Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013, 01:12 AM   #12276
tramtwo


 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I went on SVT Performance and was reading a thread they had. It was mostly the general fan boy responses about the Camaro being for hillbillies with a mullet and the Camaro being a fat pig or how it takes GM 7.0 liters to make 500 HP.

These hillbilly cars sure can corner!!

Still have yet to see a single mustang in any form post up better track times than the lowly SS 1LE.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #12277
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Sticky this thread already!!

Japanese anyone.... this is an awesome video on CCM Brembo Brakes.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=450819308261990


Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
These hillbilly cars sure can corner!!

Still have yet to see a single mustang in any form post up better track times than the lowly SS 1LE.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #12278
*007
 
Drives: Getaway Special
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Globe Trotter - CIU
Posts: 274
Martini's and Mustangs just do not blend well.
__________________
Sip:
*007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #12279
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,004
Out in Autoblog.com they are all "I can't wait to see comparisons to the Boss" not realizing the ZL1 already beat the Boss.

This here Z28 has no competitor. In the Pony car world this is the top predator on the track. You can have other discussions on comfort, ability to drive on vacation, etc. but for what this car is engineered to do it is the top of the food chain.

And I'm sure the pricing will be high but I also don't think it will be as high as the only other car in this consideration set for track car, the Z06.
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #12280
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Out in Autoblog.com they are all "I can't wait to see comparisons to the Boss" not realizing the ZL1 already beat the Boss.

This here Z28 has no competitor. In the Pony car world this is the top predator on the track. You can have other discussions on comfort, ability to drive on vacation, etc. but for what this car is engineered to do it is the top of the food chain.

And I'm sure the pricing will be high but I also don't think it will be as high as the only other car in this consideration set for track car, the Z06.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #12281
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 3,903
Pete, in your first hand experience with Petty Garage, is there any possibility of an SRT from Auburn Hills approaching the Z/28 in dynamics?
__________________
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #12282
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Pete, in your first hand experience with Petty Garage, is there any possibility of an SRT from Auburn Hills approaching the Z/28 in dynamics?
We built one with Petty. Our frustration is a deficiency in the OEM computer CAL or sensors. When we exceed 1.38 Gs the computer throws the engine into limp mode. The SRT engineers have looked at the car and cannot provide an answer. The LX or LC Chrysler chassis do not have the structural integrity of the 5th Gen. They never met a brace they didn't like or need. With the braces in place the cars are much improved. The front of the LX and LC have upper and lower control arms. That is a huge plus. The IRS is pretty equal with the plus going to the 5th Gen for superior differential mounting.

Long story short, it is possible.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #12283
GoldenBear
Bear Backer
 
GoldenBear's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,491
I do get a kick out of all of the whining that I have seen regarding the new Z/28. To me the whining highlights the fact that there are some people that one simply can't please, and that there are some people who apparently just like to whine.

As was with the 1967 Z/28, the new Z/28 is track focused, and is certainly not for everyone.

However, as others have mentioned, with the introduction of the new Z/28, there now is practically a Camaro for everyone, just as there was in 1967. Now, as then, there are 6-cylinders and 8-cylinders, coupes and convertibles, RS's, SS's, and RS/SS's, an available high performance engine with more than enough low end torque to roast one's tires (L78 then, LSA now), and a track oriented Z/28. These days if one can't find a Camaro that satisfies one's desires, maybe one simply isn't that into Camaros.

There always seem to be some who essentially want something for nothing. High performance vehicles, for a number of reasons, are simply relatively more expensive today than they were in the 1960s. That is not likely to change, so we're not likely to see ever again the type of inexpensive performance that was available in 1967, but we should be thankful that there are certainly a lot a high performance vehicles from which to choose today. And, another bright spot is that today's high performance vehicles are much, much better vehicles than those that were built in the 1960s.

Let's congratulate Chevrolet on doing a superb job of really listening to their enthusiasts and building a vehicle that is truly worthy of wearing the hallowed Z/28 nameplate.
__________________
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #12284
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I do get a kick out of all of the whining that I have seen regarding the new Z/28. To me the whining highlights the fact that there are some people that one simply can't please, and that there are some people who apparently just like to whine.

As was with the 1967 Z/28, the new Z/28 is track focused, and is certainly not for everyone.

However, as others have mentioned, with the introduction of the new Z/28, there now is practically a Camaro for everyone, just as there was in 1967. Now, as then, there are 6-cylinders and 8-cylinders, coupes and convertibles, RS's, SS's, and RS/SS's, an available high performance engine with more than enough low end torque to roast one's tires (L78 then, LSA now), and a track oriented Z/28. These days if one can't find a Camaro that satisfies one's desires, maybe one simply isn't that into Camaros.

There always seem to be some who essentially want something for nothing. High performance vehicles, for a number of reasons, are simply relatively more expensive today than they were in the 1960s. That is not likely to change, so we're not likely to see ever again the type of inexpensive performance that was available in 1967, but we should be thankful that there are certainly a lot a high performance vehicles from which to choose today. And, another bright spot is that today's high performance vehicles are much, much better vehicles than those that were built in the 1960s.

Let's congratulate Chevrolet on doing a superb job of really listening to their enthusiasts and building a vehicle that is truly worthy of wearing the hallowed Z/28 nameplate.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #12285
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I went on SVT Performance and was reading a thread they had. It was mostly the general fan boy responses about the Camaro being for hillbillies with a mullet and the Camaro being a fat pig or how it takes GM 7.0 liters to make 500 HP.
I guess ignorance is bliss. (the problem is everyone else knows)
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #12286
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Out in Autoblog.com they are all "I can't wait to see comparisons to the Boss" not realizing the ZL1 already beat the Boss.

This here Z28 has no competitor. In the Pony car world this is the top predator on the track. You can have other discussions on comfort, ability to drive on vacation, etc. but for what this car is engineered to do it is the top of the food chain.

And I'm sure the pricing will be high but I also don't think it will be as high as the only other car in this consideration set for track car, the Z06.
That is why I made the comment that a Ferrari 458 would beat it around a track (though probably not hugely). It will take that kind of firepower to compete with this "our" Z/28.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #12287
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I do get a kick out of all of the whining that I have seen regarding the new Z/28. To me the whining highlights the fact that there are some people that one simply can't please, and that there are some people who apparently just like to whine.

As was with the 1967 Z/28, the new Z/28 is track focused, and is certainly not for everyone.

However, as others have mentioned, with the introduction of the new Z/28, there now is practically a Camaro for everyone, just as there was in 1967. Now, as then, there are 6-cylinders and 8-cylinders, coupes and convertibles, RS's, SS's, and RS/SS's, an available high performance engine with more than enough low end torque to roast one's tires (L78 then, LSA now), and a track oriented Z/28. These days if one can't find a Camaro that satisfies one's desires, maybe one simply isn't that into Camaros.

There always seem to be some who essentially want something for nothing. High performance vehicles, for a number of reasons, are simply relatively more expensive today than they were in the 1960s. That is not likely to change, so we're not likely to see ever again the type of inexpensive performance that was available in 1967, but we should be thankful that there are certainly a lot a high performance vehicles from which to choose today. And, another bright spot is that today's high performance vehicles are much, much better vehicles than those that were built in the 1960s.

Let's congratulate Chevrolet on doing a superb job of really listening to their enthusiasts and building a vehicle that is truly worthy of wearing the hallowed Z/28 nameplate.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #12288
Blizzard
Searching for the truth
 
Blizzard's Avatar
 
Drives: 85 K-10
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Starkville, Mississippi
Posts: 590
As much as I like the new look, minus the hood vent which to me looks to small, I must say I am sadden and have a

For a long time I have been waiting for a Z/28 to be shown with an LS7. I have wanted one since the 06 concept Camaro, and new I really wanted the LS7 know what it can do and seeing it in the LS7 concept car.

But I can not wait for the Z/28 to be produced spring next year or this fall for that matter. I also can not afford a car more then the ZL1, I can't afford a ZL1 for that matter.

I don't want people to think I am bashing what the engineers were able to do with this car, because what they did was amazing and is in the end everything I wanted and for that I them. But it was I who was going to do those mod over time as I could afford them, all I was wishing for was a 1ss with an LS7 as we have described many times over here in the Z/28 section at a price point around 45k.

I know one of the main drives for the high price point and the addition of other expensive components was due to the low production numbers of the LS7 currently, but I think It would have been worth it for GM to hire more engine builders to make LS7's for a low priced Z/28. I think they would have sold more then enough to cover the overhead costs to do so.

I feel GM could have done/ could still do/ maybe is going to treat the Z/28 like Ford did the Boss and create two versions, aka a boss Laguna Saca version of the Z/28 which we all have now seen and a more daily driver boss version Z/28 which is a 1ss with the Recaro seats, LS7 drive train, and aerodynamic parts as the only upgrades. Let me upgrade the brakes later. Let me put in thinner glass. Let me remove the interior weight.

I guess it just sucks to want something so bad and know you can't get it.
__________________
2013 1LE 1SS RS TPW 4/29
Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #12289
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,312
So now that we have had time to digest everything..... Is anybody in the house going to pull the trigger and purchase a Z/28?
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #12290
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
So now that we have had time to digest everything..... Is anybody in the house going to pull the trigger and purchase a Z/28?
That depends entirely on my situation next year. I should be graduating some time next year with a degree in engineering. If I can find a good job and have enough saved up, I'll try to get one. If not a 2014, then I will go after a 2015.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #12291
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,143
It also depends on the price and maybe most important of all availability. I can see dealers demanding a premium. Do I want one? Yes. Can I allocate the funds for one at ZL1 pricing, yes. At 65 maybe. At 75 and up iffy, but I want one.

Help Pete Buy a Z/28. BUY MORE PEDDERS!!!!
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #12292
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
It also depends on the price and maybe most important of all availability. I can see dealers demanding a premium. Do I want one? Yes. Can I allocate the funds for one at ZL1 pricing, yes. At 65 maybe. At 75 and up iffy, but I want one.

Help Pete Buy a Z/28. BUY MORE PEDDERS!!!!
That's my thought as well. I was concerned about dealer gouging before now I'm just plain scared.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #12293
*007
 
Drives: Getaway Special
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Globe Trotter - CIU
Posts: 274
Anyone having a ZL1 will have to think long and hard about switching to a Z/28. It appears that if it weren't for the 300 shed pounds, it might not have been faster than a ZL1 on a circle track. Plus, add the bigger tires on front. I understand, the heat soak issues on the ZL1 would be a limiting factor there, but for the few times they meet on a 1/4 strip, I'm not so sure the Z/28 will dominate. lbs/hp seems to favor ZL1 in that case.

So.... switch? Not if I had a ZL1. The only thing I could see switching out on a current ZL1 to get would be if GM just happened to put in an LS9 in Gen 6... or maybe a Gen 5!!

ZL1 Owners shouldn't feel left at the alter at this point. I just see too many fast ZL1's getting into low 11's with bolts ons. Has there been any mention of warranty? I assume it will remain 5/100.
__________________
Sip:
*007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #12294
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,143
The Z/28 is not a 1/4 mile car. It is a road course car.

The ZL1 is a GREAT all round performance car.

A ZL1 would still not beat the Z/28 around a road course, even if it were 300 pounds lighter. The Z/28's lower CG alone makes a significant difference. Add to that the specially tuned coils and dampers, CC Brakes, dry sump motor, less unsprung weight, less unsprung rotating mass... It is a race car vs a street car.

One very important thought. The Z/28 isn't better than a ZL1. It is faster around a road course. The ZL1 isdn't better than the Z/28. It is faster in the 1/4 mile. They are both Zs, but they are very different Zs.

One last thought, they are both better PEDDERISED.

__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #12295
*007
 
Drives: Getaway Special
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Globe Trotter - CIU
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The Z/28 is not a 1/4 mile car. It is a road course car.

The ZL1 is a GREAT all round performance car.

A ZL1 would still not beat the Z/28 around a road course, even if it were 300 pounds lighter. The Z/28's lower CG alone makes a significant difference. Add to that the specially tuned coils and dampers, CC Brakes, dry sump motor, less unsprung weight, less unsprung rotating mass... It is a race car vs a street car.

One very important thought. The Z/28 isn't better than a ZL1. It is faster around a road course. The ZL1 isdn't better than the Z/28. It is faster in the 1/4 mile. They are both Zs, but they are very different Zs.

One last thought, they are both better PEDDERISED.


__________________
Sip:
*007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #12296
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The Z/28 is not a 1/4 mile car. It is a road course car.

The ZL1 is a GREAT all round performance car.

A ZL1 would still not beat the Z/28 around a road course, even if it were 300 pounds lighter. The Z/28's lower CG alone makes a significant difference. Add to that the specially tuned coils and dampers, CC Brakes, dry sump motor, less unsprung weight, less unsprung rotating mass... It is a race car vs a street car.

One very important thought. The Z/28 isn't better than a ZL1. It is faster around a road course. The ZL1 isdn't better than the Z/28. It is faster in the 1/4 mile. They are both Zs, but they are very different Zs.

One last thought, they are both better PEDDERISED.

Good response.
So tell me what and why (the details) Pedder's on the Z28. Thanks.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #12297
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Good response.
So tell me what and why (the details) Pedder's on the Z28. Thanks.
Mark will have done nothing less than a brilliant job with the dampers and spring rates. That doesn't mean they are perfect for every track or driver. The gain in Z/28 CG is almost all in the wheel and tire package. We can improve the CG by going lower. The strut mounting location is not changed on the Z/28. SAI can be improved and we can gain more camber adjustment.

I haven't given it much thought, but those are few details that come to mind
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #12298
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,026
Great start!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #12299
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,004
Love all the chatter in the house. Like having the family home for the holiday.
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #12300
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,026
Yes, but even better. I can't get enough.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro vs House? P. Ham 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 82 05-20-2011 05:03 PM
House approves $2B more for 'cash for clunkers shank0668 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 3 07-31-2009 04:36 PM
3rd Annual Corvette Open House at MacMulkin Chevrolet-WELCOMES the ALL NEW CAMARO!! MacMulkin USA - New England 2 04-11-2009 09:16 AM
White House Approves $17.4 Billion Auto Loans to GM & Chrysler josh1147 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 97 12-29-2008 02:21 PM
White House says auto loans deal not imminent camaro5 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 11 12-15-2008 11:44 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.