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Supercharged 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Alabama
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
...the more you say you are just burying yourself IMO. Let Vararam come on here and explain their theories if you need backup. Honestly man, you are just hurting your case in my opinion the more you defend your theories..
X 10
__________________
Mod4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
I have my own thoughts on the whole test thing but I will keep them to myself.
Why let it all out as a driver and a 1320 Junkie.
__________________
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
1320junkie
Account Suspended
 
Drives: The Imperial Army
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Darkside
Posts: 15,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Why let it all out as a driver and a 1320 Junkie.
lol..nope...
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewberr2ssrs View Post


Let Vararam fight it's own battles....You keep hyping them up to be bigger than the return of Jesus and honestly why is this such a big deal to you? When they come out with their product we'll see how it fairs...I don't doubt that the Vararam will be pretty cool but I don't see why you're trying to argue endlessly when a straight-shooting expert in the field with about 30 years experience is giving his time, effort, and honest opinion on the matter.

Camaro5 is supposed to unite us...Let's rock on out of the pointless arguing guys
Its not pointless as if it helps you find the best unit for the $ and i don't care what unit it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator4SS View Post
X 10
I hope you get what you deserve for your self.
__________________
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
lol..nope...
You know this is better than TV.
__________________
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #13
Mod4SS
Resident Expert
 
Mod4SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Supercharged 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Alabama
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Its not pointless as if it helps you find the best unit for the $ and i don't care what unit it is.
Obviously you do... have you read your posts lately?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
I hope you get what you deserve for your self


__________________
Mod4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
iBK3000
 
Drives: '04 Range Rover, Camaro 2SS 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 213
lol at this thread.
__________________
CGM 2SS/RS 6SM . No muff.
iBK3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #15
kelleyperformance
 
kelleyperformance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 197
whats all this compensating talk....? long story short, i dont think you fully understand how the PCM works in this vehicle, so please just calm down about all this man
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewberr2ssrs View Post


Let Vararam fight it's own battles....You keep hyping them up to be bigger than the return of Jesus and honestly why is this such a big deal to you? When they come out with their product we'll see how it fairs...I don't doubt that the Vararam will be pretty cool but I don't see why you're trying to argue endlessly when a straight-shooting expert in the field with about 30 years experience is giving his time, effort, and honest opinion on the matter.
well said!
__________________
kelleyperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #16
jnewberr2ssrs
 
jnewberr2ssrs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Its not pointless as if it helps you find the best unit for the $ and i don't care what unit it is.
So let me get this straight...Are you now arguing that your arguing is not pointless? lol Is there any end to this madness?

Can someone remind me - why does this remind me of Kindergarten?
"No, you're the big fat doodie head"..."Nu uh...You are!"
__________________
2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS 6M with sunroof. Black exterior with black leather. Current status = 6000 (produced, delivered to customer VIN 33982 )
jnewberr2ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #17
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,601
You got 66 posts on hear and you don't know me from Jo so you can think what you like and i can do the same, But till i see what i want i will say what i want to and i want to see the tail pipe numbers.
__________________
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #18
BlaSSt Off
 
BlaSSt Off's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 587
So if thats the case then the car ran bad with all the intakes. And if that the case then the results would still be the same. I am no expert but I think it was a pretty good test and showed wich intakes had the best gains for that situation. But in all reality, they are all just CAI's and unless you do some major modding then none of it really matters. People are making a huge deal out of all this and 95% of the people that buy a CAI will do it mainly for cosmetic and bragging rights and never even come close to using all of the potential of the product. I say stop trying to convince people wich intake is better and let people decide on thier own.
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #19
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewberr2ssrs View Post
So let me get this straight...Are you now arguing that your arguing is not pointless? lol Is there any end to this madness?

Can someone remind me - why does this remind me of Kindergarten?
"No, you're the big fat doodie head"..."Nu uh...You are!"
why dos it get you so upset that i want to see the AFR of how the car runs with the CAI's I don't think that is to much to see do you.
__________________
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #20
kelleyperformance
 
kelleyperformance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 197
so now my posts pertain to my knowledge of these motors and cars? i had no idea thats how we rated knowledge and experience around here... i wont post again in here sir, im sorry
__________________
kelleyperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #21
SRT10KLLR

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Down South
Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
It not a theories its a fact You dont need to believe me, I see you drag race so you tell me what is best a 9.5 AFM or A 12.5 to one AFM.

This Dyno pull.



Or this one and look at the AFR on the two.

AFM = Active Fuel Management
A/F = ration of Air to Fuel as is 14.7 parts Air to 1 part fuel.

A 9.5 A/F is very rich and is bad as it can wash down the cylinders. But the difference between say 11.8 and 12.4 is not significant in terms of hp gain/lost.

JFYI, stock the Camaro has an A/F that ranges from 10.92 to 11.86 depending on RPM. Most of the gains in a tune come from additional timing not leaning out the A/F.
__________________
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 RCSB Thunder Road Hemi Sport w/STS Turbo
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 - Silver - Stock
2003 Chevy 1500 RCSB Stepside 400SS - 408 in now awaiting Turbo
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #22
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

 
JANNETTYRACING's Avatar
 
Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ON THE DYNO WATERBURY CT.
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT10KLLR View Post
A 9.5 A/F is very rich and is bad as it can wash down the cylinders. But the difference between say 11.8 and 12.4 is not significant in terms of hp gain/lost.

JFYI, stock the Camaro has an A/F that ranges from 10.92 to 11.86 depending on RPM. Most of the gains in a tune come from additional timing not leaning out the A/F.
Your right if you had 9.5:1 AFR at light throttle but at WOT it is a moot point and it is more common that most would believe with factory calibrations to protect the cats from melting.

At 12.5 they will melt if held at WOT long enough.
__________________
Technical information, Parts Sales, Professional Installation, and Custom Dyno Tuning.
Please vist our web sites for all your performance needs!
Ted Jannetty
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #23
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaSSt Off View Post
So if thats the case then the car ran bad with all the intakes. And if that the case then the results would still be the same. I am no expert but I think it was a pretty good test and showed wich intakes had the best gains for that situation. But in all reality, they are all just CAI's and unless you do some major modding then none of it really matters. People are making a huge deal out of all this and 95% of the people that buy a CAI will do it mainly for cosmetic and bragging rights and never even come close to using all of the potential of the product. I say stop trying to convince people wich intake is better and let people decide on thier own.
I am doing this for me like i said buy what you want.
All i want is to see is this for any one of the CAI and the stock car.( got this from a site you know HP tune.)
Attached Images
 
__________________
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #24
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,601
And at part throttle the car runs at over 14 to 1 and as sone as you go to wot it dropes and we still do not have a number for all the test units.
__________________
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #25
SRT10KLLR

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Down South
Posts: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Your right if you had 9.5:1 AFR at light throttle but at WOT it is a moot point and it is more common that most would believe with factory calibrations to protect the cats from melting.

At 12.5 they will melt if held at WOT long enough.
That is probably why the stock tune has a "Cat protection mode" and why it comes so rich. But how long is too long at 12.5 at WOT. Couple of 1/4 mile runs, couple minutes etc.? The Camaro and Silverado have no cats but the Hemi and Expedition still do and I have been know to run at WOT for extended(hours) periods of time in Mexico(my Autobahn, lol).
__________________
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 RCSB Thunder Road Hemi Sport w/STS Turbo
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 - Silver - Stock
2003 Chevy 1500 RCSB Stepside 400SS - 408 in now awaiting Turbo
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CRUISE / OPEN HOUSE FREE DYNO TIME tandtperformance USA - Mid-Atlantic 91 12-08-2009 04:09 PM
DYNO DAY!! Oct 10th, Cincy Speed!! Qwkss USA - Great Lakes 6 10-10-2009 09:13 AM
Cincy Speed Dyno Day NastyZ28 USA - Great Lakes 14 10-04-2009 08:45 PM
NLP/Camaro5 Dyno Day & BBQ Photos! fsuredneck Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 40 09-15-2009 09:51 AM
June 20th FREE DYNO PULLS and Pedders DAY At East TExas MUscle Cars east TX Muscle cars USA - Texas 2 07-10-2009 05:38 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.